Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #151
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default Re: Speed Limit Tolerances to be Lowered in QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
Frequently polling coordinates and measuring the time taken from point to point is pretty accurate. It only really stumbles when you are travelling on steep gradients.
That only works as an average speed travelled over a set distance, also it means nothing when you're wanting an instant measurement of your current speed.
Old 21-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #152
Henryf6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
QLD maximum penalty- dangerous driving 1st offence- $400 fine or 6 months.
QLD maximum penalty- 13-20k's over- $220 fine

Ah you are right. I got super lucky!!! How stupid am I to think I was hardly done by being booked with no proof by a cop that " saw me speed ". Stupid Henry.

Just so you know, in QLD, a street with no speed limit sign is a 50 zone. The zone in which this offence occured DID NOT have a speed limit sign. I was advised once pulled up that it was a 40 zone ( I had lived in that town for approximately 2 years and had no idea it was a 40 zone ). But hey I'm lucky right?
Henryf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #153
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryf6 View Post
Ah you are right. I got super lucky!!! How stupid am I to think I was hardly done by being booked with no proof by a cop that " saw me speed ". Stupid Henry.

Just so you know, in QLD, a street with no speed limit sign is a 50 zone. The zone in which this offence occured DID NOT have a speed limit sign. I was advised once pulled up that it was a 40 zone ( I had lived in that town for approximately 2 years and had no idea it was a 40 zone ). But hey I'm lucky right?
And you have lobbied to get a 40 sign erected to prevent some other unsuspecting speeder from any wrongdoing, yeah?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #154
Henryf6

Quote:
And you have lobbied to get a 40 sign erected to prevent some other unsuspecting speeder from any wrongdoing, yeah?
Thank you so much for doing your best to misconstrue my point. You are hell BENT on taking the focus away from the serious problem that Australia has.

I am sure the majority of people on this site are interested to know that they don't need a radar reading, following speed or a flash for cash to be ticketed.
Old 21-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #155
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Thank you so much for doing your best to misconstrue my point.
I take it that's a no then.

Quote:
You are hell BENT on taking the focus away from the serious problem that Australia has.
What, the inability to drive lagally without staring at your speedo.
Old 21-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #156
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Where's a mod with a lock when you need one?
Old 21-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #157
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Where's a mod with a lock when you need one?
Very soon at the current southerly rate Chris :(

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #158
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
I take it that's a no then.

So what if he didn't lobby to have a sign erected? He doesn't have to?

Since you're such an excellent driver, you must be appalled at the amount of people you see every day on the roads who fall short of your supreme abilities. Does it not bother you that the government happily hands all these people a driver's license, making the roads more dangerous, then generates an income from them via speeding fines? Fair enough, you obviously never exceed the speed limit so you don't have to worry about fines, but what about actual road safety?

I'm sure this would be a valid and reasonable concern for anybody who had family members/loved ones sharing the road with such substandard drivers.

Think yourself lucky you're not in Queensland.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #159
Henryf6

Quote:
]

That they don't need any evidence or a speed reading to book you. Clearly you don't think that's a problem.
Old 21-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #160
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
Since you're such an excellent driver, you must be appalled at the amount of people you see every day on the roads who fall short of your supreme abilities. Does it not bother you that the government happily hands all these people a driver's license, making the roads more dangerous, then generates an income from them via speeding fines? Fair enough, you obviously never exceed the speed limit so you don't have to worry about fines, but what about actual road safety?

I'm sure this would be a valid and reasonable concern for anybody who had family members/loved ones sharing the road with such substandard drivers.

Think yourself lucky you're not in Queensland.
You are absolutely correct, I am disgusted at the driving behaviour of many motorists.
2 hours ago I was abused by a guy driving a celica who wanted to travel against the flow of traffic to enter his driveway from a break in a traffic island, a distance of 30m. Apparently my using said break in traffic island to make a right turn was impeding his illegal manoeuvre and as a result I copped a mouthful of abuse.
There was a round-a-bout 100m up the road he could have used, but that wasn't what he wanted to do

Then theres the under use of indicators and the over use of mobile phones.

Mind you, nearly every driving instructor I see these days are immigrants who can barely speak the language, never mind instruct a teenager how to operate the most dangerous piece of machinery they are likely to come in contact with during their day to day lives.
Old 21-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #161
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
That they don't need any evidence or a speed reading to book you. Clearly you don't think that's a problem.
Well in 20 years of driving and 6 years on this forum it is the FIRST case of it I have ever heard of, im sure im not alone, and you claim it happened 4 years ago.
Old 21-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #162
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Well in 20 years of driving and 6 years on this forum it is the FIRST case of it I have ever heard of, im sure im not alone, and you claim it happened 4 years ago.
I bet your the copper who wrote the ticket out for henry.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #163
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
I bet your the copper who wrote the ticket out for henry.
Got me, god damn it, I thought I was doing so well.

What gave me away, my overuse of common sense, or the box of donuts on my dashboard.

C'mon guys, lighten up a bit.
Wait 6 months and see how it all unfolds, knowing the mob who govern us it is all propaganda to keep the righteous content.
If paranoia is what they envisage, some of you guys are playing the part well.
Old 21-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #164
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
You are absolutely correct, I am disgusted at the driving behaviour of many motorists.
2 hours ago I was abused by a guy driving a celica who wanted to travel against the flow of traffic to enter his driveway from a break in a traffic island, a distance of 30m. Apparently my using said break in traffic island to make a right turn was impeding his illegal manoeuvre and as a result I copped a mouthful of abuse.
There was a round-a-bout 100m up the road he could have used, but that wasn't what he wanted to do

Then theres the under use of indicators and the over use of mobile phones.

Mind you, nearly every driving instructor I see these days are immigrants who can barely speak the language, never mind instruct a teenager how to operate the most dangerous piece of machinery they are likely to come in contact with during their day to day lives.
Thanks, now we are getting somewhere. I'd like you to appreciate that many of the people who have posted on this topic are not trying to argue that it's OK to speed; the issue is that the system put in place by the government places money ahead of all other agenda, including making a difference to actual road safety.

An idealist would muse that all drivers who cannot use the road in a manner that is safe for their fellow motorists all of the time should have their licenses taken away. What a fantastic concept! But in reality, that simply wouldn't work. The country would grind to a halt. Whether it's right or wrong, A large percentage of people need to drive. How well they drive is irrelevant in this context. Licenses are handed out carelessly and the roads become dangerous. Speed cameras are deployed to take money from motorists. The problem doesn't go away. The government narrows the amount of reasonable leeway to turn a larger number of motorists into revenue generators. A single motorist may get caught occasionally, pay a fine and lose a few points, but in 12 months his points reset and he's still privileged with a driver's license. It may well have happened to the friendly bloke you described above.

As is evidenced by your story (and by simply driving and observing other motorists) the ever-tightening speed policies are doing nothing to promote road safety. As long as the government focuses its resources on minor speeding infringements, and simultaneously hands out licenses to people who can't abide by the laws they set, the roads become increasingly dangerous and the revenue flows in steadily. And that's the way the government wants it.
Old 21-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #165
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Thanks, now we are getting somewhere. I'd like you to appreciate that many of the people who have posted on this topic are not trying to argue that it's OK to speed; the issue is that the system put in place by the government places money ahead of all other agenda, including making a difference to actual road safety.

An idealist would muse that all drivers who cannot use the road in a manner that is safe for their fellow motorists all of the time should have their licenses taken away. What a fantastic concept! But in reality, that simply wouldn't work. The country would grind to a halt. Whether it's right or wrong, A large percentage of people need to drive. How well they drive is irrelevant in this context. Licenses are handed out carelessly and the roads become dangerous. Speed cameras are deployed to take money from motorists. The problem doesn't go away. The government narrows the amount of reasonable leeway to turn a larger number of motorists into revenue generators. A single motorist may get caught occasionally, pay a fine and lose a few points, but in 12 months his points reset and he's still privileged with a driver's license. It may well have happened to the friendly bloke you described above.

As is evidenced by your story (and by simply driving and observing other motorists) the ever-tightening speed policies are doing nothing to promote road safety. As long as the government focuses its resources on minor speeding infringements, and simultaneously hands out licenses to people who can't abide by the laws they set, the roads become increasingly dangerous and the revenue flows in steadily. And that's the way the government wants it.
Ask yourself this question, where does all that speed camera revenue go?
Those that live in the Eastern states complain about the state of their roads, but they are miles ahead of the infrastructure we have here.
The country we live in is on its knee's, the government is broke.
Speed camera revenue is like a non compulsory tax on the motoring public, no doubt, but you don't have to contribute to that tax.
Old 21-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #166
EVLKNEVL

I don't contribute to the tax. I haven't been fined for speeding in 6 or 7 years, I can't recall when exactly. With that in mind, I reserve my right to object when motorists are 'taxed' in the name of safety when in reality a blind eye is being turned to safety.

If all fines were removed from speeding infringements and a license system devoted to demerit points was adopted, the primary agenda would rapidly shift away from minor speeding offences. The structure of the points system could be shaped to reflect real world safety issues such as inattentive, tired or drunk driving. Police would be liberated from the 'speed kills' line they are forced to tow, and could hope to claw back some respect from road users. With a mutual respect between police and motorists being taught to both parties, it is feasible that the roads actually become safer. It's a positive solution to a problem that only exists because the government allows it to.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #167
loony888

It's commonly accepted that the "speed kills" mantra peddled by the govt. as a serious safety issue is a crock.

If the govt. (not the police, because the police don't make policy) were serious about safety they would raise the learner age significantly and enforce the BHP restriction for P Platers much more.
I put it out there that the govt. could care less about safety and view 16yo learners as nothing more than cannon fodder for revenue, after all, it costs for the learners, the test, the licence, the fine, the new learners, the repeated test, the reissue of the licence, etc. etc. and it comes down to numbers, more road users, more cars, more rego, more people passing through the cash regist...... err speed cameras (for safety, of course!)
Old 22-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #168
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Before thread lock. Tolerances are 2km/h for camera and 3km/h for hand held LIDAR.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #169
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
That only works as an average speed travelled over a set distance, also it means nothing when you're wanting an instant measurement of your current speed.
Are you using a GPS device from 2003? They're quick enough that they use them to get accurate high speed readings over mechanical systems...
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #170
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8 View Post
In Before thread lock. Tolerances are 2km/h for camera and 3km/h for hand held LIDAR.
Its the other way around in Victoria.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #171
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I don't contribute to the tax. I haven't been fined for speeding in 6 or 7 years, I can't recall when exactly. With that in mind, I reserve my right to object when motorists are 'taxed' in the name of safety when in reality a blind eye is being turned to safety.

If all fines were removed from speeding infringements and a license system devoted to demerit points was adopted, the primary agenda would rapidly shift away from minor speeding offences. The structure of the points system could be shaped to reflect real world safety issues such as inattentive, tired or drunk driving. Police would be liberated from the 'speed kills' line they are forced to tow, and could hope to claw back some respect from road users. With a mutual respect between police and motorists being taught to both parties, it is feasible that the roads actually become safer. It's a positive solution to a problem that only exists because the government allows it to.
So your not concerned about the cameras as such, just the monetary penalty they collect, is that what your saying?
Sounds good in theory, but with all these cameras clicking away, how long before a vast majority of road users are without license and therefore uninsured etc.
Money is a deterrent, points aren't. Not 1 person has mentioned the impact of losing a few points with their fine, it has all been about the $$$'s lost.

On top of that, I don't know of 1 person in the real world, not the internetz, who actually have a poor perception of police based on speed enforcement, and their role in it.
I just don't see it, I don't see a huge increase in accidents caused by people staring at their speedo's and I dont hear of anyone getting pinged repeatedly.
I believe the only people who consider the impact of speed cameras are those who fail to avoid contributing and I would say that indicates more about driving style and attitude.
Old 22-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #172
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888 View Post
It's commonly accepted that the "speed kills" mantra peddled by the govt. as a serious safety issue is a crock.

If the govt. (not the police, because the police don't make policy) were serious about safety they would raise the learner age significantly and enforce the BHP restriction for P Platers much more.
I put it out there that the govt. could care less about safety and view 16yo learners as nothing more than cannon fodder for revenue, after all, it costs for the learners, the test, the licence, the fine, the new learners, the repeated test, the reissue of the licence, etc. etc. and it comes down to numbers, more road users, more cars, more rego, more people passing through the cash regist...... err speed cameras (for safety, of course!)
This has been bandied around on here before.
The general belief was that it would impact on a young persons ability to find and get to work etc. which is why passenger restrictions have been placed on new drivers, so they can still get on with life without peer pressure and the risk of impacting on innocent lives.
As for BHP, I assume this is reference to power restrictions, again, it has been discussed and has proven to reduce the risks but not remove them as you can still get in trouble in a N/A 1.5l buzz box.
Old 22-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #173
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If all fines were removed from speeding infringements and a license system devoted to demerit points was adopted, the primary agenda would rapidly shift away from minor speeding offences. The structure of the points system could be shaped to reflect real world safety issues such as inattentive, tired or drunk driving.
All that would do is increase the millions of people driving whilst disqualified.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #174
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
So your not concerned about the cameras as such, just the monetary penalty they collect, is that what your saying?
Sounds good in theory, but with all these cameras clicking away, how long before a vast majority of road users are without license and therefore uninsured etc.
Money is a deterrent, points aren't. Not 1 person has mentioned the impact of losing a few points with their fine, it has all been about the $$$'s lost.

On top of that, I don't know of 1 person in the real world, not the internetz, who actually have a poor perception of police based on speed enforcement, and their role in it.
I just don't see it, I don't see a huge increase in accidents caused by people staring at their speedo's and I dont hear of anyone getting pinged repeatedly.
I believe the only people who consider the impact of speed cameras are those who fail to avoid contributing and I would say that indicates more about driving style and attitude.
You've missed my point deliberately. As I said, without revenue to be made from speed cameras the primary agenda will shift away from minor speeding infringements. Most cameras will no longer have a purpose and be removed altogether, and we wouldn't be having this discussion about tolerances.

These people you know of in the real world, are they in Queensland?

I just finished explaining to you that I don't get fined but still disagree with the policy. If you're forming preconceptions about people's driving style and attitude based on which government policy they do/don't support, then I can't help you. You're going to believe whatever you want to and choose to contort other people's words and views until they become something you can argue with. Those are the foundations of a biased opinion.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #175
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Most cameras will no longer have a purpose and be removed altogether, and we wouldn't be having this discussion about tolerances.

These people you know of in the real world, are they in Queensland?
Why would they remove the cameras, wouldn't they then be used to dish out demerit points instead.

My brother lives in QLD, he owns some VW Scirroco Rrocket ship hatch thing, he has no issue with fines or police perception.
Everyone else I know live in SA, none of us has an issue with the current laws, perhaps it is a QLD thing.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #176
EVLKNEVL

The cameras are there, as you stated earlier, as a non-compulsory tax on motorists. They would serve no purpose if they could not generate revenue. They would be removed promptly as they cost money and resources to operate.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #177
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The cameras are there, as you stated earlier, as a non-compulsory tax on motorists. They would serve no purpose if they could not generate revenue. They would be removed promptly as they cost money and resources to operate.
Tell that to Victoria - the cameras on the Westgate have not been operational since Adam wore short pants but motorists still slow down.
Old 22-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #178
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
So who would hand out demerit points under your system, the extra 1000 cops that no one wants to be, and don't tell me that's due to public perception either.

truth is, without speed cameras it would be a free for all.
Old 22-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #179
Norpus

Ffs, will someone shut up. Your unbiased opinions are ruining this thread too
BMW 535i E39 (sold)
Next changeout: AMG A45, due October
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPzCbTNpPWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03B1ng2iEs
Norpus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #180
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

When I started driving, a police officer could estimate your speed and if he believed you
were exceeding the speed limit issue you with either a fine or summons.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post