Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #61
dylancox

Default Re: New Nsw Car Hoon Laws . Grandma Policing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
An article in the paper : Why wouldnt you run if the fines are much the same as not!! (or there are NO fines if you dont!) (Take drunks cars off them I say though, speeding sensibly is different)

A DRUNKEN female driver crossed double lines and reached speeds of up to 151km/h while trying to evade police, a court has heard.
A Geelong court was also the probationary driver turned into Grossman's Rd at such speed, her entire vehicle crossed onto the wrong side of the roadway.
Megan Macleod, 20, of Telkington Rd, Bellbrae, pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates' Court yesterday to charges of exceeding .05, speeding, evading police and careless driving.
Police prosecutor, Leading Senior Constable Kerrie Moroney said, at 12.55am on November 26 last year, police were operating a breath testing station on Anglesea Rd, Bellbrae.
"Macleod was driving her utility south on Anglesea Rd when she saw the PBT station ahead," Sen-Constable Moroney said.
"She stopped, did a U-turn over double lines and took off at fast speed."
The prosecutor said police immediately took up pursuit as Macleod reached speeds of 151km/h before turning right into Grossman's Rd on the wrong side of the roadway.
"When stopped by police, Macleod admitted she had been drinking heavy beer and rum and a lot of it," the prosecutor said.
"A breathalyser test showed she had a reading of .113 per cent and her car was impounded for 30 days at a cost of $994."
Christine Thomas, for Macleod, said her client was currently studying at an agricultural college near Horsham, that she had no priors and her behaviour was out of character.
"After her car was towed away, she decided to take a short cut home through a paddock and broke her ankle," Ms Thomas said.
"Her parents paid the $994 redemption fee for their daughter to get her car back but she will have to repay them by painting the house."
Magistrate Ann McGarvie said drink-driving was the biggest killer on Victoria's roads.
"It's not about you killing yourself but about you killing others," she said.
"You knew you should not have been driving and that is why you tried to run away."
Macleod was convicted on all counts, fined $800 and disqualified from driving for 12 months.
Wow.. a potentially deadly alcoholic rampage, and she gets of with $800. Have a radar detector in the car and get caught and the fine is more than that. If you leave two black marks and a bit of smoke, they'll make you wish you were never born.

Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #62
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Originally Posted by EDManual
An article in the paper : Why wouldnt you run if the fines are much the same as not!! (or there are NO fines if you dont *GET CAUGHT*!) (Take drunks cars off them I say though, speeding sensibly is different)
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #63
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfordcrazy21
That is so true. Under the hoon laws in vic. If the police hear your tyres squeal or if you are 25 ks over the speed limit they can disqualify you for up to six months on the spot. And then they can impound your car for up to thirty days. And then after paying the $1280 to get your car out. Then you go to court and can lose your licence for a further six months. I know. It happened to me...

You are very wrong. If you do over 25ks over, you will lose your licence for a monthunless you got caught doing 30ks over then the suspension is greater.

The police will also give you a month's notice, Vic police can not take you licence on the spot unless you have been drink driving.

For the police to impound your car you need to be doing over 45ks.
They will then impound the car for 30 days under the current hoon laws.
If this is your second offence they will apply to the courts to have the car impounded for 3 months.

If your saying you lost your licence on the spot you must of been drink driving to.

I do agree there is no reason for people to do 45ks over.
Even if you over take the laws states you must not go over the speed limit.
SO if people want to get caught and lose the car for 5 months, I think it is a great idea.

Last edited by xisled; 06-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #64
woolleymammoth

I hate how this country is going, I'm not saying speeding is right but what is the point of these fast falcons? Why not buy a base model and save the extra cash.

I drive a modified pursuit ute and when the time comes to overtake I like to get the job done safe and most the time that means quick. A year ago I was driving from mackay to brissy and because of the floods alot of people went inland, including strings of anywhere between 2-5 road trains driving nose to tail.

At one point I was behind a corrolla who was behind two road trains doing 90, when an overtaking lane came up the corrolla sped up to 110 to overtake but it simply wasn't fast enough. By the end of the overtaking lane I was still inline with the first truck in the line up and couldn't get around, meanwhile about 5 cars were up my behind and I had to brake to let the truck back in. The second truck ended up locking up sideways so he wouldn't collect all the cars, all this because the corrolla wouldn't exceed the speed limit.

At the next overtaking lane I was at the front of the queue so I took off, full throttle got to about 155 and sat on that till I got round, thought it was the safe thing to do. But NO! guess who was sitting round the bend, yep mr patrol man. Got me 45 over was a 100 zone, 2000 bucks 8 points and 6months walking. Was my first offense ever and luckily he let me drive for the rest of the day to get home.

Fast forward 10 days before a year later, I get done 20 over again after overtaking, 4points and 333 bucks not so bad I thought, paid the fine and continued on with life. Got a letter in the mail a month later, extra demerit point notice or something like that, turns out 2 speeding offenses in a year carries double demerits for the second offense. This put me at 16 points and a years suspension. I was ****ed! already had a six month suspension now a year, but it gets better, because my first offense was 45 over if I got a suspension within a year I also get double that too.

So good people of AFF I am now walking and will be until january 14 2014, because of two offenses which I believe were perfectly safe.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #65
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFrod
It doesn't matter how fair we believe these rules to be - this country was founded on the principles of liberal democracy; private property chief among them. The government cannot seize a citizen's land without just (I.e., market value) compensation, this is in the Constitution!!

They can ban me from driving for life; but they cannot take my property!! This is completely immoral!! I'm only glad I'm living in Vic temporarily. As soon as I can, I'm going back to Tassie; the last free state IMO.
If private property was truly private and yours 100%, the government would not be able to seize ANYTHING. They could only ask you if you wanted to sell and would offer you an amount for the property.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolleymammoth
I hate how this country is going, I'm not saying speeding is right but what is the point of these fast falcons? Why not buy a base model and save the extra cash.

I drive a modified pursuit ute and when the time comes to overtake I like to get the job done safe and most the time that means quick. A year ago I was driving from mackay to brissy and because of the floods alot of people went inland, including strings of anywhere between 2-5 road trains driving nose to tail.

At one point I was behind a corrolla who was behind two road trains doing 90, when an overtaking lane came up the corrolla sped up to 110 to overtake but it simply wasn't fast enough. By the end of the overtaking lane I was still inline with the first truck in the line up and couldn't get around, meanwhile about 5 cars were up my behind and I had to brake to let the truck back in. The second truck ended up locking up sideways so he wouldn't collect all the cars, all this because the corrolla wouldn't exceed the speed limit.

At the next overtaking lane I was at the front of the queue so I took off, full throttle got to about 155 and sat on that till I got round, thought it was the safe thing to do. But NO! guess who was sitting round the bend, yep mr patrol man. Got me 45 over was a 100 zone, 2000 bucks 8 points and 6months walking. Was my first offense ever and luckily he let me drive for the rest of the day to get home.

Fast forward 10 days before a year later, I get done 20 over again after overtaking, 4points and 333 bucks not so bad I thought, paid the fine and continued on with life. Got a letter in the mail a month later, extra demerit point notice or something like that, turns out 2 speeding offenses in a year carries double demerits for the second offense. This put me at 16 points and a years suspension. I was ****ed! already had a six month suspension now a year, but it gets better, because my first offense was 45 over if I got a suspension within a year I also get double that too.

So good people of AFF I am now walking and will be until january 14 2014, because of two offenses which I believe were perfectly safe.
Remember this when you vote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #67
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its theft. The cops can now steal your car.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #68
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be seeing a few MP's driving around in some very cheap FPV's!!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #69
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You mean voting for either side of the political spectrum:

Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #70
BAFrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
If private property was truly private and yours 100%, the government would not be able to seize ANYTHING. They could only ask you if you wanted to sell and would offer you an amount for the property.
I agree - private property is not respected here as it should be. I'm not advocating all facets of the American political system, but speaking as someone who grew up between Tasmania and Tennessee, if a government tried to seize a citizen's assets/property (car) they would be laughed out of office.

I truly believe there is a case to be made regarding this law's constitutional validity. The government may not respect the constitution, but the High Court is still obliged to do so.
2004 BA1 Futura - XT/Ghia headlight clusters, satin black upper and lower grilles, black slim plates, red interior LEDs, Clarion 6.5" upgrade, XR alloy pedals, FG alloy scuff plates, wheels, tint and lower to come...
Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #71
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFrod
I agree - private property is not respected here as it should be. I'm not advocating all facets of the American political system, but speaking as someone who grew up between Tasmania and Tennessee, if a government tried to seize a citizen's assets/property (car) they would be laughed out of office.

I truly believe there is a case to be made regarding this law's constitutional validity. The government may not respect the constitution, but the High Court is still obliged to do so.
Without going into too much detail (and making a mockery of the site T&C's), the High Court judges are appointed by Govco. Make of that what you will.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #72
blk6t

This is WRONG, you shouldn't lose your car if your doing 45+ over the limit. Your car should be confiscated if you are charged with Dangerous driving twice, or Drink driving twice NOT 45+ over!

As that picture shows if the limit there is 80km/h and you do 130kn/h very easily how is that dangerous, yes cop the fine for speeding etc.

The police need to determine if your driving manner is dangerous to the public then charge you accordingly, in the suburbs 30+km/h is dangerous to the public and done twice you should lose your car under the charge ONLY.

But the other factor is confiscating cars, that is private property and this law gives the government the right to take private property, whats next your house?

And if they crush your car what a waste of resources and money!

Any way we can argue all day but we have no impact on this so everyone check your speed!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #73
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You mean voting for either side of the political spectrum:

I have gone over this many times but for those who are a bit thick or just one eyed party hacks who know no better this is how it works:

Lets say there are 2 parties, Black & White.
Black is in power, White is in opposition.

Each party has elected members, ABCD & E are in Black, FGH & I are in white.

White promise to fix all the Black problems

There is an election, A & B retain their seats while CD & E are all voted out
with FGH & I retaining their seats and 2 new whited JK & L getting in.

White is in power.

Nothing changes, they lied.

Next election Black get back is as FGHI & J are voted out leaving only K & L in white but now there are MN & O holding white seats.

The the new black government is ABMN & O and opposition is KLP & Q.

The parties remain but the members change.

CDEFGHI & J are all now not in power and will never get a chance to get back. They have lost.

The only thing the members want is for THEM to be in power, the party is just a means to an end and if they do not survive 3 elections they do not get any of the perks.

So if you flip flop your vote slamming the local member if they do not perform regardless of what party in a short period of time the members WILL perform as they cannot be in power if voted out.

This is the greatest fear of all the "faceless men" and party nutters as they only have their power by scaring the actual elected members into doing as they are told or face disendorsement.

Disendorsement means that they will no longer get the automatic votes of all the stupid and naive people and will have to actually do something to earn their votes so while the stupid and naive believe that one party is always better than the other or that it does not matter who you vote for as they are all as bad as each other then we, the ordinary people of Australia, will get screwed at every opportunity.

It is a massive con that has been going on for years and until we wake up to it we are at the mercy of the stupid and naive as every year there seem to be more and more of them.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #74
dylancox

What happens if a traffic law offender is not a resident or citizen of Australia? and the car they are operating is not their own for obvious reasons?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #75
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
And your reason for being 45kmh an hour over the limit is?

GOOD! take the boofheads car, i cant see an issue with it....

105kmh in a 60zone in the suburbs? YOU DESERVE IT!

So what if you loose your licence now? How many time have people been caught driving their car without a licence and it never stopped them? plenty...
^ This ^

'OMG the governmemt is so bad they wont let me do 45kph over the limit bloody nanny state, cash grab, revenue raiser etc..'

Drive safely or you wont be driving at all is the message here.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #76
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I don't condone speeding especially 45kms and over, the penalties are out of kilter with the "crime".

Eventually we we reinstall the death penalty in order to deal with traffic offences. Police will be given powers to execute you on the spot.

I think what the government is missing is when we all lose our divers licences it will put a huge dent in the revenue from traffic fines.

And no matter who you vote for in an election it won't change a thing. No government is going to reduce penalties for traffic offences. The first death on our roads would have the opposition party blame the governing party for the death due to the reduction in fines and penalties.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #77
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolleymammoth

i for one feel sorry for you . but when this law comes in you would have your car gone as well . , and quite honestly nothing happened to any property or person etc etc .
licence loss to some degree would seem fair in your case i think , but i think the punishment your getting is too harsh already , losing your car as well . the thought makes me furious .
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #78
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
And your reason for being 45kmh an hour over the limit is?

GOOD! take the boofheads car, i cant see an issue with it....

105kmh in a 60zone in the suburbs? YOU DESERVE IT!

So what if you loose your licence now? How many time have people been caught driving their car without a licence and it never stopped them? plenty...
Last year in the Lane Cove Tunnel, the speed cameras were 'accidentally' left on to enforce a 40kmh workzone. Trouble is, thousands got stung doing 80-90kmh in the tunnel when there was no roadworks happening and no warning; just a 40kmh sign right on the camera. Only due to media pressure were the fines/points eventually overturned.

So the problem is if you make a mistake and rip through a workzone at 100km (say the normal limit) and the roadworks limit is 40kmh then, if this happens twice, over however many years, you lose your car.

What guarantee can the govt. give that 'mistakes' with fixed cameras won't happen, regarding road work zones?

Will this rule be applied to police who speed without the use of lights or sirens?

What is 'street racing?' A chirp of the tyres? Or a full on F&Furious neon, flamed up drag race? Or is it up to police officers' discretion? Much like it being illegal to operate 'loud' stereos in cars at Brighton (the definition of 'loud' being up to a police officer's discretion).

Last edited by Fiesta_Man69; 06-03-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #79
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
I have gone over this many times but for those who are a bit thick or just one eyed party hacks who know no better this is how it works:

White is in power.

Next election Black get back is as FGHI & J are voted out leaving only K & L in white but now there are MN & O holding white seats.

CDEFGHI & J are all now not in power and will never get a chance to get back. They have lost.

The only thing the members want is for THEM to be in power, the party is just a means to an end and if they do not survive 3 elections they do not get any of the perks.

So if you flip flop your vote slamming the local member if they do not perform regardless of what party in a short period of time the members WILL perform as they cannot be in power if voted out.

This is the greatest fear of all the "faceless men" and party nutters as they only have their power by scaring the actual elected members into doing as they are told or face disendorsement.

Disendorsement means that they will no longer get the automatic votes of all the stupid and naive people and will have to actually do something to earn their votes so while the stupid and naive believe that one party is always better than the other or that it does not matter who you vote for as they are all as bad as each other then we, the ordinary people of Australia, will get screwed at every opportunity.

It is a massive con that has been going on for years and until we wake up to it we are at the mercy of the stupid and naive as every year there seem to be more and more of them.
You make valid points flappy, however, for that to work, the system would have to have even a modicum of legitimacy. It does not have any.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #80
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Where is this road?? looks like heaven on earth.
Don't know where it is...but the long straight ones out here you aren't so much looking ahead with a 1000 yard blissful stare and considering the speed you could be doing...one of you is scanning one side of the road, and you the other, watching for suicidal kangaroos that appear out of nowhere even on apparently-empty areas like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04
I know the answer; I don't need to give it full throttle, but what's the point of a car with grunt if we're all pansies about life... FFS, the Australian government needs to get real, and take a look at how the euro countries are doing things.
First, there's an old saying about "you can get to 100kph as quick as you like, it's when you go past it that it's illegal". A "car with grunt" lets you do this...legally. Enjoy the acceleration, and you can, but why keep accelerating way beyond the limit when you know you'll be slapped if a cop car appears over the horizon or one is hiding behind a tree.

Second...you can't even begin to remotely compare "the way they do things in Europe" with Australia. As I said before, most "highways" here are barely built to take cars and trucks and B-doubles and triples doing 100 to 110, much less "European" speeds and conditions. If you are blessed to live in the south east corner of Queensland for example, you could be forgiven for wondering what us country hicks are whinging about with our roads...aren't all highways a minimum of divided carriageway four lane highways on which 110 feels slow?
There's a reason that we will be replacing the otherwise nice 19" turbo wheels on our G6E with a maximum of 18" rims and tyres when the 19's wear out, and it isn't the cost of the tyres. The roads out here, even the Bruce Highway down the coast, and the Capricorn Highway, just aren't built for it...and they're national highways. not country back roads. 100 to 110 on them feels plenty, even in the best of cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
So the problem is if you make a mistake and rip through a workzone at 100km (say the normal limit) and the roadworks limit is 40kmh then, if this happens twice, over however many years, you lose your car.
So follow the road signs at roadworks, whenever there's a sign there...simple. It's one of my greatest joys to hold up impatient idiots trying to fly through roadworks who come screaming up behind me and have to slow down. Guess they have no problem with the consequences if there are roadworks going on and they either hit a worker or damage their car and find that insurance doesn't want anything to do with them...
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #81
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So as its to be in NSW if doing 145 in a 100 zone you lose licence and car. Do 145 in NT in a 130 zone its a $200 fine and you dont burst into flames and go to hell. Even 45 and over in the NT i believe is a $500 fine.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #82
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
I wish people would do this, but when it comes time to actually vote, people don't give a toss and think it's to hard to take 5 min's out of their day to go and vote and whinge and moan about having to, but yet somehow they find the time to whinge and moan continuely on the internet about a Gov that the majority of people voted for.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #83
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Last year in the Lane Cove Tunnel, the speed cameras were 'accidentally' left on to enforce a 40kmh workzone. Trouble is, thousands got stung doing 80-90kmh in the tunnel when there was no roadworks happening and no warning; just a 40kmh sign right on the camera. Only due to media pressure were the fines/points eventually overturned.

What guarantee can the govt. give that 'mistakes' with fixed cameras won't happen, regarding road work zones?

Will this rule be applied to police who speed without the use of lights or sirens?

What is 'street racing?' A chirp of the tyres? Or a full on F&Furious neon, flamed up drag race? Or is it up to police officers' discretion? Much like it being illegal to operate 'loud' stereos in cars at Brighton (the definition of 'loud' being up to a police officer's discretion).
I answered this sort of question/ comment previously in this thread regarding roadworks and speed restrictions.

They cant put up say a 40kmh speed restriction suddenly if the speed limit is 80kmh for example.... it must go 80.... 60...... 40.
Again if you get pinged, dont pay the fine and go to the magistrates stating the signage was NOT set out according to the MUTC rules.

The problem is people dont know the rules and simply pay the fine.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #84
jcat58

Quote:

White is in power.

Gee Flappist you lost me with all these alphabet members,but whoever gets in next will probably be RS
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #85
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Where is this road?? looks like heaven on earth.
Hi, do beleive this is the Barrier hwy between Broken Hill NSW and Peterborough SA. This isnt long compared to what is between Coober Pedy and Alice springs though.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 06-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #86
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Just to continue my earlier post, i have seen school zones on country roads that are normally 100 zones. make a 2 second mistake and decelerate too late when plod pings you, and all of a sudden you are doing 60km over the limit. doesn't matter that 2 seconds later you had dropped your speed right down, or that there were no kids about and just a radar behind some bushes. The courts and media will all jump onto the fact that you were 60 over, regardless of how good a driver you are, and how good your attitude is. And may heaven help you if the car you are driving is a performance vehicle of any sort.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #87
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

White is in power.

Just to continue the theme.....WTF?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #88
GUNXR6T
SRBRO

Quote:
If it's yours, why do you you have to ask someone else permission to do something in YOUR backyard....

coz if u dont u get fined from council, that was my point, u own it but u dont.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #89
Djrystofer

If you get caught doing 155kph, you're an idiot.
If you get caught TWICE doing 155kph, within 5 months, you're an idiot.

Not saying they have the right to 'confiscate' your car, but you should've known when you got caught the first time not to do it again
Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

For me, on our main highway out of my country town, about 15km down there is a school on the side of the road, now up until 5 or so years ago, there was no timed school speed limit restriction there, so back then you could do 100km/h right past the school without breaking the law.

These days, 2:30-4PM it goes from 100km/h to 60km/h, so you'd be pushing a high level license loss there here in Victoria if you got done doing 100km/h through there, its only a 100m stretch that it drops from 100 to 60 as well, if it was "safe" 5 years ago, why isn't it safe now?

There is camera cars on this highway regularily, but I've never seen them in that 60 zone, or any police there, and most people just do 100km/h through it anyways.
Closed Thread