Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Everyones buying a new car.... is it your turn?

I never buy brand new, I try and buy low Km and 1-2yr's old still with a bit of factory warranty left, this way I don't take such a massive hit in depreciation and still drive a newish muscle car........in saying that though I have spent a fortune doing this and always taken a loss on every vehicle, do I care, not really, can't take it with you :o)
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
HULK_I6T
Banned

Buying new is a statement to society and your peers.

It says "i deserve to drive new, i can afford it"

So if your amongst peers all buying new, if you dont do your bit, your saying "i cant keep up with you". It gives them an edge and an easy way to shut you down.

Do you like it if you go outside and your neighbour has a brand new car sitting there in his driveway for you to look at? and he makes a smug comment about it every time you see him? Then your old car is sitting there?

Plus being a car enthusiast, we should be the ones buying new more often, not pampering an old used car.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 01-05-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

So if your amongst peers all buying new, if you dont do your bit, your saying "i cant keep up with you". It gives them an edge and an easy way to shut you down.

Do you like it if you go outside and your neighbour has a brand new car sitting there in his driveway for you to look at? and he makes a smug comment about it every time you see him? Then your old car is sitting there?

Plus being a car enthusiast, we should be the ones buying new more often, not pampering an old used car.
This is the funniest thing I have read this morning. Hulk you live around and are friends with wanna be's.
6 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:

Well, as an avid car enthusiast, I love pampering my old car, that is why I am an enthusiast.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:

Only if you suffer from peer pressure.
Quote:
I regard my old cars as superior to the neighbors new cars. Vastly superior actually.
Quote:
Yeh nah.
A car enthusiast to me is someone who is passionate about what they drive. Age is irrelevant.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Good work Hulk (sarc) you've now got a thread based on envy!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Only if you suffer from peer pressure.

I regard my old cars as superior to the neighbors new cars. Vastly superior actually.

Yeh nah.
A car enthusiast to me is someone who is passionate about what they drive. Age is irrelevant.
This sums me up perfectly.

There is no way I would consider a new car up to the standard of my 'old' vehicles. My daily driver is 40 years old being a '75 model, and I upgraded that from a '92 model, never felt any need to worry about what my neighbour drives, or my mates drive. The thought has not even crossed my mind.

Our newest car is our H3, which is a 2009 model, and it's my wife's family bus to ferry the kids around (I wanted a territory F6X or dual cab 4x4), and yes it is actually her car and there is no way she will get rid of it for a new(er) car.

If it is attention you seek and people fussing about your car at a BBQ, I see people walk straight past all the 'new' cars to crowd around a 40 year old Falcon (or Holden/Valiant etc), guys at servos snapping photos and coming over for a chat, kids (and adults) giving you the thumbs up from their dads 'new' car as you drive by, dads snapping photos of your car as you cruise down the street, people standing around your car in car parks when you come out from the shop posing with your car, snapping more photos, cops pulling you up just to 'check out the car'(in a good way), getting pulled into an RBT site and cops forgetting to breath test you as they are too busy chatting about your ride etc etc, it's a daily every day, at times annoying part of life for the driver of an XB (as well as many other 'old' cars).

I bet any of this has not happened once to the driver of a 'new' nissan patrol or toyota hilux or audi s4 or even your next door neighbour brand new mazda cx5 (what ever that is).

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 01-05-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

Your starting to get a bit to obvious now. But keep fishing...........
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

All jokes and snide remarks inside, I seriously think you need to seek help from a mental health perspective if this is really what goes on in your mind, and the above is not just a troll post. So if you really feel like what you have typed above please go and see someone today.

This is not a joke, and I do work in an industry where I deal with mental health issues and patients on a daily basis and I have had mental health training.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

5 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Though get involved with the horse people, they're rocking 200 series Land Cruisers, expensive floats but when they come to you for some work done they seem to have an issue paying up.

Tighter than a fishes ***.

But $130,000 tow rig.

Or people with flashy cars but owe tons of money go the bank.

They have the illusion of owning flash cars, they don't own ****, the bank does.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A statement to society

Most people are idiots and more often than not what it really says is "I'm a shallow moron that is prepared to get myself into all sorts of ridiculous debt so people think I'm a legend and a success with my overpriced ******* and oversized house, when really I can barely pay the rates and fill the tank with E10 when no-one's looking"

You need to stop giving a **** what everyone else thinks of you. That game never has a good ending, and I imagine there would never by a point reached where you could be content. All that effort, and its for someone else, seems daft.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
superyob
Banned

Quote:

Hulk, I endeavour to never insult anyone I am having a difference of opinion with and I will not start here. But I will say that this post casts doubt on your maturity levels and is possibly the most stupid post I have seen on AFF...

I know I bit, but your fishing is starting to bore many people...
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I worked with a guy who was on 6 figures and owned 5 cars. He told me one day "If I sold all 5 of my cars I would be lucky if I got $15,000" He just loved keeping this old, basic cars.
I know people who have bought new cars, I have never had anyone making smug comments towards me about their new car.

Don't buy a new car, Hulk. I will feel like a peasant if you do and I will need to buy a new one to be a better person than you.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I worked with a guy who was on 6 figures and owned 5 cars. He told me one day "If I sold all 5 of my cars I would be lucky if I got $15,000" He just loved keeping this old, basic cars.
I know people who have bought new cars, I have never had anyone making smug comments towards me about their new car.

Don't buy a new car, Hulk. I will feel like a peasant if you do and I will need to buy a new one to be a better person than you.
Saw an interview with David Thodey (CEO of Telstra) earnt $24M over the last 3 year. He drives a toyota corolla.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Saw an interview with David Thodey (CEO of Telstra) earnt $24M over the last 3 year. He drives a toyota corolla.
MR Murdoch drove a Cortina wagon well beyond his $$$$..
Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn better tell all those guys with XY GT s that they need to sell there aged cars and buy a 60,000 dollar brand new car, because a 60,000 dollar new car is gonna hold its value way better than an 'aged' XY anyway
Old 01-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Don't let them get to you Hulkster, they are simply jealous of your exceptional thread starting abilities.
Time and time again you come up with these superb topics.
Keep up the good work, I congratulate you.

On to the topic, I've only owned 1 brand new car, it was ok.
I value the car, not its age, so whether it's new or 50 years old doesn't really come into it.

You're dead right though, many seem to have a need for the latest car and those gadgets that go with it.

A friend of mine who I haven't seen in some years seemed to swap his cars for the later model every year or so. It gained him very little except an ever shrinking bank account.
He waffled on to me about how it had all these fancy gadgets, however most of them were fairly useless.
I still have the same cars, the newest being 2002, the oldest 1972. I have 6 cars, he has 2. I am happy, I don't know about him.

The new car smell that's often talked about doesn't interest me at all.
I don't buy a car for it's smell, I buy a car for how it performs, overall.

The other major problem with new is the incredible depreciation. I can't live with that.

Age just doesn't come into it, and there's barely a car newer than around 2005 that I even like. They're all too ummm, modern.
I'd sure like to get some more old cars, and will soon enough. The next will probably be around 1965...
5 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #18
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my new daily driver was made in 1991, cost me $700
its convertible, can go anywhere, fits in any parks as its only 3m long and gets all the ladies (well the missus loves it)

tried the new car thing and sold it 11 months later after i got bored, much prefer older cars and don't really care what anyone else thinks
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Stuff what the Jones' and society think, drive the car you want Hulk and stop caring about what other people think.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #20
Cranky243

Any car is good as long as its not tuned by INTUNE ;)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
Spinner77

Hey guys, why not just let the man go out and buy?

It will do a lot less harm, certainly physically, probably psychologically and maybe financially, than a "gentleman's extension" procedure.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Or do i let everyone get the better of me.
I never would have thought that you of all people had an inferiority complex.

http://www.healthyplace.com/psychological-tests/
Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #23
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I agree with one thing. A lot of people I know have popped up with new cars in the last six months, whats with that? As for the rest, stop worrying about what anyone else thinks and just enjoy what you have. Gawd it's like the schoolyard and the mines bigger than yours thing goin on

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 01-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
prydey
Rob

like moths to a flame
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #25
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting post here from another thread, sort of puts things into the perspective I mention earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I was out and about in Browns Plains this morning when a metallic emerald green VG Valiant 2 door rumbled passed me. In total awe, I followed this beast for a few blocks and pulled up next to it at a set of lights so I could give the occupants the thumbs up. I then went about my business. Once I had finished my business in Browns Plains I headed home on the Mt Lindsay highway and drove past a line of what I assume to be Ford's latest and greatest. To me, although they were Fords, they might as well have been a queue of wardrobes for all the notice I took.

While this is not an interesting story in itself, I can make the following observations based on the roughly 130 mechanics students I teach in years 10 to 12, to back up my point of view. My students:will always argue about which latest and greatest is the fastest:choose a Nissan Skyline to race on Xbox: absolutely drool over old American or Aussie muscle.

I think the auto stylists of the late 50s to the early 70s got it right in a way that will never be repeated again...

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

4 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #26
Sioso
irregular member

Had no plans for a new car as my ute is only 12 months old but then I saw the Golf R wagon has been released today.
I'll give the local dealer a ring this arvo, and I may have a new car in the garage by November.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:32 AM   #27
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
I agree with one thing. A lot of people I know have popped up with new cars in the last six months, whats with that?
Personally, I think that's partly to do with the big leap forward in in-car entertainment tech and safety tech over the past few years, such that people feel the need to upgrade. The software / firmware in new cars these days are also upgradeable - just as you would update the OS on your computer - so it is, to an extent, future proof.

Top 5 reasons to buy a new car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y__87iOCLP0

I will likely buy a new Mondeo Titanium Ecoboost in the short to medium term future. But as much as I'm drooling over the new Mondeo, I know I'm going to miss my Fairmont. The trick is to work out a way to afford to keep both ...
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 01-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #28
Cranky243

I'm starting to think mods like his posting topics :/

Guys....he doesn't care what others think his goal is to cause arguments...nothing more and nothing less.

We know it,mods know it and so does himself
Old 01-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I buy a new car usually every 12 months. Not keeping up with the Jones, just my car addiction really....

Current two i have now I will keep for atleast 3 - 4 years as I actually enjoy them.

Each to their own I say, plenty of people like to have new safe cars these days, and finance is pretty cheap atm so why not!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #30
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The FG's probably the newest car ill ever own, to many old ones I'd rather restore.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

3 users like this post:
Closed Thread