Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #61
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Top selling cars: 1982, 92, 02, 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I'm pretty sure that is incorrect, as I recall reading somewhere that 1998 was the peak of Commodore sales and sold almost 100,000 in that year alone.
Well I only looked quickly at Wiki, and it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong, but I doubt it would be out by much.
VT sold 300k units in its 3 yr cycle, so 100k per year is where it was at, but remember the VT2 saw the introduction of the LS1 V8 which boosted sales.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #62
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Well I only looked quickly at Wiki, and it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong, but I doubt it would be out by much.
VT sold 300k units in its 3 yr cycle, so 100k per year is where it was at, but remember the VT2 saw the introduction of the LS1 V8 which boosted sales.
Why couldn't ford have just done the BA in 1998, Ford USA to blame for trying to kill falcon off in 1994 and forcing all ford divisions to use the KA as inspiration? Ford desperately needs a "remake of the EF" with as much visual impact and inprovement as possible in 2014. It has to make the FG look like a museum piece, just as the EF did to ED in 1994.. Or else?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #63
prydey
Rob

arguing over looks is very flawed given how subjective they are.

i personally never confused FG for BF2 and neither did many other people, but apparently journo's who aren't trusted on most topics got this one right?? please.

personally, i think FG is the best looking falcon ever, no ifs or buts. obviously others feel differently and thats fine. park a FG alongside any other current large car and it will look right at home.

sales are what they are. on AFF they get analysed to death and everyone has an opinion on falcon sales and often the big picture is ignored as well.

its amusing to note that many believe commodore is doing something right, and falcon isn't and yet the commodore's future is in just as much doubt as falcons!! sales have very little to do with the actual product. people buy toyotas because they are under the illusion that nothing goes wrong on them. people are avoiding aussie built cars because as hard as the companies try to avoid it, there is a real stigma being attached to them.

sometimes its not even about buying a car that suits your needs, but rather about making a statement in your driveway! the ability for people to 'be their own person' is almost obsolete now, with so many wanting to keep up with or stay ahead of the jones' so to speak.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #64
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 1982 I'd just turned 17, and was working on a farm. I was making half decent money for the times, taking home about $250 a week, and actually seriously considered buying a new "Family model" Falcon that the local dealer was offering. It was a deal Ford were doing. The stripped out XE Falcon came in either wagon or sedan, vinyl seats, basic floor carpets, basic dash, wind up windows (but that was normal back then even in base model Fairlanes), steel wheels, 3.3 engine, and auto trans (on the column).
It sold for, from memory, $11,000.

I also looked at a little bright red Toyota hatchback a year or two later, and was married at that time. We nearly bought it, but had just had a baby and needed all our cash.

If we bought it, that little bright red AE86 would probably still be in the driveway now...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #65
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Way off topic but.... pity the same theory isn't applied to the fuel suppliers, open up our market to the world and make some competition. I realise its more a duopoly than car manufacturers but I wonder how many people here (if it was achievable) would be complaining about a few hundred BP refinery workers losing their jobs if fuel was cheaper for everyone. Not many is my guess.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #66
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Way off topic but.... pity the same theory isn't applied to the fuel suppliers, open up our market to the world and make some competition. I realise its more a duopoly than car manufacturers but I wonder how many people here (if it was achievable) would be complaining about a few hundred BP refinery workers losing their jobs if fuel was cheaper for everyone. Not many is my guess.
Off-off topic...heard a good comparison on the radio about "government subsidies" the other day...they said everybody knocks the "whinging farmers" who ask for government help with harsh times and international market problems, and the government tells them they have to stand on thier own two feet. Yet if a car maker says they need help, the hundreds of millions of dollars can't pour out of the government coffers fast enough...and those guys are just making a car, not actually feeding us...
Old 14-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #67
XXX747

Rumor has it the guy that invented the AU got murdered several weeks after the release. Coincidence or was someone unhappy with his work. We will never know.
XXX747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #68
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX747 View Post
Rumor has it the guy that invented the AU got murdered several weeks after the release. Coincidence or was someone unhappy with his work. We will never know.
Steve Park?

First I heard of that...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #69
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Theres that many industries closing,shutting shop due to the influx of imports,lets let a few more in and be totally at the Mersey of O/S countries

Remember what bunnings done to competition ???
Shafted them hard, got the market share then prices went up
That's what will happen if and when we have nothing left to counter fight imports,nice n cheap now, places close, then what was once cheap can charge what they like
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #70
davistev

Another reason for the declining sales of full size sedans is simply that small cars have grown larger. Compare a Honda Civic today to the 1980 model and you can see why people now have a much greater excuse to move away from the Falcon.
Old 14-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #71
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Off-off topic...heard a good comparison on the radio about "government subsidies" the other day...they said everybody knocks the "whinging farmers" who ask for government help with harsh times and international market problems, and the government tells them they have to stand on thier own two feet. Yet if a car maker says they need help, the hundreds of millions of dollars can't pour out of the government coffers fast enough...and those guys are just making a car, not actually feeding us...
The agricultural, mining and banking sectors get subsidies the car makers could only dream about.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #72
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What a stupid comparison.

I dont know anyone who objects to the Gov helping out farmers in tough times. Must be just big city people who do that?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #73
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistev View Post
Another reason for the declining sales of full size sedans is simply that small cars have grown larger. Compare a Honda Civic today to the 1980 model and you can see why people now have a much greater excuse to move away from the Falcon.
Yeah Falcon has pretty much stayed the same size since the XR.

Hold on, I think I know what the problem is... Falcon hasnt grown like every other car model. People are reluctant to buy it as they think it has stunted growth.
If it was allowed to grow like others, it would be the size of the Rolls Phantom, and would be selling like hotcakes.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #74
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Yeah Falcon has pretty much stayed the same size since the XR.

Hold on, I think I know what the problem is... Falcon hasnt grown like every other car model. People are reluctant to buy it as they think it has stunted growth.
If it was allowed to grow like others, it would be the size of the Rolls Phantom, and would be selling like hotcakes.

go park your ED next to a FG! you might re think your statement then.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #75
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
The stripped out XE Falcon came in either wagon or sedan, vinyl seats, basic floor carpets, basic dash, wind up windows
Now waiting to see if a car manufacturer will come up with this idea again....
Everything these days has Ipod this, Bluetooth that, the list goes on and on...

SUV's and little cars seem to be all the go and I can understand why, it comes down to the weekly spend at the end of the day... I drive a Falcon cos it was cheap to buy, on LPG, I love driving a big car... Wife had a Falcon also but needed a 7 seater so we bought a Territory (The Truck I call it) It doesn't get used except for the school runs, family outings etc I do all the high kays in the Falcon.

Bro & sister in law just updated both there cars, Sis in law had a rodeo ute (kept it for when they needed it), she bought a Cruse (she likes Holdens) Bro Sold the Falcon and bought a Focus Diesel... It came down to weekly fuel costs. They are better off on a week by week basis.

15 years ago an aussie bloke wouldn't be caught dead in a girls car.... Now it seams its a common sight. For now I'll stick to my Falcon but the tide could be turning on that too having driven my Bro in laws Focus...

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #76
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX747 View Post
No he didn't. He actually got promoted to the US design studio and was back here working on FG I think later on. Not sure where he is now though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #77
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Everything these days has Ipod this, Bluetooth that, the list goes on and on...

SUV's and little cars seem to be all the go and I can understand why, it comes down to the weekly spend at the end of the day... I drive a Falcon cos it was cheap to buy, on LPG, I love driving a big car... Wife had a Falcon also but needed a 7 seater so we bought a Territory (The Truck I call it) It doesn't get used except for the school runs, family outings etc I do all the high kays in the Falcon.

Bro & sister in law just updated both there cars, Sis in law had a rodeo ute (kept it for when they needed it), she bought a Cruse (she likes Holdens) Bro Sold the Falcon and bought a Focus Diesel... It came down to weekly fuel costs. They are better off on a week by week basis.

15 years ago an aussie bloke wouldn't be caught dead in a girls car.... Now it seams its a common sight. For now I'll stick to my Falcon but the tide could be turning on that too having driven my Bro in laws Focus...
It amazes me the biggest things car makers push is what gadgets they come with ,morso its safety factor or its economy
Seems ,the gadgets are more important than safety and economy

As for the girls cars, sign of the times .....
Think back 5,10,15 years ago,blokes wouldn't be caught dead sitting in cafes drinking lattees or fancy nancy coffees,now look how many do ....
Most blokes would cringe at getting their nails dirty let alone their dish pan hands
We are breeding the more softer blokes now,car makers like the general public can see that
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #78
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU was staggering in it's reception...it was the first time I heard Ford fans, even died in the wool, one-eyed guys who wouldn't even set foot in another brand of car, who would say "What the hell was Ford thinking???" and say how much they hate it.

But it's sort of mellowed with age...I've found myself looking at a few very nice AU's that I've seen here and there, and surprisingly thought "Gee that looks good". One memorable one was an AU-III (I think) in dark green, tinted windows, and chrome alloy wheels of some sort...it looked fantastic. Really a design that seems to grow on you with time.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #79
DaveTE
Back in black

AU T-Series yes I'm biased but geeze of late people are really checking it out. maybe because most haven't seen one. I still love the AU but I think the FG looks great. I'd love a GTE but not giving up my TE50 Series 3.
DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post