Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #4471
Callum31

Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
And what year are you living in here ?.

Do you really think Ford should make and market car's as if it were yesteryear >

VZTRT hit the nail on the head, the XR become the price point to where people preferred to shop over the base model.
Whatever year I seem to be 'living' here is not relevant.

What I'm basing on is how much the Australian and global car market has changed so much since. Preferring more plastic, more tech and a more 'sportier' or 'premium' look. My FG MKII XT looks really classy for a base model and gets alot of compliments. I'll only be getting the XR6 Turbo as it's something more unique with alot of power, but still drive my XT as the everyday family car as it fits the bill perfectly.
Callum31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #4472
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Why would you buy a XT or a XR when they are priced pretty much the same..make the XT cheaper and it might have a better chance.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #4473
Callum31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Why would you buy a XT or a XR when they are priced pretty much the same..make the XT cheaper and it might have a better chance.
You can get extremely cheap XT's, dealers will sell them extremely cheap, got mine with 5,000 on the clock for $30,000 a year ago, with mud flaps, matts, etc, window tint, paint protector, etc etc. I know some who would drive an XT over a XR due to the rough lower rolling resistant tires giving a more firmer ride.
Old 24-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #4474
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum31 View Post
You can get extremely cheap XT's, dealers will sell them extremely cheap, got mine with 5,000 on the clock for $30,000 a year ago, with mud flaps, matts, etc, window tint, paint protector, etc etc. I know some who would drive an XT over a XR due to the rough lower rolling resistant tires giving a more firmer ride.
Mate each to his own, the market has spoken, almost no one wants to pay XT money for what they got. Even the hire car companies realised buying XR6s was a fair smarter choice for resale prospects.
Today's buyers generally have a decent car buying budget and they want to get value and some class for their money. The FG has sadly been allowed to age to a point that few buyers are attracted to it.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #4475
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
I know some who would drive an XT over a XR due to the rough lower rolling resistant tires giving a more firmer ride.
Sorry i had to have a laugh at that. My Dad's LW Focus Sport rides a lot harder than my FG2 Turbo, so does my Rio. Dad's Focus has 17's, my XR has 19's. 16's on a modern Falcon is fine if you don't like a car to handle. The people you know who would prefer a base-spec car over something with a bit of excitement must be the only people left who are propping up XT sales. Also, my XRT was only a few grand more than that which makes/made the XT bad value to me.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #4476
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
There's brand new XR6's on Carsales for $30,500 drive away - with 0km on the clock. And surely you aren't listing mud flaps as a featured selling point?

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #4477
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
There's brand new XR6's on Carsales for $30,500 drive away - with 0km on the clock. And surely you aren't listing mud flaps as a featured selling point?
I thought the same thing, and dealer paint protection must be worth something..not.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 24-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #4478
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Late in the BF MK II run, then the FG, Ford focused their efforts to position the XR6 as their fleet favourite at the expense of the XT. The added desirability and features of the XR was an attempt to give large fleets better value and try to improve resale value at the end of the lease. Most 'families' didn't 'choose' an XT/Forte/Gli, it was usually the car their employer supplied, now that car is a XR6 (if the fleet is still Falcon based that is)
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #4479
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Late in the BF MK II run, then the FG, Ford focused their efforts to position the XR6 as their fleet favourite at the expense of the XT. The added desirability and features of the XR was an attempt to give large fleets better value and try to improve resale value at the end of the lease. Most 'families' didn't 'choose' an XT/Forte/Gli, it was usually the car their employer supplied, now that car is a XR6 (if the fleet is still Falcon based that is)
Good points, and the XT had the stigma of being a taxi with many too.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 24-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #4480
malazn mafia
Boss 335

XT Turbo or XT Boss 335 would be terrific. Come to think of it, FG xt has all the features an EL Fairmont did, and more: four power windows, climate control, cruise control, CD, electric seats, cup holders. What more could you need
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #4481
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Whatever year I seem to be 'living' here is not relevant.

What I'm basing on is how much the Australian and global car market has changed so much since. Preferring more plastic, more tech and a more 'sportier' or 'premium' look. My FG MKII XT looks really classy for a base model and gets alot of compliments. I'll only be getting the XR6 Turbo as it's something more unique with alot of power, but still drive my XT as the everyday family car as it fits the bill perfectly.
Funny enough the I prefer the XR to the non XR models because the ride on them is much better then the non XR models. The FG XR was a fantastic jump as it didn't shatter your torso when driving on roads but it had nice cornering for a stock car. The non XR models feel like a boat and they're not for me. Then there is my BFII SR with 'luxury sports' which was neither.

The XR ute is set up real well as it rides bumps really well for a leaf sprung vehicle but can actually carry weight (the tyres are whats it getting a higher payload). But then you look at a base model Falcon that can carry 1t but when there is nothing in the back your bouncing all over the place (which is fine if your carrying stuff every day as it drivers better that way).

But you can get a better car for pretty much the same money.....also you cant buy an XT with a manual anymore so the XR as a daily make perfect sense to me.
Old 24-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #4482
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
$30,000 is a typo, surely. You can pick up an XR6 with the same kays for $25k. $30k on a used XT is madness. Your point does stand- you can get XTs very cheap and they're excellent value. But $30k isn't cheap for an XT!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they dropped XT from the FH range.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #4483
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
$30,000 is a typo, surely. You can pick up an XR6 with the same kays for $25k. $30k on a used XT is madness. Your point does stand- you can get XTs very cheap and they're excellent value. But $30k isn't cheap for an XT!

http://www.carsales.com.au/bnc/detai...=stock-listing

$42,147 for a new XT. Yikes !

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #4484
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekgib View Post
Ouch. Then on the other side of the scale, $23,990 for a demo G6 Ecoboost!

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/deta.../?Cr=0&sdmvc=1
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #4485
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekgib View Post
Its almost $45k for a new XR6 built in the factory. But haven't seen any sold at that price since 08.
Old 24-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #4486
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
yeah i've said the same thing, i reckon they'll drop XT and G6 but i could well be wrong!
Old 24-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #4487
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

XT name should go, always made me think of an grey old computer from the early 1980s.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #4488
Callum31

The new 2014 Falcon WILL have a base model in the model lineup (XT).
I'm not bagging the XR Falcon's at all as I will soon own one.

But most of you just can't see what I'm getting at, unlike alot of other people.
XT's have a smoother ride on harsher surfaces than the XR models, as the XR's have a more firmer suspension set up as well as the larger wheels and lower rolling resistant tires.

I love all the Falcon's in the lineup, all brilliant but I was just stating the sudden change in Australian buyers tastes that's all.

Can't wait for the new XR Falcon though, I think I'll be put down for a XR6 Turbo.
Old 24-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #4489
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
You do of course have proof of this statement?
Old 24-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #4490
Callum31

Adrenaline, 6 pot XT's are dirt cheap, EcoBoost ones? Not so much as where I live there are hardly any for sale, and I saved $10,000. I could get a 6 pot XT for like $20,000 - $30,000. But not an EcoBoost which is what I wanted.
Old 24-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #4491
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not bagging the XR Falcon's at all as I will soon own one.

But most of you just can't see what I'm getting at, unlike alot of other people.
XT's have a smoother ride on harsher surfaces than the XR models, as the XR's have a more firmer suspension set up as well as the larger wheels and lower rolling resistant tires.

I love all the Falcon's in the lineup, all brilliant but I was just stating the sudden change in Australian buyers tastes that's all.

Can't wait for the new XR Falcon though, I think I'll be put down for a XR6 Turbo.
Doesn't the XT get the low rolling resistant Goodyear Excellence tyres, not the XR6?

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 24-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #4492
spyman03
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
yeah i've said the same thing, i reckon they'll drop XT and G6 but i could well be wrong!
Hey,
What rubbish ppl are peddling ATM are you guys talking badge or spec level

Because the white front pic posted must have fallen on deaf ears

Spyman
spyman03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #4493
Taily

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Its almost $45k for a new XR6 built in the factory. But haven't seen any sold at that price since 08.
$33K drive away for a brand spanking new FGII XR6 sedan straight off the Ford website: http://www.ford.com.au/latest-offers/sydney/new-falcon
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #4494
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyman03 View Post
Hey,

Spyman
get up on the wrong side of bed? read the end of my sentence too. Nothing is definite until release, you should know that. Might i add you've also been wrong in a few of your posts here and i didn't jump all over you.
Old 24-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #4495
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think further consolidating models might be a wise decision for Ford, dump the XT to save a few tooling costs. The G6 would fill this market share for most buyers (already does).

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 24-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #4496
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyman03 View Post
Hey,

Spyman
No...the Pic must have fallen on deaf ...Eyes..
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #4497
spyman03
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
get up on the wrong side of bed? read the end of my sentence too. Nothing is definite until release, you should know that. Might i add you've also been wrong in a few of your posts here.
Hey,
Very true there but I had only used the first quote I came across and not yours personally

They have to have a base spec it's a must eg: taxi,fleet

And I've been all over the g6 and g6e they wouldn't stamp the headlights with the logo for nothing.....?.....

Spyman
Old 24-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #4498
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah fair enough no worries

i wasn't all that clear in my post - i think they may can the XT and have the base spec car as the G6, but as far as the naming goes i have no idea

hopefully not long to go before we get a little bit of info from Ford.
Old 24-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #4499
spyman03
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
No...the Pic must have fallen on deaf ...Eyes..
On ya it's obvious that you didn't have anything you could quote from a news article to reply......mate

Spyman
Old 24-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #4500
spyman03
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah fair enough no worries

i wasn't all that clear in my post - i think they may can the XT and have the base spec car as the G6, but as far as the naming goes i have no idea

hopefully not long to go before we get a little bit of info from Ford.
Hey,
If they were going to cull spec it would be mid spec as the xr6 is the best deal ATM

Spyman