Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Is the chrysler srt8 core ripper value at $49,990 drive away

I reckon they look fantastic in white or black, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge are on a winner with their new generation vehicles, the Grand Cherokee is also a good car.

Less 5sp autos though, you'd think that 6sp would be the minimum now.

At least its not a 4sp, the only decent one of those I've driven was a 4L80E.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #62
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found the 5 speed to be fine. It's smooth at normal cruising speed, and quite intuitive under acceleration. It could do with another cog no doubt, and isn't as good as a ZF, but I never drive the car thinking that the auto is a weak link
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #63
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
He said it looks worse than the FG's
Yeah, but saying a car is terrible because you don't like the way it looks is not right.
Looks are subjective.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #64
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Yeah, but saying a car is terrible because you don't like the way it looks is not right.
Looks are subjective.
It's an opinion, every ones entitled to an opinion, view etc etc
Move on
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #65
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Yeah heaven forbid owners and enthusiasts of a Ford product posting on a Ford enthusiast's forum think highly of the cars they own and admire What Ford do you own, out of curiosity?
Right now none. I like Fords/Falcons for what they are, I'm a car enthusiast and understand that a Falcon can fit the bill of cheap performance with no other winning features. If all you want is a cheap car with the potential to be quick then Falcadores fit the bill.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #66
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

I don't know if it's because I'm "young", but I love the look of these things. The 300C was a looker as well. Looks really techy on the inside as well. I would love to own one of these

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #67
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A black 300C of some sort came around the corner and drove past me as I was walking around the shops this morning.
Man it was loud plus low with what I would guess are 22 inch rims.
Love it or hate it, it definitely made its presence felt, almost everyone turned and looked.
The one thing I do find boring with them is the big diameter rims. Whenever you see them fitted they always seem to stick to the same multi spoke style. The diameter is huge which cars this size can obviously get away with but they never appear wide enough and to me that detracts from the overall look.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #68
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
im not a car enthusiast im a ford enthusiasts **** other car makers
You're not a Ford enthusiast you are a Ford extremist.

You will probably take that as a compliment.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #69
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a ford forum, do you expect to not find people passionate about fords here

As for the 300C I looked at them when doing my recent round of shopping. The 5spd auto really put me off the car. I don't mind the looks too much but I couldn't see me holding onto the 300 for more than a few years if I had've bought it.

It will be interesting to see what sort of value these cars are when/if the next version comes out.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #70
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
You're not a Ford enthusiast you are a Ford extremist.

You will probably take that as a compliment.

Correct i do so thanks for the compliment
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Any reason why Chrysler is discounting the SRT8 Core or is this just one particular car at a dealer?
ANSWER: They are 2013 Compliance Plates.

Would the SSV Redline be better value for money?
I know the power is not anywhere near as good as the Core but the overall package is hard to go past...

I'm prepared to wait and see what XR8 looks like and what the actual package is, maybe the price will shock us in a good way..

Last edited by jpd80; 25-05-2014 at 06:41 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #72
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2013 build, mines 2014 compliance
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #73
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
It is a ford forum, do you expect to not find people passionate about fords here
Yeah, of course I expect most to be passionate about Fords , and Ford enthusiasts and Ford extremists are both very passionate...but only one of them has an objective opinion worth listening to. My best man is a Ford enthusiast.

Passion is one thing; blind passion is something else.

If I was to poo in a shoe box and then put a blue oval badge on it, and someone then pointed at it and told people it was an awesome car, I wouldn't value their opinion about anything automotive-related.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #74
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Any reason why Chrysler is discounting the SRT8 Core or is this just one particular car at a dealer?

I know the power is not anywhere near as good as the Core but the overall package is hard to go past...
the ssv is almost 80kw short. Its a nice car the ssv but totally outgunned by srt8.

if ssv gets the ls3 it would be getting close to being in the ballpark.

if the xr8 looks tough and has the miami supercharged v8 it may be a good alternative to srt8 core

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 25-05-2014 at 07:38 PM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #75
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

I'm prepared to wait and see what XR8 looks like and what the actual package is, maybe the price will shock us in a good way..
I drove a SSV Redline before deciding on my SRT8. Its hard work going down from FPV performance down to SSv Redline performacne and the key is that the torque delivery of the SSV doesn't really happen until quite late in the rev range, whereas OTOH SRT8 is making 90% of its 631 nm's at only 2900 revs and mid range power 2,000 - 4,000 revs feels at least the equal of a SC FPV but the SSV Redline with only 517 nm's in auto form felt quite anemic to me until 4,000 revs and even after that didn;t really float my boat.

People going on about how they don't like the look should go into a showroom and have a look in the metal before making their mind up.. You'll either like the retro American styling or you won't. I swore they were as ugly as a pig's backside when they first came out in the photo's but when you go and have a look and test drive them they make sense in a quirky retro gangsta American sort of way.

The other major complaint seems to be the 5 speed gearbox.
Let me set the record straight. This is a Mercedes Benz 5G Tronic unit that was until very recently still used in the Mercedes-Benz S 600 because its the only gearbox they had capable of handling its 830nm output. The box is I understand rated at just on 1,000 nm's so no torque tags are required modulating the big Hemi's output and you arn't going to break this gearbox, unlike the ZF's which are getting bent out of shape on the regular basis by many who have tuned their FPV's.

Thing is, the reason everyone went to 6 speed box's in the first place was to drop the cruising revs on the open road to increase fuel economy, but Chrysler counter by fitting the Hemi with cylinder deactivation technology so in practice I find about 95% of the time on the open road its only running on four cylinders. According to official ADR figures, notwithstanding the extra revs its running, because of the cylinder deactivation tech, its rated at 8.6L/100 km's extra urban, which is more than 10% more fuel efficient than a SC FPV. This alternative technology works better than a 6 speed auto in respect to fuel economy. Yes the gap in the 5 speed between 2nd and 3rd is fairly wide in the 5 speed box but the torque profile of the Hemi easily handles that. Yes in a perfect world I would have liked to see the ZF8 in the Chrysler SRT8 but the world isn't perfect at this price point and that's a reality I'm happy to accept, rather than empty the bank account completly on a better looking Jaguar XFR with the better gearbox.

Thing is, at $49,990 for the Core, less any further discount you can negotiate, you're still getting a car with a very strong chassis that's fitted with quality gear like decent Bilstein suspension, 4 pot front Brembo's with 360mm rotors and four pot 350 Brembo rears, swivelling xenon headlights 8.4 inch touchscreen with a heap of real time on board performance measurement data, a decent premium stereo e.t.c.e.t.c. its not a base spec stipped out saloon with hopeless brakes or suspension, far from it...although personally I think it was a mistake to strip the leather seats out.

Sooner or later people will have to face up to the fact that they have bugger all choice in this price range for a large performance sedan....funny thing is that of all those who've accepted this reality and moved on too enjoying the future already, nobody seems to have regretted it.

Last edited by Rodge; 25-05-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #76
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Yeah, of course I expect most to be passionate about Fords , and Ford enthusiasts and Ford extremists are both very passionate...but only one of them has an objective opinion worth listening to. My best man is a Ford enthusiast.

Passion is one thing; blind passion is something else.

If I was to poo in a shoe box and then put a blue oval badge on it, and someone then pointed at it and told people it was an awesome car, I wouldn't value their opinion about anything automotive-related.

**** in a shoe box sounds like most holdens and the srt8
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #77
HULK_I6T
Banned

My next car will be a SRT8 core or xr8 fh..

im eyeing off the fh xr8 as the fh model will be better than the fg and the last falcon and the xr8 should be better than a fg GT 335 at a lower price

then there is the srt8 core. If it werent for the miami v8, the srt8 core would be a no brainer...everywhere except the motor I would choose the srt8.

In saying that dont know how I wouldnt be happy with 6.4 litres of v8 with 347kw and 631nm
Old 25-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #78
Rodge
Banned

The Hemi is a cracker Hulk. Heaps of low down torque, more than the SC FPV.
Dug out the official extra urban fuel economy for you guys
SC FPV 9.8 L 100 km's auto, 10.3L/100 km's manual
SRT8 8.7 L/100 km's.
The SC FPV burns at least 12.6% more fuel...

Based on figures to date I'm finding my SRT8 is about 15% more efficient than my SC GT-P, as well as better anbd more comfortable handling. Full spec SRT8 with its track and sport suspension modes beat a SC FPV R Spec around the track in the only independent track comparison, (Motor magazine February 2013) and that's despite the weight advantage of the FPV and its higher stright line speeds achieved on the track so clearly the SRT8 handles well for a large heavy saloon.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #79
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
SRT8 8.7 L/100 km's.

Based on figures to date I'm finding my SRT8 is about 15% more efficient than my SC GT-P, as well as better anbd more comfortable handling. Full spec SRT8 with its track and sport suspension modes beat a SC FPV R Spec around the track in the only independent track comparison, (Motor magazine February 2013) and that's despite the weight advantage of the FPV and its higher stright line speeds achieved on the track so clearly the SRT8 handles well for a large heavy saloon.
interested in your thoughts on 6.4 hemi vs miami supercharged.

You moved on the s/c miami for the srt8? Give us all the Good, bad and ugly?
Old 25-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #80
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be really surprised if the FH XR8 was "better" than the FG GT.

I think it'll be GS spec/driveline at best. Yep you can tune it but it's missing a lot of the other stuff.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #81
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
**** in a shoe box sounds like most holdens and the srt8
When is Ford Aus closing again?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #82
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd have one. To me it's the poor mans Bentley. A few people here are saying it looks boring and lacks style but a lot of high end base model cars do. Class and elegance is hard to pull off, and Chrysler had a crack at doing so. I think they just fell short of the mark but it's still an awesome overall package.

I love Ford and FPV but the one thing they lack is tech. I understand a lot of people don't care for it, but this new generation we are in demands the latest and greatest gear at an affordable price... The Chrysler SRT8 Core does it.
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #83
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Talking Re: Is the chrysler srt8 core ripper value at $49,990 drive away

Quote:
SRT8 8.7 L/100 km's.

The F6 was better than the GT at everything until you got a GT you were adamant.... Then the GT was better than the F6 when you got a GT, at everything,..... Now the SRT8 is better than the GT now you have one, at everything, ROFLMAO. You just convince yourself of whatever you want to at the time Rodge. Just justifying your own purchase to yourself. What ever works for you bud!
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #84
ZGM86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
People use the 300c as hire cars and wedding cars. Because they have an awesome presence and timeless look. And because people will pay to be seen in them. Did you ever hear of someone asking for a FG as a wedding car / hire car?
Yep. I requested an FG XR6 the last time I had a rental car.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #85
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Did you ever hear of someone asking for a FG as a wedding car / hire car?
I have over the last few months asked for an XR6 twice and have been obliged.

Serious clutch of straws.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #86
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are 2013 models, that's one good reason why they're 'cheap', they're runouts

Can we find out what the 4 classic high performance cars are that you own Benito so that we can pick them to pieces like you do others choices about most things?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #87
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
The F6 was better than the GT at everything until you got a GT you were adamant.... Then the GT was better than the F6 when you got a GT, at everything,..... Now the SRT8 is better than the GT now you have one, at everything, ROFLMAO. You just convince yourself of whatever you want to at the time Rodge. Just justifying your own purchase to yourself. What ever works for you bud!
Its only natural for people to buy better and better cars. F6 is a great car but the GT is noisier, quicker and has more cheap mod potential. But in turn the SRT8 is more refined, more well rounded, packed with more features and just a better car to be in day to day. Having been in these cars, even the FPVs feel basic after you've been in a spec'd up SRT8. For daily driving the SRT8 cant be beat in this country, in the rwd 4 door market.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #88
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Talking Re: Is the chrysler srt8 core ripper value at $49,990 drive away

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Its only natural for people to buy better and better cars.
Oh i dunno ..

I bought a Menace Sedan 4spd auto BA N/A 6 in 2005 then i put a turbo on it and bought another Menace Sedan 4spd auto BA N/A 6 to tow it with in 2014...

I guess i am stuck in a time warp
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 02:33 AM   #89
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
SRT8 8.7 L/100 km's.

I have to disagree with you regarding the low speed torque available in the GT's... they are officially rated at 570Nm but we all know they have around 650Nm with the factory tune so while the SRT has 631Nm at 2900rpm, the GT is making more than this from 2200rpm all the way till 5500rpm.

Also, the GT will have tighter gearing (ZF vs 5-speed) so there is always more torque (and power) available to the driver... you may be experiencing the so-called "placebo" effect.

The R-Spec GT would easily beat a fully spec'd SRT8 around the track as it is nearly 200kg lighter and making about 30hp more power.

The fact the GT uses more fuel is because the SRT8 sounds like an econobox at the lights (cylinder deactivation) but let's be honest, a V8 driver doesn't care how much fuel their car drinks!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #90
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Between this, the FH XR8 ($?k) and the Subbie WRX STI ($49K) we have some pretty good cars at decent prices! Who says cars are going down the toilet.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: