Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #31
GYRKIN GT

The fuel consumption figures on the windscreen stickers have nothing to due with on-road testing, it's all done in a Lab
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #32
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT
The fuel consumption figures on the windscreen stickers have nothing to due with on-road testing, it's all done in a Lab
Yes, but they would all be tested in the same manner. So the consumption results in the lab should still roughly correspond with on road consumption results.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #33
GYRKIN GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Yes, but they would all be tested in the same manner. So the consumption results in the lab should still roughly correspond with on road consumption results.
Completely agree with you. All I'm saying is that variables such as airflow or drag simply don't come into the equation because the car remains in a stationary position, inside a building, on rollers for the test to be carried out. As far as lab results corresponding to the real world you're right, particularly with the urban part of the test. The extra urban may be slightly more difficult to achieve but we all know that it can be done.
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #34
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
I’ve got a theory. They’re driven harder.
Damn right, much harder, and faster :

My SP tips the scales at 1920kgs wet without driver or cargo. ATM it's probably weighing in at 2200kgs. 12.6l/100km is good economy though.
Old 15-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #35
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

My sense of logic tells me that they must have some way to factor in drag coefficients and weights to add resistance in the testing. Otherwise there is no logical reason that a sedan will be more economical than an equivalent ute in controlled lab testing if all driveline ratios and engine capacities are equal.

Think of it this way, in the VEII holden are redesigning the junction between the front bar and the front wheel arch without expensive changes in metal panel stamping, as this area is a bad area for aerodynamic drag in VEI, all to improve fuel economy. Why would they be very concerned about it if it was not going to make any difference to the advertised fuel consumption under ADR 81/02?
Old 16-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #36
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT
i agree with GYRKIN GT, basically means wind-resistance is never a factor in testing...