Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #181
Guzz226

Default Re: Pedestrian Run Down By Cyclist

i dont get the continual lycra references when referring to cyclists? Definitely a non cyclist approach to it as it is language cyclists never use.

Maybe some folk are jealous????
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #182
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no in this particular case it just happened to be an arrogant pratt wearing lycra that was the offender, im sure they are not all pratts, just like some other vehicular pilots are or are not ..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #183
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you point out the law he broke for us?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #184
strik9
aka fpv747

don,t mind me i just read these threads , to watch the cyclists come out to defend themselves...
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #185
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Lane splitting.

Stopping over the solid line at the traffic light.

Impeding/obstructing the flow of traffic.
Which state are you in, "lane splitting" is allowed for push bikes here as is moving to the front of the traffic.

There's no such law for a cyclist impeding traffic if they are using their lane. Can you reference the acts of law that make you believe this person broke the law?

Current Rides
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #186
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
no in this particular case it just happened to be an arrogant pratt wearing lycra that was the offender, im sure they are not all pratts, just like some other vehicular pilots are or are not ..
if a car driver infringes on you do you incorporate their attire in your description?

do you appreciate that lycra is not exclusive to cyclists, nor do all cyclists wear lycra? I fact the hippys, tradies, kids etc sub groups never wear lycra.

such references are irrelevant to the point you maybe trying to makde and actually do nothing except put the cyclists whose attitudes you may be trying to influence offside.

something to ponder
Old 16-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #187
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
This is from TMRQ's Facebook page yesterday.

Oh...so...because I already pay rego on our 4x4, that means I don't have to pay the rego on our second car or on my motorbike, because I "already own a registered vehicle"...?

Sweet! Couple less bills I don't have to pay.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #188
Guzz226

Quote:
Well everything I think of cyclists has been validated today.
As a cyclist, I hate this cyclist behaviour as well - FYI I always wait in line as a cyclist rather the go down the left and pretend to be a motorbike when the lights go green. I fail to grasp why I would frustrate motorists as well as increase the number that will pass me before the next set of lights, just to repeat all over again.

Similarly, I also hate people that generalise and fail to appreciate that one example is in no way indicative of all.

Your post does concern me though. Equating having to wait a few seconds with killing someone can never be justified - given you post I seriously hope you do never take such an action as the relevant authorities would not take too kindly to the stance you have decided to take.

I hope for your sake you never have the first hand experience to actually learn this lesson the hard way.

Having been physically injured whilst cycling and abiding by the laws by an inattentive driver running a give way, serious injury and death as a result of driver actions is an all too often situation that can be easily reduced or avoided altogether - it requires collaboration and patience. Generalisations and blame game stuff is the realm of 4yos at kinda, not mature people who are old enough to be on the roads - driving or cycling.

If each group expects perfection from everyone else as the silver bullet to this 'conflict' then it will only get worse and people, yes cyclists, but they are people, will continue to die........

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:24 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #189
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Which state are you in, "lane splitting" is allowed for push bikes here as is moving to the front of the traffic.

There's no such law for a cyclist impeding traffic if they are using their lane. Can you reference the acts of law that make you believe this person broke the law?
Yeap - cyclists are also allowed to undertake ie pass on the left. Few motorists would know this either.

Not sure it is necessarily a safe or wise thing to do, but it is allowed to be done by law.
Old 16-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #190
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh I'm not commenting on the safety of it or weather it's the right thing. I ride on bike tracks because I hate the road.

I'm merely pointing out tempted is threatening to kill someone who hasn't even broken a law...

Current Rides
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #191
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Oh...so...because I already pay rego on our 4x4, that means I don't have to pay the rego on our second car or on my motorbike, because I "already own a registered vehicle"...?

Sweet! Couple less bills I don't have to pay.
Using current rego formulas, the cost of any cycling rego would be less than the cost of administration.

That said on would gladly pay rego for each of my bikes:
* Kills the cyclists dont pay rego argument in its tracks - even though it is flawed anyway. This would be on top of my current 3 car regos but I would gladly pay.
* I assume I would get the same TAC benefits as a driver which I don't as a cyclist today (in Vic anyway) - in fact TAC only want to know about me if a Rego'ed vehicle was to hit me. Other road incidents are not covered.

So where do I send my cheque to?
Old 16-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #192
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take a read mate, theres a nice bit about over taking on the left there.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...aring-the-road

Not sure how you are applying the links you pasted they don't actually seem to apply to your situation.

As far left as is practical could be 1-1.5m from the gutter. Moving into the path of implies you are moving, you don't have a path if you are stationary.

Running over and squashing like maggot implies death, therefore you resisted the urge to kill someone, how very upstanding of you...

Edit, wheeled recreational vehicle has a separate definition to bicycle in the dictionary of your own links... Eg they aren't the same thing. They are in fact roller blades, scooters and roller skates etc

Current Rides

Last edited by SensationFG8; 16-01-2015 at 09:32 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #193
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

A few people here should stop being so anally retentive and try using a little common sense when replying to posts.
Old 16-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #194
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Bicycle storage areas or ‘head-start boxes’ that are provided at some signalised intersections. These are areas painted in front of the stop line, but before any pedestrian crossing to allow riders to safely wait in front of traffic. Bicycle riders must stop at the second line, within the storage area. Drivers must stop at the first line at a red light and not enter the area reserved for riders. Bicycle riders are allowed to overtake to the left of a vehicle, unless that vehicle is turning left and indicating.
maybe the rider was using one of these??

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #195
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to be fair to bike rider in that last video the car was too close behind him regardless of where the bike rider was in the lane.
Old 17-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #196
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
if a car driver infringes on you do you incorporate their attire in your description?

do you appreciate that lycra is not exclusive to cyclists, nor do all cyclists wear lycra? I fact the hippys, tradies, kids etc sub groups never wear lycra.

such references are irrelevant to the point you maybe trying to makde and actually do nothing except put the cyclists whose attitudes you may be trying to influence offside.

something to ponder
often i do Guzz, some cyclists may be put off by being described as lycra wearing , and yes ive even seen a trucky wearing lycra , but they really shouldn't be offended, after all its what they are wearing, people dig the boots into truck drivers all the time mate , water off a ducks back , you cant have a thin skin in this day and age , and as far as influencing people, some of these riders already do a good job of doing that.
Old 17-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #197
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well everything I think of cyclists has been validated today.
I don't like cyclists that do this either. I take my spot in the queue just like I would in a car. As do the guys I ride with. So once again, I'm sorry that you've had a run in with a bad cyclist, but we aren't all like that.. Just a heads up for the next time you think of ruining someone's life, just because you lost 2 seconds of your day.

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:25 AM.
DBourne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #198
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the go with so many cyclists changing lanes without looking. Saw one this morning change across an exit ramp of a freeway in front of a group of fast moving cars. Then as he passed the big sign saying "No bicycles allowed on bridge" he then swerved into my lane without even a glance. Luckily for him I saw his stupid move seconds earlier so I was aware that he had no idea what he was doing.
If cyclists care so much about their safety to the point they have to dob in other drivers for being so dangerous around them, why do they then disregard signs and road designs that are designed to keep them safe?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #199
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure mate, maybe ask the same question to drivers who don't look when they merge / change lanes / do anything..

PS. I'm guessing you missed the repeated posts by myself, and the rest of the cyclists who have told you that we are not all the same, just like drivers aren't the same, just like all humans aren't the same.

If so, let me give you the spoiler of it all, we aren't all the same. So that guy who was a goose, doesn't represent all cyclist.. just so you know..
Old 17-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #200
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Whats the go with so many cyclists changing lanes without looking. Saw one this morning change across an exit ramp of a freeway in front of a group of fast moving cars. Then as he passed the big sign saying "No bicycles allowed on bridge" he then swerved into my lane without even a glance. Luckily for him I saw his stupid move seconds earlier so I was aware that he had no idea what he was doing.
If cyclists care so much about their safety to the point they have to dob in other drivers for being so dangerous around them, why do they then disregard signs and road designs that are designed to keep them safe?
Cyclists want to improve their road safety and reduce statistics, but there is always one (or many) who want to deliberatly contribute to the toll. Apart from registration, licensing
should also be compulsory, proving that the cyclist is aware of their responsibility and road laws. Igrorance and blatant arrogance is NO excuse.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #201
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Licensing hasn't really worked for cars look at some of the turkeys who passed the license test, why would it work for bikes? I personally think that's going too far, incremental changes are probably better (eg some type of ID).

Current Rides
Old 17-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #202
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

some of you must drive with your eyes shut most the time if you think only cyclist break road rules,, if you look a bit harder I'm sure you will see road rules being broken by a lot more motorist than cyclists

3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #203
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
some of you must drive with your eyes shut most the time if you think only cyclist break road rules,, if you look a bit harder I'm sure you will see road rules being broken by a lot more motorist than cyclists
What you have said is so true. But for cyclists, they are so vulnerable to their own mistakes as well as that caused by cars. No one wants to get hurt going from A to B, but a basic test for cylists to better understand their oblogations and the law can't hurt.This could be a govco initiave for school students around 12-13 years old. So many people are unaware of basic road rules, pedestrians especially.
Old 17-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #204
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

correct about being vulnerable, but the funny thing is some of the things people here are complaining about are legal, how many times have we heard about cyclist riding 2 abreast? well that's legal, it may not be advisory in some case, but it is legal, infact in some cases 3 abreast is legal, 4 or 5? no not legal, many motorist have no idea about road rules

Old 17-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #205
marty351

Just double checked, cyclists may ride two abreast unless overtaking (temp 3 abreast) and be no more than 1.5 metres apart. 3 abreast would make the whole lane occupied, dangerous on a single lane road.
Old 17-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #206
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

correct, which is why some courtesy should be shown

Old 17-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #207
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
correct, which is why some courtesy should be shown
Thats why I didn't persue my motorcycle lisence. Lack of driver awareness, courtesy and respect. I don't like the idea of being swallowed by a truck or car simply because he/she
could not see me, as is often the case.
Old 17-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #208
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it really is amazing how few people have a clue, you just need to look at some of the false interpretation of rules from some of the people here to know it's not just bad cyclists but bad drivers that don't know the rules. I'm still laughing at the application of roller skate rules to a bike...

Either way I'd prefer to stick to my interpretation of the laws and just be patient when I'm near a bike rider and then give plenty of space going past, I'd rather not have their death on my conscience.

Current Rides
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #209
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Yeah it really is amazing how few people have a clue, you just need to look at some of the false interpretation of rules from some of the people here to know it's not just bad cyclists but bad drivers that don't know the rules. I'm still laughing at the application of roller skate rules to a bike...

Either way I'd prefer to stick to my interpretation of the laws and just be patient when I'm near a bike rider and then give plenty of space going past, I'd rather not have their death on my conscience.
That being said, people with poor commonsence also have a lack of consience.
Old 17-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #210
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here's another cyclist having a whinge about a truck supposedy passing too closely..
I'm guessing you either have never ridden a bike or at the very best haven't ridden one since you were 12...

No idea :(

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:27 AM.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: