Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #9361
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Not too many international flights land at Toowoomba

You've got to then put them on domestic / charter flights and get them to Toowoomba and that's opened up the movement risk again.
At least for QLD they can direct international arrivals into Wellcamp. It's got a 9000ft runway and can land large aircraft. The guy who built it has aspirations to be BNE West, and it looks like a solid business plan for him.

On the way out, Qantas link to Brisbane, Sydney and onto the final destination.

I think it makes sense to do it for QLD. Not sure how quickly they could build it.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #9362
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 7th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

2 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.151%.

5 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.078% and active cases 66.

The UK had 15,845 cases yesterday and 373 deaths.

Just over 108k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,075 deaths sees CMR up to 1.721%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 106M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Europe passes 31M cases.

No countries
... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #9363
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
What happens when denied entry to or service in places though, if they do indeed push it even for domestic purposes, like how Berejik has been saying.

Seems we dont have much of a choice if they go that way.
But they will still tell you it's not mandatory

But then will probably give you no choice. May as well make it mandatory and spare us from the lie.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #9364
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m puzzled why staff are not semi-quarantined themselves, to form more manageable “cells”. And further why it’s still OK for some to work multiple jobs.
Yeah, the mind boggles on this.

I see SA have done something that should have been common sense for every other state. Only one hotel used for positive covid cases, and only staffed by SA health and police.
It's a step in the right direction and so bleeding obvious it should be done this way in the very least. No mixing of infected and not infected, no minimum wage security and hospitality staff, no 'any hotel is good enough if they'll have us' approach that our governments are taking too long to learn won't work.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #9365
hayseed

Quote:
Not too many international flights land at Toowoomba

You've got to then put them on domestic / charter flights and get them to Toowoomba and that's opened up the movement risk again.

it is an International (Freight) Airport though..

https://www.wellcamp.com.au/
Old 08-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #9366
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
But they will still tell you it's not mandatory

But then will probably give you no choice. May as well make it mandatory and spare us from the lie.
Its not, so the choice is still there.

Just like EV's will be a choice, but one day there may not be any fuel or it will be $5/L.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-02-2021, 04:25 PM   #9367
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

Just like EV's will be a choice, but one day there may not be any fuel or it will be $5/L.
Just like health insurance. It's not mandatory that you have one, but if you don't then we'll tax the bejesus out of you.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #9368
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

It's essentially forcing people to have it. So it's not exactly a cut and dry choice.

It's a bit different than the EV analogy.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #9369
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's essentially forcing people to have it. So it's not exactly a cut and dry choice.

That is how I see it, you can refuse but you wont be able to do so and so.

Probably wont be able to travel abroad without it, perhaps even move between state borders one day, especially if they call a lockdown/border closure.

Another clip of a journo who says he has been communicating with govt...says govt wants us jabbed ongoing every year....

Old 08-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #9370
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Another clip of a journo who says he has been communicating with govt...says govt wants us jabbed ongoing every year....
I have to get the flu shot every year. No difference I guess (as long as I don't get a Microsoft Chip in me )?
Old 08-02-2021, 07:16 PM   #9371
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have to get the flu shot every year. No difference I guess (as long as I don't get a Microsoft Chip in me )?
No you wouldnt want that, everything Microsoft gets viruses, so our chips would get a virus.

Hopefully they will be sensible, and run linux in the chips.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #9372
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you listen to Scomo's presser on the vaccine recently, you should have picked up that this will likely be an annual jab, just like the flu shot. Except he was very careful not to use the word "flu", I think he said something like "just like other things".
Old 08-02-2021, 09:30 PM   #9373
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably wont be able to travel abroad without it, perhaps even move between state borders one day, especially if they call a lockdown/border closure.

be interesting if any military refuse it
wouldnt be able to be deployed to action

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 09-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #9374
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
be interesting if any military refuse it
wouldnt be able to be deployed to action
Dought you would get much choice in the military, you'd probably end up digging big holes with a tea spoon till you changed your mind.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2021, 08:16 AM   #9375
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Everything is a choice, some are harder than others. You dont have to cav your kids but then you dont get a rebate for care. Choice is there and the Gov (voted by the people) need to introduce policy for the better of the country. What else can they do, as noted before there are other shots and vac's that you need to get to enter some countries so no different really.

In saying that I am in no rush, not doing OS travel this or probably next year so unless work pushes it no need to jump into it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #9376
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

One of many that should be shamed.............

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...f4d928af058e84
4 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #9377
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
One of many that should be shamed.............

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...f4d928af058e84
Didn't they have to show they had lost business before they were eligible for the funds? Or did they lie about it?
Old 09-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #9378
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 8th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

7 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.150%.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.078% and active cases 66.

The UK had 14,104 cases yesterday and 333 deaths.

Just under 92k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,323 deaths sees CMR down to 1.720%. That's the first day under 100k cases since November 3rd. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: None

No countries (for the second consecutive day)
... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #9379
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Didn't they have to show they had lost business before they were eligible for the funds? Or did they lie about it?
My accountant said it's the biggest rort in Australian history and we will still be paying all this back long after you and I and every other bugger on the forum is gone...........
I've got so many customers that have been flat out thru Covid and still receiving money from the Government..........
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #9380
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

It's been awhile since I drilled down on the USofA. 5 States have now recorded more than 1M cases led by California (3.4M) which took the top spot from Texas (2.5M), Florida 3rd (1.7M), New York up a place in 4th (1.52M) and Illinois down a spot in 5th with 1.1M.

In terms of cases per 100k of population, the order is quite different. North Dakota (12,897) is worst, followed by South Dakota (12,101), Rhode Island (11,277), Utah (10,819) and Tennessee (10,812).

In terms of deaths per 100k of population, New Jersey (246) is the worst State followed by New York (232), Massachusetts (215) Rhode Island (211) and Mississippi (209). The National average currently stands at 143.91/100k (that's 0.14% for the mathematically challenged).

At the other end of the survivability scale (ignoring the non mainland States) Vermont (29/100k) leads the way, followed by Oregon (47), Utah (52), Washington (58) and Virginia (79).

Vermont (2,077), Maine (3,077) and Oregon (3,427) have the lowest case rates per 100k of population - the National average is 8,367.

Obviously New Jersey has the worst CMR (3.04%) while the National average is 1.72%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #9381
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've got so many customers that have been flat out thru Covid and still receiving money from the Government..........
ive been as busy as usual thru all this (so work didnt decrease any and i still had to go to do it as transport is an essential service)
and haven't received an extra cent from anyone
but the company had us fill the paper work out and i believe they claimed it

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #9382
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The original JobKeeper test was based on projected turnover loss not actual against a comparison period last year.

There was quite a bit of uncertainty at the time and I think it is generally accepted that we have faired much better than anticipated.

It was well known it wasn't perfect from the start and as always some take the ****.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2021, 10:30 PM   #9383
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
The original JobKeeper test was based on projected turnover loss not actual against a comparison period last year.

There was quite a bit of uncertainty at the time and I think it is generally accepted that we have faired much better than anticipated.

It was well known it wasn't perfect from the start and as always some take the ****.
That many business's done some very creative accounting to produce a 30% downturn to get the payments thou................

Accountant was advised by the ATO that anyone who took Super early WILL be audited to prove hardship. But the Jobkeeper is to big. Not enough staff.......
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2021, 01:29 AM   #9384
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
WHO team: Coronavirus unlikely to have leaked from China lab

WUHAN, China — The coronavirus is unlikely to have leaked from a Chinese lab and is more likely to have jumped to humans from an animal, a World Health Organization team has concluded, an expert said Tuesday as the group wrapped up a visit to explore the origins of the virus.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 10-02-2021, 07:24 AM   #9385
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
My accountant said it's the biggest rort in Australian history and we will still be paying all this back long after you and I and every other bugger on the forum is gone...........
Yes, ashamed to say that I have seen mining companies do the same and most of them kept chugging along!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #9386
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #9387
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
As if they were ever going to find anything, or be allowed to find anything, that place would have been hospital grade cleaned prior to them turning up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
5 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #9388
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
with all the furkin round for WHO to get in to wohan to do their stuff , they sure managed to reach this conclusion fast

3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #9389
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Better late than never I guess...

Covid-19: Travellers face £1,750 cost for England quarantine hotels

Quote:
Travellers having to stay in quarantine hotels in England will be charged £1,750 for their stay, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has announced.

The measures, which come into force on Monday, apply to UK and Irish residents returning from 33 red list countries.

Those who fail to quarantine in a government-sanctioned hotel for 10 days face fines of up to £10,000.

Meanwhile, all travellers arriving into Scotland from abroad by air will have to go into quarantine hotels.

People travelling from red list countries to Wales and Northern Ireland will be required to book and pay for quarantine in England, as neither destination currently has any direct international flights.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55995645
Old 10-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #9390
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
That many business's done some very creative accounting to produce a 30% downturn to get the payments thou................

Accountant was advised by the ATO that anyone who took Super early WILL be audited to prove hardship. But the Jobkeeper is to big. Not enough staff.......
yes it stinks, people/companies on the take in hard times ! like wtf.
Trouble is hard to chase all this down.
Nick Scali copped it I see
https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...08-p570o0.html

In my Industry Auto Aftermarket post 1st lockdowns obviously we were all in the poop wondering when will this end and once it did and with NO OS travels etc to date most I know have been busy like mad.
People enhancing their 4x4's/towing, new caravans have a 6mth wait list etcetc And I've heard of companies writing down their turnover was down 30% and more so they could get JK etc...
Now some would be true but others yer well what do you expect.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Closed Thread