Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #721
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Why not in the same day? I'm squatting 25kg + weight of the bar, 3 sets of 10...And deadlifting the same weight and same reps.

I'm getting the feeling you mentioned the next day, so I must be doing something right. I honestly much prefer the squat and skip out the deadlift every second session...Squat is done at the start of my session too after 15 or so light squats with no weight...deadlift is in the last 3rd.
because you are overloading, you are working your leg's and most other body part's that are involved in both lift's on the same day, you will find you will become very sore and larthargic and loose interest quick.
Rest is the key here, Do squat's on a different day to Deadies, and if your after strength more so then high intensity, do low rep's high weight, ie 3x3 and when you can get 6 on the last increase the weight by 2.5 kg next time.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #722
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Alternate deadlift and squats. Got it.

Aside from that, still going well at the gym...I’m a small fellow (55ish kg) but it feels good when i’m chest pressing 15kg dumbbells next to a bigger bloke doing 12.5s hahaha.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #723
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im starting today, yeh i know its mid week but i have been busy..............

Lucky my brother is a ex body builder and got his pro card on his first comp in 2004 or 2005 and took the Mr Australasia title for that event.

He wrote me a program to drop body fat and maintain or in my case gained abit of muscle and its a circuit style training program.

I found circuit training good as ur weight training is done in 20mins plus cardio and stretching and ur done.

Ive done msucle gain training which is also good but im a firm beliver of get lean first then train for muscle gain, as u will put on more size quicker as ur body is more healthy and running efficiently.

Eat every 3 hrs and small meals and make sure u drink 1.5-2ltrs of water a day
Old 12-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #724
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Im starting today, yeh i know its mid week but i have been busy..............

Lucky my brother is a ex body builder and got his pro card on his first comp in 2004 or 2005 and took the Mr Australasia title for that event.

He wrote me a program to drop body fat and maintain or in my case gained abit of muscle and its a circuit style training program.

I found circuit training good as ur weight training is done in 20mins plus cardio and stretching and ur done.

Ive done msucle gain training which is also good but im a firm beliver of get lean first then train for muscle gain, as u will put on more size quicker as ur body is more healthy and running efficiently.

Eat every 3 hrs and small meals and make sure u drink 1.5-2ltrs of water a day
You will not put on size/muscle without fat/bulk aswell or do you mean get as lean as you can 1'st then put the bulk on ?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #725
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Good stuff, keep at it, Dont do to many wide grib stuff as you don't want to tear your shoulder out of it's socket.. let me ask you a question, have you noticed your shoulder joint or ligament a little sore, if so stop right away, wide grib is useless and only doing damage, each and every exercise should feel comfortable.
When I 1'st started doing chin up's I was 102 kg and could only do 1-2, now I am down to 94 kg and can easily pump out 10, so now I add a weight of 10 kg, same goes for the dip's.

Oh and thank's for the rep point's muchly appreciated..

Yes with the Std Widegrip i did have some shoulder pain so i have brought it in to be a more "Mid grip" chin up, im 192cm and 104Kg with a fairly solid natural build, i have around 10kg to lose and thats me lean to the point of last time at that weight while living at home mum cracked the shits at me for looking "Sick"

Now im out with the Mrs im aiming for 92-94Kg again, i can do maybe one chin up by myself and say 3-4 dips with no weight assist.

Have my Dips set tommorow with my Std arms session, aiming to get my assist down to 14Kg from originally over 30 when i started, love my dips

As for the Rep, no worries thanks for the help.

Sidenote.. any advice in making some flexablity for Squats, just can't get down to the proper depth without reaching full tension in my legs and i don't want to do it half assed, im keeping the weight down trying to do it right and finding some progress but every bit helps.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #726
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Yes with the Std Widegrip i did have some shoulder pain so i have brought it in to be a more "Mid grip" chin up, im 192cm and 104Kg with a fairly solid natural build, i have around 10kg to lose and thats me lean to the point of last time at that weight while living at home mum cracked the shits at me for looking "Sick"

Now im out with the Mrs im aiming for 92-94Kg again, i can do maybe one chin up by myself and say 3-4 dips with no weight assist.

Have my Dips set tommorow with my Std arms session, aiming to get my assist down to 14Kg from originally over 30 when i started, love my dips

As for the Rep, no worries thanks for the help.

Sidenote.. any advice in making some flexablity for Squats, just can't get down to the proper depth without reaching full tension in my legs and i don't want to do it half assed, im keeping the weight down trying to do it right and finding some progress but every bit helps.
Arhhhh your just like me, very tight hamstring's makes Squat's difficult and sometimes painfull, do dynamic and static exercise's or some yoga stretches, you need to loosen those hamstring's in order to help your Squat's.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 12-01-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #727
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Straight legged deadlifts on the end of a bench so you can go past your toes.. really gives those stiff hammys a workout...!!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #728
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

it's my quads thats are holding me up in a big way, my flexability with hamstrings is quite good.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #729
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
it's my quads thats are holding me up in a big way, my flexability with hamstrings is quite good.
I'm no expert...but maybe 5 mins on the bike or some light squats with DB or no weight could loosen up your quads before doing the barbell squats?

I find if I go straight into bar squats, it's a lot harder than if I loosen up first with a handful of light squats.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #730
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quad stretch... sit on the ground with your lower legs under you and lean backwards....

Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #731
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I'm no expert...but maybe 5 mins on the bike or some light squats with DB or no weight could loosen up your quads before doing the barbell squats?

I find if I go straight into bar squats, it's a lot harder than if I loosen up first with a handful of light squats.
The bike isn't a bad idea i'll give that a go, already do pretty much all of what you mentioned besides that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Quad stretch... sit on the ground with your lower legs under you and lean backwards....
Started that last legs session, did find a gain so i'll keep that up.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #732
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Lie on your side and grab your ankle from behind and pull your leg from behind into your butt cheek, but if they are as you say it is going to take time untill they come loose, it won't happen over night.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #733
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Thanks guys, i'll combine all of it together and see where it gets me over the next few weeks.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #734
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
You will not put on size/muscle without fat/bulk aswell or do you mean get as lean as you can 1'st then put the bulk on ?
Yes get lean 1st then start to bulk like u said as for most ppl its hard getting lean but easier to put on muscle.

Im aiming for 12% body fat then start to bulk up
Old 15-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #735
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Hope everyone is still going well after the christmas and new years holidays, drinking plenty of water and hitting the gym, some good results happening here, good to see.

-Slayer- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #736
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
have you every used a foam roller before? check to see if they have them at your gym, do a quick google search to see how to use one, very good to stretch out any tight muscles, legs or upper body, also very helpful for people that get knee pains in general or while doing squats etc.well worth a look. and if your not very flexible anywhere on the body you will probably find that you will need to hold your stretches (mainly your quad stretch by the sounds of it) for up to 2 mins per stretch, boring but helps.

Old 16-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #737
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Ive been doing some ab work on a bosun ball. Anybody else used one before? Got any tips?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #738
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slayer-
have you every used a foam roller before? check to see if they have them at your gym, do a quick google search to see how to use one, very good to stretch out any tight muscles, legs or upper body, also very helpful for people that get knee pains in general or while doing squats etc.well worth a look. and if your not very flexible anywhere on the body you will probably find that you will need to hold your stretches (mainly your quad stretch by the sounds of it) for up to 2 mins per stretch, boring but helps.

I'll try the longer quad stretch this friday (Legs Day) and let you know how it goes, i'll look into the foam roller tommorow after work, thanks for the helpfull post.
Old 16-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #739
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
I'll try the longer quad stretch this friday (Legs Day) and let you know how it goes, i'll look into the foam roller tommorow after work, thanks for the helpfull post.
no worries at all.

Old 17-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #740
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This morning I weighed in at 97.2kg, the lowest weight I can remember.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #741
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
This morning I weighed in at 97.2kg, the lowest weight I can remember.

Congradulations Trev, wish i could rop the weight a little quicker at the moment, but aslong as it's going down, it's not too bad.
Old 18-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #742
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

great work trev. Good to see the lbs falling off.

I weighed myself this morning. 80kg exact.

I reckon I would weigh even less if I wasnt doing some muscle conditioning too. The short term goal is to get as close to 75kg within 4 weeks. But I think that will be a hard feat itself due to the extra muscle I am building on.

So I have chosen to base it on pant & waist size.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #743
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Still firing away on all cylinders here. Missed a few days last week with the cyclone and it was a bit of a struggle getting back into it yesterday!

Introduced a couple of new things to my routine, side raises (7kg bells) and dumb bell row (20kg), Leg press (80kg).

Started hitting the powders now too…I find that if anything, gives me some good energy to burn while I’m at the gym.

Getting some decent muscle up as well…Wearing singlets everywhere haha

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #744
blueoval
Critical Thinker

great work mate. Good to hear. Exercise I find always helps your self confidence.

With my routine I am going good. Nothing much different other than I indulged a bit over the weekend with some restaurant food and some beers. I dont often drink but had about 3 schooners of beer which went down very well.

Time to get back to it tonight. Doing a cycling class and hoping to burn between 400-600 calories in 45minutes.

Not sure what my weight is as I dont weigh myself anymore. But all my clothes are loose on me now. Gotta buy myself some new jeans. I was able to get into a dressy shirt last night which I have owned for 2 years but never small enough to fit into and it fit nicely last night at a dinner function for work. I was chuffed. haha

I still got an ideal 3-5kg of fat to lose and am concentrating on more ab work. Looking to get the infamous semi-6pack by xmas.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #745
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
great work mate. Good to hear. Exercise I find always helps your self confidence.

With my routine I am going good. Nothing much different other than I indulged a bit over the weekend with some restaurant food and some beers. I dont often drink but had about 3 schooners of beer which went down very well.

Time to get back to it tonight. Doing a cycling class and hoping to burn between 400-600 calories in 45minutes.

Not sure what my weight is as I dont weigh myself anymore. But all my clothes are loose on me now. Gotta buy myself some new jeans. I was able to get into a dressy shirt last night which I have owned for 2 years but never small enough to fit into and it fit nicely last night at a dinner function for work. I was chuffed. haha

I still got an ideal 3-5kg of fat to lose and am concentrating on more ab work. Looking to get the infamous semi-6pack by xmas.
be sure to stay away from the white bread and that six pack will come thru
good luck with the cycling tonight.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #746
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm gonna try chase the elusive 8 pack. See how that works out haha

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #747
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Rather jealous of you boys at the moment, havn't been able to train since last tuesday due to getting a rather nasty infection, im going insane at home off work and can't wait to get back.

In better news im off to see the new Gridiron team coach tonight to see if they need/want me, like most Aussies i have no idea about the game but will learn with a bit of guidence.

Gridiron Victoria is doing a big advertising push at the moment with many of the melbourne teams expected to field two teams in the same division such is the responce, i havn't played sport competitive since 2004 so im rather excited.

Down to 100.7Kg today aswell.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #748
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks lads. Yes white bread is a no-no. I rarely and I mean rarely eat white bread. Usually its wholemeal bread or at worst whole grain bread.

Keep going fellas.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #749
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Rather jealous of you boys at the moment, havn't been able to train since last tuesday due to getting a rather nasty infection, im going insane at home off work and can't wait to get back.

In better news im off to see the new Gridiron team coach tonight to see if they need/want me, like most Aussies i have no idea about the game but will learn with a bit of guidence.

Gridiron Victoria is doing a big advertising push at the moment with many of the melbourne teams expected to field two teams in the same division such is the responce, i havn't played sport competitive since 2004 so im rather excited.

Down to 100.7Kg today aswell.
Sounds promising mate. I find that if I cant make it to the gym for any reason I make sure I really watch my food intake. Just concentrate on drinking lots of water and to kills some hunger eating unsalted almonds and raw nuts. Works a treat and at least you shouldn't feel too bad by the time you get back tot he gym.

Grid Iron sounds like you should be getting a top cardio workout too.

Not far till you hit double figures. hehe. Awesome work

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #750
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for you fellas that have been weight training and bulking up, have you's being using protein and creatine etc? or just going natural?