Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
AU looked like poo in 1998
Still looks like poo in 2006
Will look like poo in 2098

Cars either look good or they don't. We become accustomed to things over time. Example to people who worked in the same company for many years. Think back to the ugliest person at that place when you started and look at them today. Chances are that they don't appear as ugly as they used to. This is because you have become accustomed to their appearance. They are still just as ugly as they were back then.

FF
Go away or I will make you go away.
Your opinion is your right but if you come into the AU section and start ИИИИing on AU's I will ban you. Period.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #32
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Is he a mutant ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #33
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Is he a mutant ?
Yes..

Old 18-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #34
Falcon Freak
Banned

Casper - the person who started this thread posed a question as can be clearly seen. I chose to answer the question from my perspective. For the record if I had to choose between my current good looking BA and my previous ugly AU, I'd take the AU 9 times out of 10 as it is the better car to drive. Period.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Casper - the person who started this thread posed a question as can be clearly seen. I chose to answer the question from my perspective. For the record if I had to choose between my current good looking BA and my previous ugly AU, I'd take the AU 9 times out of 10 as it is the better car to drive. Period.

FF
10 out of 10 actually, the BA is a plain, boring, rep mobile with all the characture of a VZ commy. : Given the one good thing was ment to be its looks.. I guess the BA just lost out in a big way.

As for looks, its subjective but I think the AU looks considerably better than a VT. The BA... well, after seeing 30,000 of the stocko XR6's a day trundled to work by there mindless drivers who wouldnt know a Ford from a Trout.. I'll happily drive what you consider "poo".. and at least look like someone who has a clue.

Old 18-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #36
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Go away or I will make you go away.
Your opinion is your right but if you come into the AU section and start ИИИИing on AU's I will ban you. Period.
lmao , yeah no AU haters here ty . :lookedat:

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #37
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Which all proves that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally liked John Bowe's comment in his RPM interview on Sunday when asked about the best (race) car he had driven to which he replied:

I think that looking back at cars is a bit like remembering old girlfriends. With the passage of time they both get thought of better than they really were.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #38
Falcon Freak
Banned

Thank you Russell. As can be clearly seen the AU's styling will always be an emotive discussion point. I believe that it will continue to polarise people's opinions for many years to come.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #39
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Cars either look good or they don't. We become accustomed to things over time. Example to people who worked in the same company for many years. Think back to the ugliest person at that place when you started and look at them today. Chances are that they don't appear as ugly as they used to. This is because you have become accustomed to their appearance. They are still just as ugly as they were back then.

FF
Your argument is flawed. There is no such thing as ugly or not ugly, there is only design and function and visual appeal.

The less the appeal, the "uglier" soemthing is said to be. Even though in so many areas, the AU is a functionally better car than the AV (sorry BA), many didn't find the shape appealing.

On the other hand, many love the AV (sorry again BA) shape, it is appealing, but that doesn't make the AU ugly or the AV (there's that slip again. BA) beautiful. It's a matter of appeal. Even if I say "that's ugly" or "that's hot", it doesn't make either so.

The AU has less appeal in the general public than the following model, that's all!

But not in this place. So be careful how you express your appeal opinion! :

I'm done!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #40
DailyDriver

My Ford gets plenty of looks on the road, & I know when a car looks good!

My VX series 2 SS still looks great, & only the Commodore haters think otherwise......

All Go.......VXSS.....380bhp

All Show...2001 AU2 SR...210bhp...SOLD!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #41
jspec_sti

Quote:

FF
How unusual, another BA owner bagging out the AU...

Funnily enough, I've even had a few people ask me of my AU is the model AFTER BA!
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #42
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Myturn

in the words of some body..Why are people so un kind... :sm_headba
IMO my xr was never ugly just misunderstood this is why I brought it new + would not change it for anything currently on the Market :hihi: + as the multitude are finding out I and 1798 taxi drivers are rite : or maybe I"M just misunderstood to... :

luv my AU

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #43
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
in the words of some body..Why are people so un kind... :sm_headba
lol , i believe those were KAMAHLs words ...lol :

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #44
russky
Road Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman
for example the equivalent 'all curves' VT commodore shape now looks tired and dated...while (in my opinion of course) the AU (especially AUII+) seems to look more contemporary...especially if you stick in sporty round lights in the rear, which seems to be another fashion of late). The radical 'edgy' styling of the AU may not have paid off for Ford initially, but in hindsight, it just might be a winner...

J
Just look at the new mercedes CLS. a clear display that falcon is actually more attractive to people's eyes these days. (For those who haven noticed, the rear end is pretty much the same)
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #45
xd5.8l
Banned

Personaly one of the biggest things that puts me off a bombadore apart from the rough as guts ecotec and oil burning gen 3 are the window frames and their poxy felt channels and rubber surrounds that have been arround since VN days.
Holden got away with murder selling these pieces of s$%t. Drive an AU with 200,000 and then an equivelant commo and the contrast is unbelievable to say the least. An ecotec at 200,000 leaks worse then an old crossflow while the AU i6 is almost impervious, apart from the odd crank seal and small weap from timing case.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #46
boodek
Ferret

I'm a bit surprised on an open forum such as this that people are so intolerant of opinions that don't support their own. I own an AU3, I drive a BA for work, I have owned a VT in the past. In their own way each is a good car performing a similar function. To continually bag the GMH product and refer to them as 'Crummydores' and such is particularly childish and does nothing to promote the image of this forum to the visitor who may want to become a member. Remember that you are representing a group of enthusiasts keen to promote a particular car, so perhaps be a little more open minded?...
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #47
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodek
I'm a bit surprised on an open forum such as this that people are so intolerant of opinions that don't support their own. I own an AU3, I drive a BA for work, I have owned a VT in the past. In their own way each is a good car performing a similar function. To continually bag the GMH product and refer to them as 'Crummydores' and such is particularly childish and does nothing to promote the image of this forum to the visitor who may want to become a member. Remember that you are representing a group of enthusiasts keen to promote a particular car, so perhaps be a little more open minded?...
I understand your sentiments boodek and of course you're entitled to them.

A question though, why is our passion for the AU and defence of it so hard for you to understand if you have worked out that we here "are representing a group of enthusiasts keen to promote a particular car?" That particular car is the AU, there are plenty of forums for other models with similar minded enthusiasts elsewhere.

We love the AU here, if someone doesn't and are only interested in bagging it, why would they even post here if not for picking an argument?

Put it this way, would a labour supporter join the Young Liberals? Would a supporter of Hawthorn Football club, go to all the home games of Essendon?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 01:09 AM   #48
jVenomXR8c
Starter Motor

Default Predator Vs Terminator

The way I see it, the BA shape is very mechanical, its a machine, its the Terminator! whereas the AU styling is very organic looking, like a living thing, its an animal, its the Predator!.
Personally I love both cars but in my opinion you cant go wrong with an AU, especially a series II or III XR which I think are the best looking cars Ford Australia have ever produced.
jVenomXR8c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #49
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

LOVE MY BABY..........
AU's all the way..............
i guess its because of the reasons that we discussing here had me thinking about
enhancing the looks of my AU year back...... and once again with new set of
modifications for the upcoming Auto shows its sure to turn more heads.....
AU's were never ugly our opinions were influnced....... !!!

cheers
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 02:56 AM   #50
fo3oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I am finding more and more people have made mention that the AU "seems to look better now than it used to". Maybe more aftermarket styling support is around now more than it used to be ... who knows.

But I agree ... the AU looks much better now that it used to when it was first released at the end of the 90's.

What made it not look so good was it was released after the successful EF/EL range that everyone seemed to love.
thats true, I loved the ef/el falcons, I think they're the best falcons ever designed at least since the 60s. Really nice design for 1995, and ages well. I hated the AUs , gradually started to like the au XRs though.
I think partially why AUs are starting to look good is the BA. I might get flamed for that, but before the BA I thought AUs were ugly, it's only after seeing BAs everywhere that the bigger rounder looking AUs looked decent to compared to the older ELs.
Most people like the look of the BA and got used to them. When you compare them you kind of see where ford was going with the AU and the next time you see an AU it doesn't look as bad.
I've got an EL (gave away my bias there ) and was always planning to get a BA eventually, but now I've got second thoughts. I think the EL at ~1500kg is heavy enough, and if the BA is as heavy as I've heard I'm probably not going to get one. Might have a look at AUIIIs instead.
What I really want is a ghia EL, low km's, all options and throw a BA XR6T motor in it. Next best option is a AU XR6 or vct ghia for now
fo3oz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 07:41 AM   #51
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU's rock. Anyone who thinks the AU is ugly, are all big fat doodie heads :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #52
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

hahaha, i wonder if Volvo drivers ever talk on this subject?
Old 21-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #53
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
hahaha, i wonder if Volvo drivers ever talk on this subject?
They are too busy extricating themselves from roadrage situations...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #54
SIKXR8220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVenomXR8c
The way I see it, the BA shape is very mechanical, its a machine, its the Terminator! whereas the AU styling is very organic looking, like a living thing, its an animal, its the Predator!.
Personally I love both cars but in my opinion you cant go wrong with an AU, especially a series II or III XR which I think are the best looking cars Ford Australia have ever produced.
Amen to that! :

SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #55
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

I couldn’t agree more. The AU is experiencing its first renaissance. I too hated them a lot when they first came out…the oval shaped body of the forte’s clogging the streets and the ubiquitous choice of maniac cab drivers.

As soon as models II and III came out everything changed of course. The options being thrown into the car left all other similarly priced cars for dead and the power of the XR’s is pretty hard to challenge by local rivals.

The BA’s where a great (albeit heavy) leap and thanks to those AU prices dropped swiftly. Great for the second-hand buy like myself.

Modifications galore have popped up based on the superb Ford engineering so the power of these animals just keeps rising, and of course the aesthetic mods are outstanding. The TS50 reins supreme in my mind as how a performance car needs to look.

I find now in fact that the more I look at the BA/BF’s the more I see they’re based on the AU. Take off the plastic of them and I’m guessing you’d see something remarkably similar (just don’t check the engine bay).

I turned to the XR6 based on reading how well they perform and the market price was too good to resist. She’s proven a reliable beast (minus prior owner related issues) and I can’t help but stare at them every time I see the AU drive past. I know there are many happy years left on the clock.

Long live the AU!!
Old 21-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #56
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

AU doesnt looks as bad as it did in my opinion, time has been kind to it and it looks better than the VT, but personally i still think that both the EF/EL and the BA trump it for looks and interior practicality (mainly talking about the lower specs here), i think the Fairmont Ghia/Fairlane and LTD were pretty good.

At least the polarising styling brought reliable mechanicals down to a reasonable price 2nd hand, the interior and the huge pillars for me will take a bit of getting used to. I dont think the AU will ever be a swan, but it will certainly look better than the 1000's of thrashed, abused and riced up VT's and it may gain a resugance in popularity as prices drop, im yet to see many AU's in the wrekers yet.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #57
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Yeah your right , i dunno why but everytime i see the grill and lights on a standard AU it reminds me of a Whale for some reason ?? (or a big cheesy grin/smile).. i dunno why ..lol..
Also i noticed the other day that those SV6 crummydores ( or whatever they are ) look smaller than a normal commodore from the rear - and the lights/on the rear end / and the complete rear end looks like a 1999 mitИИИИbishi magna rear end ! ..
lol. Same with me.. I actully always refered to it as the ' whale teeth ' grill.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #58
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Long live the AU the thoughts of the AU gettin better with age only just popped into my mind the other day even before reading this thread
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post