The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you have a Manual OR Automatic licence
Manual 240 85.41%
Automatic 41 14.59%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #121
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Ban autos?? What, so the people who are unable to operate a clutch due to spine and leg injuries can just walk? Jeez, I love manuals and hated having to buy autos, but they are especially handy for those who are NOT enthusiasts and just need a commute vehicle. And taxis, especially, cannot be manual. The drivers driving them now would never pass a manual licence test!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #122
sleek7

I remember doing my first 6 months or so of my Ls driving an auto (Falcon EA, god that thing was huge) and then learning to drive manual from there on (mums corolla before she rolled into a ditch... ....[she actually walked away with only a scratch, car was WO] and then her camry).
Have a manual license today and have never been restricted to driving autos.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #123
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my license in my neighbors manual barina. Honestly if you can't practise in your own car, find someone who knows that their clutch is exchanged for taxi rides when you do eventually get your license...

That said, I got my license in the good old days when P-Platers didn't have to show plates, and could drive anything anywhere. Seriously, cops actually advised me NOT to put the plates on because people seem to find flaws in P-Platers driving (whether they exist or not) and stress themselves accordingly.
Old 18-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #124
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Learned to drive a manual by googling it the night before delivering a car from Canberra to Melbourne. Now my daily is a manual. I'll personally never buy another auto again, manual is too much fun.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #125
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I got my manual license because I wanted to be able to drive a manual and had a manual vehicle at the time, where as I have mates that only got an auto license, because they only intend to drive auto's, that's their decision.
I drive a manual vehicle as a daily but I find myself wanting an auto as a daily driver as I get older.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #126
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I learned to drive manual in a bloody top loader. Nightmare it was. Went from that to a 97 mondeo, big world of difference! Ahh the joys of being a youth again...
Like shifting a wrench in a bucket of river rocks. To quote sourbastard.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 18-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #127
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I learn't in an Auto. I don't like manuals and would sooner have an auto. What is the point on changing the gears yourself, when theres a box that does the same job. It's ones less thing to worry about when driving. Unfortunatley, both my car and bike don't have an auto option, otherwise I would have taken them in auto. Driving either doesn't make you a good or bad driver. Acceleration, breaking and steering are more imnportant than whether you can move a stick up and down and press a pedal at the same time. Takes more talent to rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #128
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Don't seem to be able to vote in the poll but when I got my L's, parents made me learn in a manual so I can drive anything I get into if the need arises.

Edit - first post in this thread dated 17-09-06, 07:32 AM - somebody played this card I think!!!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #129
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i dont think it matters any more.
ppl get their licence in autos then manuel trans later on....
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #130
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i dont think it matters any more.
ppl get their licence in autos then manuel trans later on....

Sounds a lot like double handling to me!
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #131
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find driving a manual gives me more of a connection to my car.

When my EF was auto I used to guide the car through the streets, slightly detached from the car. Once manual it was more involving, I could feel the immense torque, the coarseness at high revs, and the slight light-load missfire that signalled the end of the head gasket. The auto dulled the torque and muted the vibration of the missfire and natural vibrations of the engine.

Kind of like the differenc between a kids ride horse and a racehorse really. The car still had most of the same bits, but was a completely different animal.

It's worth noting that in every car I have driven in both auto and manual form has had a similar story behind it. Except the naturally aspirated subarus didn't feature the extra torque bit...
Old 19-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #132
SuspectEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I could say the same thing about 18 speed Road Ranger's... People who want full synchro box's are lazy
true, but I can drive Road Ranagers fine now. But My first time in the training Semi was in Peak hour. Talk about thrown in the deep end.

And Im curious as to why people cant drive manual? I know some manuals are heavy as, but If ya can use a break pedel, then chances are ya can use a Laser/Focus Clutch.
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #133
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Ask SNBXR suspecteb. He is a user on aff and is unable to operate a clutch. He must drive autos.

He suffers from a medical condition that he has spoken about in other threads. His right leg is fine for accelerating and braking but I don't think his left leg is usable.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 19-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #134
SuspectEB

thats fair enough then. I just woundered. I got a mate who likes to use that as an excuse for not having a manual Turbo. but he seems to drive my EB fine.

But some people as you said may actully have a proper reason.
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #135
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

No problems. It's not common obviously but it does happen. Fortunatly for many ford owners, the current 6A is pretty darn good!
Game. Reinvented.

Old 19-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #136
BA Baracus
xls

The physical licensing is pretty irrelevant. In the event of a life and death situation where you need to drive a manual you'd just drive it regardless of what the plastic card in your wallet says. If the police pull you over that's a good thing, ..they're good people to help with the life or death situation.

..and what about people with no licence at all in a hypothetical emergency situation. A better argument then 'auto licence holders should have to have manual licences' would be 'every physicaly capable person must have a licence' in general.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #137
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
I am very surprised that there are members here that can't drive a manual car. Maybe I am a little harsh, but in my opinion if you can not drive a manual competently then you should not be on the road.. It is a basic driving skill... My wife's 80 year old granny drive a manual,, How bloody hard can it be....

Note: I am not condoning driving auto's. I just seriously believe that all driving test's should be done in a manual gear box car.

agreed, just the same as i believe that everybody should be doing a defensive driving test as part of getting their licence, just shows their car control and responses are suitable for the right to drive...

I would make allowances for people with some disabilities to drive auto though...
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #138
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Automatic for me :(
I learned to drive a manual when I was a kid, so it's not that I can't drive a manual, but when I was on my L plates it was more important for me to have a licence rather than worry about whether it was automatic restricted. We were a one-car family and that car was automatic, and I didn't know anyone who had a manual (and would have let me drive it).
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post