Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #31
martyk54

Default Re: The great australian speedo scam

The bloke said that this car was about 5k cheaper than every other similar Navara he could find... The old saying applies here, 'if it's too good to be true it usually is', or is it 'a fool and his money is easily separated'? Take your pick.

And the douche dealer tries to deny any knowledge of the scam. Sure, why would they have such a cheap price on the car to begin with then? Lame.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #32
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

No disrespect to anyone, but this sort of stuff has been happening for years. (not that I condone it).

Me thinks it's a slow week for ACA, so they need some stories to spice things up a little bit

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #33
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Wink Re: The great australian speedo scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Furthermore, those that are trying to bait Hulk into an argument or twist this into him making a police bashing thread are idiots!

Stop being try hards and trying to bait him!

Hulk - Said it before and I'll say it again... ignore the idiots, they have nothing better to do then start crap, because they're too busy wishing they had a goal in life....
^^^AGREED^^^ if i don't like someone i will ignore their posts.. not go on a witch hunt and twist words like JG...

OT my inlaws have a Grandeur that says 78000km's !

NO WAY
more like 200000km's ... in 6 months time i hope to buy them an i30 or similar because this POS isn't gonna last !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #34
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Not really... Its the other way round. My inspection of a police car condition would suggest 400,000km and then I would divide by 5 to get the actual displayed speedo km. (police cars only)

The police should almost be accused of winding back speedos. The condition of those cars never matches the actual mileage.

meh i was in a hurry..

your a wasted talent, you missed your calling

it sucks that it happens, but it's nothing new, been going on for decades..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #35
Scott142

A mate of mine had a VN Exec. Commodore with 40,000km on it.....
Although it sounds like a croc he got it from his grandad who bought it new, and became too old to drive not too long purchasing the car, so it just sat in the garage for yonks!

Needless to say my mate still had trouble selling a 20 odd year old car with only 50,000kms, after he was done with it haha.
Scott142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #36
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Furthermore, those that are trying to bait Hulk into an argument or twist this in him making a police bashing thread are f'wits! Stop being try hards trying to bait the poor *****! Deal with your own pathetic lives....
Sorry.... what bait? Hulk baited himself by making this very... odd comment about police cars and their mileage/ condition. He started the thread about winding back.. then goes off topic and has a go about police cars?
Keep hurling the personal insults all you want...

Quote:
Not really... Its the other way round. My inspection of a police car condition would suggest 400,000km and then I would divide by 5 to get the actual displayed speedo km. (police cars only)

The police should almost be accused of winding back speedos. The condition of those cars never matches the actual mileage.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
60000km is the magic number as its low enough to be described as like new but a few km to explain any imperfections.
Bingo. Correct answer.

Then again, low kilometer cars do exist, but one giveaway i've seenis that fakes and wind-backs are, if anything, too good for their age. My elderly mother hasa 1996 Mazda 121 bought shortly before my father died, and it only has 29,000km on the clock. However, you can tell it's age by a few simple things...the paint isn't the best even though it gets washed regularly, there's a bit of grime here and there in joints of the interior plastic, a few tiny dents and shopping trolley marks, a crack in the plastic of the rear bumper from some idiot whobacked into her...but still a very clean and neat and tidy car, until you look really close.
The couple of cars I have come across that were later revealed to have been wound back were just too good, too neat and tidy, way to clean and untouched...they had obviously been detailed to within an inch of thier lives, with many parts just plain obviously replaced, like carpets and door handles and things.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #38
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

*Retracted*
Old 28-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Been going on for years. K's do not mean too much for me as I look at the condition of the car, then look at the clock. A car in good condition could jusst be well looked after .....

There is absolutely no way anyone can look at a car and determine its Km's on condition of it .....

For an example ......

My 95 LTD has done 250,000 k's. It was a country car that is very clean with the leather in great nik ..... could wind the clock to 150,000 no probs and get away with it

My BA is a city car and has done 130,000. It looks like its an ex taxi with around 500,000 minimum. It looks like I have wound it back!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #40
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

What's the deal with newer cars like FG's and VE's. Can you just get different cluster or does the cars computer keep a log of the km's and regardless of the cluster it will show the same km's?

I know I've read on multiple occasions people righting on forums, "I'll buy the cluster if it has less than xxxxxx kms on it".
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #41
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes... Swap the cluster over and bobs your uncle.... Sadly the cluster holds the information not the BEM / ECU.

I'm surprised Ford / Holden have not fixed this issue, but I think they must replace more BEM's and ECU's then clusters otherwise they probably would!

I would never wind a car back, I wouldn't even put a new cluster in and get the dealer to set it up, makes the car look too suspect (putting an FPV cluster in an XR6 Turbo for example)... There's too many shonks out there!

I've got a mate who thought he would be smart and stamped the book in his ranger up till 100,000 kms the last time he was in for a service, the cars only done 60,000 kms, if he goes to sell it before he gets to 100,000 hes going to look like a turkey!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Yes... Swap the cluster over and bobs your uncle.... Sadly the cluster holds the information not the BEM / ECU.

I'm surprised Ford / Holden have not fixed this issue, but I think they must replace more BEM's and ECU's then clusters otherwise they probably would!

I would never wind a car back, I wouldn't even put a new cluster in and get the dealer to set it up, makes the car look too suspect (putting an FPV cluster in an XR6 Turbo for example)... There's too many shonks out there!

I've got a mate who thought he would be smart and stamped the book in his ranger up till 100,000 kms the last time he was in for a service, the cars only done 60,000 kms, if he goes to sell it before he gets to 100,000 hes going to look like a turkey!
storing the odo data in the cluster almost makes it too easy does`nt it, i wonder how many car brands do it this way?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #43
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Been going on for years. K's do not mean too much for me as I look at the condition of the car, then look at the clock. A car in good condition could jusst be well looked after .....

There is absolutely no way anyone can look at a car and determine its Km's on condition of it .....

For an example ......

My 95 LTD has done 250,000 k's. It was a country car that is very clean with the leather in great nik ..... could wind the clock to 150,000 no probs and get away with it

My BA is a city car and has done 130,000. It looks like its an ex taxi with around 500,000 minimum. It looks like I have wound it back!

How true this is.

A car could be treated like a POS. Get dinged up by parking, not washed , sit under trees near the sea and look like it's done 500,000K, yet in real life, it's only done 50,000K.

Or you could get a car that is a daily. Left parked under cover, washed religiously every weekend and look like it's only done 50,000K, yet in real life it's done 500,000 K.

Sounds farfetched....maybe....but in reality it is fact. The only sure fire way to know the exact mileage, is for it to be a family car from new.

As I stated before, this story by ACA is just because things are slow this time of year and they're looking for people to watch their show.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #44
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with Jim Goose & RodP , glad I'm not the only one who picks up on this .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #45
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

My wife's car has 22,000km since she bought it new in '07.

If you look at it you'd think I've missed a zero (or two).

The birds look at it and think "meh... that's got enough already", and so they move on to crap on another car.

The dings, scrapes, and scratches are visible at night. Don't let me start on the interior. I sometimes lay the car on the side on the council strip for the council recycling truck to empty it out.

If I was a car thief looking to ransack someone's car I would pass on this car. Actually, no, because I would be a nice car thief, I would steal this car, ransack it, and it would come out better than it was before I stole it.

Anyway, to sell this car I might need to "adjust" the odo the other way in case people think I've wound it back.

When I put the Futura for sale she suggested we sell her car and she can keep the Futura instead. I pretended I didn't hear what she said, mainly because of the way she treats hers, and that within one week of the Futura's Shockwave being resprayed she managed to scrape the bumper bar.

"No, I don't remember, did you see me do it?" she said.
"No, but I heard it".

Her next car will be a battered ex taxi. I will need one where the clocks turned over a million in case she says it's done too many kms... she wouldn't tell by looking at it's condition.
Old 28-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #46
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

All the grey imports coming over from Japan with low kms will all be wound back to some degree. Over there it's almost a national sport.

This is cut and pasted from the Delica forum from a guy who splits his time between here and there so he's seen it up close -

"The system works like this first owner sells car with 120K-
Clock is wound back to 60K
Then changed onto new owners name.
Government registration then shows 60K.
Next owners sells when car is near 100K.
Another hair cut back to 80K.
Changed into new owners name.
Government registration shows 80K
Car goes to auction with 120K and you guessed it
Now wound back to 100K
Papers show 100K but car really has 200K.

Why this can be done so easily is that car owners normally sell back to the yard they bought from.

This method also applies to safety inspections.

A car can have for example 60K at last safety inspection. 18 months later before next inspection it has 80K wound back to 65K then deregistered and sent to auction. When deregistered they often take the last reading from the safety inspection sheet and not the reading from the odometer so deregistration paper may show either 60K or 65K. An export certificate is different again to the deregistration paper and often these will have the last inspection distance and not current distance....... unfortunately it is so widespread and no matter what new rules they create to try stop the situation it just keeps happening. One of the biggest scams is that car yards/dealers can actually write their own auction reports and have them submitted without anyone from the auctions even seeing the car let alone inspect them. That is how easy it is to fudge the paperwork in regards to distance, condition etc."

So there ya go, now you know why so many 10-20yr old imports have such low milage when you see them on the forecourt. And don't think the aussie importer hasn't then given the vehicle another little tickle if he thinks he can get away with it as well. There's more than one well documented case on the Delica forum where the local dealer has been caught out. Like has been said over and over, forget the numbers and look at the vehicles condition. My Delica shows 120k on the clock and I very much doubt it's genuine but it's in good nick and rust free and I'm only the second owner since it got to aus in 04 with an indicated 65k on it then. The aussie owner has looked after it and serviced it regularly and handed over all the reciepts for work done since it got here so I'm happy to know my vehicle is a good one.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #47
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Sorry.... what bait? Hulk baited himself by making this very... odd comment about police cars and their mileage/ condition. He started the thread about winding back.. then goes off topic and has a go about police cars?
Keep hurling the personal insults all you want...
Why not consider my comment about police cars in the spirit of its intent. My comment was around inspecting a car and being able to match the condition to the km. Police cars are the exception due to how poorly they treat their cars. That's it.

So come on goose stop trying to pick a fight.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #48
The Outsider

Quote:

just when you think HULK BA has run out of stupid he comes up with another gem!
The Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #49
raptorv8
Banned

Quote:
Why not consider my comment about police cars in the spirit of its intent. My comment was around inspecting a car and being able to match the condition to the km. Police cars are the exception due to how poorly they treat their cars. That's it.

Compare a cop car to one ive owned after 100000ks and the cop car comes up trumps 99% of the time.
raptorv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #50
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Sorry although they get a hard life they are maintained a lot better then your average car
On topic I find it difficult to believe that anyone can pick a cars kms by looking at it. I'll post a pic of my old TE and my focus you tell me the kms
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #51
Andy777

Kms on cars are not a major concern for me, would rather a straight car that's never been accident or a major accident with 200,000 then one with 50,000km and had more hits then Elvis.

I was looking for a car for my sister at a dealership the odometer said 120,000km then when I checked out the engine bay it had the "timming belt changed at 150***km" and the sticker was dated 18 months earlier they probably wound 100,000km off

About 2 month I saw my old twin cam corolla for sale on gumtree which I sold in 2006, from memory I sold it with 188,000 on the clock but the add had genuine 176000km car lol and that's 5 years later also I know as a matter of fact that it was wound back before I got my hands on the car as I knew the old owner, but the condition of the car when I bought it, body wise, interior and mechanically could of passed for under 100,000 it was one well looked after car
Andy777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes it`s pretty hard to pick on some of them, and some guys are very very good at detailing them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #53
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Sorry although they get a hard life they are maintained a lot better then your average car
On topic I find it difficult to believe that anyone can pick a cars kms by looking at it. I'll post a pic of my old TE and my focus you tell me the kms
Me first Dallas

How many on this rig ya reckon?

Old 28-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #54
protd
TUFF FORDS

it looks like a ex police car, so make sure you devide by 5
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Another thing I find is that people seem to be obsessed with the kilometers travelled when they buy another car, personally I'd rather have a car which has done 50,000km+ more if it had a full service history, rather than one with less km travelled but a patchy service history.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #56
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
it looks like a ex police car, so make sure you devide by 5
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... actually 151000kms
Old 28-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #57
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Me first Dallas

How many on this rig ya reckon?

judging by all the spraypaint to make it look new, i'd say around 160,000km?

^^edit: damn i was close lol
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #58
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
judging by all the spraypaint to make it look new, i'd say around 160,000km?

^^edit: damn i was close lol
What spraypaint ??

It's called elbow grease and attention to detail , try it some time...
Old 28-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #59
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ok i wasnt going to as it adds nothing, but how many kms do you think were on this (Although i may have posted on here though, so without looking)

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #60
Cano90
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
I did this to my xr6 and the dealer swapped the kilometers over from my original cluster. They also log it in their records when and how many km are on the vehicle when it was done. I tried to change the cluster myself beforehand and it immobilised my car.
Cano90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post