Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Thinking of Buying this AU

Guys

I'm looking for a 2nd car to use as a daily driver plus to pass on to my son when he gets his P's in March.

I was looking at B series Xr6 but most for around 10-12k you can get an early BA's with reasonable kms and just average condition. I figured an AU may be better. Plus I've heard they're pretty reliable cars

So I found a nice AU3 Fairmont (not a Ghia) with low kms (under 60,000) silver in colour , immaculate, at a dealership for 9,000.

I just wanted to get opinions on whether this is a good price and what you AU gurus think of this model.

It's a 6 cyl, 4 speed auto

Cheers

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...ode%20matchany

2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Default Re: Thinking of Buying this AU

Too dear IMHO. The AU's are a great car, no 2 ways about it, but that kinda money is around average for a Series 2 XR8..
Id go hunting for a nice XR6 in series 2 or 3, and you should be able to pull a real decent example for a few k less than the 9k their asking for the car you mentioned. Your paying a premium and then some for getting it through a yard, all for 3 months of stat warranty.. Best to go private and get the same kinda car for less.. Plus the XR6 will have a bit more poke too.. Klms dont matter a whole lot on these cars as the 6's can easily go 1 million klms.. Id look at any car with less than 150-200k klms on it personally.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

That is certainly low km's, but it isn't a guarantee it hasn't been treated with respect.

It does look very clean on that site. No doubt the dealer would have got from an older couple and stung them on a trade in deal.

Do you buy it from the dealer and pay their price with the intention of being looked after when it comes to warranty? That is something you need to ask yourself.

Frankly I doubt you will have much to worry about with this car, as you say they are super reliable even if they look ugly to some people.

If you could get the dealer down to 7500-8k cash, no trade, then it is possible.

Either way I wouldn't proceed with any transactions until an independent report is done on the car, then hit the dealer with any warranty faults the dealer must fix prior to purchase. If they are willing to go that way and refusing to move too much on price.

Im rambling now, but I think bottom line is it is a good car from what I can see and your son will have very few issues with the overall running of the car, just be careful and take any precautions to do any presale checks purely for your own peace of mind.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

As above, its real value is around 5-6k if all is good.

I too would be looking for a XR6, your sons ego will thankyou (and you can get a manual). (I love my Fairmont BTW, but take me back to being 18 and it would be XR all the way).
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
robbyj
Rob

as above, way over priced.

Also as above, the XRs are a great looking car IMO, the front bar just makes the car so much better looking over standard AU's.

but if your worried about the power for a p plater, there honestly isnt that much difference between the xr 6's and normal 6's. Chuck a full exhaust on the mont and its almost there.

What does your son think of the AU's? I know your after reliability with the car as a daily etc, and the AU is a very reliable car, but if his going to turn around and sell it on after you hand him the keys, might be worth looking into what he is after. (within reason =p)
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could buy a flogged out ba for that money or a near new au. If its got log books I say go for it. Id try $8000 but Im like that.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I believe the AUIII Fairmont non-ghia is simply the best AU package available.
It's the best combination of the tough-as-nails AU drivetrain, combined with a bit of luxury but not being dragged down by painfully expensive IRS, fuel sucking VCT or slippery as a toad (boiling in summer, freezing in winter) leather.
Old 14-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Falconxr68

Extremely overpriced in my opinion. You can get the same car through a private seller for much cheaper. To put things into perspective, a few months ago I sold my 2002 AU Series 3 XR6 with low kms, tickford bodykit and rims for $8600.

I probably could have sold it for more but it got sold in 3 weeks which was a quick sale. If your willing to spend that much money, then I'd be looking at the XR's (better resale value) or another model car. If you're keen on this model, then look at private sellers. Either way, all the best with whatever you purchase.
Falconxr68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

resale

buy a ba with 150,000 kms for the same money, do 10,000km a year for the next 5 years then you will have 200,000kms
now do 50,000 in this au over the next 5 years - 110,000kms still low kms for a au 3 so I personally don't think resale will be a problem.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
you could buy a flogged out ba for that money or a near new au. If its got log books I say go for it. Id try $8000 but Im like that.
but why would anyone choose a flogged out ba over a decent AU? unless it was an XRT
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Please lets not have the BA vs AU debate again ...... we know which will end up winning and it just makes others sad

I go the same as others ...... too dear for an AU F'mont. Would have to be immaculate near new under 50k for that price.

Best car I have ever owned .... and the count would be close to 40 ..... is an AU Fairmont Ghia ...... and sold the bugger for $8,000. A mate still has it after 6 years and would not part with it. Keep looking as there are heaps out there

EDIT: ..... Didnt see the link and clicked on it ...... boy it is clean and is close to 50k on the clock!!!!! But still ... I would way prefer the Ghia for that sort of money!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Day-mow
rexnet

buy my car

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
It's the best combination of the tough-as-nails AU drivetrain, combined with a bit of luxury but not being dragged down by painfully expensive IRS, fuel sucking VCT or slippery as a toad (boiling in summer, freezing in winter) leather.

all the way with this....because they are that bullet proof call me crazy but i would pay up to 8g's for it..

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
tickfrd6

When I was looking for my first car I was looking at ba xr6's but they were way out if my budget so I decided to go for the au xr6. Just looked a lot better and more reliable from what I've heard. On that note I'm selling my series 2 xr6 vct.
Link to for sale section:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11323096

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #15
JaguarDave

Quote:
It's the best combination of the tough-as-nails AU drivetrain, combined with a bit of luxury but not being dragged down by painfully expensive IRS, fuel sucking VCT
I too reckon this car's a very desireable thing.

Dealer sounds like he's ready to negotiate some on price given what he says about lowering the price to take into account the scratch but whether it's 6k or 9k wouldn't be the main issue for me. Sixty thousand km nine year old fairmonts don't come up too often so if a really decent car was what I was after then I reckon I'd ante up. Ford dealer up here had a sixty thousand km 1999 fairlane for $9990 about six months ago and it was gone within two or three weeks.
JaguarDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys. You've been really helpful.

I may see if they'd accept around $7500. Most of the Ghias are S2...Was there much difference between 2 and 3? A bloke wants 10k for a S3 Ghia with 120,000 on it as a private sale

As for XR6 -yes they do look the goods but there's bugger all around and virtually none with less than 150k kms on the clock. I don't really care for the performance of the XR6 over the Fairmont - I have the BA GT for that and the AU will be a daily run about , so provided it's comfy and reliable that's all I care about

I travel around 8-10,000 kms a year....If I buy this car it would be used for 7,000of those and the BA GT 3,000 (or less) - so in 3 years the AU would have another ~ 20,000 on it - so around 76,000 in total. If I give it to the son earlier than that so be it, or otherwise I keep the AU and he can get something else or otherwise its there for him to use if he wants.

Thanks again guys...Keep the comments coming though

Cheers
Pete
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 15-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #17
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Thanks guys. You've been really helpful.

I may see if they'd accept around $7500. Most of the Ghias are S2...Was there much difference between 2 and 3? A bloke wants 10k for a S3 Ghia with 120,000 on it as a private sale
In terms of standard features, no. Theyre practically identical. I personally think $10k is a bit much for any AU Fairmont, regardless of its k's. One could get a V8 Fairlane/LTD for that money.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

The good thing about these cars, is there are heaps around looking for a new owner. So you should have plenty to choose from and negotiate with. Just don't get too hasty to part ways with your money for it, bargain hard and be prepared to walk if they aren't willing to do something.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
IGALOP
Starter Motor

Sounds way over priced.
I got my AU2 wagon on duel fuel, 105,000k's, towbar with elec brakes, tinted windows, Altezza clear rear lights, 18 inch BA XR8 mags (x5), K & N air filter, cargo barrier, RWC (which cost $700 on brakes etc), full 12 months reg, unmarked exterior, very nice paint, full receipts for all servicing and fitment of LPG, which is still under warranty, etc for $5500. It has not missed a beat and looks and goes great, on the road.

2006 BF SR Falcon E-gas Pale Gold 17" Sports wheels, tinted windows, spoilers, etc etc, I40000 k's

1967 Mustang 289 Coupe, White 289 V8, auto, AM/FM/CD player, chromed style steel sports wheels, etc

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sport Hatchback Blue Twin cam 16V 2 litre efi
IGALOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I told the dealer $7,500 is my budget...he is sitting firm on $8k

As Blueoval said its a buyers market so if he won't come down to my budget I'll leave it.

Old 15-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I told the dealer $7,500 is my budget...he is sitting firm on $8k

As Blueoval said its a buyers market so if he won't come down to my budget I'll leave it.
Well if he really WANTS to sell it, he needs to consider your offer. Perhaps you could give him some incentive by waiving the 3 month warranty or something (I normally dont recommend this, but if you really want the car, sometimes this can help sweeten the deal but you will need to accept the car as is).

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeap let him sweat on it...plenty of fish in the sea.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #23
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah, i think $7.5k with dealer warranty is fair for an immaculate late AUIII fairmont with bugger all kays

If you think about it, the AU's must be getting very close to the bottom of their value
because pretty much no matter what model falcon it was, something shiney & immaculate with only ~60k on the clock is going to command $7.5k.
Old 15-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #24
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Theres no 2 ways about it, value wise all the nicer AU's are a whole hell of a lot of car for the money..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I was just about to say it's not too bad for $8000, but it appears to be gone.
Old 16-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
As someone who has owned an IRS fuel sucking slippery seated AU for the last 5 years I have to inform you that you are no longer on my Christmas card list !!
Old 16-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahah very nice Gaso, yes he`s off my list too
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #28
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
As someone who has owned an IRS fuel sucking slippery seated AU for the last 5 years I have to inform you that you are no longer on my Christmas card list !!

Hahahahahahaha. IRS and VCT's are sic. But options for the VCT do seem semi limited.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #29
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like it's sold. Did you buy it?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #30
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
last years must have gotten lost in the mail