Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #31
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU:PROJECT:UTE
I can say that its does work and the percentage it saved me per tank of fuel is 12.2%, not huge but noticable when I fill an 82litre tank its makes enough saving to pay for itself in about 3months. I have noticed a slightly crisper throttle response too.

JC-XRWgn have you noticed any change in exhaust smell?, I cant describe it but it is just different post fitment to my ute. Just wondering if it is just me or if someone else has noticed this too?
That's a pretty good saving. Haven't noticed any smell yet, but it's only been in for 2 days, and I've only driven it once. But I will pay attention next time I take it for a spin and see. I'm gussing the exhaust smell will be more like it should, and less like unburnt fuel.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #32
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
I have scratches and bruises all up and down my arm from trying to undo the inlet manifold bolts. Fat arms and confined spaces just don't go. Anyway, I had to take the inlet manifold off to fit the metal gasket supplied in the kit. AFAIK, it's only falcons that get the gasket. Next time I'll pay a mechanic the 2 hours labour they wanted!
If I had known you were going to do this, I would have volunteered to assist... At least my scrawny arms would have saved you a few scratches. Would have been more fun than putting in a pr of leaf springs!!
Old 24-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #33
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
If I had known you were going to do this, I would have volunteered to assist... At least my scrawny arms would have saved you a few scratches. Would have been more fun than putting in a pr of leaf springs!!
Did you do the leaf springs already? How does the car look? A bit lower at the back than the front, I'll bet.

And I didn't start til 3pm, so finished around 8.30pm (with half hour for dinner).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 24-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #34
GK
Walking with God

Thanks JC for giving it a red hot go.

I'm really looking forward to what you find, particularly on gas as well!

With all your technical and practical expertise, I really think you need to move yourself and the family down to Melbourne! I know of two houses around the corner for sale! LOL

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #35
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did you do the leaf springs already? How does the car look? A bit lower at the back than the front, I'll bet.

And I didn't start til 3pm, so finished around 8.30pm (with half hour for dinner).
Yup - the session on the mustang was cancelled, so I thought, why not fit the springs, can't be too hard. Bugger that.... Rule no.1 - if there is rain forcast, don't work on a car in a carport built on a down hill run.

She sits an inch lower than the front, and looks fully laden! Needs new shocks now as she is occasionally bottoming out.

I ended up starting at 3pm and didn't finish til 8.30pm as well, with dinner and rain interuptions. mmmm... cold wet concrete with water running down my back...
Old 24-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Yep, I had the cold wet water thing too, as I had the car out of the garage as I had to drop the bottom radiator hose, so didn't want coolant in the garage. Managed to save 11 of the 12 litres that came out though, but some of it did end up on my arms and front - warm coolant laden water is no fun either, and it stinks!

I am running Monroe GT gas with Reflex technology (or seomthing like that) in the back of the wagon (and front too). They're pretty good, and only about $120 a pair.

Last edited by JC; 24-10-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 24-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #37
GK
Walking with God

By the way JC, what type of convertion are you going for?

The tank in the back, or the donut one in the wheel well?

GK
Old 24-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #38
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
By the way JC, what type of convertion are you going for?

The tank in the back, or the donut one in the wheel well?

GK
I'm getting the system from an EL sedan, so have no choice but to put the tank in the cargo area of the wagon. Eventually, I will look at getting the donut and half petrol tank setup, but that will have to wait until the demand for gas tanks reduces.

Getting back to the other vapor - Vaporate. I should mention, I suppose, that I lost one of the collets that goes on the fuel injector. So the current setup only has 5 of the injectors done. Anyway, I rang Vaporate today, and they are going to send me a replacement collet at no charge. Can't get better service than that!

Old 25-10-2005, 12:22 AM   #39
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Eventually, I will look at getting the donut and half petrol tank setup, but that will have to wait until the demand for gas tanks reduces.
There are many LPG installers booked up for a few months because of the increased demand. I guess someone apart from the Federal Gov's coffers have to benefit from this situation!

Quote:
they are going to send me a replacement collet at no charge. Can't get better service than that!
Very decent of them to do so. Well you will be the test case for LPG I would reckon.

GK
Old 25-10-2005, 12:39 AM   #40
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU:PROJECT:UTE

JC-XRWgn have you noticed any change in exhaust smell?, I cant describe it but it is just different post fitment to my ute. Just wondering if it is just me or if someone else has noticed this too?

I noticed that on mine to, dare I venture to say it smells cleaner? I also noticed that I don't get the black residue at the bottom of each tail pipe anymore. I used to clean it off every week when I washed the car, only it would be back the next week. Now I don't get it at all. My wife's car gets the same thing (new mazda sp23) and she does not have vaporate (not made for her car). I wonder if that is unburnt fuel collecting and evaporating leaving the stain?
Old 25-10-2005, 01:40 AM   #41
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

I have heaps of that black stuff on my exhaust tip, and I know it's because the car runs rich. I will have to wipe it off and see if it returns (once I have all 6 injectors done).

GK - the LPG doesn't utilise the fuel injectors, so I'm not sure what you mean by test case.

Old 25-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #42
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
GK - the LPG doesn't utilise the fuel injectors, so I'm not sure what you mean by test case.
JC, you're going to have to give me a technical brief on this. Why doesn't the gas system use the injectors? Help me understand how it works.

If the gas system doesn't use the injectors, the vaporate system only works on petrol then? If so, why are you fitting it if you're getting gas soon enough?

GK
Old 25-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #43
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

The gas gets mixed in the intake tube. When you have gas switched on, the injectors are turned off (petrol still circulates through the sysem, but doesn't make it into the cylinders).

I bought the vaporate before I even found a second hand gas system, but only fitted the vaporate last weekend (I've had it in the box for 2 weeks). I am going dual fuel, so the vaporate won't be a total waste, though I doubt I will get full benefit from it.

Old 27-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #44
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
The gas gets mixed in the intake tube. When you have gas switched on, the injectors are turned off (petrol still circulates through the sysem, but doesn't make it into the cylinders).
Intake tube? The intake tube is where? as opposed to the injectors. I thought that the injectors are the only way for fuel to get into a fuel injected engine. JC, please unpack it for me a little more.

Cheers
GK
Old 27-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #45
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

The air intake. The big black pipe from the air box to the throttle body.

You can get gas injectors in a dual fuel application, but you normally only have one or two, and they are tapped into the inlet manifold, and the normal fuel injectors are still rendered useless when running on gas using this method.

There is only one application that replaces the petrol injectors with gas injectors, but this is a straight gas setup only, and is yet to make it to the marketplace - it's about 9 to 12 months away.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:51 AM   #46
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Fuel usage results for first tank of juice 14.30 l/100km. This is worse than expected, but the car had lots of little trips and not the usual mix it normally has - I only took it to work once in the 10 days, normally that would be at least 4 times. I also filled it to the brim. If I had stopped when the hose clicked off, usage would have been 13.8 l/100km - still not great, but better.

The next tank should be a better guide. If it doesn't get any better, then all the vaporate has done is to give a better idle cold and hot (even the missus commented on that!).

Old 07-11-2005, 03:59 AM   #47
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Fuel usage results for first tank of juice 14.30 l/100km. This is worse than expected, but the car had lots of little trips and not the usual mix it normally has - I only took it to work once in the 10 days, normally that would be at least 4 times. I also filled it to the brim. If I had stopped when the hose clicked off, usage would have been 13.8 l/100km - still not great, but better.

The next tank should be a better guide. If it doesn't get any better, then all the vaporate has done is to give a better idle cold and hot (even the missus commented on that!).

What was your previous figures? Be interesting to see if it does make a difference on a normal week, lots of small trips make a big difference. You have to remember the system relies on heat at the injector, without that heat it will make no difference. I stand by my previous comment that if your average running is small trips with very little time at proper operating temp, this system will do nothing for you. Keep us updated!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #48
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Previous best was 13.77, average figures between 14.4 and 15.5. So 14.3 isn't bad, but I could get that without vaporate, but not with the number of small trips (10 to 15kms or less each way).

Old 08-11-2005, 12:12 AM   #49
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
The air intake. The big black pipe from the air box to the throttle body.

You can get gas injectors in a dual fuel application, but you normally only have one or two, and they are tapped into the inlet manifold, and the normal fuel injectors are still rendered useless when running on gas using this method.
Ok, making more sense now. I had a good look at the set up the other day too and that helped me get a grip on what you were saying.

Cheers

GK
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #50
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if its been mentioned before but the vaporate is only effective once operating tempreture is achieved. so to and from work u may feel the difference but any short trip will not do much.
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #51
Hords
Treasure your balls?

If this vapourite system is as good as it claims, wouldn't the major aussie car companies be fitting them from new? It would add bugger all to the base price due to the quantities they'd purchase. Plus they'd have the great pleasure of advertising improved economies. Sounds like crap to me and I'm disappointed that a chain like Repco have jumped on board.
Hords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #52
GK
Walking with God

Question

JC, what's the overall verdict on this? I haven't heard anything about it (from anywhere) for ages.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 17-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #53
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

I heard that Repco have dropped the product and are not selling it anymore.
XRLNT-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #54
Hords
Treasure your balls?

JC, where are you? You're input and advice is always appreciated.
Hords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 02:13 AM   #55
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hords
JC, where are you? You're input and advice is always appreciated.
I'm here. Around town, this makes little to no difference at all. But on the highway, where we used to get 10-11l/100km, we now get 8.5 to 10 easy. Now, there have been more mods & maintenance since the vaporate, like BA Pod Air box, new plugs and leads, etc , so it's hard to know what is what. But I'm not going to remove it to see if it makes a difference the other way.

Based on the crap in that book "Secrets" I'd say if you're sceptical about it working, then it won't work for you, lol.

Seriously, there's better things to spend nearly $400 on - 4 tanks of juice, for example. At a saving of 1l/100km on highway only, it will take me around 20 years to make this money back. So, would I get it knowing what I know now? No. Why? Because (I'm not sure it works, or not).

Old 18-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #56
GK
Walking with God

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'm here. Around town, this makes little to no difference at all. But on the highway, where we used to get 10-11l/100km, we now get 8.5 to 10 easy. Now, there have been more mods & maintenance since the vaporate, like BA Pod Air box, new plugs and leads, etc , so it's hard to know what is what. But I'm not going to remove it to see if it makes a difference the other way.

Based on the crap in that book "Secrets" I'd say if you're sceptical about it working, then it won't work for you, lol.

Seriously, there's better things to spend nearly $400 on - 4 tanks of juice, for example. At a saving of 1l/100km on highway only, it will take me around 20 years to make this money back. So, would I get it knowing what I know now? No. Why? Because (I'm not sure it works, or not).
Come on JC, why knock "Secrets"? It'll only ward off the good that's meant to come to you! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 18-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #57
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
hey, arnt you losing performance when you are using less fuel?

i paid 60cents a litre for gas today. It is ALMOST becoming pointless having LPG on your car these days..... mind you i was in the country!
yea right!!! even at this grossly inflated price we'll do the math 60c/L V 1.30-140c/l allow for 10% extra fuel used on gas (unless you have injection then no difference) and it's still 1/2 price i filled up yesterday for $28 the guy infront of me paid $80 it was at coles and we both used the 4c docket after whic I paid a massive 48.5c/L I'll stick with BBQ fuele thanks :
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post