Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #121
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 
Default Re: Left Foot Braking? WTF?

You know what really amazes me? How some people can suggest if you have your left foot ready to brake, that it is just the same by having lifted your right foot making it free to use the brake just as easily. Take a closer look at your pedals next time you hop into your car. Most have accelerator pedals below the brake pedal. This means your right foot must lift up, not only from the accelarator, but higher again to apply the brakes. A hovering left foot is already applying the brakes by the time you have lifted your right foot. It's not rocket science to work out that your stopping distance will therefore be decreased. Who gives a **** if it wears your brakes a bit more. Not that this has ever been a problem foir me. If it saves a kids life as he/she unexpectedly darts out from behind an object, i'd prefer to know that i stopped to the best of my cars ability. If you can't left foot brake, then don't do it, but to suggest it's foolish when it can clearly reduce braking times for those who are capable is just pathetic.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #122
STINKY NINJA
Banned

For those willing to try this id recommend doing it on empty roads and stay away from peak hour until it feels natural,its not for everybody i only started doing it out of necessity(to stop my car from stalling while stopped) and i feel comfortable enough to do it all the time,its second nature to me now.
I didnt set out to teach myself to lfb,it just evolved to fit in with my style not that i have much style thesedays
Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #123
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Cool, I'll give it a go tomorrow when I take the kids to school.
I expect nothing less...
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #124
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable View Post
You know what really amazes me? How some people can suggest if you have your left foot ready to brake, that it is just the same by having lifted your right foot making it free to use the brake just as easily. Take a closer look at your pedals next time you hop into your car. Most have accelerator pedals below the brake pedal. This means your right foot must lift up, not only from the accelarator, but higher again to apply the brakes. A hovering left foot is already applying the brakes by the time you have lifted your right foot. It's not rocket science to work out that your stopping distance will therefore be decreased. Who gives a **** if it wears your brakes a bit more. Not that this has ever been a problem foir me. If it saves a kids life as he/she unexpectedly darts out from behind an object, i'd prefer to know that i stopped to the best of my cars ability. If you can't left foot brake, then don't do it, but to suggest it's foolish when it can clearly reduce braking times for those who are capable is just pathetic.
Things are not always as they seem - there is ballistic effect when you move your right foot from accelerator lift it up and than press brake pedal with kinetic energy - what would be a quicker and better punch - if you hold your fist in front of punching bag or one from a distance?
Not to mention that with right foot braking you would reach maximum braking pressure quicker due to faster application.
In my experience in emergency situation i hit brake pedal so hard with my right foot there is no way braking would be any faster with left. It is a reflex reaction and there is no thinking about it.
Another reason is bracing is lost once you move your left foot from footrest - left foot hovering is not a good position to be in.
Weight transfer to front of the car wont be as pronounced with left foot braking as accelerator is not immediatelly released and might be still applied while pressing the brake pedal - you are losing braking
Performance there...
To cut long story short left foot braking is not giving you better stopping distance.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #125
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess if you hover with your left foot all the time, by the time an emergency arises your left foot is already tired from the constant hovering.
I tired the hovering today. Not a fan.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #126
WMD351
Size it up

This one sounds like a job for the Mythbusters.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #127
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I gave left foot braking a go today.
I was much more cautious approaching corners and traffic lights, I would brake much earlier than normal.

Felt uncomfortable sitting on what felt like a 45 degree angle.
I never noticed how far the brake pedal was to the right hand side of the footwell until today.
Yep I tried it and felt the same. ...all I can say is.... "My balls!!" lfbftl
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #128
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
I rest my foot on the clutch all the time, never burnt out a clutch. That's some pretty heavy resting to do that.

I don't have any issue with people doing either, but I do see the 'potential' for a mix up with LFB.

I use right foot for accel/decel, and lefty looks after the gears.
Actually, I do use lefty on the brake when reversing (rolling in neutral) out of my driveway (downhill slope) when the car is not up to temp as it doesn't idle all that well cold.

I do heal/toe on a spirited entry to a corner though
Seen/heard many throw out bearings being stuffed from a resting clutch foot.

How many motorbike riders trail brake while on the road?

I know on my advanced course they taught many riding techniques which were for track only. Lots of people use track techniques (in both cars and bikes) while on our roads, but that doesn't mean they should be. Its a public road people. Keep track techniques on the track.

(i personally think the people with the brake lights on constantly are brain dead morons)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #129
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard a rumour that next year's CAMS license applications will have two separate methods.

1) follow the traditional route http://www.cams.com.au/en/Developmen...uirements.aspx

or

2) List membership details from AFF and just tell them just how much better you are than everyone else. Please note that no actual evidence need be supplied as because you wrote it on the forum it must be true.

CLOSED
This user likes this post:
Closed Thread