Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #31
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AL-
Luvinmyeb heres a site that might help http://www.charitynavigator.org/
I chose initially to donate to Worldvision because they seemed to be acting quicker but I'd say Red Cross, Care Aus, Oxfam etc are all well established names.
Another group was www.doctorswithoutborders.org
http://www.careaustralia.org.au
http://www.unicef.com.au
http://www.oxfam.org.au
http://www.redcross.org.au
http://www.worldvision.com.au
Thanks for that -AL-, I'll take a look at them.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #32
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Ian too true mate.You have to wonder though about the good ol USA government who explode bombs in Iraq every minute worth 1/2 million dollars and are the last to offer a realistic hand. I dont blame the people just their greedy government. I do think that children can be fed if unneccesary invasions like these dont sap the worlds' wealth.
Perhaps it was because it was considered to be so far away from the US that they offered such a small amount to start with? Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the US governments actions in ANY way, just trying to get an understanding myself of why the most powerful and richest country in the world was so stingy in the face of such a huge catastrophe.

Only thing I can think of is the insular attitude that seems to be so common over there, that the world outside of it's borders doesn't matter, or maybe doesn't even actually exist...

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 03:18 PM   #33
b2tf
not here much anymore

Probably didnt want to spend money on people they're worried they might have to kill in a few years time?
Old 01-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #34
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the US governments actions in ANY way, just trying to get an understanding myself of why the most powerful and richest country in the world was so stingy in the face of such a huge catastrophe.
You're kidding right? Their economy is snafu right now.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #35
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
You're kidding right? Their economy is snafu right now.
Perhaps their economy has been stronger then it currently is, but they're still doing a lot better then a lot of other countries, and I personally don't think there is an excuse for them to not dig deep and do all they can - financially and otherwise - to help.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #36
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Perhaps their economy has been stronger then it currently is, but they're still doing a lot better then a lot of other countries, and I personally don't think there is an excuse for them to not dig deep and do all they can - financially and otherwise - to help.
Well at least we know that the Aussies are digging deep and helping out.

I have to agree with The Maddestman, when it comes to Americans or the majority of the ones that I've spoken to, there is NOTHING outside of their country.

Australia always seems to be the first out of the US and UK to dig deep when it comes to situations such as these and that makes me damn proud to be an Aussie!
Old 01-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #37
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
Perhaps it was because it was considered to be so far away from the US that they offered such a small amount to start with? Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the US governments actions in ANY way, just trying to get an understanding myself of why the most powerful and richest country in the world was so stingy in the face of such a huge catastrophe.
GWB finally pulled his finger out and increased Americas
contribution TENFOLD (now 450 million)

But considering their country is TEN times larger then ours
I still feel they are holding back a bit :rolleyes:

We have some money aside for the New houses bathroom reno...
I think in the recent light of things... the reno can wait a lil longer and
a portion of those funds could be utilised better elsewhere ;)

Last edited by BTTB; 01-01-2005 at 04:43 PM.
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 05:35 PM   #38
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Probably because there's not a satellite over the area at all given times. Also tidal waves aren't that big in the ocean, they only start to get big as they near land.

The earthquake was picked up on seismographs, however they had no contact numbers for authorities in the affected areas. Might be a bit of a crock (how hard is it to call an Embassy?), but still.

And thirdly, who's saying all the satellites were American? Sure not everyone agrees with their global policy, but that's no excuse to assume everything is their fault.
The reports I have seen had stated that the satelites were American owned. But what I had heard today is that they also have satelite footage of when it started.The water raised from the seabed like a mushroom shape not like a 1000 kilometre sea bed fault line. It even looks like an underwater atomic bomb.By the sounds of it , it was either a volcanic explosion or possibly a bomb.An earthquake causing the tectonic plates to move/slide by 10 metres would tend to force the water up in a straighter line and not in a circular uprising.Also worth noting is because of this underwater event it has been established that the earth has shifted 2 degrees out at its north and south poles!!!! I am not blaming them but its about time they pulled their finger out.

Last edited by Stav; 01-01-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #39
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I would suspect that all the images from these satellites are recorded and there's no one watching it in real time.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:40 PM   #40
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
I would suspect that all the images from these satellites are recorded and there's no one watching it in real time.
Can anyone else see the irony in that, they spend millions on satellites, record activity on it, yet set it aside to watch later. Now that's money well spent. :rolleyes:
Old 01-01-2005, 06:48 PM   #41
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Well I'd rather hit the rewind button after something happens than get bored shitless watching a whole lot of nothing for days on end :p
Old 01-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #42
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

They're supposed to be warning systems, maybe they only watch anything that's happening around the U.S. :rolleyes:
Old 01-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #43
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'd hardly say spy satellites are warning systems, there's no way to possibly view every inch of the earth's surface at once, nor to have countless experts watching for anything that is possibly going wrong.

Much better suited to finding Osama and checking for nuclear missles being shipped into Cuba.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:42 PM   #44
mrs xa coupe

Default Intrepid Travel to match dontions through their site dollar for dollar!!!

Intrepid Travel are taking donations and are matching them dollar for dollar !!!!!!!!!!! They are going to split the money with MSF (doctors without borders) and PLAN, both reputable organisations.

Please consider donating here so that they will also chip in their bit.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/appeal...973301af086192

I have made this thread a sticky as I think it is wonderfull that people are opening their hearts to those affected by this disaster.

We are all here because we enjoy cars, and many of us are lucky enough to spend a sizeable amount of money to persue our hobby. Something like this makes us realise how lucky we are to live in a part of the world where our biggest dilemma is what mod to do to our toy next. Its great to hear this softer size to our little community.

Keep up the good work guys! Today I am proud to be part of the fordforums.com.au community.
mrs xa coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 08:08 PM   #45
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Default Catastrophe's Warning Signs Went Unheeded

Los Angeles Times - January 1 2005
By Barbara Demick, Times Staff Writer

When an earthquake hits, shock waves travel through the Earth and within minutes begin jiggling sensitive equipment at some 350 monitoring stations around the world. Those stations, in turn, relay data by satellite to computers at the U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo.

Don Blakeman, a USGS geophysicist, was about to have Christmas dinner when his pager went off — a computer-generated warning that a major quake had just occurred. A colleague, Julie Martinez, also was paged and began analyzing data on her home computer as Blakeman drove to the office.

As data from more and more stations began to arrive, Blakeman revised the estimate of the temblor's magnitude to 8.5 — a threefold increase in size. He triggered a computer program that notified the White House, State Department and major relief agencies of a massive quake.

The information also went automatically to the tsunami warning center in Hawaii, where director Charles McCreery, 54, had abandoned plans to assemble his young daughters' pink bicycles and joined his colleagues watching the computer readouts.

McCreery saw that the quake was much larger than previously thought and therefore more likely to cause a tsunami. He decided to send out a second bulletin:

NO DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI THREAT EXISTS FOR THE PACIFIC BASIN BASED ON HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA.

THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A TSUNAMI NEAR THE EPICENTER.

Roughly an hour had passed since the quake. Unseen by experts, the wave already had traveled halfway across the Indian Ocean and claimed tens of thousands of lives.

Information was sent to the Whitehouse...

Last edited by LuvinmyEB; 01-01-2005 at 08:11 PM.
LuvinmyEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #46
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs xa coupe
Intrepid Travel are taking donations and are matching them dollar for dollar !!!!!!!!!!! They are going to split the money with MSF (doctors without borders) and PLAN, both reputable organisations.

Please consider donating here so that they will also chip in their bit.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/appeal...973301af086192

I have made this thread a sticky as I think it is wonderfull that people are opening their hearts to those affected by this disaster.

We are all here because we enjoy cars, and many of us are lucky enough to spend a sizeable amount of money to persue our hobby. Something like this makes us realise how lucky we are to live in a part of the world where our biggest dilemma is what mod to do to our toy next. Its great to hear this softer size to our little community.

Keep up the good work guys! Today I am proud to be part of the fordforums.com.au community.
That's great stuff, I was just looking at the Doctors without Borders site, but I didn't see any links to that. Sounds like that will be the charity I'll be donating to.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #47
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Heheh , this thread has made it into the sticky section. This is good.Guys at the end of the day I started this thread to possibly help others and raise awareness for those in need.If we can muster some more support for the victims that would be wonderful.
I have no intention of bringing further negative ideas on anyone. At the end of the day my emotion got the better of me after seeing the deluge.
I still however believe that this disaster was caused by a combined earthquake and volcanic underwater eruption/ explosion.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #48
kooky
WRX terrorist

The company Mrs Kooky works for donated $1 million to Red Cross and $100k to Unicef, then set up a site for employees to make donations and the company would then match those dollar for dollar. We donated through that site. They are also working with organisations to donate water, medical, and electrical supplies.

Other than making donations, theres little else we can do really
Old 07-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #49
Stav
Smile

Just to see the magnitude of the tsunami go here.. WARNING*** disturbing videos of tsunami

http://www.waveofdestruction.org/videos/
Old 07-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #50
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Just to see the magnitude of the tsunami go here.. WARNING*** disturbing videos of tsunami

http://www.waveofdestruction.org/videos/
Some pictures and video on that site that almost defy belief. And the scary part is, it's real, not some hollywood movie! I'm speechless after looking around that site.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #51
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'm watching the Australia unites reach out for Asia donation's, and so far Mazda and Hyundia have donated to the cause but I'm yet to hear Ford or Holden, come on Mr Gorman dig deep, some of Ford's bussiness lie's within the Asian countries.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 09:18 PM   #52
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if holden can spend so god damn much on advertising surely they can part with 200,000. would be great for ford to chip in too
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 09:59 PM   #53
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

BMW just chipped in too, come on Ford and Holden.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2005, 11:47 PM   #54
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit of a shock to read the views of average Americans.

have a squizz
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546785

(and please dont say cos they r GM ppl)
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 12:15 AM   #55
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

We donated and will continue to do so as long as we can. We donated through World Vision because I started sponsoring a baby girl through them last year and wanted to donate through the same charity. My kids both decided to donate ½ of their weekly pocket money for 6 months. Every week they put their money into tins at the shops.

And you wouldn't believe what we overheard the other day at the Plaza. While sitting having a coffee, we overheard 2 ladies complaining how they're sick and tired of hearing about the Tsunami 'thing' and how 'it's not our responsibility'. That made me sick!! I mean I can understand if you can't afford to help, no-ne is being forced to donate anything, but come on, have a heart for f***s sake!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 02:24 AM   #56
Kermit

Quote:
Hmm..God Bless America!!!

wow! Talk about rednecks in America...omfg!!!!

this has to be my favourite quote so far during a debate between 'chaman' & 'dvboard' on that disturbing forum:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaman

Please learn how to write...you sound like you have someones genitals in your mouth...
and the response from DvBoard

Quote:
how woudl anythign to do with my mouth effect how i type? really, mouth speaks hands type. i think you got one ****ed up body/brain to be tring to connect those 2.

:hihi:

Gotta stop reading this link....they are all in lala land.

AUIII XR6 VCT - Venom Red

Modified JMM DEV1 VCT:- JMM Race headers, Redback cat back 2.5” exhaust, JMM hi flow cat, Modified airbox with pod filter & XR8 snorkel (JMM VCT Kit)
160rwkw

Last edited by Kermit; 24-01-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 04:27 AM   #57
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Yes I've gotta to agree they are a mess up bunch over there. It's a shame but your always going to get some :tosser1: