Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #31
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Personally I think a Falcon with a hatch would be a good idea (ala Torana concept from a few years back) you keep the 3 box shape, but with a lot more practicality. Team that up with a legit Falcon box hatch for reps (it would be a better indirect replacement for the wagon than the Territory) and off you go.

Look at the Mondeo, the hatch version looks better and it was practicality FTW as the sedan was dropped because of low sales.

Even though my AU is alot bigger than the Mrs' Fiesta the larger cabin is useless because the entry points are too small. Id take a Focus XR5 in an instant if it was RWD and felt more 'like a Falcon' (not that theres anything wrong with how they drive) and the big, heavy Territory with its pseudo-offroadiness doesn't do it for me. A falcon 3 box hatch/legit hatch would suit me very nicely.

I agree with the OP, Ford and Holden need to think long and hard about the cars the Falcon and Commodore must become to survive/sell better. Improved fuel economy is only the tip of the iceberg.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #32
Renegade

2012 Ford Focus Wagon anyone??

Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #33
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEGADE
2012 Ford Focus anyone??
Shades of CX-7

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 06-03-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Quoting pics on same page
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #34
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

liberty exige, BMW 5 series GT, and others all look pretty boring but obviously a market for it.
personally, as soon as i don't need the big falcodore boot for prams and crap i'll be getting back into a japanese car - the quality of the falcon (my first and probably last ford) is a big let down, as well as the lack of driving character.
The 4.0 inline turbo motor and cheap insurance got me interested, but the terrible dealer network attitude and poor build quality feel have turned me off.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #35
stang65
FPRJET

The only falcon that should have a hatch is a station wagon , anybody thinking othrwise should be hung.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

God I hope not....wagon hatch...just buy a Mondeo.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #37
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
i already don't fit in the back seat of a falcon, i sure as hell don't need a 45 degree roof.
I already don't fit in ANY seat of the Falcon, thanks to an already stupid, roof and door design. So call them big all you like, the fact that I can fit into a Colt, both front and then the rear, far better than a Falcon makes me laugh... And CRY!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Not the prettiest thing, but another example of what Im getting at. the just released US only Honda Crosstour. I see massive growth in this type of vehicle

sorry i can`t see it, that thing is dingo ugly.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 02:00 AM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If you're going to have a 5 door hatch Falcon, make it a nice one:

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 AM   #40
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every car in this thread is a shocker no ifs buts or maybe's. Its enough to turn me off ever having a family even porsche cant make these type of cars look any good
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #41
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

^Truth.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #42
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All cars should be hatch backs in my opinion. They look better (when made from a good looking sedan base, not a Chinese one ^ : ) )and are much more usefull than a sedan
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:19 AM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

falcon sedan is pretty good access to car from doors and booot with fold down rear seats, can fit 3 metre pipe in the car with boot shut, and a big boot whats not too like?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #44
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Firstly, there is a high riding cross over version of the Faclon with car like ride and handling. Its called the Territory. And it sells quite well.

I always have liked the style sicnce the days of the Rover SD1. So the concept of a 5 door hatch version of a Falcon I find appealing. And practical with the large hatch opening.

There are some issues with maintaining body rigidity and and crash stength without adding too much weight. But it could look very cool and have a much wider apeall than a 2 door coupe. The lack of volumes would kill the idea before it started. But I'd buy one in GT spec. :

Coincedentally, I had a close look at one of these yesterday. Just lovely. Dear as poison but nice.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #45
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh goody. Thread 57,696 on the future of the falcon. So much information, so little time to take it all in.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #46
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Are you trying to tell us that the next falcon has to be a giant KF Laser?
I'd rather have no falcon than that sort of abomination!
If it ain't a three-box sedan, I ain't interested.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #47
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Higher hip point, higher ride height, command driving position and a more practical body has to be the main drivers in the next Falcon, luckily Ford has a template to copy...

Ford already has a template and it is called the Ford Territory. It has a command driving position, higher hip height, and a more practical body.

Thanks to its suspension design, the Territory has impeccable road manners. A fact borne out by no less a manufacturer than BMW taking one look at the virtual pivot on the Territory; then copying it in their next release of the X5.

I could rabbit on for hours about how good the Territory is. To be honest, it has two major flaws. First, it likes to drink, particularly in heavy urban traffic conditions. Alternate engine options, or even a hybrid option like the Ford Escape, with a city cycle of 33MPG (US) city cycle, could easily correct this. Second, it has been starved of development funds for critical things like a diesel engine option, a factory LPG, a fresh interior and fresh metal work.

Other than that, the core concept was, and still is, years ahead of its time.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

FG Series II and new Territory will sell well enough in their respective sectors but
what about the terrible sales in every other sector, what about those vehicles?

Fiesta 1071
Mondeo 465
Escape 234
Ranger 4x2 269
Ranger 4x4 403

We keep hearing improvement compared to last year
but none of those cars are attracting substantial buyers,
they are being pummeled in their respective sectors.

The key to fixing that problem doesn't lie with changing the Falcon........:rolleyes:
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #49
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

One word, Territory. And also those coupe/sedan/suv things are stupid cars that will die off once people realise they have all the vices of a normal SUV but without the extra utility. They're an uber-niche vehicle.

Quote:
Its a risk to change such an iconic vehicle like the Falcon, but with a dismal 2500 sales last month its even bigger risk to carry on its present course.
The only reason they sold so few cars last month has nothing to do with customers running a mile from the Falcon, and everything to do with Ford refusing to increase the line rate to pre GFC levels to satisfy customer demand.

The demand is quite clearly there, just that Ford aren't meeting it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #50
BOSHOG
avenge me

the best thing the falcon can do to stay in the market is to lose some weight
Old 07-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #51
Matt P
No Boundries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It's not the Falcon or Territory's fault that Ford sucks in every other category.
While I can see the possibility of a midsized vehicle being built on the Falcon platform,
I think Ford needs to press harder in advertising the rest of its range, they just seem invisible....

Teaching some of Ford's dealerships the finer arts in
respecting customers would be an excellent start as well.......
Don't know where you got your info mate but the new Fiesta is killing it in the small car market the sales dept are having trouble getting supply to sell them. As far as advetising I see more for Fiesta and Mondeo than for Falcon the new Territory one is fairly prominant too.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what changes do you really think are needed?

The FG Falcon is:

The fastest and most powerful Falcon ever made.
The most fuel efficient Falcon ever made.
The safest Falcon ever made.
The most technologically advanced Falcon ever made.
The most richly appointed Falcon ever made.

The FG2 looks like being even BETTER.

It is a Falcon not a Panacea. It is not now nor ever will be all things to all people.

If you want a pretty front wheel drive bubble wagon that weighs 800kg and can transport you and three of your "special friends" to that alfresco where they all have just fabulous hair then DON'T BUY A FALCON.

Falcon is an Australian designed car for Australian people to drive in Australia.

It is important to remember that most of Australia is not central business district and inner suburbs........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #53
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If you want a pretty front wheel drive bubble wagon that weighs 800kg and can transport you and three of your "special friends" to that alfresco where they all have just fabulous hair then DON'T BUY A FALCON.
You tell me this NOW?! ::
Old 07-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #54
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is important to remember that most of Australia is not central business district and inner suburbs........
But it is also very very very inportant to understand that most of the people in Australia do actually live in business distructs or inner suburbs!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
But it is also very very very inportant to understand that most of the people in Australia do actually live in business distructs or inner suburbs!!
A great many of whom take the train/bus/tram rather than drive and many don't even own a car, have a garage or even have a drivers license......

That is why there are bubble cars including the Fiesta and Focus.

And I think you will find that the majority of Australians do NOT live in the CBD and inner suburbs. Most city dwellers live in the outer and satellite suburbs or close regional urban areas.

i.e. In June 2009 there were only 177,000 people living in Sydney itself, the remainder of the 4,500,000 people who live in the greater Sydney area live in other regions.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #56
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
the best thing the falcon can do to stay in the market is to lose some weight
This is very true, but apart from sheet metal change it is the single most expensive thing they can do.

They will never be able to afford fancy materials unless they get production numbers up, which means exports, which will also be difficult as the factory cant handle large numbers anyway. Buggered all round.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #57
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And I think you will find that the majority of Australians do NOT live in the CBD and inner suburbs. Most city dwellers live in the outer and satellite suburbs or close regional urban areas.
Sorry, by inner, I thought you meant metro city suburbs
or as you put it outer and satellite suburbs or close regional urban areas.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #58
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
This is very true, but apart from sheet metal change it is the single most expensive thing they can do.

They will never be able to afford fancy materials unless they get production numbers up, which means exports, which will also be difficult as the factory cant handle large numbers anyway. Buggered all round.
i agree, i understand why its so hard to do, i was just pointing out what i think is the obvious downside. wouldnt it be nice if they did shed 200kg or so but lol
Old 07-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #59
johnny351
used to be johnny260

falcons perfect just as it is
Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #60
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny351
falcons perfect just as it is
no car is perfect. some come close, but a falcon isnt one of them.