Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #61
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Now Qantas 3000 jobs to go

Latest news is 5,000 jobs not 3,000.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #62
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I believe one of the reasons was to prevent cross comparison between pilots, engineers et al. couldnt compare salaries as aircraft were different!
fair enough, but should someone on one class of aircraft get double someone on another class gets?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #63
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
But at what cost? unless their going to jail the majority of CEO's that get shown the door usually pass through it with a huge smile on their face......
No doubt he has an air tight contract (or at least he thinks he has).

So do to him what Newman did to Anna Bligh's husband, assign him to the infamous "Special Projects division" make it so painful that he leaves on his own accord. Junior baggage handler would be to good for him.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #64
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The unions aren't too happy (no surprise), so they're talking about industrial action.

There has got to be another alternative to industrial action especially at this stage of the game. It would be so counter productive and will actually hurt their members and exacerbate an already bad situation - besides will make Joyce a martyr in some people's view.
Old 27-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #65
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
The unions aren't too happy (no surprise), so they're talking about industrial action.

There has got to be another alternative to industrial action especially at this stage of the game. It would be so counter productive and will actually hurt their members and exacerbate an already bad situation - besides will make Joyce a martyr in some people's view.
And if what I have alluded too is true then it will be to qantas managements plan. accelerating the decline.

If its not true then Im a freaking genius and they should have done it...Oh hang on !!!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #66
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me it seems ALL of these BIG corporations plan well ahead and then even after they make these huge business changes thye still have plenty of power to change those decisions as the business and media tell all that is going on.

First it was 3,000.....now its 5,000.

Ford production was ???......Now its 90 per day.

They just make these changes as they go along because they're the ones paying the wages and in house accountants are telling the CEO's the business's ar'nt making money.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #67
ray38l

Its got me worried because im in the process of joining the Air force as a Aircraft Technician. The plan was to get qualified and stay in for 6 or 10 years and then try get a job in the civillian world.
If QANTAS die then there wouldnt be too much maintenance done in Australia on aircraft. There would be no reason for Virgin to do anything other then the bare essential maintenance here.
Hopefully Everyone from governments to the irish man understand what is at stake.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #68
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How this bloke still has a job with QANTAS let alone the top one is beyond me. Profit losses, job losses, grounds the fleet globally and the stock is not even worth anything.

I don't know how the QANTAS management and financial structures work but to most of us it must seem like they come up with some weird KPIs for him to still be CEO.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #69
ray38l

Last time i checked The liberal party dont run an Airline
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #70
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

All Australian problems have just happened in the last 6 months. Yeah Right.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #71
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alan Joyce has a lot to answer for.

An awful lot.

He is much like a politician - All spin. Where the good results mate?
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #72
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Buy some shares in Qantas (they're real cheap at the moment) and raise your issues at the next shareholders meeting.

No good blaming the Lib's because they've had a gut full delving through the sea of crap they've inherited from the previous mob.

The situation wouldn't be different if Rudd (heaven forbid) got re-elected - possibly worse as he'd have spent a trillion dollars by now.

This forum can't change what's happening.
Old 27-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #73
gtfpv
GT

like i said it may not be the libs fault . but where were all these shutdowns and sell outs when the opposition was in .i just think it's uncanny and too much of a co incidence that the last 6 months has seen a mass Australian exudes.
and i do think in the next month or so . buying QANTAS shares may be a very good idea
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #74
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Oh and I wonder if the CO2 tax has any bearing on the situation, Qantas did mention the tax would cost it as much as $115 million.

Real helpful that CO2 tax is, remind me which party introduced that pearl?
Old 27-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #75
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
like i said it may not be the libs fault . but where were all these shutdowns and sell outs when the opposition was in .i just think it's uncanny and too much of a co incidence that the last 6 months has seen a mass Australian exudes.
and i do think in the next month or so . buying QANTAS shares may be a very good idea
Last time I checked Fords closure was under a labor government. And the writing was already on the wall for Toyota & Holden.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #76
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I believe one of the reasons was to prevent cross comparison between pilots, engineers et al. couldnt compare salaries as aircraft were different!

JP
A long running dispute for JQ A330 flight crew compared to QF A330 crew.

Simply put, JQ is what Alan Joyce wants QF to be. When you do an A320 endorsement you actually have to pay for your training. JQ offer prospective pilots low interest finance loans to pay for their training, and you can't just up and leave JQ without repaying your loan.
Furthermore, JQ is not paying the massively over inflated prices of flight crew in QF, so the airline is a lot more profitable.
I know of an instance where a JQ captain on a 2am flight was made to pay $3.50 for a pepsi-max from the passenger cart as there was no pepsi-max in the crew cart. To sum up, here's an extract I read a long time ago which shows how a disenfranchised workforce may react to accountants running an airline.

Quote:
I am an Army of One (or 2, or 300, ...)

I am an army of One - A Captain in the Continental Airlines army.
For years I was a loyal soldier in Gordon's army. Now I fight my own war.
I used to feel valued and respected. Now I know I am mere fodder.
They (CAL) used to exhibit labor leadership. Now they exploit legal loopholes.
They used to enjoy my maximum. Now they will suffer my minimum.
I am an army of One.

I used to save CAL a thousand pounds of fuel per leg; finding the best FL, getting direct routing, throttling back when on-time was made, skimping during ground ops, adjusting for winds, being smart and giving the company every effort I could conjure. Now, it's "burn baby, burn".
I used to call maintenance while airborne, so the part would be ready at the gate. Now, they'll find the write-up when they look in the book.
I used to try to fix problems in the system, now I sit and watch as the miscues pile up.
I used to fly sick. Now I use my sick days, on short notice, on the worst day of the month.
I am an army of One.

I used to start the APU at the last possible moment. Now my customers enjoy extreme comfort.
I used to let the price of fuel at out-stations affect my fuel orders. I still do.
I used to cover mistakes by operations. Now I watch them unfold.
I used to hustle to ensure an on-time arrival, to make us the best. Now I do it for the rampers and agents who need the bonus money….but this too may change.
I used to call dispatch for rerouting, to head off ground delays for bad weather. Now I collect overs, number 35 in line for takeoff.

I am on a new mission - to demonstrate that misguided leadership of indifference and disrespect has a cost. It's about character, not contracts. It's about leading by taking care of your people instead of leadership by bean counters (an oxymoron). With acts of omission, not commission, I am a one-man wrecking crew - an army of One. My mission used to be to make CAL rich. Now it's to make CAL pay.

When they furlough more pilots than the rest, pilots that cost them 60 cents on the dollar - I will make them pay.
When they under-staff bases and over-work reserves to keep pilots downgraded, down-flowed, or downtrodden - I will make them pay.
When over-booked customers are denied boarding system wide, while jets are parked in the desert - I will make them pay.
When they force pilots, who have waited 12 years to become captains, to be FOs again - I will make them pay.
When they ask CAL pilots to show leadership at Express, and then deny them longevity - I will make them pay.
When they recall F/As for the summer, just to furlough them again in the fall like migrant workers - I will make them pay.
When they constantly violate the letter and spirit of our contract - a contract that's a bargain by any measure, and force us to fight lengthy grievances - I will make them pay.

My negotiating committee speaks for me, but I act on my own. I am a walking nightmare to the bean counters that made me. Are you listening? This mercenary has a lot of years left with this company; how long can you afford to keep me bitter? I'm not looking for clauses in a contract, I'm looking for a culture of commitment and caring. When I see it, I'll be a soldier for CAL again. Until then, I am an Army of One…And I'm not alone!

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #77
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Oh and I wonder if the CO2 tax has any bearing on the situation, Qantas did mention the tax would cost it as much as $115 million.

Real helpful that CO2 tax is, remind me which party introduced that pearl?
300 million this year alone.
Sorry, but under the last 6 years of the ALP stewardship the union and Steve Verpenis has become all powerful and industrial action increased at Qantas by over three times that of previous years. Remember the fleet grounding of 2011? Don't get me wrong I hate and I mean really hate Alan Joyce, but the ALP and the unions really set the conditions for the perfect storm I alluded to earlier. At least Abbott and Hockey are talking to Qantas - back in 2011 before grounding the fleet Gillard refused to take Alan Joyces call even after he said he was going to ground the fleet over the impasse of industrial action and union demands.
In summary, the ALP and their union mates set a lot of time-bombs when they were in office, now the times up and **** be exploding everywhere.
If the ALP really wanted to help, they'd stop blocking the repeal of the carbon tax in the senate - that's 300 million saved per year which would have prevented today's announcement of 5000 job losses spurred on by a 250 million dollar loss. That 300 million would save a lot of those jobs.
Libs fault? Don't think so.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #78
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Many people will relate this joke to the "Qantas" experience...

A man is alone in an airport lounge.

A beautiful woman walks in and sit down at the table next to him. He decides because she's wearing a uniform, she's probably an off-duty flight attendant.

So he decides to have a go at picking her up by identifying the airline she flies for, thereby impressing her greatly. He leans across to her and says the British Airways motto : 'To Fly. To Serve'?

The woman looks at him blankly

He sits back and thinks up another line. He leans forward again and delivers the Air France motto: 'Winning the hearts of the world'?

Again she just stares at him with a slightly puzzled look on her face.

Undeterred, he tries again, this time saying the Malaysian Airlines motto
'Going beyond expectations'?

The woman looks at him sternly and says

'What the **** do you want?'

'Aha!' he says "Qantas!"
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #79
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

solid posting LTD
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #80
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
solid posting LTD
Thanks mate.
It's indeed a sad day for 3500 people.
The 1500 management people being given their marching orders can seriously go and gratify themselves (swear-filter beater copyright 2014).

The worst part in all of this is that there are some seriously dedicated people who will be affected. Of the pilots, they are the finest of crews and are the greatest in the world. Several major accidents have been averted by the actions of these crew, from the most seasoned captain to the lowest time SO. Hopefully, something can be done without upsetting the apple cart and disadvantaging Virgin.

Quote: