Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I dont see the GS swinging buyers over, but the GT I could see it happening.
Actually the GS-GT thing will be interesting.

Is a badge ACTUALLY worth $10,000?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #32
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think it'll be too drastic. I mean how many Ford guys bought HSVs when FPV struggled with the BOSS 5.4L? From alot of articles I've read the HSVs still seem like great packages as far as dynamics go, but just don't have the outright power anymore.

Looks are very subjective. I personally think new HSVs are ugly, and the FPVs are much more appealing to me, but you do get the guys who like the styling.

I don't think HSV will lose too many loyal customers that have bought HSVs for years, but they may have trouble bringing in new ones.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan

I don't think HSV will lose too many loyal customers that have bought HSVs for years, but they may have trouble bringing in new ones.
This IMO is the single hardest thing for FPV/HSV. From the outer I feel HSV have done a better job, which has come through being around for longer and perhaps projecting a clear message continually.

The 5.0 is the greatest thing to happen to FPV..ever...so its now or never.

You cannot continue a business with just repeat buyers, you need to grow. Like I said before, I dont think their products are that bad, but there is a stigma attached with them.

Hopefully they go to town on the FG2 GTE, thats the dark horse at the moment. They seriously have done nothing with that car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #34
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

What about production capacity? Does FPV have the ability to produce as many, if not more cars than HSV?

If not, then there is no hope of out selling HSV.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

It is if you want brembo brakes or a colour screen... Add those bits on and its only a few dollars for the badge..

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 17-11-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
What about production capacity? Does FPV have the ability to produce as many, if not more cars than HSV?

If not, then there is no hope of out selling HSV.
Actually they have more capacity then they have in the past, simply because so much is now done at Ford before the cars get to FPV.... E.g. GS only needs wheels and stripes fitted now, and a starter button. The rest is all done at Ford, so a GS should run thru FPV in about half an hour!!

FPV could produce 2500 -3000 units a year no problem. They would need more staff but they have the facility to do 50 a week or 10 a day.. They have done it in the past!!

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 17-11-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 17-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #37
kezzer

I'd consider a miami, but with all the massive discounts going on at HSV lately it would have to be REALLY convincing.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #38
VICFPV

I have seen more E3 GTS then FPV.
FPV need to get their marketing right and they will come to buy it.
Lot of discounting is going on at HSV at present.
Have not seen one TV add for FPV. Best marketing tool to spread the word and getting the joe public interested.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

SSV is better value if you compare trinkets (even if the FG makes the SSV look ancient on the outside). The GT is a great all round pack.
Badge had nothing to do with it.

Mind you if the price stays the same but you get the luxury pack then I can see people swaying.
Old 17-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #40
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Reading over on ls1.com a few are looking at the FPVs so there should be some moving over. If I remember correctly, FPV outsold HSV for a 6 month period back in the BA days so anything is possible with a decent product.

Quote:

More power and Brembos would say yes.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #41
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
SSV is better value if you compare trinkets (even if the FG makes the SSV look ancient on the outside). The GT is a great all round pack.
Badge had nothing to do with it.

Mind you if the price stays the same but you get the luxury pack then I can see people swaying.
Ahh.. but does the SSV come with a periscope too see the S/C FPV's disappearing off into the distance ahead though?

Old 17-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #42
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I know Holden blokes who have been swayed by both the XR6 Turbo and F6 Typhoon. No reason why the Miami can't do the same.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ahh.. but does the SSV come with a periscope too see the S/C FPV's disappearing off into the distance ahead though?
I'd say they'll be to busy playing with the colour touch screen to notice....mind you that might be the excuse as they crash through someone's front lawn.
Old 17-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd say they'll be to busy playing with the colour touch screen to notice....mind you that might be the excuse as they crash through someone's front lawn.
Maybe the color touch screens will be made illegal... they're a distraction!!!

FPV are selling more responsible vehicles without them.

Old 17-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #45
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is the SSV being brought into this? Isn't this thread about FPV taking potential sales away from HSV?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Reading over on ls1.com a few are looking at the FPVs so there should be some moving over. If I remember correctly, FPV outsold HSV for a 6 month period back in the BA days so anything is possible with a decent product.

More power and Brembos would say yes.
Brembos were an option on the 5.4 GS, very few were optioned. There is an upgraded brembo option of BF-FG GT and a brembo option upgrade from PBRs on the original BA GTs, again very few were optioned although $1000 for stripes was quite common.

The power difference is quite insignificant as it is a supercharged engine that can be flashed to excess of a GT for a small amount of money.

As I stated above, it will be interesting to see what actually happens....
Old 18-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Why is the SSV being brought into this? Isn't this thread about FPV taking potential sales away from HSV?
Possibly to stir up holden fanbois, do you think it will work?
Old 18-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #48
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote:
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #49
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Hhmmm nice bait, but is it prawns or caviar hard to tell sometimes..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #50
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" Lot of discounting is going on at HSV at present. "

This speaks volumes
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
" Lot of discounting is going on at HSV at present. "

This speaks volumes
It also gives you an idea of profit margins on HSV.
The biggest issue is whether the GS will bring in more sales for FPV, it looks like basically transferring
the evaporated XR8 market over the fence into FPV is probably more than justified for the increased return.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #52
The Snout

There's a FPV GTP ad in the latest Wheels mag and I dunno, it just comes across as half arsed. God bless Moff and all but the ad is just a quote from him talking about the car and some pics of a few features.

HSV marketing s**ts all over FPV. Holden ads come across as though they are actually excited about their product and that the reader should be too. Ford/FPV come across like they would like the reader/viewer to buy the car, but no big deal if you don't.

I think the new cars won't have much impact until Ford/FPV stop drifting along and go out and make people excited about their cars again.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
There's a FPV GTP ad in the latest Wheels mag and I dunno, it just comes across as half arsed. God bless Moff and all but the ad is just a quote from him talking about the car and some pics of a few features.

HSV marketing s**ts all over FPV. Holden ads come across as though they are actually excited about their product and that the reader should be too. Ford/FPV come across like they would like the reader/viewer to buy the car, but no big deal if you don't.

I think the new cars won't have much impact until Ford/FPV stop drifting along and go out and make people excited about their cars again.
Ads are for fanboi's, test drives are for SERIOUS buyers....

Old 18-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Ads are for fanboi's, test drives are for buyers....
I remember when VE SS was first released, a lot of dealers would not give test drives,
they reasoned that real buyers knew what they were getting and the rest were joy riders.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I remember when VE SS was first released, a lot of dealers would not give test drives,
they reasoned that real buyers knew what they were getting and the rest were joy riders.
That maybe the case but no amount of ads are going to sway a buyer who's already made their mind up are they...
Ads are for Brand/product awareness, they don't really seal a purchase.
Anyone who's seriously going to consider either product will test drive and make an informed purchase that way...

Old 18-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #56
The Snout

Quote:
Ads are as much about winning over the next generation of buyers as convincing the current ones. They should excite a 13yo kid and make owning a GT a goal as much as peak the interest of someone who could buy now.

So yep, ads are also for fanboi's, and if they want to stick posters of GTs all over their walls, all the better.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #57
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Ads are as much about winning over the next generation of buyers as convincing the current ones. They should excite a 13yo kid and make owning a GT a goal as much as peak the interest of someone who could buy now.

So yep, ads are also for fanboi's, and if they want to stick posters of GTs all over their walls, all the better.
Yep I agree with that... ads are like planting seeds... they reap long term results, not short term...

Old 18-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #58
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
That maybe the case but no amount of ads are going to sway a buyer who's already made their mind up are they...
Ads are for Brand/product awareness, they don't really seal a purchase.
Anyone who's seriously going to consider either product will test drive and make an informed purchase that way...
Agreed, except for this line. As we have read countless times in other threads, lots of people don't actually test drive the competitions offerings. Call them fanbois etc, but it's fact.

Whether HSV buyers are tempted to buy Blue is important, but for me... What's their son/daughter going to want to buy? Which is why I agree with the first half of your post.

At the end of the day we know that team Red is more popular. Holden and HSV have done the hard work of creating a huge fan base. In my opinion, Fords best chance of outselling the Reds is based purely on how the next Gen car buyer sees the two brands. We will possibly bridge some of the gap in the next 5 - 10 years (if things continue as it is now), but by exciting the next generation of buyers we will have the chance to out sell Red. Why do we think HSV are making exciting ads? Not really for those that are 'in' already, but those who aspire to be 'in' with posters on their walls and flat brimmed baseball caps!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #59
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FPV need to work much harder and strive towards the goal of selling cars, not using excuses about what their rivals do or dont do. Having a bigger badge number doesnt always sell cars you know, they couldn't do it back in the day when HSV only had the R8 with the 260 kw LS1, we had a 30 kw advantage then on paper and it did nothing for us.

People won't test drive your cars if they dont know about them and to be honest not many people know much about FPV at all, so I wouldnt just say ads are for fanboi's as you put it. If that was the case no one would bother.
Old 18-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #60
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
id take a 9l over a 5l anyday.
I hear that they will include a box trailer with fuel drums as you will need it
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post