Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #61
F6E

Default Re: 2014 Falcon features, tech and upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

The XR8 was $45k in 2009-2010 which was EXACTLY the same price as the XR6T and withing a couple of hundred dollars of the SS. It hardly sold
That's because, by this stage, the V8 buying public were awake to the fact that the "Boss" V8 was, is and always will be a boat mooring ....

I expect to see

- auto headlights off ( '80's tec)
- electric pax seat, w' memory ( 80's )
- auto all windows ( again '80's )
- keyless entry & go on up spec models ( make proper use of the "button") and it would be one up on the VF
- staggered wheel/ tyre fitment STD on sports and optionable on other models
- more cohesive interior trim options
- more "options" in general
- a few new colours
- little change to power plants , because they are already a model cycle ahead
of VF..... I6t, scV8, ecoboost 4..... No competition!
- the usual minor panel and garnish fluff
- possibly a true quality "premium" entertainment offering ( a bit hopeful I know and it won't sell cars either ).

The Ford product still has the better " bones " it just needs to jump into 2015 and offer the equipment ( even if it's tech fluff ) to get the 'mum 'n' dad' punters back! We enthusiasts are and always will be the fringe minority.

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #62
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
I never said heated seats make a lazy driver, I said: "Heated this and heated that seems pointless and alot of the 'driving aids' just make for lazier drivers."
Fair enough, my appologies.

But the attitudes on this forum like "pointless" are very negative. The australian car manufacturing industry needs all the help it can get to match/compete with global manufacturers. As an example, the current Ford Falcon has been widely praised as competing internationally in terms of quality, design, engineering and performance...............and is only missing "pointless aids" to truely being world class.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #63
DeKa

Default 2014 Falcon features, tech and upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
How does Internet Pandora radio work? Is it a variety of stations or can I just pick an artist or album and it plays?
If you have an iPhone or android download the Pandora Radio app and give it a go. It's free, although with 1 ad every 5 min or so. $36pa for no ads and higher quality. Usage is about 30MB/hr over 3G.

You can also try it out in your browser at www.pandora.com

The concept is like radio.. You pick a song or artist you like (eg if you like Pearl Jam you may like Triple M). Once you pick a song, artist or genre Pandora makes a 'station' for you. If you dislike something you can skip it.

My guess is GM/GMH may have done a deal to waive the $36pa fee.

I don't see it as that exciting a feature in a car as if you have a smartphone and Bluetooth you can already play it through the car stereo anyway (like I do in my Focus).
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #64
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou_bleu View Post
If you don't like the technology in new cars by all means stick to an older or new car without said tech, no one's forcing you to buy it! Also, complaining about the tech a) means nothing to anyone but yourself and b) doesn't mean car manufacturers will stop trying to develop their products to meet various peoples' needs just because you don't like it.
Wow... you really are crazy blue. This is a Forum, where others will have different opinions to you, and they will share them, with or without your approval. Coming in to defend the honour of technology is just... sad. I personally am a nerd. I build my own computers. But the technology wars of motor vehicles these days is ridiculous. And as you can see, my comment meant something to other people in this thread. So while you have your own opinion.. don't go on a campaign to smash down anything you didn't agree with, that's just childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fou_bleu View Post
RE heated seats, believe it or not the whole country doesn't get the pristine hot weather as Wait Awhile - where I live (near Bathurst) we have 4-5 month long winters (autumn what?) and it's pretty cold most mornings - a nice warm seat to drive to work in? Yes please.
1) I live in the South West of WA... our winters are just as long. And anyone who's been here knows it gets bloody cold. It can even snow on rare occasion further south.

2) The time it takes for those electrics to heat your seat, your body warmth would have almost done already, and because it's winter, you'd dress appropriately anyway would you not? And after having the heater on for a few minutes you should be more than comfortable already, one could presume.

3) With the exception of New Zealand, and maybe Tasmania there's no real need for heated seats or heated steering wheels outside the Northern Hemisphere.

4) Petite people may find it harder to generate sufficient body heat in those colder months... so I can't speak for everyone of course. But I find it hard to believe it necessary in Australian climes.

IMHO of course.

As regards sensors, and park assistance technologies... they detract from the drivers judgement. If you can't park a car, you probably shouldn't be driving one. Again... IMHO
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #65
F6E

m5 had heated and cooled seats , never used the heat feature ( Briz ) but the vented, cooled ( a/c pumped into yr butt and back ) got a real workout, a much more practical ( for Australia ) feature IMO.

But I think we are moving toward the " wish list " ?

Will it help sales volume ? Its all an equation of ROI for Ford ( & GM, etc ).

current rides.....

XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #66
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6E View Post
m5 had heated and cooled seats , never used the heat feature ( Briz ) but the vented, cooled ( a/c pumped into yr butt and back ) got a real workout, a much more practical ( for Australia ) feature IMO.

But I think we are moving toward the " wish list " ?

Will it help sales volume ? Its all an equation of ROI for Ford ( & GM, etc ).
Leather seats in the summer. I can see the need for AC seats.

This is the issue with Leather down under. (did that sound wrong? :P)
Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #67
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6E View Post
That's because, by this stage, the V8 buying public were awake to the fact that the "Boss" V8 was, is and always will be a boat mooring ....

I expect to see

- auto headlights off ( '80's tec)
- electric pax seat, w' memory ( 80's )
- auto all windows ( again '80's )
- keyless entry & go on up spec models ( make proper use of the "button") and it would be one up on the VF
- staggered wheel/ tyre fitment STD on sports and optionable on other models
- more cohesive interior trim options
- more "options" in general
- a few new colours
- little change to power plants , because they are already a model cycle ahead
of VF..... I6t, scV8, ecoboost 4..... No competition!
- the usual minor panel and garnish fluff
- possibly a true quality "premium" entertainment offering ( a bit hopeful I know and it won't sell cars either ).

The Ford product still has the better " bones " it just needs to jump into 2015 and offer the equipment ( even if it's tech fluff ) to get the 'mum 'n' dad' punters back! We enthusiasts are and always will be the fringe minority.
That all sounds pretty good and yeah the motors are one thing Ford doesn't have to fiddle with. Rebadge the GT's as 350kw cars and maybe retune the Turbo motors to squeeze out a little extra power stock. They can really just focus on other aspects of the car, wheras the FG lineup has been more focused on the motors.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #68
coupxb

It will just be a new ICC and that's it. Ford in Australia is over. The VF as did the VE series 2 beats it hands down unfortunately.
coupxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #69
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
.........,The time it takes for those electrics to heat your seat, your body warmth would have almost done already, and because it's winter, you'd dress appropriately anyway would you not? And after having the heater on for a few minutes you should be more than comfortable already, one could presume.......
Have you tested the operating time of heated seats compared to airconditioning on a cold winters morning in a modern vehicle? My last 2 vehicles: seats heated significantly faster than the time its takes to warm up the engine and thus warm up the aircon.

FYI: 2008 Honda Accord 2 minutes and 30 seconds, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 60 seconds only, talking seats here. I don't bother switching on the air unless i need my windscreen demisted.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #70
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Have you tested the operating time of heated seats compared to airconditioning on a cold winters morning in a modern vehicle? My last 2 vehicles: seats heated significantly faster than the time its takes to warm up the engine and thus warm up the aircon.

FYI: 2008 Honda Accord 2 minutes and 30 seconds, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 60 seconds only, talking seats here. I don't bother switching on the air unless i need my windscreen demisted.
Heated seats takes about 20sec to get to a decent temperature

the only thing I didn't like about em is you flick em on as a passenger and you're fast asleep in not very long
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #71
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupxb View Post
It will just be a new ICC and that's it. Ford in Australia is over. The VF as did the VE series 2 beats it hands down unfortunately.

I really hope it will be called the FU falcon.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #72
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Joshua is that you?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #73
Rodge
Banned

Where's the adaptive cruise control on the new VF ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #74
Lardman

Honestly, all the falcon needs is:
  • Lighter body panels - Aluminum construction
  • Updated ICC to use the same system in the new Focus etc
  • Updated interior
  • exterior updates, minor
  • HIDs as an option
  • Auto headlights
  • Front park sensors / auto park as an option
  • Simplified lineup

Pretty much lands it bang on par with the new VF.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #75
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Does anyone know if the FG currently use a global wiring architecture? If not they'll definitely need it to implement any of the new toys the VF has i imagine.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #76
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I really hope it will be called the FU falcon.
Followed by the FO Falcon.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #77
Elements

Quote:
Edit: Never mind.

Last edited by Elements; 12-02-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Elements is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #78
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:

Nice fact based statement here...
Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #79
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Where's the adaptive cruise control on the new VF ?
QFT, at least Ford already has this available in a car sold locally, the Mondeo so you can assume it should turn up in the FU. I wonder if it will also get the Mondeo's swivelling headlights.

EDIT: It should, because the software update at Broady will allow them to calibrate the system on vehicles made there:

http://www.at.ford.com/news/TeamCont...s-Further.aspx

Quote:
The new system also allows plants to run different calibration tests between facilities, allowing the testing of advanced vehicle features on a controlled level surface, such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping Aid, and Lane Departure Warning. Combined, these help with the further development of future vehicles.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #80
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think it'll be as big an update as some here are predicting, more than just a new ICC obviously, but not the kind of update the Commodore has just received. I'd predict the lions share of the budget will go towards economy improvements (due to the government tipping in about half) rather than comfort-improving tech. We already know it'll get new front (and hopefully rear) sheet metal which, according to Ford, looks great.

The XR8 has been discussed here a lot of late. I'd love to see it return, and yes I would buy one if it did, but it would have to be priced as an XR8 - ie, a small step up from XR6T money.

But the GS is obviously the cheapest a V8 Falcon can be sustainably sold for at the moment - that $40 million needs to be recouped. A $57k XR8 wont fly so they just stuck FPV badges and a starter button on an otherwise identical car and the job was done.

Hopefully in the not too distant future Ford might be able to make a business case for a cheaper S/C V8 model. The fact remains now though, that there is a gaping hole in the lineup, and Ford really need a lower-spec V8 for XR8 and G8E duties. They'll never get one now though, that boat has sailed I reckon.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #81
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you work in Ford's design department?
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #82
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford definately won't have the money to spend that Holden have, that's for certain. I'm sure Chevrolet chipped in a fair bit of money for the Chev SS version with funding to match, not to mention the other exports to the Middle East etc, that can all share the load of the R&D costs. Ford has none of that, not to mention they sell a lot less Falcons than Commodores.

You might see lane departure warning and blind spot alert but you definately won't see active cruise control or self parking etc. They will do the cheaper, easier stuff. Luckily they will be doing a front and rear so in terms of styling it will match the VF in that area.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #83
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ford definately won't have the money to spend that . Luckily they will be doing a front and rear so in terms of styling it will match the VF in that area.
How the thing looks makes a massive difference. the AU was a bomb due to looks, so the opposite must also be true. You make a cool looking car and ppl will buy it either way. How else can anyone explain Alfa Romeos selling?!
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #84
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
How the thing looks makes a massive difference. the AU was a bomb due to looks, so the opposite must also be true. You make a cool looking car and ppl will buy it either way. How else can anyone explain Alfa Romeos selling?!
Thankfully not for much longer , down to only 2 model offerings now, Mito and Guiletta from memory ? ( Fiat )

Hundreds of tow truck operators will now face going out of business
Our 147 would have contributed admirably to their Super funds...

Hopefully Ford will draw styling cues from the current Mondeo and not do an AU on us...

current rides.....

XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #85
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
I'm sick of this technology rubbish in cars. Unfortunately you need it to make your product appear to have "more" than another product.

Who the hell in Australia needs a heated seat or steering wheel? Harden up people.
The question is not who "needs" heated seats. If we're reducing cars down to the absolute essentials, then we wouldn't have air conditioning, or power steering, or radio ....

The question is who "wants" to have it. Granted, not everybody does, but if these gadgets get more and more people into Falcon, then that's a good thing.

I've never understood the anti-technology attitude. Falcon needs them to keep up. Don't want heated seats? Don't use them. Don't want the car to park itself? Don't use it. Just because a car has those features as standard doesn't mean you have to use it.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #86
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
You might see lane departure warning and blind spot alert but you definately won't see active cruise control or self parking etc.
Although the hardware for these items already exists in Australia in the Ford parts bin (EPAS in the SZ Territory and adaptive cruise in the Mondeo) and these bit would be the big ticket items.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #87
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Doesn't mean they both don't need significant engineering and dollars to implement them. Space seems to be the issue with EPAS on Falcon too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #88
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F6E Alfa cop car

Last edited by csv8; 23-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #89
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Although the hardware for these items already exists in Australia in the Ford parts bin (EPAS in the SZ Territory and adaptive cruise in the Mondeo) and these bit would be the big ticket items.
Costs to adapt them wouldn't be that much, especially adaptive cruise along with front parking sensors.

The Jag XF already has many of these features, even if they're owned by Tata now.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #90
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
You might see lane departure warning and blind spot alert .
With the changes to ANCAP safety ratings in the near future, these sort of features are needed to gain the full 5 stars, so Ford will have to add these items if it wants maintain the cars top rating.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post