Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-02-2022, 01:25 AM   #1411
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
So I followed up my broken stihl hedgers, they hadn’t even ordered replacement parts yet despite me using these units to earn a living. Really not happy with stihl quality anymore.
I am now in possession and of $2k worth of husqvarna equipment, review will follow.
So after 15 weeks, I have received back ONE of the HSA56s, they have had hell with getting spare parts.
I managed to take my complaint about the poor service to the retail manager of this outlet, told him how much i loved my husqvarna, and how stihl quality has gone down hill. I used 2 separate stihl blowers owned by my customers last week, they both coughed and spluttered and ran like crap. Stihl, you are dead to me.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-02-2022, 07:51 AM   #1412
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Played !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2022, 08:39 PM   #1413
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
So after 15 weeks, I have received back ONE of the HSA56s, they have had hell with getting spare parts.
I managed to take my complaint about the poor service to the retail manager of this outlet, told him how much i loved my husqvarna, and how stihl quality has gone down hill. I used 2 separate stihl blowers owned by my customers last week, they both coughed and spluttered and ran like crap. Stihl, you are dead to me.
I find this situation perplexing.

A trade customer is more than likely going to be a multiple times repeat customer. To not support the trade with a high level of service is a bad move by this Stihl dealer.

On the manufacturing front, why Stihl is factoring the lower end of the market with cut price models with lower durability and quality just does not make sense. To be blunt, there are countless other brands sold in the likes of the Big Box stores that can cater to this end of the market. Stihl lowers themselves and compromises the quality of the brand overall by entertaining this idea. Stihl should be designed, engineering and building high quality products that can withstand the rigors of ever day use............and charge accordingly for it.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 07:39 PM   #1414
CJR09
RPO 77

Hey guys - does anyone have any idea where to get a user manual from for my Masport - M240 - M 2WD 110HD - model code 552709 from?

Couple of things bugging me - fuel light and park brake lights both stay on

I may have lost a spring for the park brake but cant really make too much sense of it, and before I start taking things apart could be handy to have the user manual around...

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #1415
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
Hey guys - does anyone have any idea where to get a user manual from for my Masport - M240 - M 2WD 110HD - model code 552709 from?

I may have lost a spring for the park brake but cant really make too much sense of it, and before I start taking things apart could be handy to have the user manual around...
Nothing on the Masport site?
Old 26-02-2022, 07:54 PM   #1416
.:4:.
Kicking back

https://manualzz.com/doc/24672350/ride-on-mower-range
Dunno if thats the mower or if it helps, but it was a 2 second google i did.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2022, 11:19 PM   #1417
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Nothing on the Masport site?
Unfortunately no - takes you to a 404

https://masport.co.nz/category/outdo...awnmowers/P584

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

Last edited by CJR09; 26-02-2022 at 11:24 PM.
Old 26-02-2022, 11:21 PM   #1418
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
https://manualzz.com/doc/24672350/ride-on-mower-range
Dunno if thats the mower or if it helps, but it was a 2 second google i did.
Thanks for looking but that is the sales brochure - I need the user manual with the blow-up diagrams so I can see how the park brake is supposed to be set up - similar to this: https://www.masport.co.nz/common/download/554411/

Appreciate you having a look though, cheers.

Last edited by CJR09; 26-02-2022 at 11:27 PM.
Old 27-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #1419
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post

here ya go
owners manual and parts diagrams, direct from masport dealer website

http://www.filehost.pt/48Miw
http://www.filehost.pt/48Mix
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #1420
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman View Post
here ya go
owners manual and parts diagrams, direct from masport dealer website

http://www.filehost.pt/48Miw
http://www.filehost.pt/48Mix
sweet cheers man

Old 03-03-2022, 08:56 PM   #1421
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The latest, autumn catalog from Stihl.......for those who like to perv!

https://nexuspublications.com.au/a10...done-email20/1

Why is it I WANT a MSS 881 Magnum even though I have no use for one. I mean, who wouldn't want a 121cc chainsaw with a 36inch bar! I have bar just thinking about it!

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2022, 10:29 PM   #1422
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

$2999! It better be good.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2022, 11:22 PM   #1423
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Absolute beast - I used to have a 36in hard bar LOL........
Old 03-03-2022, 11:38 PM   #1424
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Would be fun with a 14” bar, like a KE20 ‘Rolla sleeper with a big block.
Old 13-03-2022, 04:36 AM   #1425
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Last few days - our first prolonged dry spell for several weeks - would have made a great suburban time-lapse movie as lawns get mowed. Still a few outliers but about 80% of them are now caught up. Council is way behind on civic groundskeeping - will take them a while to recover lost time.
Old 13-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #1426
Kicking back

Attacked my knee high lawn today. Made a start on friday, but things were too damp, my mower was bogging down and my little whipper snipper just wasnt up to the task. So a bought a 51cc ozito whipper snipper that has a slasher blade, hedge trimmer attachment and a pole saw attachment. So only main detractor is its heavy. But the positives are, with the slasher blade on it just smashed down the long grass with ease. I also like its a straight shaft (i know some people like bent shafts) and its got a clutch. Changing from slasher blade to line spool takes 30 seconds.
5 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #1427
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have a commercial lawn that I have been doing for about 21 years now. This is a double sided nature strip that flanks both sides of the business's driveway and are about double the length of the average nature strip on each side. On the left hand side, the lawn continues into a neighboring mechanics business.

I have been doing the neighbors side out of curtesy the whole time. Partly because it just looks better, partly because it's only an extra 6 meters or so and partly because I'm a generous person.

I do this job on Sunday's so that I'm not contending with the usual traffic flow on week days, as such I never come in contact with the neighboring business. Today, the mechanic who owns the shop pulls into his driveway as I'm mowing towards him. He then gestures to me to do his part of the lawn! I mean, I have been doing his lawn for 20 years without charge, what made him think I would not do it again today? Or even perhaps stop me, and perhaps say thanks for doing the lawn for me.

I think from this point on, I will draw a line with roundup to mark the boundary and leave his part to grow as high as it wants until he figures it out! Put another way, would the mechanic do mechanical work for free for someone for 20 years without charge? No, of course he wouldn't. Nor will I from this point onwards!
Mustang GT

8 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #1428
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

and all it took for the guy is to get out say gday thanks so much doing my section even though you never had to.....
Yer will be a good lesson to him DFB.

I attacked my lawns yesterday and trimming.
As CB mentions we have finally had a few days of drying up here in Sydney.
I saved myself big time giving the lawns a high cut whilst there was a break in the rain week before last.
No trimming just a quick run barring where I had a few pools.
Still soft ground yesterday but a trim cut back down to my regular height was great to see but the damage is there due to alot of run off from above us dragging soil/small rocks and heaps of leaf mulch.
Its ok it will all recover but damn you hate the excess soil and rocks that unless I get anal and rake like mad.

CB, my word the council are weeks behind - there will be some grounds/parks they won't be able to do for sometime that are still wet as, any ride on will dig right in.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #1429
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Mine’s all cut and edged, about eight and a half hours all up at a casual pace. That includes time to shift cars and stuff, then put everything back again (think The Castle ) . It’s still sodden in many places, though.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #1430
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Mine’s all cut and edged, about eight and a half hours all up at a casual pace. That includes time to shift cars and stuff, then put everything back again (think The Castle ) . It’s still sodden in many places, though.

time for me to do ours again...... thank goodness fork i 'murdered' the front lawn last time as it would half way up me calf otherwise!. back lawn has me worried tho as i havn't been able to fill just ONE green waste bin for about 3 weeks now .

awesome that the neighbour lets me use their green waste bin tho
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #1431
Kicking back

Yesterday arvo my neighbor asked if my mate who lives in my granny flat and I could help her son (also a good mate) knock down her backyard. She wasnt asking for a good job, she pays for her lawn to get done however if its overgrown they charge extra. I thought my grass was long. Whats worse about her yard is that she had and got rid of a semi above ground pool, so theres a pool size ditch. So the slasher blade on the stupid heavy 51cc thing came in very useful. 2 yards slashed in 1 day. Then the lawn got run over with a mower obviously to make it even and pick up a bins worth of grass, which was maybe 10% of the yard. Rest done no catcher.
I have done some whipper snipping with the heavy one. It's a beast but my crappy old 25cc whipper snipper is the go to for whipper snippering edges. Its so much easier, even if it lacks power, its not heavy at all.
Having something that can take a slasher blade really did increase productivity.
Granted it wasnt an expensive thing, if i was just after a whipper snipper to do normal legnth grass id pass on it purely due the weight. But i did test out the pole chainsaw attachment to see if its any good. Being that yes i have a chainsaw, but for smaller branches setting up a ladder on uneven ground is sketchy. It works surprisingly well.
Old 15-03-2022, 08:10 PM   #1432
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

More blower woes...........

The cord didn't break but wasn't far from it. The C-E part in BG 86C-E refers to the Easy2Start function, a sprung weighted mechanism that makes the engine easier to turn over. Those springs are a nightmare to deal with, so I left it to the pro's.
Mustang GT

Old 18-03-2022, 03:29 PM   #1433
Kicking back

Had the pull start mechanism on my crappy 25cc whipper snipper let go last weekend. It wasnt the pull cord, it was the plastic gear thing. I did keep some parts off a 30cc whipper snipper i had that grenaded years ago. The pull cord mechanism did fit. It was a complete pain to do so because of the spring and the fact you need 3 hands to fit into a space where you can hardly fit 1 hand.
I did invent a few new swear words in the process, but after a number of slut cat monkey ****s, it was fixed.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #1434
Kicking back

So, its been a couple weeks since i slashed my knee high grass down, and a couple rounds of mowing high. Its back to where i like it.
So edges ive been using the heavy 51cc snipper. My opinion of it has really changed. Yes its heavy, yes the rip cord is the heaviest thing ive ever used to start anything. But i actually prefer it over my light 25cc snipper. The spool is bigger and has a much larger throw (dunno if thats the correct term), add that with extra power, the thing does more work in less time. Theres no making 2 passes over thicker edges like with the 25cc one, the big unit powers through. No its not due to different line, both use 2.4mm line and i have the same brand in both.
Old 25-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #1435
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was using a 100 series JD ride on yesterday. in front of steering wheel is a gauge/ clock type thing that had 86.7 read out, what is it and what does it do?
Old 25-03-2022, 01:40 PM   #1436
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe an hourmeter
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #1437
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
was using a 100 series JD ride on yesterday. in front of steering wheel is a gauge/ clock type thing that had 86.7 read out, what is it and what does it do?
I just did a quick google, apparently they have an hour meter. A digital thing on what would be the dash if it was a car.
Old 25-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #1438
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thank you I think its way past a service
Old 26-03-2022, 11:41 PM   #1439
CFOUR
The Destroyer

today for me was new mower day
tldr first: I mow 1/2 acre front yard with push mower, back yard 2 acres with a ride on, I got this its great

So, 18 months ago my trusty Rover 18" 4 stroke was at the end of its life and I was considering a few choices to replace it, the front runner was the big honda alloy deck.
The local dealer had a 2 weeks until next shipment of honda mowers and in that gap my father spontaneously gifted me a new mower... an aldi mower ... It wasn't cheap at $350, it felt quality at first touch and worked well for a year.
Basically this without the self propelled

Its chassis fell apart in a year and after being cobbled back together it lasted the past 6 months as "functional".

I was again deciding Replacement options, Budget of about $1000 frontrunners where the 21"honda and the rover duracut but I was open minded and preferred non self-propelled.
Then came yesterday afternoon,
I was at a buddies place helping him do fork seals on his wr450f and spotted a shiny new mower beside its box

A victa hurricane limited edition 20" 144cc engine, large wheels
"new mower any good?" "yeah love it" 20 questions later I was pushing it around his yard (put 2 racing stripes in it about 1m wide lol).
He had checked reviews before buying and the only complaint was the large wheels stick out 2 inches past the deck so you cant mow right to edging or brickwork.
Not an issue for him or me as we both brushcut the edge before mowing. and surprisingly well under budget at $550 Sold

I popped into Bunnings this morning to get one and right beside the 144cc hurricane was the limited edition Victa fighter, same mower but the larger 170cc engine and red instead of yellow.
For the extra $50 I couldn't buy the little motor one,
home assembled and used,

Went that quick and easy I tossed it in the ute between the supercars qualy and race and went and mowed the lawn at my sisters house
(I do that she mops my house, easy trade)
better yet after going well under budget at $600 it was upgrade time.
My husqvarna 2 stroke blower died 12 months back and I'd been using the tiny dewalt blower I use to blow sawdust away at work, extra budget lead to upgrading that too

the mower, so far love it, its very big but still lighter than the rover or the Aldi and it only just fits where I like to park the mower beside a project car.
Not surprisingly I found The large wheels stick out 2 inches past the deck so you cant mow right to edging or brickwork
The 170cc motor doesn't/hasn't bogged, large catcher fills right to the top without the chute clogging,
The 170 is a bit louder the the 144 but I use blutooth earphones while doing the yardwork anyway. actually recommend both the hurricane and the fighter for the money.
The blower, it's good, not great, 2/3 as good as the husky and twice as good as the lil dewalt (which punches above its weight)
Happy days
4 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #1440
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR View Post
today for me was new mower day
tldr first: I mow 1/2 acre front yard with push mower, back yard 2 acres with a ride on, I got this its great

So, 18 months ago my trusty Rover 18" 4 stroke was at the end of its life and I was considering a few choices to replace it, the front runner was the big honda alloy deck.
The local dealer had a 2 weeks until next shipment of honda mowers and in that gap my father spontaneously gifted me a new mower... an aldi mower ... It wasn't cheap at $350, it felt quality at first touch and worked well for a year.
Basically this without the self propelled

Its chassis fell apart in a year and after being cobbled back together it lasted the past 6 months as "functional".

I was again deciding Replacement options, Budget of about $1000 frontrunners where the 21"honda and the rover duracut but I was open minded and preferred non self-propelled.
Then came yesterday afternoon,
I was at a buddies place helping him do fork seals on his wr450f and spotted a shiny new mower beside its box

A victa hurricane limited edition 20" 144cc engine, large wheels
"new mower any good?" "yeah love it" 20 questions later I was pushing it around his yard (put 2 racing stripes in it about 1m wide lol).
He had checked reviews before buying and the only complaint was the large wheels stick out 2 inches past the deck so you cant mow right to edging or brickwork.
Not an issue for him or me as we both brushcut the edge before mowing. and surprisingly well under budget at $550 Sold

I popped into Bunnings this morning to get one and right beside the 144cc hurricane was the limited edition Victa fighter, same mower but the larger 170cc engine and red instead of yellow.
For the extra $50 I couldn't buy the little motor one,
home assembled and used,

Went that quick and easy I tossed it in the ute between the supercars qualy and race and went and mowed the lawn at my sisters house
(I do that she mops my house, easy trade)
better yet after going well under budget at $600 it was upgrade time.
My husqvarna 2 stroke blower died 12 months back and I'd been using the tiny dewalt blower I use to blow sawdust away at work, extra budget lead to upgrading that too image

the mower, so far love it, its very big but still lighter than the rover or the Aldi and it only just fits where I like to park the mower beside a project car.
Not surprisingly I found The large wheels stick out 2 inches past the deck so you cant mow right to edging or brickwork
The 170cc motor doesn't/hasn't bogged, large catcher fills right to the top without the chute clogging,
The 170 is a bit louder the the 144 but I use blutooth earphones while doing the yardwork anyway. actually recommend both the hurricane and the fighter for the money.
The blower, it's good, not great, 2/3 as good as the husky and twice as good as the lil dewalt (which punches above its weight)
Happy days
Happy mowing!

Would you mind posting a couple of pics of the blades and the shoot without the catcher fitted? I'm not familiar with this generation of Victa's.
Mustang GT