Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #91
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a good idea....
i take my car out to WB give it a good thrashing see what it dose as it curently stands.(with 2.5 system)
some kind person shouts me a nice new 3 inch cat back and i go back and have some more fun and see what that dose ....
Old 02-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #92
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ill be in that.
If you want to swap them over out there or whatever, Ill let you use mine
Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #93
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this test would only work if the items are in the same condtion, new would be best, same brands of cats and mufflers, and same layout. In reality ir would cost a consumer around $2k to give a difinative answer as to which is best overall, and then the condition of the car, work done to the engine, are other things to factor in.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #94
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Ill tell you what.I still have my 2.5 inch xorst.I will get it flanged to bolt up to the existing setup which effectively chokes the system.I will then bolt up the 3 inch and post what happens on the same night.

But then again why convince people and then they go faster than me?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #95
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

You are all right.Dont do a 3 inch ..It will kill power and slow you down.You have to use Einsteins theories to get the exhaust right and pay megabucks to experts who run AU sixes at the track regularly. ..blah blah blah....heheh : :

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #96
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This argument will never be resolved, as your not going to find an exhaust shop willing to outlay a chunk of they're profits to provide the R&D to give an overall answer. You can do as many back yard tests as you like but it wint give a true result. I need a new exhaust, and I will be getting either a 3" or 3.5" system, afterwards I could claim mass improvements, but given the condition of my current system, these claims would be crap.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #97
Stav
Smile

Not trying to get religious here but Jesus said .."you can hear but do you listen? You have eyes but can you see? Remove the beam from your eyes so you can see." I suppose not much has changed on that point in 2007 years so I am not going to try.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #98
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never said in any of my post that one option is better then the other, as the truth is I don't know, but at least I can say that unlike almost every other person that has made a post in this thread. Both sides of the argument are moronic at best, I have a 2.5" and it works so it must be the best option, I have a 3" system that works for me so IT must be the best option.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #99
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we realy need some hardcore proof .
i'm all for the 3 inch as in the way it sounds...ooooh yeah!!
but i'm not totaly convinced it works / dosen't.
the quickest au i6 to date acording to these forums ran a 2.5 zorst.
the quickest car running a 3 inch is stav ,his is a totaly different piece of kit compared to tripowers xr6.
monty's fairmont was the closest we got to a decent comparison ,but in all fairness he fitted headers along with the 3 inch.(josh i think we'l have to try this exhaust experiment,i can't gaurentee you'l get it back though)
the only other proof we have is me and stiddy
stiddy has run a 14.916 @ 92.27 with a stock xr6 with 3 inch intake and 3 inch cat back (3.45 diff gears) corect me if i'm wrong mate .
i have run a 14.834 @ 93.34.with....
a serise's 1 xr6 moror in au 2 runining the standard ecu with pacey 4480 headers ,3 inch cat and 2.5 zorst and 3.9 diff gears.along with the jmm cai.
again 2 completly different setups .
no one can realy argue for or against as we realy don't have a direct comparison.
maybe one of the forum sponsors (that have a bit more cash to play with than us average joe blo's)could do a comparison on a dyno before and a after results as in the same day.it would be a good way to advertise your product_2:
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #100
The Monty
Just slidin'

I agree Jake. But along with a Dyno result, a quick three runs of each at the drags would be good as well.
I have no doubt that a three inch on a STOCK AU would probably be not so good.
But there arent many of us on here that have stock AU's anymore.
I did also get extractors along with the three inch, Pacie comps (4480's), I was in no way trying to trick people, I just didnt think to add it in.
We do need a comparison done, there is no doubt about it.
We cant say for sure that it is a BETTER option than a 2.5 inch (I know I was saying that it is, but thats my opinion, there is no hard proof out there), but it is no way detrimental to the Au i6.
As for the money factor, it may be a factor for most, only reason I went 3 inch was I bought it when I bought my turbo gear, but sold the turbo gear off, and though stuff it, Im still using that zorst.
Now again looking at the supercharger kit for the future, Ill need it anyway, so Im sticking with it, but it doesnt sound as good as the Lukey 2.5 incher, that thing was the nicest sound ever.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #101
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
I never said in any of my post that one option is better then the other, as the truth is I don't know, but at least I can say that unlike almost every other person that has made a post in this thread. Both sides of the argument are moronic at best, I have a 2.5" and it works so it must be the best option, I have a 3" system that works for me so IT must be the best option.
I had both.
So what proof do you need to convince you?

Last edited by Stav; 02-12-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #102
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
I had both.
So what proof do you need to convince you?
For it to be a true comparison, you'd have to have brand new 2.5" & 3" exhausts, both with identical headers, cats and muffler designs, where the only variable is the pipe diameter. As soon as you throw in different brand of mufflers, old vs new exhaust etc., then the comparison becomes less valid.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #103
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
For it to be a true comparison, you'd have to have brand new 2.5" & 3" exhausts, both with identical headers, cats and muffler designs, where the only variable is the pipe diameter. As soon as you throw in different brand of mufflers, old vs new exhaust etc., then the comparison becomes less valid.
What he said Stav, did you have the same brand 3" gear in the same condition as your 2.5" gear fitted? Once again I'm not leaning towards eaither side in this debate, just trying to lend a voice of logic which alot of people are missing. Waht I will do is ask what brand and model headers people with 3" systems are running, as I will out of my own pocket, pay for them to be flow tested stock, and once again with them cut back with a 3" flange fitted. I can't afford to pay to see what system is the best, but am willing to fork out to see if there is an improvment from the headers back.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #104
The Monty
Just slidin'

I think things are getting a little out of hand re, what people want in way of a comparison. How many people here know that even putting a 2.5 inch exhaust on is better than stock? Did you have the car Dyno tested and run at the track when all exhaust components were BRAND NEW, and then have it swapped to a 2.5 inch BRAND NEW exhaust, of FORD brand naming, and have it tested. Some of you people need a reality check.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #105
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I think things are getting a little out of hand re, what people want in way of a comparison. How many people here know that even putting a 2.5 inch exhaust on is better than stock? Did you have the car Dyno tested and run at the track when all exhaust components were BRAND NEW, and then have it swapped to a 2.5 inch BRAND NEW exhaust, of FORD brand naming, and have it tested. Some of you people need a reality check.
I agree 100% with you that the sort of comparison I stated above is not realistically going to happen, however it is the only way to truly know whether there is any gain.

In your case for example, you gained 3 tenths by going from 2.5" to 3" but as you mentioned, you did Pacies at the sametime - 3 tenths could have come from them alone, that's all I'm saying.

Personally, had I not needed my AU to stay quiet, I would've done a 3", like I am shortly on my other car.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #106
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
I have no doubt that a three inch on a STOCK AU would probably be not so good.
Stock over here, like FS5 said, 3inch mandrel bent cat back, 3inch mandrel bent intake, NOTHING ELSE. ran a 14.9 @ 93mph, and 137rwkw.
Now the diff gears are in, gearbox is done, stupid cam is in, extractors and edit when i can be bothered. And when I get my licence back i'll take it down to WSID again.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #107
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
I think things are getting a little out of hand re, what people want in way of a comparison.
Not really, it appears that people just want scientific proof that one is better than the other, or not.
Doesn't seem out of hand to me, I know if I pay more for something I want to be 100% sure that it is a better option. Non scientific examples such as ALL of the ones provided here are not valid.

The ONLY way this could be verified is with a dyno, and 2 systems designed in exactly the same way, except for pipe diameter.

Testing a car on the track for these differences is very difficult, as ambient temps, track temps, fuel type, etc, can all play a large part in ET's. These are all variables which may or may not skew the results.

Only a dyno used on the same day could verify whether there are differences between the 2 systems.

Yes it is a difficult test to set up, but the truth is, this is the only way to truly find out.
Quote:
How many people here know that even putting a 2.5 inch exhaust on is better than stock? Did you have the car Dyno tested and run at the track when all exhaust components were BRAND NEW, and then have it swapped to a 2.5 inch BRAND NEW exhaust, of FORD brand naming, and have it tested. Some of you people need a reality check.
Why a reality check? This is pretty straight forward stuff, a standard Ford system has different design limitations imposed, noise control being the biggy.
Even disregarding the pipe diameter, the Ford system will always make less power than an after market system, simply because of the free-er flowing mufflers (hence, louder).

What many people seem to be unaware of is that muffler design plays a larger part than pipe diameter when talking exhausts.

My personal opinion on the whole 2.5" VS 3" (all other aspects of the system being equal) debate is that a 2.5" system is more appropriate on a street driven car as it is easier to keep noise levels under control. As far as power is concerned, my gut feeling is there is very little to no difference on any 4L I6 under say 160rwkw. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that a 3" is worse under these conditions, however I'm also not saying they're better.

With an engine producing more than 160rwkw, there may be small differences above 5000rpm, and IIRC, there was some proof of a 4kw difference at around the 170rwkw mark going from 2.5" to 3" on a BA I6.
Now 4kw is hardly felt on the road, and IME you need around a 10kw increase for it to be easily noticeable, and then if it's above 5000rpm (which it will be), then it can be argued that it is not used a great deal on the road.

Anyway, some thoughts to ponder, I can honestly say I haven't had any real world experience with a 3" system, and I am most certainly sceptical of any real world merits it may have, however that's my right to be sceptical until proven with some scientific evidence.
Like it or lump it.

Rick.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #108
stiddy
Banned

Everyones entitled to their own opinion, which is fair enough.

Thing I dont understand though, people assume that if you have bigger than a 2.5inch exhaust system that you will only gain power up high, ie above 5000rpm. This isnt the case however, it pulls harder from 2500rpm at any speed in any gear. My car is no exception, everyone with a 3inch exhaust will vouch for it. You gain all throughout the rev range.
You maybe right in saying that you wont need a 3inch exhaust up until and over 160rwkw. But wouldnt you think that a 3inch exhaust would help you get to that 160rwkw easier than a 2.5inch would?
A long time ago, a calculator was posted up online. Calculates the ideal exhaust diameter as per your engine stats, I did all the 4L I6 stats in this calculator and came back with 3.1 inch and in my gut I knew that 3inch would be better suited.

Between myself and the few people on here with 3inch systems, and I will speak for them aswell, when I say that the 3inch is proven, it works, its makes power all through the rev range any speed any gear, it soudns better, it simply is.. just better. (to us)
Many people wont agree but as I said in the start, everyone has their own idea an opinion.

I will always give a +1 vote for a 3inch exhaust.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #109
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had my car dynoed the morning after i fitted an 2 1/2" redback exhaust. It made 211RWHP. After I had my 3" system fitted, I probably drove an extra 100k's with the 3" before it was tuned. Now tuned, it has 226RWHP. Plus I also fitted an BBM, and I was told by many people that I would lost around 5RWHP up top.