Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #31
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG

also, does alcohol taste that good that you want to drink it without getting ****ed? ive never tasted an alcoholic drink that tasted better than orange juice, chocolate milk or even a cold water
do you have a problem with booze or something?
when you are grown up you might be able to enjoy having 1 glass of wine with friends at dinner, or enjoy 1 beer after work. alcohol is not just about "getting ****ed".
I feel this issue is all about maturity, something some of the posters in this thread obviously don't have, comparing one glass of wine to one hit of heroin WTF?

one drink isn't going to get you smashed, and if it did then your BAC would reflect this anyway.
I'd feel safer on the road with mature people with 0.05 and under BAC than with foolish kids with cars trying to speed through traffic and drifting on wet roads with their friends egging them on.
Old 14-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #32
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did a defensive driving course this week cant remember how many drink driving deaths for over .05 but I do remember that speeding deaths was lower than deaths due to bad roads ,drink driving and faulty vehicles
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I suspect this is a red herring designed to take media focus off all the other problems going on up here.

0.02 will NEVER work as there are situations where medicines and some foods will increased the level of alcohol in the bloodstream of even the most ardent teetotaler.

It is amazing some of the selfish and naive posts that have been made lately on this forum.

If YOU don't drink then why do you think you have the right to tell others how to live their lives.
The anti-smoking, anti-drinking, (anti-gun), anti-whatever brigades seem to think that they are evangelists and their personal beliefs are the way the truth and the life.

Unfortunately for every anti-whatever group of which YOU are a proponent there is another anti-car loony out there whose mission in life is to prevent US from owning or driving performance cars.

While THEY do not have the right to tell us what to do YOU do not either.........
This is also why a lot of work place alcohol impairment testing is no longer zero,
things like mouth wash can up your BAC to 0.02 just like that,
it's well documented in WH & S circles...

Politicians don't understand that case after case could be thrown out of court.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #34
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
do you have a problem with booze or something?
when you are grown up you might be able to enjoy having 1 glass of wine with friends at dinner, or enjoy 1 beer after work. alcohol is not just about "getting ****ed".
I feel this issue is all about maturity, something some of the posters in this thread obviously don't have, comparing one glass of wine to one hit of heroin WTF?

one drink isn't going to get you smashed, and if it did then your BAC would reflect this anyway.
I'd feel safer on the road with mature people with 0.05 and under BAC than with foolish kids with cars trying to speed through traffic and drifting on wet roads with their friends egging them on.
how old do you think i am? going by your post you think im 21 lol

im not against alcohol at all, if its consumed safely and in moderation. what i have a problem with is Australian drinking culture. why do i need to get drunk with friends to be social and Australian?

for the record there is no way in hell that drinking 1 beer should be compared to injecting heroin..... 10 beers maybe (never had heroin so i dont know for sure)
Old 14-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #35
.OZZY.
[OZY 40T]

Quote:
0.02 will NEVER work as there are situations where medicines and some foods will increased the level of alcohol in the bloodstream of even the most ardent teetotaler.
So how can they justify giving P platers a zero BAC limit then?
.OZZY. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #36
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OZZY.
So how can they justify giving P platers a zero BAC limit then?
And further to that, if a 0.02 BAC will 'never' work, how has the Swedish and Norwegan governments made it law? Banned mouthwashes, certain medicines and food stuffs? :

Of course it can work, it's just that some don't want to comply.
Old 14-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #37
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought the road side sobriety tests were a better indicator as to how ****ed you are than a BAC, as everyone is different, someone could be over the limit considerably but still coherent and have most motor skills, someone else could be .04 and absolutely everywhere and unable to stand up straight, yet by law they're still OK to drive.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #38
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I suspect this is a red herring designed to take media focus off all the other problems going on up here.

It is amazing some of the selfish and naive posts that have been made lately on this forum.

If YOU don't drink then why do you think you have the right to tell others how to live their lives.
The anti-smoking, anti-drinking, (anti-gun), anti-whatever brigades seem to think that they are evangelists and their personal beliefs are the way the truth and the life.

Unfortunately for every anti-whatever group of which YOU are a proponent there is another anti-car loony out there whose mission in life is to prevent US from owning or driving performance cars.

While THEY do not have the right to tell us what to do YOU do not either.........
And on the basis of the above mentioned argument, I'd prefer to see this thread locked.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #39
Deco28

If this law is enforced you couldn't drive your family to dinner, buy a beer and drive back home. You'd be fined.

Drinking driving is bad, but putting it down to 0.02 is pure revenue raising as someone pointed out before, 0.05 is a scientific level, 0.02 is well based on nothing but a few scandinavian countries who no doubt have better roads then us.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #40
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Plenty of the questions here are answered on the Wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #41
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
If this law is enforced you couldn't drive your family to dinner, buy a beer and drive back home. You'd be fined.

Drinking driving is bad, but putting it down to 0.02 is pure revenue raising as someone pointed out before, 0.05 is a scientific level, 0.02 is well based on nothing but a few scandinavian countries who no doubt have better roads then us.
what i was trying to get at before i was called a teenage binge drinker was this, does a beer or wine really taste so much better than a coke, water or juice thats its worth pushing the law to the limit?

i know if i had one or 2 beers and decided to drive home id be worried about going over the limit, so i personally dont see the point.

i think some people drink alcohol in these situations because its the socially acceptable thing to do
Old 14-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #42
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
what i was trying to get at before i was called a teenage binge drinker was this, does a beer or wine really taste so much better than a coke, water or juice thats its worth pushing the law to the limit?

i know if i had one or 2 beers and decided to drive home id be worried about going over the limit, so i personally dont see the point.

i think some people drink alcohol in these situations because its the socially acceptable thing to do
I'm 20 and I love the taste of beer! Much healthier then a coke cola too, not to mention that ********** they call juice they serve at most restaurants.

Who cares if it's socially acceptable or not. Lifes too god damn short to worry all the time, so why not have a few drinks with ya mates, it's fun. Why is Australia turning into a sterile nanny-licking country?

I never drink when I drive btw, but 1 or 2 beers isn't going to affect the mature aged man with abit of food in him, as science pretty much already proves.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #43
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Plenty of the questions here are answered on the Wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Great little pick up.
So at between .030, and .059 almost the range they want to stamp out, your judgements that are impaired are :
Alertness
Judgment
Coordination
Concentration

But according to everyone here, thats fine.
Old 14-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28

Drinking driving is bad, but putting it down to 0.02 is pure revenue raising as someone pointed out before, 0.05 is a scientific level, 0.02 is well based on nothing but a few scandinavian countries who no doubt have better roads then(sic) us.
They probably have better road users too...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #45
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

being a virtual non drinker, .02 makes me potentially dangerous. there are others around as well who cannot hold their liquor
i am not suggesting that the limit should be .02 or even .00 because i have not thought enough about, and therefore do not know the facts
however, i do fail to see why someone needs even 1 beer to enjoy themselves out at dinner. it seems to be an ego thing. drinking coke or cordial just isn't right - our mates would laugh at us. i am not suggesting that people should be sober at all times, but if the car is being used, i cannot see why a bit of planning or alternative drinks cannot be used
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #46
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Great little pick up.
So at between .030, and .059 almost the range they want to stamp out, your judgements that are impaired are :
Alertness
Judgment
Coordination
Concentration

You are totally missing the point. No one here would think drink driving over 0.05 .... the current legal limit ....... is a good thing.

The fact is the reasoning behind lowering the rate has nothing to do with catching the more dangerous serial offenders. They could impose what ever they like BUT there will be those that drink and drive. Catching the mums or dads who have had a drink at dinner is not going to get the serial offenders off the road. You know .... the dangerous repeat offenders?

1. Don't bring in a law to penalise the majority for doing nothing wrong because of a few that will continue to do what they want ... no matter what penalty is in place

2. Don't bring in laws that only appear to be doing the right thing on the surface but DO NOT fix the problem.

3. There will always be the "I don't so no one else should" mentality which is always from the minority. It almost becomes a religion to some and should not have such a loud voice!

4. Unless there is undisputed evidence that a major shift in law should be implemented, then do not do it just because it looks good on paper. I cannot see any evidence that it will get the .05 plus drivers off the road? Please help me here and provide????

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #47
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Thank god for the all knowing Queensland government!
Old 14-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #48
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Great little pick up.
Alertness
Judgment
Coordination
Concentration

Not only everyone here, but the democratically elected Government of this country and the majority of nations in said link.

The .05 limit is not to allow drink driving but to provide a safety net for those who have a drink or two, not to mention those who had a big night then drive the next day and would show a positive reading.

Most people sensible people know this, others may compare it to illicit hard drugs.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's not up to any of us to decide whether 0.02 or any other limit is acceptable,
governments will do what they please and we either like it or lump it.

I for one will be very careful about how much and when I drink, there is no margin for error now...
After a big night out, the time to reduce to 0.02 as compared to 0.05 could be an extra 3-4 hours...
Old 14-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are the effects of caffeine on driving skills?

How about adrenaline or serotonin? Both of these can inhibit your judgment and reasoning you far more than a small amount of alcohol.

Smoking causes impaired oxygen carrying capability therefore restricting brain function slightly as does air pollution so should all city people be banned from driving?

Alcohol reduces skill. How far? Does it make an experienced driver operate a vehicle like a P plater? If so then all P platers should be banned.

Fatigue reduces skill. Should all tired people be banned from the road. This will make school drop offs and pick ups very quiet.

Should people with colds or flu be banned from the roads?

How about sad or stressed people who have recently suffered a family loss etc?

There has to be reality in all of these rules as we are all human beings and live lives not just exist.

You people are your own worst enemies. If you keep just accepting the wowsers making it tighter and tighter then eventually after they have found that speed cameras, no alcohol, lower speed limits etc. all still do not prevent road deaths someone is going to come up with "the cars must be too powerful" and all of your nice shiny V8s and turbo 6s will be banned outright.

And the final question. Of all these countries with 0 or 0.02 BAC, how many have no road deaths?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #51
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I don't agree with the .02 limit. At least with the .05 limit people knew they had a bit of breathing space. They could enjoy a drink or 2 at dinner, have dessert / chat and after 30 min when finished know that they would be legally fine to go home.

.02? I mean, is this level so low that you cannot actually feel any alcohol in your system (and feel 100% fine), yet still register a BAC?

This is not about the taste of a drink, or the fact that there are other alternatives to consume that are non alcoholic.

What would you do if the law changed... hmmm perhaps FORCE all people who are single to drive a sub 1000kg / 1500cc car (after all, this will be better for the community, the roads, the environment etc etc etc)..
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #52
kezzer

Quote:
What are the effects of caffeine on driving skills?

How about adrenaline or serotonin? Both of these can inhibit your judgment and reasoning you far more than a small amount of alcohol.

Smoking causes impaired oxygen carrying capability therefore restricting brain function slightly as does air pollution so should all city people be banned from driving?

Alcohol reduces skill. How far? Does it make an experienced driver operate a vehicle like a P plater? If so then all P platers should be banned.

Fatigue reduces skill. Should all tired people be banned from the road. This will make school drop offs and pick ups very quiet.

Should people with colds or flu be banned from the roads?

How about sad or stressed people who have recently suffered a family loss etc?

There has to be reality in all of these rules as we are all human beings and live lives not just exist.

You people are your own worst enemies. If you keep just accepting the wowsers making it tighter and tighter then eventually after they have found that speed cameras, no alcohol, lower speed limits etc. all still do not prevent road deaths someone is going to come up with "the cars must be too powerful" and all of your nice shiny V8s and turbo 6s will be banned outright.

And the final question. Of all these countries with 0 or 0.02 BAC, how many have no road deaths?
Most spot on reply I've read. Not to mention 'older' people as their reflexes certaintly ain't as fast as younger or middle aged people :togo:
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #53
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah, you'll just bend over and take it like the rest of us.

You're pretty much powerless like the rest of us..
Old 14-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #54
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
QUEENSLAND will consider a new blood alcohol limit for motorists as low as .02 in a bid to cut the state's horrific road toll.

A Drink Driving in Queensland discussion paper, to be released today, looks at the possibility of lowering the general alcohol limit from .05.

Norway and Sweden have the lowest road toll rates in the world and both have a blood alcohol limit of .02.

The Scandinavian countries have four road deaths per 100,000 population – Queensland has eight. Premier Anna Bligh and Transport Minister Rachel Nolan will ask Queenslanders to comment on the lower blood alcohol limit and other tough drink-drive measures.

"The paper canvasses dropping the blood alcohol limit lower than .05," Ms Bligh said.

Captain Bligh.." you said "speed was the cause of the horrific road toll, now its alcohol, whats next, V8's ?"

I TOTALLY GET THIS BUT WHAT ARE THE STATISTICS PER CAPITA IN CANBERRA ???? if Canberra go to .02 . then i'm for it all over the country.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #55
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couple of beer's...... And the missus start's looking good.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Couple of beer's...... And the missus start's looking good.......
Old 14-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #57
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about when you have finished a big night and your going to drive home the next day? How long will you still be over a 0.02 limit?
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #58
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I also disagree with .02 how can tougher laws/fines be expected to work when there are so many repeat offenders blowing way over the current legal limit on a daily basis regardless of current heavy fines/driver suspensions?
It simply can't.

If people decide to have a big night and get behind the wheel now with fines in place there's nothing at all going to stop them with a lower limit because obviously worrying about breaking the law is the last thing on there mind.

Some might say, "well hang on common sense for any adult would be to realise when you've had to much to drive" but unfortunately by current DD statistics there are alot of adults out there with little to no common sense.

I agree with others here in saying that .02 is for the most part going to punish the wrong group of people.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #59
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wat a can of worms !!!!!
alcohol can have different effects on all people (wieght ,frame,male/female)
ive a mate (absolute alco)and will drink a bottle of jimmie in 3 drinks,can stand up straight and have a intelligent conversation with anyone
alcohol doesnt seem to effect him as bad as others
(doesnt help being a hard drinker for 30 odd years,yes his health is bad)
ive another mate who is 70 years old and can handle a car better than most 20-40 years old i know (doing speed way for 50 years will help)
u get a manority ALWAYS
it should be mandatory for d/d cadidates to help the SES pull maimed people from cars as a resut from drunk drivers,that wont happen
there has been a few cases in melbourne where a female was done a few times for d/d and had the breath/ignition lock
she just got some else to activate the ignition
0.02 well whether its good or bad
do we actually see the polititions living with these rules ????
if the stas actually PROVE that drink driving is the MAIN coarse for road tolls then im all for it ,but its not
its revenue raisin 1st and formost
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #60
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I can see how people feel about this being simply as another way of the dear QLD government attempting to make more money.
To be honest, its true. Why on earth would the BAC be .02 when just ONE drink would put you over this? Like many have said, just make it 0. But wait, that will upset the simple people, who can't think 5 minutes in front and realise .02 is no different from 0. Just means that semi-sensible (ones that drink before driving BUT under the 0.05, as opposed to not drinking at all around a drive) people are now going to be hit up for money.
Looks like that b**** is right on the MONEY again...
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post