Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #61
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes.. not to mention Ford spend tens of millions of dollars participating in V8Supercars.. which is one big brand advert...
But to come up with a 45sec advert like that is embarrasing to the Ford name! They ve gotta be smoking something good to come up with that. Maybe they'll get it right for the FPV who knows.
Old 20-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #62
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes.. not to mention Ford spend tens of millions of dollars participating in V8Supercars.. which is one big brand advert...
yes, and this could very well have a more damaging effect on brand perception going forward?!?!

Imagine the uproar here if and when Ford decide enough of V8Supercars!

Wouldn't be surprised to see a shift of branding from Ford to FPV for the series.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #63
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
yes, and this could very well have a more damaging effect on brand perception going forward?!?!

Imagine the uproar here if and when Ford decide enough of V8Supercars!

Wouldn't be surprised to see a shift of branding from Ford to FPV for the series.
Arguably as it should be.. FPV has more "in common" with V8SC than Ford....
Its only the participation costs that proclude FPV and HSV names being used...

Old 20-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #64
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah would be good to see Fpv get in there, would be great for sales too.
Old 20-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #65
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

while we're on the subject...

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car...w/2935888.aspx
Old 20-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #66
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:

Like you said previously "They pay for advertising" what makes you think that's any different.

And no I'm not asking for a reply
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #67
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Imho

The thing is that everyone else here has one also, why is it that some people seem to take offence on behalf of others so often and try to point out where people are going wrong..........In Your Opinion

Everyone has something to say, just like yourself, only apart from one other person you seem to be the only one standing up for this argument.

If you read the Thread Title the author asks if it's "Just Him" obviously it's not so I think we have our answer to what the thread was trying to get at.

Quote:
the ad doesn't need to succeed amongst an enthusiast group to succeed. Furthermore, and more importantly, an ad that is deemed successful amongst enthusiasts is not a requirement for sales success, ie Holden Commodore!
No but when you have lost so many "enthusiasts" with a style that really isn't to many of there tastes then I think it might be a good idea to start pushing sales back to them through other avenues and for other reasons rather than just them being "enthusiasts. Your "enthusiat group" is what keeps you going through the rough times, lose them and you surely lose the fight.

As for the Commodore ads, nothing better in my opinion, again going back to your "psychology" argument what better way to sell a car than to pull at the heart strings and memories of ordinary Australians. The ute and the Commodore going through the morphs is one of the best ways I have seen to bring back childhood memeories of when times were better for everyone. Who didn't have maybe a grandparent or an uncle that had one and they remember going fishing or camping or to the footy in one, good times and great memories sometimes help us decide our future.

Last edited by XRQTR; 20-05-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 21-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #68
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably Ford need to get in there and pump themselves up a bit. Holden and Toyota do it. It's kinda frustrating to watch Holen advertise their Captiva as having 30% better fuel economy compared to the Ford Territory and throwing in words like "Aussie built V6" etc. Only car enthusiats know it a South Korean dunga and they even have the cheek to compare diesel to petrol fuel figures. Joe Public doesn't know this and Holden know he doesn't, hence this style of advertising. Toyota are similar ie. their 'game over' slogan with the Camry, the enthusiast knows it is'nt by a long shot, but the general public doesn't and Toyota play on this just like Holden...Ford have some real strong points with the superior, "Only OZ designed and built 6 cylinder", "class leading performance, safety and transmission" etc. These things need to be pointed out to the unknowing, and most will never know unless they are told imo.
A good axample of Holden's work with perception was when my sister was looking for a 1st car. She was looking at a Barina, she didn't believe me when I said it's a Korean rolling coffin. she thought it would have been a good car because it's Australin built with Australian quality, because it had a Holden badge.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #69
red_hotxr6
Banned

Dont worry about the ad, leave that to Holden to ' make there car" look the goods. Be satisfied that when you shell out your hard earned cash, you are driving one of the better, performing, thriftier 6 or v8 models in Australia for the money. Let Holden and Holden drivers worry about cars that ' change shape and color" and do not match the new falcon FG series....GO FORD...... :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #70
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I think the current G-Series ads on TV are just fine. Ford seems to have picked up the advertising in the last week.

Makes me want to go and check them out.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #71
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
The thing is that everyone else here has one also, why is it that some people seem to take offence on behalf of others so often and try to point out where people are going wrong..........In Your Opinion

Everyone has something to say, just like yourself, only apart from one other person you seem to be the only one standing up for this argument.

If you read the Thread Title the author asks if it's "Just Him" obviously it's not so I think we have our answer to what the thread was trying to get at.

No but when you have lost so many "enthusiasts" with a style that really isn't to many of there tastes then I think it might be a good idea to start pushing sales back to them through other avenues and for other reasons rather than just them being "enthusiasts. Your "enthusiat group" is what keeps you going through the rough times, lose them and you surely lose the fight.

As for the Commodore ads, nothing better in my opinion, again going back to your "psychology" argument what better way to sell a car than to pull at the heart strings and memories of ordinary Australians. The ute and the Commodore going through the morphs is one of the best ways I have seen to bring back childhood memeories of when times were better for everyone. Who didn't have maybe a grandparent or an uncle that had one and they remember going fishing or camping or to the footy in one, good times and great memories sometimes help us decide our future.
I know i'm not taking offence, so i don't know what you mean by that!

I am taking a different view that's all. I realise my view is just that, a view and do not claim that I am correct. I am simply backing up my view with what I think are the motives and reasons behind the change of media philosophy.

You claim the Holden philosophy is better, I disagree, because the sales figures don't support that view.

This is the main reason why I support what Ford is trying to do. There's no point continuing with a formula that doesn't work is today's market, there for they need to try something different.

So I'll leave it at that, and it's ok to disagree.
Old 22-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #72
GTP290

oh maybe Im being a bit harsh towards the add....but Holden have top adds, why cant Ford! btw still havent seen an FG on the road yet..has anyone?
Old 22-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #73
cool65
carefactor zero

best add at the moment is actually for the 1(one) series BMW.
It's way cool to see customer at the assembly line dodging robotics & waiting for their car to be built for their "driving experience"
Holden has been playing the "family" advertising game for years
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #74
RATT
In a Pug..

I don't understand why there is bickering over an ad! It will not sway any of us here to buy one, we already support the brand one way or another. To me it's an ad that's more refined than the Holden one.
Holdens ad is good but it will never convince me to by a Commodore. If I was to buy one, it would be based on it's merrits. For example if the XR6 Turbo did not exist since 2002, I would not have bought a BA and then a BF. I may well have bought a Commodore for the performance.

No ad will make me, an "enthusiast", but a Ford or a Holden. My mind is already made up.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I don't understand why there is bickering over an ad! It will not sway any of us here to buy one, we already support the brand one way or another. To me it's an ad that's more refined than the Holden one.
Holdens ad is good but it will never convince me to by a Commodore. If I was to buy one, it would be based on it's merrits. For example if the XR6 Turbo did not exist since 2002, I would not have bought a BA and then a BF. I may well have bought a Commodore for the performance.

No ad will make me, an "enthusiast", but a Ford or a Holden. My mind is already made up.
Stop it with all the common sense will you....

Old 22-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #76
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

I get seasick watching the new Ford adds.
Think they shot with wobbly cam.
Will someone lend them a tripod.
Old 23-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #77
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
I know i'm not taking offence, so i don't know what you mean by that!

I am taking a different view that's all.

Which was noted but you seem to come back to most of the responses here telling people why they are wrong and how your view is the correct one, again the author asked if others felt the same way he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
For example if the XR6 Turbo did not exist since 2002, I would not have bought a BA and then a BF. I may well have bought a Commodore for the performance.

Bud correct me if I'm wrong but don't you work for a dealership, one which is also a sponsor of the forums??

For you to disagree would be like Jesus himself coming down and saying that God or the Bible is a fake and that we should believe in the other side, aint gonna happen.

However you did say that if the XR6 turbo wasn't available you would buy a Commodore, so by that I take it you're saying that the XR8 is a POS when it comes to performance.

Keep in mind that the big guy himself had to send a memo to all dealers explaining the meaning and thought behind the ad and the direction it tried to take the company. Any ad that needs to be explained to the people that are trying to sell any product is a failure in so many ways, an ad needs to be easily identifiable with a product, unless you're trying for a neiche market which I don't think would be the case here.

If the salespeople don't get it until it's explained to them then the Joe Averages of this world have bucklies chance until maybe they have a "Funniest Ads" special where they explain it to everyone watching, just a pity it's about 5 years after this caused the failure of a company.
Old 23-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #78
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Which was noted but you seem to come back to most of the responses here telling people why they are wrong and how your view is the correct one, again the author asked if others felt the same way he did.

Bud correct me if I'm wrong but don't you work for a dealership, one which is also a sponsor of the forums??

For you to disagree would be like Jesus himself coming down and saying that God or the Bible is a fake and that we should believe in the other side, aint gonna happen.

However you did say that if the XR6 turbo wasn't available you would buy a Commodore, so by that I take it you're saying that the XR8 is a POS when it comes to performance.

Keep in mind that the big guy himself had to send a memo to all dealers explaining the meaning and thought behind the ad and the direction it tried to take the company. Any ad that needs to be explained to the people that are trying to sell any product is a failure in so many ways, an ad needs to be easily identifiable with a product, unless you're trying for a neiche market which I don't think would be the case here.

If the salespeople don't get it until it's explained to them then the Joe Averages of this world have bucklies chance until maybe they have a "Funniest Ads" special where they explain it to everyone watching, just a pity it's about 5 years after this caused the failure of a company.
So we should take your opinion as the correct one then!?

ok, I get it now!

Thanks ;)

p.s. I now hate the ad. :togo:
Old 24-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #79
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I agree with the thread starter. Ford ads are like their sales, they just get worse and worse. I thought they sacked most of the trash after the tragedy that was named AU!

FG, off to a bade start, factory about to have down days due to lack of sales, and what is worse, factory has to work overtime in Broadmeadows last two weeks so they could try and fix problems with cars.

I really hope Ford can pull it together.
Old 24-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #80
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I agree with the thread starter. Ford ads are like their sales, they just get worse and worse. I thought they sacked most of the trash after the tragedy that was named AU!

FG, off to a bade start, factory about to have down days due to lack of sales, and what is worse, factory has to work overtime in Broadmeadows last two weeks so they could try and fix problems with cars.

I really hope Ford can pull it together.
Not sure how Sales/Marketing effect the design of a car?? :
And the AU is a tragedy?....again i'll go with a :
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2008, 02:27 AM   #81
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:

Like I said, I don't need an ad to convince me to buy a Falcon. Where I work is not relevant as I have bought Fords prior to working for a dealership and sponsoring AFF.
I was and am a Ford buyer, irrespective of how good or bad an ad is.

And no the XR8 is not a POS as you put it, it was merely a scenario that may have occured if the XR6 Turbo didn't exist.

You seem to be quite worked up over an advertisement that is not aimed at you. It is aimed at your wife/sister etc and the family that hasn't bought a Falcon before. Ads are never going to appeal to everyone, and sitting on a keyboard all fired up is not going to change that.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #82
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
How do you think a company works out what the market actually wants in a product? This all relates to marketing. It is not just selling of a product but the research of a product. It is a form of communication. That is why most companies conduct surveys. So it is all related. Maybe a little complex for some

: : : : : : :
Old 24-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #83
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
How do you think a company works out what the market actually wants in a product? This all relates to marketing. It is not just selling of a product but the research of a product. It is a form of communication. That is why most companies conduct surveys. So it is all related. Maybe a little complex for some

: : : : : : :

Of course its all related, but the designers still design the car, then the builders build the car and then the marketers get told here you go! market it!
Then, strangely enough the car gets sent to the seller who sells the car.

Doesn't seem complicated to me! You wouldn't get a pole dancer to give you a haircut would you?

Having said all that, the marketing department probably does has a small say in how parts of the car are designed, things like the new door handles could have been derived from surveys etc. but thats a very small part in the overall design scheme.
Old 24-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #84
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
So we should take your opinion as the correct one then!?

ok, I get it now!

Thanks ;)

p.s. I now hate the ad. :togo:
umm I don't recall asking anyone to take my opinion as there own, but if after careful consideration you have seen the light then we would be happy for you to join us
Old 24-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #85
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Of course its all related, but the designers still design the car, then the builders build the car and then the marketers get told here you go! market it!
Then, strangely enough the car gets sent to the seller who sells the car.

Doesn't seem complicated to me! You wouldn't get a pole dancer to give you a haircut would you?

Having said all that, the marketing department probably does has a small say in how parts of the car are designed, things like the new door handles could have been derived from surveys etc. but thats a very small part in the overall design scheme.

It's market researchers that ultimately decide what goes into a car, only after they have collated all there data does the design team then get a brief of what needs to be put into any new designs and then only after consultation with them are any deviations made from the original brief.

As for the "Door Handle" being a small thing, think again these are aimed at both the elderly and kids, making them the shape they are makes small hands as well as mildly arthritic hands able to grasp the handle easier. It's easier to pull down rather than up, plus people with arthritis often find it difficult to twist the wrist in order to get there fingers under a conventional handle with this they don't even have to pull they can just slide there hand in deep enough to push the handle out with there forearm if necessary.

As for the pole dancer comment, I used to know some very good hair dressers that worked as pole dancers.
Old 24-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #86
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
It's market researchers that ultimately decide what goes into a car, only after they have collated all there data does the design team then get a brief of what needs to be put into any new designs and then only after consultation with them are any deviations made from the original brief.

As for the "Door Handle" being a small thing, think again these are aimed at both the elderly and kids, making them the shape they are makes small hands as well as mildly arthritic hands able to grasp the handle easier. It's easier to pull down rather than up, plus people with arthritis often find it difficult to twist the wrist in order to get there fingers under a conventional handle with this they don't even have to pull they can just slide there hand in deep enough to push the handle out with there forearm if necessary.

As for the pole dancer comment, I used to know some very good hair dressers that worked as pole dancers.

Totally agree with what you're saying but there is a difference between market researchers and marketers..

Back on topic slightly, I gotta say the ad has started to grow on me, is it aimed at me? no will i still buy a G6ET when the time is right? hell yes!
Old 25-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #87
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Would you agree it might be fair to say that was what Redrum meant, I think he just made an honest mistake.
Old 25-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #88
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Yeah i'm willing, in the end we're all on the same side here
Old 25-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #89
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I have made no honest mistake, I merely have criticized Ford in one arena and continued that criticism in a related arena and then copped criticism from this arena. No mistakes. I do believe they are all related but quite simply %%% it.
Old 25-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #90
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
My point. Ford sells a product, yes?

They have to develop a product they believe the market wants, yes?

They then have to pitch that product at the market, yes?

My point is that they are failing at all the above points.

It ain't that hard.