Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #451
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
I think Ford Aust should really be commended in the way they have handled this. They have no doubt given this decision lots of thought. I suppose we all knew the writing was on the wall but good to see Ford have announced this miles before D-day. This gives everyone of those 1200 people who will lose their jobs an ample opportunity to transit to new careers.
Now after having read all the posts on this thread, I must say that for those that are carrying on as if they have lost one of their pet dogs to a hit and run, "Get over it". Its a motor car made by a car company that's here to run a business. If Samsung discontinued the Galaxy 4 tomorrow and the masses were crying about it, I would call them Geeks. Ahhh, I know what we can call a bunch of blokes that cry over a discontinued car.... "A bunch of flogs"
I did lose my 20yr old dog to a hit and run 3 days ago.

And I'm sure its not "just a car".
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #452
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-spec15 View Post
There's clearly value in the marketing side of V8SC, otherwise Nissan, Chrysler and others would not be interested in taking part.
The only value is in trying to support the actual event itself. What value has Ford or the falcon gleaned from this event of late.........

Win on Sunday sell on Monday died in the 70's.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #453
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's a massive issue and we never hear about the little guy closing down.
One of the saddest days in my life was when my parents told the family they were closing their 30+ year business.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #454
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
The only value is in trying to support the actual event itself. What value has Ford or the falcon gleaned from this event of late.........

Win on Sunday sell on Monday died in the 70's.
Very true - the emphasis now is on building the overall brand as opposed to just flogging Falcons or Commodores.

That is why V8SC as an organisation has gone to such great lengths to expand the appeal of the sport through the COTF, getting new brands involved and so on. With a wider audience, the sport becomes a more viable platform to advertise/promote.

A big push with the new formula has been to make the sport cheaper for manufacturers. Clearly it was getting too expensive to be sustainable. The intention is that a COTF should cost half of what the old cars cost to build.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #455
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Very sad news , but life goes on.. I will still loev my fords & would continue to buy the brand if i was in the market. I feel for all the employees, im in the same boat, my role & many others have just been outsourced overseas and im left in the cold..Not a pleasant feeling, but it happens . Would have been a hard descision, but how long can they continue to run at a loss ???....
Maybe one day they will return..in the meantime i hope all employees can see it through and find quick redeployment elsewhere when the time comes...
Good Luck to all FORD employees & associated employees
and Good luck to FORD, hope to see many uality products after 2016 continue

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
Old 23-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #456
V8 6I

So is everyone going to your local dealer in September 2016 and order the last one off the line or the first one off the boat?
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #457
M4CO

Old 23-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #458
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Due to change over the G6ET in 2016, would of got another but not to be. Hopefully it will be replaced with something with a bit of grunt if not it will be either a SRT8 or SSV.
Sad but not the end of the world!!!!
Old 23-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #459
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
and the current Explorer/Taurus are fantastic cars.
Having also spent 50% of the last 5 years in the US, I do have to agree, got to love rental Fords
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 23-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #460
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Whens the FH Falcon set to hit?
Old 23-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #461
Swedishmoose

Hi Folks,

well first and foremost I want to let anybody know that i feel for all the Ford workers in Broadmeadows and Geelong who are impacted by this decision.

However, it wasn't really a surprise. Of course people tend to blame governments and politicians and managers for it but the issues were and are a lot more complex.

All local car manufacturers (Ford, Holden, Toyota Australia)are suffering from several impacts which just leaves almost nothing below the bottom line.

But there is a major difference.

While Holden and Toyota Australia have offset the declining demand in Australia for their large cars by opening up more export markets in other countries, Ford was pretty much solely focussing on Australia and New Zealand alone.

Toyota Australia sells 60% of their output in Altona/Vic. to countries in the middle east (United Arab Emirates etc.) and Holden started to sell the Monaro and the Commodore as niche models in North America (USA,Canada) as a Pontiac GTO and Pontiac G8 respectively while the Commodore and Caprice were also sold to the middle east as Chevrolet models.

Even the brand new Commodore will be sold in the US as a Chevrolet model and experts said that if every GM dealer in the US would sell two of these models that would accumulate about 6000-10000 cars a year and that could be the difference between make or break.

I have always been annoyed that Ford US did not open any other export opportunities for our excellent Falcon and Territory.

There was a time, when Ford AUS prepared the Territory to be exported from AUS to the Thailand market.
After Australia signed the FTA (free trade agreement) with Thailand, they changed their mind and did not allow the Territory to enter the Thai market under the freshly signed FTA agreement.
However, the Fiesta, Focus and Ranger were and are still exported from Thailand to Australia within the same FTA agreement.
So we can't export the Territory to Thailand "duty free" but they can flood our market with Fiestas, Focuses and Rangers???

So Ford couldn't sell more cars through exporting because they were not allowed to enter new markets and the domestic market for Ford in Australia was declining rapidly because of the high australian dollar which made imported cars a lot cheaper. And as a few mentioned...there are not really any bad cars anymore.

Holden and Toyota Australia were and are still facing the same circumstances as Ford but it seems that through opening more export markets and improving the economies of scale they got away with it for now.

I still hope things might change because OCT 2016 is still far away. I am hoping that Ford did this to force the government to do something about the high Australian Dollar and if circumstances change, Ford might change their mind.
Although once an announcement like this has been made it is unlikely that it will be pulled back.

Maybe some wealthy enthusiasts buy the tooling and make some very special models of Falcon and Territory on demand. Another idea would be that FPV would be spun of from the main operations and remains as a stand allone FPV business.

I simply can't get my head arround the lack of opportunities FORD USA has given Ford AUS in terms of export markets.

Well...my five cents...I am deeply frustrated and a bit sad. The only reason why I couldn't buy a new FPV F6 or even an XR6 is the lack of wealth. I am taking good care of our AU Falcon and hope that things might change for the better.

Cheers guys

The Moose
10 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #462
yakcam
I drank what?

Well, I feel a little empty inside. The end of an era is nigh.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are now custodians of Fords rich history here in Australia. Look after your Australian built Fords. I think we, as a community need to preserve them, whether in stock form or modified. Make them last for generations to come so that they will be able to enjoy the Ford’s that were made in Australia too. It’s really our responsibility to do that IMHO.

I know that there will no longer be any younger siblings to my Fairmont’s and Falcon, but they’re not dead. I plan on my old girls living long after I’ve fallen off the perch.

Thank you to all the workers past and present who gave us the cars, pride and passion.

And I appreciate that Ford gave the workers 3 years notice of the plans to close production. So many times we’ve seen the lock out situation where workers are suddenly out of work. I tip my hat to them for giving such huge notice to their workers.

But my deepest sympathies to the workers too. I can only wish you the best and hope that you find something fulfilling and rewarding in the future. My thoughts are with you.

Kraig
Old 23-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #463
DANNO178

Yes how long will holden last ?
Old 23-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #464
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty76 View Post
Who won the bloody war. Aussie patriots are driving jap cars and the toffs are driving Kraut cars. Even the police are driving front wheel drive pieces of ****. Fleet cars... what a nightmare for the AUSTRALIAN brand. Could the government save Ford Australia now....The yanks saved Ford USA years back why cant our government!!
Ford was the only US car maker that wasn't saved by the US government....they managed that on their own. But Chrysler and GM needed government help.

But I hear you....every government subsidises their car industry in different ways.

cheers

The Moose
Old 23-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #465
AU Mont
Banned

I wonder if any of these changes will mean dealership restructuring?
Old 23-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #466
GT-spec15

Well said Moose

A healthy export deal or two would have gone a long way towards keeping the Falcon ticking.

I am pretty sure export is the ONLY reason Caprice can still exist, given they sell about two a month here!
Old 23-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #467
Falco GT51
Blue Blood

Sad day! I feel for all the employees, families and related businesses.

Thanks for the past Falcons and I hope the new model goes out with a bang!
October 2016 the last true Australian made car!
2005 BA GT Mll #0697.
1979 XD 5.8 X Pursuit
2015 FGX XR8