Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #961
Tomo1972

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

For FIFO say from Port Hedland or Kalgoolie back to Sydney, what are the costs incurred by the employee?

Special airfare rates?
Salary sacrifice available?
Employer paid/contributed?
Tomo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #962
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depending on employer some FIFO positions will pay for flights back to eastern states..

some do.. some dont.. if not.. its up to you to sort out flights ex perth..

some are negotiable.. i have wangled flights back to SA by doing longer swings..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #963
Motorbreath310

For all you people living in NSW fifo to WA is not the only answer. There are plenty of (coal) mines around Newcastle/Hunter Valley region as well as the Illawara/south coast. I work at a mine in Appin and commute from Wollongong but there are guys who commute from Bankstown, Bondi and even as far as an hour south down the coast. And don't believe any hype surrounding health issues underground because all PPE is supplied and it's usually a mandatory requirement to use it.

The pay from what I've seen is comparable if not better than the WA jobs and with better rosters. I currently work a mon-thurs afternoon shift roster (2:30-12:30) with overtime if I want it. Next month however, I'll be starting a fifo job into Narrabri, flights and accomodation paid for, 7/7 for more money and you still get holiday entitlements.

BHP and Xstrata are the companies to keep an eye on for cleanskin positions. If you want a family-friendly work life and a mining salary.

Last edited by Motorbreath310; 15-04-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #964
Motorbreath310

Double post

Last edited by Motorbreath310; 15-04-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Double post
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #965
Jedc
02Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Newman.. some great countryside up that way.. great town with good people just let down a little bit by the availability of grog.. what sort of work are you doing up there....

Sure is!!! Just yesterday coming off
Nightshift had one of the best sunrises I've ever seen. I do like the countryside!!
I work here as a storeman, however was previously driving trucks down in Perth. Trying to jump ship and get a uniform
And work as a serviceman or a service truck operator.

I'm through a labour hire mob, but there paying bugger all, however more important than the money is the site experience at the moment.

Hopefully score something more permanent soon.

2002 BA XR6T-
422RWHP
Jedc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #966
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As said before, its not what you know but who you know, you may be earning **** coin through labour hire but your already there and getting to know people, that will get you more places than someone in another state with experience, tickets and qualifications
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #967
Jedc
02Thief

Lyle your right mate!!

One reason I love being up here - Sunrise 15-4-12

2002 BA XR6T-
422RWHP
Jedc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #968
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Lol at sunrises ...yes we get em in moranbah too, reason is all the dust in the atmosphere , suck it in lads
Old 16-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #969
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
bit of sooking going on there.. you either make the grade or you dont..

drug or alcohol issues are usually pre existing.. dont blame the mines..

rosters / life balance.. you knew that before you signed up.. now go back to your $50k yr city job....
So true.

And many people know the rules and still try and get around it. So they play the game then sook when they get busted..please.

They pay is high because its not all roses, otherwise everyone would be doing it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #970
DRPXR6
Uted

i have to follow this thread, been thinking about it for a little while now, works starting to get a bit slow as im self employed and kinda need the money, need something more consistent. how ever ive got no experience at all which i think mite be a set back.i know its hard work but im willing. i want to try and get ahead and set things up for later down the track as im only 23, ive got a few mates interstate who do it, but cant get ahold of them that often. yes ive used the almighty google, however i'd rather hear from people that know a thing or to, peoples oppinions, and how to get into it with no experience. just wondering if anyone on here can help in any way at all. it would be really appreciated. i live in SA also if that makes any difference.

Don

Adelaide / Adelaide Hills
www.dpurdiephoto.com

Neo 07 BF mkii Ripcurl XR6 ute
K&N pannel filter - XR8 upper & F6 lower intakes - Terry pipe - 3 peice hard top -ASL iPhone Charging Auxiliary Booster/Line Conditioner

*R.I.P Vixen manual 06 BF XR6 UTE*
19' DARK AGENTS - 3 peice hard top - TWIN EXHAUST + more
DRPXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #971
69baldy

Question Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

I'm earning 90k working as a shift worker in the dairy industry in Victoria.My wife has family in Western Australia (Perth and Kununurra)and is busting my balls about moving over west.What would be a starting wage for a clean skin?my age is 43 we have 4 kids one has left the nest so three little one's to cart around with us am i too old?are mining towns okay for kids?.Kalgoorlie seem's an okay place for a family does anyone on this forum work in the mines around Kalgoorlie and if so what's it like? sorry for the epic cheers.
69baldy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #972
MAD
Petro-sexual

What opportunities exist for a relatively inexperienced Mechanical Engineer?
I've been working with a company in Melbourne designing and facilitating the manufacture of various lifting equipment for the last 4.5 years, but I feel it's getting a little stagnant and am interested in what else is out there.
And on top of this, we will be having our first child in about 5 weeks, and I am starting to get interested in the ability to earn well for her future, but also very interested in the lengthy periods of time at home, even if they are broken up by long periods away from home. I think in the end the balance is in my favour compared to that of a 9-5'er.

I had brief looks in to it but all I have seen say they want 3-5 years previous experience. How do you break in to it?
Old 25-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #973
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Hey Fellas,

First time poster but been watching this thread for a couple weeks now. Don't own a Ford yet as I moved back in february, but had an 08 5.4 FX4 F150 back in the states. As for mining I just got in last month due to a strike of luck for need of workers and having a friend up north.

I'm 21 and not skilled in any trades, something I wish I could have learnt whilst overseas, but I'm working as a trade assistant. Schedule is pretty much week on week off doing shutdowns on BHP sites in Port Hedland. Could be 2 days work, could be 5 so things can get boring very quickly back home. I've been persistant about find work and since I've got a foot in the door it's helped me find more T/A work in Perth and up North. I typically fly out on sundays, work could be monday through thursday or friday and fly back either that day or the next with 8 hours stand down pay if we work night shift and have a flight later that day.

As for getting in, it was thanks to a friend but if you're looking for entry level work, t/a is a good start. I've got the following tickets:
Working at Heights
Entry to Confined Space
BHPBIO

Another consideration on top of these tickets would be scaffolding. There's always a need for scaffies up north and it's a great way to get your foot in the door.

There's plenty of recruiting companies out there looking for workers and if you've got an extra $400-600 it's worth getting at least confined space and working at heights for t/a work. It's pretty easy, but once work starts, it's pretty much on until you complete the task. Could be 2 hours, could be 12.

Companies i'd consider looking at are smithsrecruitment, pps and lend lease. They do local and some mining work, but a foot in the door can mean a world of difference between finding a job and upskilling to better positions.
XR8T3D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #974
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69baldy
I'm earning 90k working as a shift worker in the dairy industry in Victoria.My wife has family in Western Australia (Perth and Kununurra)and is busting my balls about moving over west.What would be a starting wage for a clean skin?my age is 43 we have 4 kids one has left the nest so three little one's to cart around with us am i too old?are mining towns okay for kids?.Kalgoorlie seem's an okay place for a family does anyone on this forum work in the mines around Kalgoorlie and if so what's it like? sorry for the epic cheers.
From what I've seen 40 bucks an hour for clean skins. you're never too old. there's plenty of young, middle aged and older guys working up north so you'd fit right in.
Old 25-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #975
gtfpv
GT

i gotta say i do see a little humor here , ive never worked in a mine and got a phone call from perth , i live in sydney telling me i have a job there for $3k per week for 12 months ( on the condition that i move there ) and after 12 months get the punt with a 5k bonus if i last the 12 months , above ground and not in a mine , but associated . also told that after 12 months no doubt further copntracts would come along . i knocked the job back as my sydney job isnt too far behind that , and i'm permanent ,and now have 60% of my time off .
please i'm not bragging , i'm also in my mid 40's , but i am laughing a little at people asking how to get in here there are 33 pages in this thread of advice . DO YOU know how many unqualified people are willing ?? most if not all of those people arent wiling after 2 wweeks of hard work and leave hahahahah . i guess i know why its hard to get in . plenty of unskilled people who never went to tafe or uni , suddenly want to do the hard yards , please i'm not against people wanting to work , but geeez this thread has more than covered how to get in , its relatively easy or very hard . depending ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #976
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69baldy
Hi there, I'm in kal making similar money doing shift work, unless the ball busting gets to much to handle I'd stay where you are, housing and living expenses here are heaps more than Victoria, if I was making 90K a year in Vic without busting my *** I'd still be there but instead of leaving home at 5 and home at 7pm 6 days a week I'm happy making the same coin on a 7 and 7 roster
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #977
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Yeah there's plenty of guys up here who spend a couple weeks to a few months for the quick cash then bail because it's too hard for them or their families; a large reason why a lot of the contractors no longer supply brand new shirts or give you new helmets to keep if you're casual.

It's hard to get in because people are setting their sights too high, have no experience and are giving up a couple weeks into searching or even worse, working. Lower your expectations and even your desired position and you will make the chance at landing a job easier. Befriend someone in the industry or else you literally will have to hassle and annoy the recruiting companies to show them you're keen for work.

Once you're in, you're in. Nearly everyone wants to be a dump truck driver but you're most likely not going to get there without doing some of the hard work first, expect 6 months to a year if not longer once you've got a job and proven yourself to even be considered for an operator position in the mines. Even with your HR license and dump truck training course you will find it difficult for work until you've got any experience. T/A or scaffolding will give you experience. Make friends with your supervisor, even if you don't want to, request for stay after your FIFO buddies leave to pick up extra work if it's available.
Old 25-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #978
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I haven't read all the posts here, havent even scratched the surface, so if this has been said before I apologise.

Anyway in my experience in the mining game, which has been on and off since 97, your best chance of getting a start is at a smaller operation or in a mundane position. Once you have your foot in, if it is a crap job you can let them know of your capabilities and upskill, or if it is a small operation once you have some time under your hat and can be classed as "experienced" and "competent" then apply for the role you want at which ever mine you want. I know a lot of the smaller mines that aren't paying "big dollars", don't get me wrong they are better than city dollars, will take on green workers where ase the high paying mines are all about experience and unless you have some they won't even look at you.

I know every one wants to be in the mines for the money but at times it really isn't all it is cracked up to be, hence the on and off in my case. Longs times away from your wife and kids is one of the biggest hurdles and honestly no amount of money replaces missing your kids mildstones. I would almost pay anything to see some of what I have missed but as they say "**** happens"
But on the other hand I'm on a great, family orientated roster now, 7 on 7 off, and see my family a great deal more than I would working 5 days a week.
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #979
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What would you do as a trade assistant? Just general labour work?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #980
El Caco
Steve

It can vary, a t/a might be a spotter on a boring day and generally will assist a tradesman to do his job but on some sites a T/A can do a lot more and actually develop skills. In a maintenance role it isn't uncommon for a T/A to do a lot of Fitting.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #981
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caco
It can vary, a t/a might be a spotter on a boring day and generally will assist a tradesman to do his job but on some sites a T/A can do a lot more and actually develop skills. In a maintenance role it isn't uncommon for a T/A to do a lot of Fitting.
TOO TRUE . one thing to consider when being a TA is aptitude , there is a little skill , safety , and common sense involved . TA's can be put at risk at the incompetency of some tradesmen , so on that basis being a ta is at the mercy of others , unless the ta has some safety and mechanical electrical awareness and lifting rigging knowledge as well .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #982
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

If a TA were to ever feel unqualified, unsafe or unaware of the job/task at hand they are more than welcome to ask a question, ask for help, tell the skilled tradesman or supervisor they don't know how to do it and ask for them to show how and in a safe manner or say no they don't know how to do the job or aren't qualified to do it. Never be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. It could save your job and even your life as well as that of your coworkers.

T/A work will depend on which team your with for the day/night and what you're qualified to do. It could be odd jobs collecting scaffolding materials, carrying the scaffies tools or equipment from the truck/ute to the job area, setting up scaffolding with their guidance.

It can also be mechanical like working on bucket wheel reclaimers or chute repairs and or roller work. You could be driving the ute to pick up parts and drop them off, general housekeeping duties, using rattle guns, grinders, setting up oxy welders/cutters, fitting teeth, knocking out pins, knocking out plates and replacing with new ones then back to house keeping duties.

You're only limited as a T/A to what tickets you do and don't have. Confined Space, Working at Heights are the basics. EWP, Forklift and Rigging are great tickets to add to your resume and pick up extra work.

Some workers can abuse the role of a t/a by having them fetch any and everything in multiple trips instead of asking for a list of items and having them bring up as much as they can in a safe manner. They slow down the job and run the T/A ragged. T/A's are there to assist, learn and make the job easier, not be a personal slave. There's a point where a t/a is there to learn/help vs. you being lazy and doing f/all for your own personal benefit.

It helps to work together as a team, we all get out of the job at the same time so if we can as a team efficiently, correctly and most importantly safely complete the work to the supervisors standards we can head back to the cribber and enjoy some down time.
Old 27-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #983
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is a greenhand/cleanskin ??? and what are some of the smaller mining companies that may make life easier when gaining employment im in perth by the way.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #984
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
what is a greenhand/cleanskin ??? and what are some of the smaller mining companies that may make life easier when gaining employment im in perth by the way.
Someone new to the industry, no prior experience I assume.

You're going to want to contact the local recruiting companies and contractors. Use seek, gumtree etc. search for the position you're looking for, WA Regional and Perth have worked for me, without any prior experience you're in for a tough ride.

I recommend getting started at the bottom even if you're qualified and especially if you're qualified, been looking for work and can't get it. Getting started as a T/A is the way to go for a foot in the door. Only requires a couple tickets, <$600, few days of your time and you're setting yourself up for potential employment and you can still use your qualifications on the job.
Old 27-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #985
DRPXR6
Uted

Thumbs up Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8T3D

You're only limited as a T/A to what tickets you do and don't have. Confined Space, Working at Heights are the basics. EWP, Forklift and Rigging are great tickets to add to your resume and pick up extra work.
now we're getting somewhere, i think ive picked up more info in the last 2 pages than the whole other 31. so obviously a T/A does exactly what the title is. any one know if there are any courses to help get an advantage over others for the position, like white card, WP ticket etc? sorry just seen it sorry. but are there any others?

Adelaide / Adelaide Hills
www.dpurdiephoto.com

Neo 07 BF mkii Ripcurl XR6 ute
K&N pannel filter - XR8 upper & F6 lower intakes - Terry pipe - 3 peice hard top -ASL iPhone Charging Auxiliary Booster/Line Conditioner

*R.I.P Vixen manual 06 BF XR6 UTE*
19' DARK AGENTS - 3 peice hard top - TWIN EXHAUST + more
DRPXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #986
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPXR6
now we're getting somewhere, i think ive picked up more info in the last 2 pages than the whole other 31. so obviously a T/A does exactly what the title is. any one know if there are any courses to help get an advantage over others for the position, like white card, WP ticket etc? sorry just seen it sorry. but are there any others?

For a shot at getting the job , taking initiative and showing them you're keen:
Working at Heights
Confined Space
Western Australian Iron Ire Inductions (WAIO) through BHP or RioTinto, even better, both. You'll do more when you get to site most likely. I spent an extra hour doing Port Inductions the day I got to site.
White Card (only some companies require this)

For an advantage:
Forklift
Elevated Work Platform (EWP)
Advanced Scaffolding Ticket (probably easiest job of the lot once you get it)
Rigging/Dogging (probably the most advantageous of the 3 for future work)

I hear RioTinto is in need of 6,000 skilled workers in the next four months and I am sure room for unskilled will be made.

May is going to be huge for shutdown work. I know of 3, 7 and a supposed 19 day shutdown. I'm heading up from Monday-Friday this next week, home for a couple days and heading back up again for another week stint for some extra coin and experience.

Once I got a job as a T/A and started applying regularly on seek. I've had 4-5 offers of employment in the last week alone, 2 of which I am taking up on their offers. One is regular shutdown work and the second is local T/A work when I want to come home every night and see the misses and family.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by XR8T3D; 27-04-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #987
El Caco
Steve

I can't speak for SA and every employer is going to be looking for different things.

In Qld getting into a T/A position is getting harder. I work for a business that has it's own maintenance contract with one mine and sends us out through a larger company to a few other mines. What I have seen over the last year is less demand for T/A's and it is getting harder for T/A's to get a position as well as employed T/A's getting less work. So much that I'm pretty sure they have been sending out T/A's but saying they are Tradesmen.

What I know is up here at the moment it helps if you have mechanical or trade experience, the best T/A is a tradesman and some Tradesmen even apply for T/A positions because it is a small pay cut for far less responsibility.

As far as improving your chances it has pretty much been covered in the thread, for Coal a Generic is a must, senior first aid and all the tickets in the quote except for Forklift will be a massive advantage however...

I haven't really seen it stressed but your approach is vital. There are certain mines that will give almost anyone a go but you must be local for those. You may have heard you need to be willing to go where the work is, that comment doesn't really stress it, you need to get up and go to where the work is. Another approach is to find a company that needs workers and show them you want the job, when I was trying to get my current job I kept on hounding them, I was told that is why I got the job. I was later told my work ethic is what cemented my position, the phrase used was "I worked like a black fella" (their words) but I would sum up my attitude as "an honest days work" and "work every day like it is your first day on the job".

Another bit of advice for skilled workers who may not have the tickets the employers are looking for. The employers are really looking for the skills, can you weld? RPL (recognition of prior learning) is a way you might be able to get the tickets you need, the skills of many trades can be used to help you get a new qualification, mechanics can work as Fitters or Diesel fitters or in some places get a start based on their current skills and get trained up by the mine to get their qualification.

If you are over 25 a mature aged apprenticeship can get you in, mines will start advertising their positions for next year shortly but if you have over 40% of related experience to a trade you are interested in there are positions advertised right now for advance entry adult apprenticeships that can see you get a qualification in as little as 18 months depending on your skills and you start on very good pay.

But keep in mind all the advice given in this thread, mine work isn't for everyone and there are different types of mine work with different rosters each with their own set of pros and cons that will appeal to different people. A lot of people spend a lot of money to get in only to find very quickly it isn't for them and give up just as quick. I personally couldn't work a long/short roster where you are away from your family for weeks and back home for just days but that is where the big bucks are. I'm happy to settle for less money that is more family friendly and gives me more free time.
Old 28-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #988
v gate

sorry bud but if anyone shows up with an advanced scaff/riggers ticket then he better be an advanced. i would rather them send them home then hope that no one gets splattered. its not called a high risk licence for nothing
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #989
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lols.. there is plenty of bs tradesmen.. with bs resumes and bs referees...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #990
El Caco
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by v gate
sorry bud but if anyone shows up with an advanced scaff/riggers ticket then he better be an advanced. i would rather them send them home then hope that no one gets splattered. its not called a high risk licence for nothing
Yes I have to agree with that statement. As far as riggers go you need to be competent and in regard to Scaffs I honestly don't think it is an easy job. I can see how some guys would think it is easy and I think it depends on the person but an easy job to me is one that either requires little physical effort or is one that anyone can do. Moving the scaff, climbing, disassembling and assembling the scaffolding can take a lot of physical effort and not everyone can monkey out off nothing at great heights and have the co-ordination to catch a clamp while they are hanging out like a monkey at those heights.

The best tickets after your standard things like generic induction, senior first aid are Confined space, Working at heights and then EWP can be a good one to have but not all places accept it, on some sites you will need to prove you are competent first. Forklift is a high risk licence that most mines will not accept on it's own and you do not need a civilian Forklift ticket to drive a Forklift on many site, when it come to driving a Forklift, light vehicle or heavy vehicle you will need to be assessed and passed out on each site that you work.

There is another (very boring) position that is an unskilled position that is not usually found on surface mine sites but in similar high paying industries and I'm guessing underground mines that requires little else than a confined spaces ticket. A hole watcher is a person who monitors entry to a confined space, often it requires little else than standing at an entry point and making sure every person who is going in has authority to enter, signs on to the register and signs off when they come out. I have never worked on a site that has a hole watcher but I have been told by other Tradesmen about the job when discussing positions for spouses. Perhaps someone else who knows more about the position can comment.