Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #91
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Future classics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3fairmontwagon View Post

I have an 6cyl AUIII Fairmont Wagon bought new..

Do you guys think it's worth keeping?
Yes. Absolutely.
Our AU wagon was part of the fam and I wish I kept it....we just didnt have the space. Regrets.
And it was not a III, it was not a Fairmont (except for the grille change), and we didnt own it from new.
Just 1 opinion, but your wagon looks great. We've moved on to Territorys now, first an 06 and now the better SZ, but its not the same.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2022, 10:36 PM   #92
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
I've owned an XD Ghia with 302 and EA factory 5 speed manual Ghia. At the time thought not much of their value as there were a few around. Now becoming quite valuable (wish I kept).

EF-EL XRs are holding their value and even the XH series are becoming scarce plus demanding a higher price.
i missed out on a manual Ghia a few years back as i was outbid on upay.

did also have a EA 'S' 3 speed auto ... wish i'd kept that too ..... and a CJ 360 cough cough
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 05:25 AM   #93
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren290 View Post
And unlike America, Australia is also unique in that our muscle cars weren't always V8... Australia may have started with the XM Super Pursuit/Cortina
I’d say the difference between both countries is not that 6cyls weren’t available in the US, as there were plenty of similarly specced cars, but in the US those smaller cars with smaller engines, yet similar styling just weren’t considered to be “muscle cars” in comparison to something like a Chevelle 454 SS.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #94
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its amazing how time changes your perception of cars ,yesterday i saw the very first Bluebird the round shaped ones it was original with mags ...it looked really cool....i used to hate them

When i was a young kid (early 70's) we had a Singer Vogue (the Hillman Minx shape) thought it was a bit ugly , man i would love one as a project

In NZ Cortinas were common as dirt now if you see one (any model) turns my head a Mustang would stop you dead in your tracks to look ....now its the complete reverse

Ive got a bit of a dilemma with my AU11 Fairmont Ghia hardly gets used ,i should really sell it ....but i just love it , its so cruzy with the torque it has in my sig it goes really well ....really annoys LS Commodores , its not valuing like an xr8 because of its perceived lack of grunt (175kw) , not sure wether its worth keeping over here they go for 10-14 k who knows in time what will happen ?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #95
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I’m amazed at the price difference between any FG Falcon and an FG-X.
I see FG Falcons selling for next to nothing at $3,000-7,000.
But FG-X’s are going for $30,000+.
Mechanically they are the same car. It’s largely just a cosmetic update.
So I think currently a neat FG is good buying if you can find one.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #96
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3fairmontwagon View Post
Gday & Happy New Year.

I have an 6cyl AUIII Fairmont Wagon bought new in December 2001 optioned with Tickford Sports Suspension & 17" Wheels/Tyres (4Y), Momo Steering Wheel & Momo T-Bar shifter (6M), 1600kg Tow Pack (81), dealer fitted Parnell LPG system & window tint. Has the Tickford plate installed on driver's side in engine bay.

Have a verification letter from Ford stating it is a 1 of 1. There are 93 cars with same Barossa Red paint & 45 with same trim but nil other cars with same options. Have all purchase documents, books etc from new.

Now has nearly 400,000km on odometer still on original transmission serviced only twice, original suspension/wheels still very tight with no body roll, original diff etc. Needed engine at 360,000km as was run primarily on LPG. Mostly highway km's & still runs & looks great.

Do you guys think it's worth keeping?
Not really with those sort of km’s. Once they get to that point there really isn’t a hell of a lot of life left in them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #97
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Age and kms the biggest factor in that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #98
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Picked up my one recently for $4k, country car with 303k on it with rego till August.
Had been in one family for most of its life and serviced by a family mechanic, drives as good as a car with half the kays, trans is smooth, no leaks anywhere.
All it needed was headlights restored, a drivers seat foam, steel base was still ok,. Picked up a mint passenger side foam for $10 which obviously has less use and are interchangeable.
Also needed the drivers seat side plastic and power mirror/window master switch which i picked up both new for under $100.
Gave the whole trim a shampoo with the vax whilst the seats were out.

Bought it as a work hack and to keep kays off Ranger, only driven it a handful of times as I cant keep my Wife out of it, prefers it to the Ranger.
K's mean bugger all if its been looked after, especially right now in the sub $10k price range, personally I'd take an FG with 300k's over a BA/F with 200k's for the same money.

Could sell it today for amost double.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2022, 03:39 PM   #99
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Dearest FGX (base model) on car sales is 23k.
You'll only be buying an XT for the 3-7k range. (you said any FG/FGX)
Thing is theres a big void really between a base model and a G6E/T ie not much in between.
Theres a lot of FG XR6T/G6ET for sale well north of 30k, whether they sell or not thats another thing. I do know of one MKII G6ET that sold here for over 40k. It was a well kept example and low kms also.
I wouldnt want to be in the market for one of the above, theres mot a heap to choose from.
I remember when you'd search falcons on car sales, there'd be thousands.
Less than 1k now

Also the newest FGX is almost 6 years newer than the oldest FG.
I do agree re they are pretty much the same cosmetics aside.

I think G6ET's will be another VL Calais value wise, not straight away but later on.
Dunno about FG XR6T though.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by DJM83; 02-01-2022 at 03:44 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #100
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
Some may laugh but the little Ford in my Avatar picture... remember its one of the lowest number production fords sold by Ford Australia(only 140... )they were a good little quality car and very much fun to drive.
True and very few of those still (I think it's closer to 125) exist today. Those who know about MkI Focus know their strengths. Only time will tell as they were on the Australian market from 2002 to 2004.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post