Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #151
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is quite a few differences between a HO and a non HO GT,most of it is only seen from underneath, and no they are not a pig to drive at all unless you are in peak hour traffic, i have driven several GT's XR XW XY XA and XB ,one think i can say about them all is they are a lot of fun especially in the country areas of Victoria where you get big hills with long and short straights tp play around , better stop im getting home sick lol.
cheers Nick
Old 22-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #152
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Hey nicholas, you've started us going by posting these pictures, we appreciate that.
Could you feed us more by posting some more with the plates and book showing numbers (in focus) to make us even more envious?
these are the photo's mate has sent me ,i hope he sends more, but they are fairly busy at the moment and im not sure if they want them on net,but i will ask.
cheer Nick
Old 22-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #153
prydey
Rob

this is totally off topic. the other night driving home i noticed an xw with the plates 'phase2' or 'gtho' or something that drew my attention to it. it was in very good condition. pulled up next to it at a set of lights and there's an old bloke in it. i used the opportunity to wind down my window and yell out to him. 'scuse mate, is that original?' 'i hope so' he says with a bit of a smile, 'i've owned it for 35yrs'.
'sitting on a goldmine' i tells him. smiles again,'i hope so'.

lights go green and he must have been tickled that someone noticed as a bit of a gap appeared in the traffic and he buried the boot. who needs a radio with a soundtrack like that.

at least he's enjoying his and it would still fetch 6 figures if genuine.

sorry to hijack
Old 22-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #154
42 PHASE3

nice to see some picys of such an honest low miler before some ****** got his hands on it and stuffed it with another 5 blade fan resto.

rod
Old 22-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #155
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
these are the photo's mate has sent me ,i hope he sends more, but they are fairly busy at the moment and im not sure if they want them on net,but i will ask.
cheer Nick
Yeah, I understand if he doesnt.
Old 22-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #156
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF514
What do you reckon you Murcielago will be worth in 30 years?
Well if Jeremy Clarkson and the top gear boys are anything to go by, probably about 20 thousand dollars and extremely expensive to maintain.

Nicholas, thanks for putting the pics up mate, that car is in mint condition. It looks completely original and as in investment is worth the 800,000 dollars. There simply is no other car in Oz today that appreciates in value like the GT-HO, tell your friend he is incredibly lucky and his dad is a genius.

I grew up around GT's, my father had a brand new HO for a number of years and traded it in for a new Holden Shuttle mini van in 1983. The real sting in the tail is that he only got a couple of grand trade in as they were viewed as a gas guzzler back then, and with no internet the only real way to find out how much things were worth was to talk to a dealer. How I cry myself to sleep at night sometimes over how cruel fate is.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 22-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #157
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Nick, thanks for pics a great car.. to all the knockers..get a Fn life.

And just for info a GTHO just went to Emerald QLD for $869.000.

Just for info again I never owned one but had a mate who did and when he took me for a drive it was wicked and it was new.

I did however have the luck of knowing the dealer principle of Thompson Ford back in the early 70s and got to drive his GT for a day with his daughter on my arm..my MGTD had died.

And a mate of mine in The Alice who restored a GT got to drive that in the early2000/01
Hi Mo, I used to work with a guy at Honeywell in the late 70's that had a white P3. We went for a drive up the hume highway one afternoon. That experience has stayed vivid in my mind ever since. I got to drive it on the way back. I will never forget the feeling and the sound of dropping it back into 3rd, plant the loud pedal, pull out and over take. I still get shivers thinking about it. I keep int touch with RK and he still has the car. In his words, its a bit rusty, but 100% original with about 130,000 miles on it. He too sees it as an invertment.

I think that your mate here in the Alice still has it, does he work the same place as me??
Old 22-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #158
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Not much - but the point i'm trying to make is that there are better ways to invest $800K than in a car. The guy buying the Murcie will be leasing it, claiming the payments and depreciation and laughing all the way to the bank. The guy spending $800K on a Phase 3 would basically sit there in the garage looking at it and hoping it doesn't catch fire or worse, stolen.

You can purchase a property in inner suburban Melbourne for $700K which is guaranteed to not only give you a decent rental return, but also significantly appreciate in value over the coming years just like it has over the past 40 years. A car on the other hand can depreciate just as quickly as it appreciates in value - Jaguar XJ220 or Bugatti EB110 anyone?

Fair enough, the Phase 3 might be the epitome of Australia supercars and worthy of a decent price tag but $800K? Come on! Immaculate & practically undriven examples of the Ferrari F40 have swapped hands for close to a million bucks and these are in high demand globally, not just in Australia. 2 or 3 years ago P3's were selling somewhere in the high 100's but for some reason they spiked to $500, 600 and now $800K... its simply not sustainable.
For the life of me i can't work out what that's got to do with this topic?

Nicholas has been good enough to share these pics, most people wouldnt, lets just keep to the topic and appreciate the car for what it is: an extremely rare example in unmolestered condition of the Icon of Australian factory musclecars.

Old 22-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #159
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the guy who has offered the most just spent about same amount on another HO and is very dissapointed in whats been changed before he brought it,he is flying in tomorrow and has already offered a huge price, but was told he and the other bloke will be given the chance to view it first ,
apparently Shannons was in contact trying to get it sold through them so they could be the first to sell a million dollar GT.
Old 22-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #160
DODDO
Can man

They are great photos nick. Thanks for sharing them!
But, can you blame some people for being doubters of its authenticity? We've all heard of someone being ripped off from buying something that supposed to be "authentic", later finding out its a fake.
I admit, I dont know the ins and outs of a GT, so i have asked questions about them (see early in the thread) before i have jumped to a conclusion and made a "stupid" comment on whether its real or fake, and guys, dont take everything so personally. JEEZ!

My 5c worth.
Old 22-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #161
xrdreaming

Thanks Nicholas for sharing these pictures with all of us. I actually got in trouble with my wife last night, she was talking to me but I was justing so into the photos that I honestly didn't even hear her!
Old 22-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #162
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODDOAU
They are great photos nick. Thanks for sharing them!
But, can you blame some people for being doubters of its authenticity? We've all heard of someone being ripped off from buying something that supposed to be "authentic", later finding out its a fake.
I admit, I dont know the ins and outs of a GT, so i have asked questions about them (see early in the thread) before i have jumped to a conclusion and made a "stupid" comment on whether its real or fake, and guys, dont take everything so personally. JEEZ!

My 5c worth.
sorry but i was not trying to belittle you,i just pointed you to my post where i had stated why there was no bonnet stripes, im the first to admit i dont know how to tell everything that is different about GT's, anything ive written having a go at anyone is only after direct insults to mates or my honesty.
Old 22-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #163
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most people throughout this thread have justified the exorbitant price by claiming its an investment. A house is also an investment isn't it - we're comparing apples to apples.
LOL i cant imagine the wrath of my ex if i ever ignored her.hahaha you gotta love em.
Old 22-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #164
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most people throughout this thread have justified the exorbitant price by claiming its an investment. A house is also an investment isn't it - we're comparing apples to apples.
Did you miss this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The thread is titled: HO a real barn find.
Not: How would you spend 800k.

If you wouldn't spend 800k on a GT, the people that would don't really care.
Stay with the topic please.

Old 22-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #165
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrdreaming
Thanks Nicholas for sharing these pictures with all of us. I actually got in trouble with my wife last night, she was talking to me but I was justing so into the photos that I honestly didn't even hear her!
LOL i cant imagine the wrath of my ex if i ever ignored her.hahaha you gotta love em.
Old 22-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #166
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
sorry i got quote from wrong poster
Old 22-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #167
DODDO
Can man

Quote:
sorry but i was not trying to belittle you,i just pointed you to my post where i had stated why there was no bonnet stripes, im the first to admit i dont know how to tell everything that is different about GT's, anything ive written having a go at anyone is only after direct insults to mates or my honesty.
Na na, i know you were'nt trying to belittle me and i was'nt questioning your honesty either. Infact, even though it may have seemed to be, that last post was not directed at you at all. It was directed at people making personal insults about one another and one anothers cars. So what if someone drives a "8 year old AU". Grow up. I drive a 7 year old AU, and im completely fine with it!

Just chill everyone!
Old 22-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #168
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
for 32,000 miles that car is a mess. i smell a rat.

Ud be suprised at how good it would come up with a good detail! :
Old 22-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #169
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
refer to last lot of photo's please, the buyers have looked at compliance plates, ive got no photo's of themYET,will post if they let me
Yeah see them,I posted before I read the 2nd page :
Old 22-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #170
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 PHASE3
nice to see some picys of such an honest low miler before some ****** got his hands on it and stuffed it with another 5 blade fan resto.

rod
Bah,if its your car do what you want to it,if the owner chooses to put a tunnel rammed stroker in it,who is anyone to say different..
Old 22-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #171
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

I absolutely love that colour.

Quote:
What is it - Track Red?
Old 22-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #172
mad cow
blue oval addict

juat a note on the lack of bonnett stripes, they were a delete option on all GT/GS falcons as my old man ordered his xw gs witout any stripes as this gave him a substantial saving in his insurance premiums. he was also wrapped that it was more of a sleeper on the street.
Old 22-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #173
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow
juat a note on the lack of bonnett stripes, they were a delete option on all GT/GS falcons as my old man ordered his xw gs witout any stripes as this gave him a substantial saving in his insurance premiums. he was also wrapped that it was more of a sleeper on the street.
Yes Bonnet Stripes were a delete option on GT's, but GS's didnt have bonnet stripes, also stripes have nothing to do with insurance costs.

Old 22-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #174
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

it's great to see a fine example off this muscle car still in it's glory, I hope the new owner does not intend to go overboard with it in restoring, yes they look nice all fancy and flash, but they are so much better preserved like this one. what a find.
Old 22-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #175
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

thanks for the pics nicholas. a great looking car. I can't afford a poster of a ho, let alone the real thing. I know I should have kept my 1972 Leyland P76! oh well, I hope the sale goes well.
Old 22-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #176
F6BF

Thanks for the pics nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
it's great to see a fine example off this muscle car still in it's glory, I hope the new owner does not intend to go overboard with it in restoring, yes they look nice all fancy and flash, but they are so much better preserved like this one. what a find.
Totaly agree, unrestored and unmolested cars like this one are one in a million....hope it stays unrestored
XR8 Sprint winter white
GTF Octane manual

FS: ZF 6 sp trans & converter out of stock BF mk2 typhoon
Old 22-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #177
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

That is the most. Thanks nicholas for the pics. Im speechless but i will say that your mates old man is one lucky guy. If i had the coin i would not hesitate. We have all seen show quality GTs/GT HOs but they have been tarted up to look good. This is bare roots Aussie Muscle at its best. They dont come any rarer than this. Original paint and original everything else is what gives this example a big OOOOMMMPPHH. I love it.
Old 22-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #178
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

What a great find!!!
Thanks for sharing this with everyone here on the forums.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Old 22-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #179
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

seems to be some jealous people here.... ;)

that is a fine piece of machinery
Old 22-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #180
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
I can't afford a poster of a ho, .
people/picture magazines are fairly cheap...apparently...
Closed Thread