Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #211
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Pedestrian Run Down By Cyclist

A lot has been said here about laws, both for Cyclists and cars.

But what a lot of people also forget is that just because it's the law it's doesn't mean that it's either safe or sensible.

I mean, you can step onto a Pedestrian crossing in front of a Bus and get run over, but a least you'll die knowing that you had right of way.
Old 17-01-2015, 11:36 PM   #212
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

But what a lot of people also forget is that just because it's the law it's doesn't mean that it's either safe or sensible.

I mean, you can step onto a Pedestrian crossing in front of a Bus and get run over, but a least you'll die knowing that you had right of way.
But it wouldn't be unsafe if everyone knew the laws and would abide by them and it would/ should be safe to utilise your right of way, imagine if red lights were considered optional like many pedestrian crossings and give way to pedestrian zones seem to be.
A bus approaching a pedestrian crossing should assume a pedestrian may be preparing to use the crossing and be ready to stop. Most (not all) pedestrian crossings are designed (Australian design rules) to be clearly visible (no parked cars etc) from a distance appropriate to the speed zone so as to allow vehicles to stop when necessary, the bus driver should know better.
As a pedestrian I have taken to pushing cyclists off their bike if they try and avoid me on a crossing and I have removed 3 mirrors from passing cars while im on the crossing...the drivers weren't happy but were wrong.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #213
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
But it wouldn't be unsafe if everyone knew the laws and would abide by them and it would/ should be safe to utilise your right of way, imagine if red lights were considered optional like many pedestrian crossings and give way to pedestrian zones seem to be.
A bus approaching a pedestrian crossing should assume a pedestrian may be preparing to use the crossing and be ready to stop. Most (not all) pedestrian crossings are designed (Australian design rules) to be clearly visible (no parked cars etc) from a distance appropriate to the speed zone so as to allow vehicles to stop when necessary, the bus driver should know better.
As a pedestrian I have taken to pushing cyclists off their bike if they try and avoid me on a crossing and I have removed 3 mirrors from passing cars while im on the crossing...the drivers weren't happy but were wrong.

JP
Lets see if I have this right.... you see a Bus/truck/Car/Cyclist coming as you are about to cross, you would enforce your right of way and carry on across in front of them?
Old 17-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #214
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lets see if I have this right.... you see a Bus/truck/Car/Cyclist coming as you are about to cross, you would enforce your right of way and carry on across in front of them?
Not what I said.
I shouldn't have to step backwards out of their way, but for their ignorance or arrogance
In the majority of pedestrian crossings and intersections with give way to pedestrian signs I use there is no excuse bar ignorance for me as a pedestrian being in danger. Of course I look and asses my chances, hence why having time to line up mirrors as they sail through.

I wont get myself killed but will let them know their failing! So Im still alive an dright and they suffered more then just having to wait for 10 seconds.
Im a vigilante militant pedestrian!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 12:15 AM   #215
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see some people walk onto those crossings completely oblivious of their surroundings. They must think that those white lines are some kind of force field. Just because you have right-of-way, doesn't mean you can't be put into a wheelchair. Unless the car is stopped, I always try and make some kind of facial contact before I walk out. I don't want to be trapped under someone's hot exhaust just because the driver was checking out the rack on the chick outside Nandos.

Last edited by CoupeKing; 18-01-2015 at 12:25 AM.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 01:00 AM   #216
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How do you behave around bike riders when you're in your car?

As I've already said not commenting on the safety of doing some of this stuff merely highlighting it's actually legal.

End of the day the car will kill, the bike will delay the driver slightly. That's why I chose patience over rage. I don't ride on the road, but I know how to share...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 01:43 AM   #217
Hell Cat

I worked in bike shops for years and ran my own business, I got so sick of bikes and dealing with the way some riders carry on that I left the industry.
I raced for years bmx/road/mountain bike.

I drive very carefully when near cyclists and have still copped abuse. (I indicate and pass with plenty of space, i drive near cyclists in the way i would want a motorist to drive near me)

On my daily drive to and from work i would witness cyclist doing really dangerous things, sadly it is more than just a minority.
I got told to hurry up while crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing near my work by a cyclist because he didnt want to stop and unclip... so i told him to get ******.

Just because you can leagally ride x2 abreast on 2nd lane of a 3 lane road doesnt mean you should, Riding down gympie road to the city in peak hour with a backpack on wobbling all over the place, passing cars on the left while the car is turning left.

I have around $20000 worth of bikes that I barely ride now, if i do take the road bike out its mainly on the bike ways or quiet roads, i value my life too much to get killed riding.

People going out with go-pros just to cause ****.. ive witnessed it.

Last edited by Hell Cat; 18-01-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 02:43 AM   #218
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat View Post
I got told to hurry up while crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing near my work by a cyclist because he didnt want to stop and unclip... so i told him to get ******.
Sounds familiar. I had one yell 'coming though' as I was crossing on a zebra crossing. When he rode in front of me and almost right over my feet, I shoved him off. The look of confusion on his face was priceless.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #219
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you didn't have the maturity, personal values or morals to rise above it, instead you sink to a level below the cyclist by committing an equally if not more dangerous act...

Cool story bro, ya mum must be so proud
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #220
champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Sounds familiar. I had one yell 'coming though' as I was crossing on a zebra crossing. When he rode in front of me and almost right over my feet, I shoved him off. The look of confusion on his face was priceless.

Gotta love it!!! Good on you!!!
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #221
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
So you didn't have the maturity, personal values or morals to rise above it, instead you sink to a level below the cyclist by committing an equally if not more dangerous act...

Cool story bro, ya mum must be so proud
Automatic reaction/self preservation mode maybe?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #222
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Cyclists keep bleating about laws that entitle them to do certain things. These laws probably date back to the horse and cart era. The fact is that with today's traffic levels there is simply no room for cyclists on the road and riding on the road should be completely outlawed. Any political party who vows to do this would win an election in a landslide as they would have the support of 90% of the population.
Correct, there is not enough room at times, so maybe a time share system should be in place and ban cars from these roads at times and trucks at others and cyclist at others, imagine the up roar then.

90% of the population you think, where did you get this number?
If laws change, they are only going to change to allow more room/safety for cyclist

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #223
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Please elaborate. No idea about what?
Cyclist mentality?
Typical!
Perhaps if the truck driver had been looking ahead properly at the traffic in front, as he should, then the situation should not have happened. (and no I'm not having a go at truck drivers!)

If there was a slow car in front of you in traffic would you wait behind until it was safe to pass or would you just pass anyway?

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:28 AM.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #224
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Contributing to the economy by keeping bicycle shops etc. in business.

Freeloaders huh, I will remember that when I pay my current five full registration renewals to the tune of over 3k, my 6k+ of fuel and the associated taxes with that each year, and of course the five figure personal tax bill I pay every year.

Last edited by mcnews; 18-01-2015 at 11:43 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #225
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Of course there would be an uproar. Cars and trucks pay significant amounts of money to use the roads through registration and fuel taxes. Trucks are performing a service by delivering goods and contributing to the economy.
What are cyclists contributing? They are nothing but freeloaders who use the road as their own personal training tracks. They contribute the least yet want to take up most of the road. If exercise is so important to them then why don't they use a velodrome or a stationary bike in a gym? Leave the roads to motor vehicles for whom they were designed and built for.

I was probably being conservative with my 90% figure. It would probably be closer to 98%. The laws will only change in favour of the cyclist if the greens get into power. God help us all from ever being subjected to that misfortune.
the more you post, the more you prove to us what you are like, thank god people like you are slowly disappearing

3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #226
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I truly hope you are prevented from breeding
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #227
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
the more you post, the more you prove to us what you are like, thank god people like you are slowly disappearing
What do you mean here? (Not having a go, just want to know)

As someone who has followed this debate and agreed with points from both sides, I can understand tempted's point of view and i think it is a valid one. Possibly could be expressed in a better manner but that is hard on an internet forum...
Old 18-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #228
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

cycling tour in my neck of the woods until wed
my god
cyclists everywhere on country roads with some roads havin no bike lanes
so you go around blind corners doing the speed limit and nearly clean up 20 cyclists that are two abreast and taking up half your lane, yup, half the lane
no support car no notice to say they are riding down this road please be careful
id actually thought id gone out on a road where they werent riding as there was no signs

seriously someone is going to get seriously hurt

came into a local town
watch half a dozen of them just dawdle over to the middle of the road at an intesection to turn right
no signals no stopping at the road sign and just turned left and sat in the middle of the road
i gave them a toot and got abused
THIS attitude is what gives the cyclists that do the right thing a bad name
got told to get ********* when asked where was the signal to turn right and why they didnt stop

unreal
on the way home a father riding with his kids, using the bike lane and they all stuck their arm out to turn left at the intersection
at least the dad showed his kids what to do and how to ride safely
its not hte family out and about on bikes thats the probs
it seems to be these people in clubs in groups and pink lycra that think they own the world
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #229
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
[LEFT]

Of course there would be an uproar. Cars and trucks pay significant amounts of money to use the roads through registration and fuel taxes. Trucks are performing a service by delivering goods and contributing to the economy. What are cyclists contributing? They are nothing but freeloaders who use the road as their own personal training tracks. They contribute the least yet want to take up most of the road. If exercise is so important to them then why don't they go to a velodrome or use a stationary bike in a gym? Leave the roads to motor vehicles for whom they were designed and built for.
I was probably being conservative with my 90% figure. It would probably be closer to 98%. The laws will only change in favour of the cyclist if the greens get into power. God help us all from ever being subjected to that misfortune.
Totally incorrect statement. The money the gov't receives from registration and fuel taxes goes into general revenue.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #230
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Totally incorrect statement. The money the gov't receives from registration and fuel taxes goes into general revenue.
I am not an apolgist for a particular forum member, but that is not what he said. He said they 'pay significant amounts of money to use the roads'...
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #231
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

although still many around, many people have this self entitlement attitude and only think about themselves.

Bikes have been around long time before cars, the actual registration fee in Vic is to cover admin of rego platers and upkeep of the roads that the vehicle is likely to cause and why trucks pay more than cars etc.

Many countries around the world have adopted to the use of bikes and cars together, we seem to lack that mentality in Australia and it is loudmouths from both sides causing it.

Cycling is a legit form of transport and totally legal.
Both sides should stick to the rules that govern them!

He has made physical threats to cyclist and then tried to pass it off as a joke, obviously this is what he really thinks and may lead to someone being hurt or killed, that someone could be somebodies best mate, son/daughter, Parent etc, but then again there is a strong possibility that he is just a keyboard warrior and nothing will come of it

2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #232
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I really couldn't give a toss what cyclists think of me because they are the minority who are living in their own fantasy world far from reality.

so more bikes are sold than cars each year and they are a minority

2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #233
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
although still many around, many people have this self entitlement attitude and only think about themselves.
Bikes have been around long time before cars, the actual registration fee in Vic is to cover admin of rego platers and upkeep of the roads that the vehicle is likely to cause and why trucks pay more than cars etc.

Many countries around the world have adopted to the use of bikes and cars together, we seem to lack that mentality in Australia and it is loudmouths from both sides causing it.

Cycling is a legit form of transport and totally legal.
Both sides should stick to the rules that govern them!

He has made physical threats to cyclist and then tried to pass it off as a joke, obviously this is what he really thinks and may lead to someone being hurt or killed, that someone could be somebodies best mate, son/daughter, Parent etc, but then again there is a strong possibility that he is just a keyboard warrior and nothing will come of it
I don't think this mentality will disappear in a hurry but thanks for your reply...

Last edited by superyob; 18-01-2015 at 12:15 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #234
Hell Cat

Cyclists shouldn't be banned from using the road BUT, i honestly think there a sections of some main roads where cyclists shouldnt be allowed to ride on between certain times- due to safety and traffic flow. - there are always back streets to take.

i can ride the whole way to brisbane city from the northside via back streets and bike ways.

When i was Doing lots of cycling I would leave really early in the morning and have really good lights on the back.

What i dont get is guys riding at night with a ****-farting little light on the back that can only be seen from 2m away but then some million watt front light pointing upwards to blind on coming people. ( they need atleast x2 good bright rear lights and tilt the front light down a bit)

I have been out riding and have had stuff thrown at me, even when i was as far left as possible, had a glass bottle thrown at me by an oncoming car, I had a passenger throw a towel over me as they drove past, been called all sorts of names out the window also. Pretty stupid.

Some sort of ctp insurance would be good but its not like everyone will pay it....... just like the unlicenced and uninsured driver who wrote off my work van.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #235
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

i bet if i didnt indicate to turn right at a crossroads and then proceeded to dawdle *** in the middle of the road doing way under the speed limit holding up traffic youd be on the horn and prob give me a mouthful
but its diff for cyclists

all most drivers ask is that they be sensible and follow the road rules
after all, every one of these cyclists would drive a car
but it seems as soon as they put on their lycra suit they think the rules change for some reason
follow the rules, be sensible and everyone will be able to share the road fine

i do think they should have a small mirror maybe on the right
and these guys with earphones in while riding should be shot!

be safe and be smart
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #236
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My sister rides a bike around Melbourne to get around sometimes, she had someone jump out in front of her on a bike path purpose so she'd stack her bike trying to avoid him and he was laughing about it.

She stacked, she got up and hit the guy in the face with a right hook and he ran off pretty quick before she could get any more hits in.

Never underestimate a girl who lives in Brunswick and is covered in tattoos cause she might do Krav Maga
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #237
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
So you didn't have the maturity, personal values or morals to rise above it
I committed an act that might hopefully make the cyclist reconsider treating pedestrians with contempt. Do you think doing nothing will affect his behaviour?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #238
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Cowcatchers were put on trains in the old west to prevent derailment.
I'm sure with all the attitude on both sides, they are sure to make a comeback! lol
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #239
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of the people most vocal against cyclists really need to spend some time on a bicycle commuting to and from work as a means of transport.
If cyclists are such a minority why do they bother people so much?

We can see why so many non car enthusiasts consider car enthusiasts hoons. Society love to stereotype minority groups.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #240
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I committed an act that might hopefully make the cyclist reconsider treating pedestrians with contempt. Do you think doing nothing will affect his behaviour?
They stopped whipping criminals a long time ago...
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post