Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #91
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: EV policy by federal government and the states

The part I love is that we had nuclear weapons testing in South Australia courtesy of the British and France did nuclear weapons testing in our backyard but for some reason we're against having nuclear power because of its waste product?

Plenty of unused coastline in Australia, a whole lot of barren useless land where you can dump the waste and we also have uranium mines and 40% of the world's uranium.

You want to move away from coal and gas, so put nuclear on the table, everyone else uses it.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...09-p597jl.html

Perfect opportunity now we've got submarines coming.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #92
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After seeing the government bring in the home insulation scheme and the nbn, do we really want them messing with nuclear power and its waste products
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #93
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The part I love is that we had nuclear weapons testing in South Australia courtesy of the British and France did nuclear weapons testing in our backyard but for some reason we're against having nuclear power because of its waste product?

Plenty of unused coastline in Australia, a whole lot of barren useless land where you can dump the waste and we also have uranium mines and 40% of the world's uranium.

You want to move away from coal and gas, so put nuclear on the table, everyone else uses it.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...09-p597jl.html

Perfect opportunity now we've got submarines coming.
we don't need coastline, why power station are on the coast is mind boggling..

self contained setup has been around for well over a hundred years, RE: steam trains, self contained with a large tap..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #94
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we could all have hydrogen vehicles and make our fuel at home
https://youtu.be/RY08xO-_11w

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #95
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
What about nuclear? We have a ****load of uranium, its a clean energy source and we have a lot of barren wasteland to dispose of its waste in.

i hope you were having a 'few' drinks then ........... coz that is one of the most stupidest ideas re put it in a hole out woop woop. what happens to any groundwater there?
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #96
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here's an idea, pay for your own electric car

EV subsidies are middle class welfare, why should you get a discount on your Tesla?

Tell you what though this COP26 thing, made my hydrogen shares increase 15-30% day on day consecutively, I'm up 235% in about a week.
100% Spot on !!

Notwithstanding the smug and sanctimonious ideological preaching of the radical Green Left, the only reason the market adopt Green Cars & Energy (solar Panels etc) is through the discriminatory and fundamentally unfair application of heavy Government Financial Incentives - resulting in a serious Market Distortion. They then hypocritically spin this contrived distortion, and say "look - see how much support and popularity Green products have....."

The fact is that EV cars have numerous and huge negatives (no pun intended) - including far greater energy intensive construction (ironically), higher use of rare & highly Toxic metals (Battery) et al. and are manifestly unsuited to the REALITIES of Australia.

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 11-12-2021 at 08:28 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #97
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
i hope you were having a 'few' drinks then ........... coz that is one of the most stupidest ideas re put it in a hole out woop woop. what happens to any groundwater there?
There's groundwater in the middle of nowhere Australia?

We've got a massive country where the vast majority of our population lives on the coast, we've got plenty of room to store nuclear waste where it won't effect anyone regardless of what environmental damage it causes.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #98
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We've got a massive country where the vast majority of our population lives on the coast, we've got plenty of room to store nuclear waste where it won't effect anyone regardless of what environmental damage it causes.
We do have artesian basins, but they aren't all over the continent.

I'm with you Franco, nuclear makes more sense than not.

All of the larger developed countries use it & we have heaps of uranium.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #99
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
100% Spot on !!

Notwithstanding the smug and sanctimonious ideological preaching of the radical Green Left, the only reason the market adopt Green Cars & Energy (solar Panels etc) is through the discriminatory and fundamentally unfair application of heavy Government Financial Incentives - resulting in a serious Market Distortion. They then hypocritically spin this contrived distortion, and say "look - see how much support and popularity Green products have....."

The fact is that EV cars have numerous and huge negatives (no pun intended) - including far greater energy intensive construction (ironically), higher use of rare & highly Toxic metals (Battery) et al. and are manifestly unsuited to the REALITIES of Australia.
Try telling that to any EV owner!That would not go down well @ all.Did you not know that they are ‘saving’ the planet!They all so sleep better @ night because it gives them that ‘warm & fuzzy’ feeling!
Old 12-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #100
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
We do have artesian basins, but they aren't all over the continent.

I'm with you Franco, nuclear makes more sense than not.

All of the larger developed countries use it & we have heaps of uranium.

Dr Terry
Also a lot of disused uranium mines (that no one goes near) for waste storage.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #101
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be happy with 10c /kw per USA, better then 34c kW...

But the USA do tend to do whats best for the nation, something I"m not sure the british governance system has worked out...

Went to SA GovCo info session regarding the planned underground nuclear waste depository, given the half life and all that. They claim some of the most stable land on the planet,
Looking up govco database still shows 1100+ sesimic events in the last decade

https://earthquakes.ga.gov.au/

so I'll wait for nuclear fusion thank you very much
Even more so now solar is worth 1-3c Kw at the consumer end. Had a chance to do it properly, entice more solar and work base load with battery+ wind, but profit comes first....

Musk might crack the nuclear fusion chestnut in a few years the way he's progressed science commercially, so fingers crossed....

Personally I think if they stick with nuclear fission, they should do a sub salt-water solution (just got to get over the corrosion issues) when looking at the gen 4 alternatives.

Would have saved Fukishima + unlimited cooling.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #102
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It was not a stupid comment at all. It has been suggested by leading minds many times in the past. Their idea was to build concrete storage bunkers underground for it. Extremely low risk.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #103
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It was not a stupid comment at all. It has been suggested by leading minds many times in the past. Their idea was to build concrete storage bunkers underground for it. Extremely low risk.
Well thats exactly whats happening in South Australia. One of the pollies wasn't happy, they chose another site near the land (farm) he'd purchased...

No surprise there though, it's the same reason the Ford body plant was a good 75km from the assembly plant.

What surprised me was the location of the ship unloading.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...imba/100657832
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #104
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:

i'm not against using it ...... just against 'dumping' it.

was told that the "thorium" reactors are better/safer. but then again .. CCP is now trialling 'salt' cooled reactors?.

Bossxr8 - what you have said/mentioned is totally different to what Franco put up.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #105
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wrong, already happened approx 30 years ago in woop woop as there's a big deep hole going down to middle earth between Southern Cross and Coolgardie at Mt Walton East in WA that was established by the then WA Public Health Department to dispose of WA's very naughty waste INCLUDING low level radioactive material.

It's in a super stable ground environment and waste is put in very solid fully sealed drums and lowered down to the middle earth hobbits to lock away. It's managed so well that there's now talk it could be opened up for other States similar waste.

There's bucket loads of areas in Oz suitable for nuclear waste storage and we need to stop building those disgusting visual pollution wind and solar farms and move with the rest of the world to small stand alone nuclear reactors.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2021, 08:59 PM   #106
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
i'm not against using it ...... just against 'dumping' it.

was told that the "thorium" reactors are better/safer. but then again .. CCP is now trialling 'salt' cooled reactors?.

Bossxr8 - what you have said/mentioned is totally different to what Franco put up.

Thorium reactor researched was stopped in the 60's. The primary reason for stopping? They are TOO safe if built - they have no byproduct that can make bombs (Plutonium and such). An interesting read if you search or if you believe what you find when you search.
Toiler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #107
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle
100% Spot on !!

Eh? We had no incentives in Australia for EV's till a month ago.

I think you might want to research into Fossil Fuel subsidies in Australia. Would you like for Petrol/Diesel to be priced at exactly what they should be without Subsidies as well then? What about the years of Subsidies that we got on Ford and Holden locally? Think you'll find that EV's aren't getting much subsidies in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Try telling that to any EV owner!That would not go down well @ all.Did you not know that they are ‘saving’ the planet!They all so sleep better @ night because it gives them that ‘warm & fuzzy’ feeling!
Love sweeping statements. I couldn't give a rats about the Saving the Planet angle. I want a stupidly fast car that costs a few cents to run! I don't want to keep sending money to the Middle East to fund their questionable regimes. We sleep better at night not having to pay $2 a litre for 98!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #108
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Eh? We had no incentives in Australia for EV's till a month ago.

I think you might want to research into Fossil Fuel subsidies in Australia. Would you like for Petrol/Diesel to be priced at exactly what they should be without Subsidies as well then? What about the years of Subsidies that we got on Ford and Holden locally? Think you'll find that EV's aren't getting much subsidies in this country.

Love sweeping statements. I couldn't give a rats about the Saving the Planet angle. I want a stupidly fast car that costs a few cents to run! I don't want to keep sending money to the Middle East to fund their questionable regimes. We sleep better at night not having to pay $2 a litre for 98!
I ‘Love sweeping statements too’!Hydrogen is the way to go.Not these stupidly overpriced EVs.Don’t forget,you are charging from coal fired power stations!How good is that!
Old 13-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #109
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I ‘Love sweeping statements too’!Hydrogen is the way to go.Not these stupidly overpriced EVs.Don’t forget,you are charging from coal fired power stations!How good is that!
Again, I don't care! It's Aussie coal anyway. I don't care for the "Green" angle. Name a 4 door, 5 seater car that can do 0-100 in less than 3.5 seconds and a quarter mile in 11.5 seconds for under $95 k all whilst costing $1.10 per/100 (using the grid solely)? Go on, I'll wait.

To be fair, we have solar so it's mostly "free" anyway.

You can keep your hydrogen. I don't want to pay for fuel anymore. If you enjoy being at the mercy of those companies, knock yourself out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 13-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #110
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Again, I don't care! It's Aussie coal anyway. I don't care for the "Green" angle. Name a 4 door, 5 seater car that can do 0-100 in less than 3.5 seconds and a quarter mile in 11.5 seconds for under $95 k all whilst costing $1.10 per/100 (using the grid solely)? Go on, I'll wait.

To be fair, we have solar so it's mostly "free" anyway.

You can keep your hydrogen. I don't want to pay for fuel anymore. If you enjoy being at the mercy of those companies, knock yourself out.

I also have solar,so power prices are no issue for me.But the majority of people who purchase the things,& think they are ‘helping OR saving’ the planet,could not be more further from the truth(just plain fact.)They make little or no difference in the scheme of things.Eventually governments will introduce more taxes on them.Enjoy it while you can,because things will change,it is just the way it is.As far as fuel prices go,could not care less,does not impact me that much anyway.
Old 13-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #111
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
I also have solar,so power prices are no issue for me.But the majority of people who purchase the things,& think they are ‘helping OR saving’ the planet,could not be more further from the truth(just plain fact.)They make little or no difference in the scheme of things.Eventually governments will introduce more taxes on them.Enjoy it while you can,because things will change,it is just the way it is.As far as fuel prices go,could not care less,does not impact me that much anyway.
Not entirely true, especially as we thankfully close more of our coal stations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/26/life...perts-say.html
Old 13-12-2021, 11:31 AM   #112
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Not entirely true, especially as we thankfully close more of our coal stations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/26/life...perts-say.html
Yes you are correct,but,as I alluded to.EVs will get more tax lumped on them eventually,to a point that who could be bothered owning one.They are in their infancy @ the moment.Things will change as they always do.I have no issue with them,but do not think it is the way of the future.
Old 13-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #113
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Yes you are correct,but,as I alluded to.EVs will get more tax lumped on them eventually,to a point that who could be bothered owning one.They are in their infancy @ the moment.Things will change as they always do.I have no issue with them,but do not think it is the way of the future.
We will just have to wait and see what the "future" holds, as technology evolves.
Right now it looks like EVs are here to stay with Hydrogen for those it is more suited to.
Old 13-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #114
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They'd put a tarp down first Duh.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #115
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2
They'd put a tarp down first Duh.

i should bl000dy well hope so!
Old 14-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #116
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
You are exactly right. State governments simply will not let fuel taxes disappear, and not be replaced with some other tax to screw the motorist. Vic is already leading the charge with their EV tax per km driven.

Any of the smug EV owners who think they will be getting off scot free are in for a rude shock. I'm sure the governments will ratchet the tax up high enough so they don't lose a dollar of their income in future, when EV's become more popular.
Old 14-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #117
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
You are exactly right. State governments simply will not let fuel taxes disappear, and not be replaced with some other tax to screw the motorist. Vic is already leading the charge with their EV tax per km driven.

Any of the smug EV owners who think they will be getting off scot free are in for a rude shock. I'm sure the governments will ratchet the tax up high enough so they don't lose a dollar of their income in future, when EV's become more popular.
NSW have said they will Grandfather the rules so no tax as long as you didn't benefit from the rebates. Safe for early adopters.

Old 14-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #118
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
NSW have said they will Grandfather the rules so no tax as long as you didn't benefit from the rebates. Safe for early adopters.

Believing politicians
Old 14-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #119
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so a side note to this "fossil sh!t" is running out and we need to go ev
so doesn't a lot of oil base stuff go in to making tyres ?
and if fossil is gone what we going to make tyres from ?
no fossil no tyres , no tyres no need for ev's

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #120
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Believing politicians
True. I'll give you that. Be interesting if they don't honour it.

Meanwhile, it's 2027 before I have to worry about it so that's 5 more tax free years ahead of me. Plenty of time to enjoy it.