Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #91
superyob
Banned

Default Re: WA Hoon Laws - 1 Strike Coming...

There is a lot of defence here for complete and utter morons, based on the smallest imaginable infractions that are likely to happen. The hooning laws won't shrink your ***** guys. Yeah I know, I vote for the government I deserve, I've missed the point etc. etc...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #92
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I'll probably get flamed for this but:

I think the issue here is, does the punishment fit the crime compared to other crimes?

It just seems over kill to label someone a hoon and crush a car for 'not fully stopping at a stop sign' or 'accelerating briskly from a set of lights' if that is what people are being charged for, and on the other hand you see individuals who touch children, do drugs, steal, rape & murder, then get a fine, a short sentence in jail and let back out into society with a so called 'second chance' in life. If anyone needs their car, house, or life crushed it should be those people who actually do harm to others and ruin others lives forever.

Now Im not condoning someone who pulls a burnout, gets out of control and hurts/kills a person should be let off. If that happens, then they should be tarnished like the rest of the filth. But I think it's silly to bring the heavy on someone who perhaps needs to learn better driving skills etc.

My point is, let the punishment fit the crime in terms of every other law out there instead of demonizing an enthusiast mindset to car culture. Not every car enthusiast wants to intimidate others as it's lead to believe. We just love our cars and enjoy driving/listening/seeing them they way we want.

Flame away

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #93
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
There is a lot of defence here for complete and utter morons
nobody's defending them. i'm more concerned by the morons that want to give the police yet more power to hand out penalties that dont fit the severity of the crime.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #94
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
There is a lot of defence here for complete and utter morons, based on the smallest imaginable infractions that are likely to happen. The hooning laws won't shrink your ***** guys. Yeah I know, I vote for the government I deserve, I've missed the point etc. etc...
No one is defending idiotic behaviour by the mouth breathers of society when they get behind the wheel. What the other posters and myself are trying to get across is the unbridled power grab by those that present themselves to the public as the authorities, and more to the point, their push for state sanctioned theft of people's cars. It throws into question the whole concept of property ownership.

If they can legally confiscate one's car, do we really own our little means of transport? Or are we but the modern equivalent of serfs?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #95
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with hoon laws is the laws already existed. It was already illegal to do a burnout before the first hoon laws were drafted.

Almost every state in Australia keeps increasing punishments around hooning. They treble the number of speed cameras, and fines. The death toll stays the same.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #96
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No I am not defending them (as I said throw the book at them) I just dont want you (others) losing your car because its wet and you have stopped on an incline and had a slight slip as you have tried to get going again. I like to think common sense would prevail, however the older I get the less common sense I see. I would like to think no police officer would pull you over for an accidental chirp, or a small amount of wheel spin due to conditions - nor would anyone crush your car for simply forgetting a rego payment - the punishment is too severe (especially compared break and enter, assault etc)

There were/are already laws in place to punish people for doing the wrong thing - problem is the magistrates/judges go soft. So the laws get changed, but now they are less specific and targeting a greater number of drivers and for what purpose?

When I started driving I enjoyed it, less traffic, drivers were more courteous, you could travel at 5k's over the speed limit without even bothering to look or adjust as you went past the police and no one battered an eye lid. These days I don't enjoy driving so much, driving etiquette is poor and skill levels are low.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #97
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread just keeps on keeping on - has any one of the doubters of government here had the thought of trying to get into parliament to try and sought this horrendous problem out.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #98
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr View Post
This thread just keeps on keeping on - has any one of the doubters of government here had the thought of trying to get into parliament to try and sought this horrendous problem out.
Go ask Ricky Muir (AMEP) or anyone in the Liberal Democrats how they've fared...

2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #99
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

WA sucks, now all my regos just went up 100 bucks. So thats another $1500 bucks a year for SFA

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 05:22 AM   #100
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Unhappy Re: WA Hoon Laws - 1 Strike Coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
WA sucks, now all my regos just went up 100 bucks. So thats another $1500 bucks a year for SFA
And when you do get your rego papers look and see if it is another way of taxing (ripping money out of your back pocket) for little projects like road rescue or fire fighting that should be funded by other means
My young bloke got a speeding fine today for less than15 over. $43 of that goes to victims of crime. Now if he was not speeding, then they would be $43 worse off. Is that how we should be funding these programs?

Last edited by olfella; 24-06-2016 at 05:29 AM.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #101
RAPIDBILL
Shaken not Stirred

No need for Hoon laws - reckless and dangerous driving laws and other driving infringements should cover it one would think. Loss of license based on point and the associated revenue should be a deterrent enough to behave on the roads. The vehicle has nothing to do with it, it is the driver that is at fault.

I don't condone Hooning just that it has a higher profile than the responsible driving managed by Road Rules.

Speeding and purposely loosing traction in a built up area is reckless and dangerous and one should suffer the consequences.

My 2 cents.

2005 BA Mk2 GT Rapid
2008 FG GTP Octane

Last edited by RAPIDBILL; 24-06-2016 at 02:17 PM.
RAPIDBILL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #102
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh really?
I'm in the same boat, about 15 vehicles to be registered and when that includes trucks, tractors and headers it will be more like $5000 more a year.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #103
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Be a lot more if you guys were over this side of the desert.
Old 24-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #104
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Oh really?
I'm in the same boat, about 15 vehicles to be registered and when that includes trucks, tractors and headers it will be more like $5000 more a year.
Yeah but not many of mine are tax deductible

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #105
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like this is what is going to take place here soon.

http://jalopnik.com/california-polic...s-a-1782164005
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #106
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
The problem with hoon laws is the laws already existed. It was already illegal to do a burnout before the first hoon laws were drafted.

Almost every state in Australia keeps increasing punishments around hooning. They treble the number of speed cameras, and fines. The death toll stays the same.
No it doesn't -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...tralia_by_year

Even though fatalities have consistently gone down, further analysis would be required to determine what causes it to fall, ie safer cars, safer roads etc and also where these fatalities are happening. If we see most fatalities happening on largely unpatrolled country roads and lower fatalities on heavier patrolled metro areas, on the surface you could say heavy patrolling works but that's not a good enough summation neither.

Death tolls aren't the only measure neither, it would be interesting to see accident stats regardless of outcome and analyse what caused them.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #107
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
No it doesn't -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...tralia_by_year

Even though fatalities have consistently gone down, further analysis would be required to determine what causes it to fall, ie safer cars, safer roads etc and also where these fatalities are happening. If we see most fatalities happening on largely unpatrolled country roads and lower fatalities on heavier patrolled metro areas, on the surface you could say heavy patrolling works but that's not a good enough summation neither.

Death tolls aren't the only measure neither, it would be interesting to see accident stats regardless of outcome and analyse what caused them.
If the road toll keeps rising at the pace it has all year, 2016 is on track to be the worst in several years. This is despite the near saturation deployment of speed cameras and the average age of the Australian fleet of cars being the youngest ever. Yet the various govcos will fund research into what has caused the increase in road fatalities (at a cost of millions no doubt) to come to the conclusion that many on the road already know due to daily experience; and that is the cause is the increase in low quality drivers (both new drivers and existing).

2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #108
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And low quality roads.

You should see the crap I have to drive on...and share with 180t road trains.

Govco wonders why the country road toll is high, maybe they should come out here and attempt to drive on them. They now want to split my mates farm in half so they can run 62m road trains through here. Bloody fools.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #109
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Oh yeah. But still no better anywhere else. Been pricing up rego and insurance (as not included in rego like in WA)in Syd as going to move back and it still comes in about the same amount (with the increase that is).

However, i wont be anywhere near as scared to drive back home as i am here.

Hidden cameras anywhere and everywhere. Cops and Federal coppers with chips on their shoulders. Constantly changing speed limits. Tonnes of roadworks with low speed signs excessivley far away. No wonder there is no car culture here. Anyone with a car is a crimminal.

Including the do gooders that never do no wrong, who i hope cops everything the laws they wanted so much throws at them when they do eventually slip up.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #110
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Oh yeah. But still no better anywhere else. Been pricing up rego and insurance (as not included in rego like in WA)in Syd as going to move back and it still comes in about the same amount (with the increase that is).

However, i wont be anywhere near as scared to drive back home as i am here.

Hidden cameras anywhere and everywhere. Cops and Federal coppers with chips on their shoulders. Constantly changing speed limits. Tonnes of roadworks with low speed signs excessivley far away. No wonder there is no car culture here. Anyone with a car is a crimminal.

Including the do gooders that never do no wrong, who i hope cops everything the laws they wanted so much throws at them when they do eventually slip up.
Anyone with a vehicle is fair game to the so called laws, here why do they have the speed sign so far out of town like when your driving out and there is nothing, no house drive ways at all. and like you say miles of so called road works signs and no one about or a problem to be seen, just so some sod can sit about with the modern speed camera nabbing people for just rubbish and most cops I know don't like such being done at all, because they get nabbed too and all you know.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #111
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember some newspaper report from years ago about hoons. They had a part which said "What is a hoon?" It had the usual things like street racing, burnouts and so on. But the most unusual one was something like "Driving a vehicle around slowly to exhibit it to a crowd"
Yep, you should lose your car from that sort of reckless behavior
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post