Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
dc33
Starter Motor

Thumbs up AU II Slow/bad acceleration with shuddering -why ?

Hi all,

Whilst driving home from work the other night, the engine suddenly started to "shudder" when I accelerated to speed up (as you do when you need to get in front of a truck - without flooring it). As it happened last Friday night, I spent the whole of Saturday troubleshooting what I thought was obvious like:

* replacing fuel filter
* replacing HT leads and plugs
* Nulon fuel system clean into fuel system, however this has not solved the problem.

The last thing to go (I think) is the injectors.... ?

I have searched the forums here for similar troubles but have not found a similar entry, so I hope someone can help.

As far as the car is concerned, it starts and idles like it should, but when I try to accelerate quicker than normal (mid range or more I guess you could call it) the engine shudders with no response and I may as well be driving a mule drawn cart!!! HOWEVER... if I accelerate "moderately" the engine seems to respond ok'ish.

Would this be due to the injector(s) being dirty (suddenly due to bad petrol) or something else ?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

dc33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

few things to try, clean the throttle body, check/replace the fuel pump, check/replace the coil pack, give that a try and see how it goes
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Brisbane ghia

could be a vacuum leak, or maybe water in your fuel?
Brisbane ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

2nd vote for coils, a vacuum leak would show up at idle not under acceleration

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
dc33
Starter Motor

OK.. silly q'n...Is there an easy way to confirm the serviceability of a coil pack or not? where exactly is it in the engine bay ? Do I need to replace it in order to prove the point or is there a quick test ?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

measure the resistance between the coil posts, the coil pack is under the inlet manifold, just follow the leads, it is at the end of the leads, you would have to pull the leads off it when you replaced them.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
dc33
Starter Motor

OK I see, no worries there, but if there is something wrong with the coil, is there a certain resistance value I should be looking for ? (min or max ?)
Thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure of the specs at the momment, but you measure the posts on each opposite side of the coil (imagine the coil pack is 3 seperate coils), each of the 3 coils should give very similar readings, if 1 of them is different, it is stuffed

Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you sure it's the engine with the shuddering it could be a tranny problem if the engine shudders it would more likely be something major mechanically i could be worng of course but something to consider
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
dc33
Starter Motor

Its the engine alright. I have done a few tests and it isnt the way it was before. I am wondering whether a batch of bad fuel could cause all this, and IF SO.... will it go away once new fuel (good stuff) s put though the system ?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you think it's fuel get as much out as u can and tip a bottle of metho in before you refill it the metho lets any residual water ( the most common contaminant) mix with the petrol and pass through in small quantities reducing dramas
Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #12
dc33
Starter Motor

Will give it a bas I s'pose... Any idea of the safe level of metho is before I go any further? ... like 1/2 a tank = 500 ml metho etc.?
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you are going to chuck metho in, you won't need much. 100mls would be heaps. I wouldn't put the metho in, but it's your car.

Also check your inlet manifold bolts, and while you're at it, exhaust manifold bolts as well. I doubt it's them, but worth eliminating as a potential cause.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If you are going to chuck metho in, you won't need much. 100mls would be heaps. I wouldn't put the metho in, but it's your car.

Also check your inlet manifold bolts, and while you're at it, exhaust manifold bolts as well. I doubt it's them, but worth eliminating as a potential cause.
a full bottle to a full tank will do no harm on straight petrol not ethanol blend (this is only a mix of 68 to 1 and they do 10% ethanol blends) and dissipate any water you have in your tank mechanics have been doing this for years but bear in mind it won't remove other contaminants, but water is the most common contaminant anyhow
Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #15
peterban
AULTD

Could be fuel pump starting to give up the ghost.
It might not be able to deliver enough fuel when you really need it.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #16
dc33
Starter Motor

Well, it seems like it ain't the fuel as no spluttering happens when on a cruise (steady) speed. I reckons that it may be a sensor issue but yet to find out. Bought me'self a DIY manual today and see that it could be this or that (as always) and I am yet to figure it out.

The car still runs ok as long as I don't ask too much, but if i'm gonna drive a 6cl car, then I don't want it to feel like a 4.

Does anyone know if the throttle position sensor may have anything to do with it maybe ?
Cheers
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #17
dc33
Starter Motor

Problem fixed by local mechanic - non Ford
Old 10-05-2007, 12:40 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc33
Problem fixed by local mechanic - non Ford
And???? What was it? Dodgy lead?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #19
dc33
Starter Motor

Hi JC,

I knew someone would ask. Good to see someone is paying attention

I replaced leads/plugs and fuel filter without luck....... so,

After I rang my closest Ford repairer who shall remain unnamed due to lack of willingness to troubleshoot the issue over the phone and insisted that I take the car in for a diagnostics check blah blah, I decided to pop into the local garage. Spoke to the mechanic there and before I could finish my story he bluntly said it was a blocked injector; if not a few. He offered to do the job of cleaning the injectors on a rig and reverse flow them etc, for $260. As I wasn't keen on spending money just to find that this would not fix the problem, I asked "what if it doesn't fix the problem"? He laughed and said, "mate, if it doesn't fix the problem - you owe me nothing as I will foot the bill - that's how confident I am !!"

So there you go people.... speak to the local garage mechanic first.

Just out of interest for someone who may need to know, Ford sells the injectors for a mere price per unit at $120 + GST ($792 total) plus labour (price unknown), but then again I would do this myself.

I asked my local Repco branch and they quoted me $240 for the set of six - mind you these are reco units and they are also require your old ones back (exchange price).... Bit of a difference would you not agree?

Cheers,
Old 17-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
theshermans
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU II Slow/bad acceleration with shuddering -why ?

Hi DC33,

I just got back from a holiday drive with my Territory (2004 Ghia RWD, 85,000kms) and it demonstrated the EXACT same behaviour. Runs fine at all speeds but if you are doing 100km/h and need to accelerate to 110km/h it shudders badly.

I am grateful I found this thread as you seem to have done a lot of trouble shooting - thanks for posting - it really helps.

My questions:
1 - Is the problem still fixed?
2 - Any chance you are Sydney based and can point me to the mechanic that did the work (I have a feeling that if I call up my usual guys they will doubt this diagnosis and want to charge me a fortune to figure it out for themselves. They will also likely simply want to replace the injectors which as you point out, it much more expensive).
3 - Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Kevin
theshermans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #21
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DC33 hasn't been on here for a while -Last Activity: 20-11-10 01:57 PM
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #22
theshermans
Starter Motor

Ah - thanks for that.
Anyone else know of any good mechanics in the Sydney eastern suburbs area that would take care of this for me at the price DC33 mentioned - around $270?

My guess is that most would simply rather replace injectors than try to clean them... so could be a bit costly...

Cheers
Kevin
theshermans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
4ford

You may want to try the Mobile Injector Service guys, they will come to your door and will clean or replace as required, usually in my experience at a reasonable price.

Try the web or your local 'book, you may be surprised!

Cheers,
4ford
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post