Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
jj6789
FPV FG F6E MKii

Default Harsh downshift.

Hi. My father has a 2008 tdci mondeo sedan with 100000klms on it and has had a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st since 2011. It has been back to ford so many times. They kept reprograming the computer for the transmission and to no effect. Has anyone got any other ideas as to what it could be. Oil has been changed and battery has been replaced. TIA.

Old 15-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
b2428

Default Re: Harsh downshift.

I too have had an ongoing issue with harsh 2nd to 1st down changes on my 08 tdci. Changing the oil seemed to smooth it out a little but didnt last long at all. Ford has always said its normal but I beg to differ. I do know that I was advised to service every 60000kms too. But atm a harsh down change is the least of my problems unfortunately.

Oh also does yours do it all the time? Mine seems to happen sometimes and not others. One example is it always does it when i come to one intersection where you go from 80 to a dead stop with a stop sign.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
jj6789
FPV FG F6E MKii

Hi B2428,
seems to be happening more often atm. It certainly happens when you slow down from any speed to a near complete stop.
We purchased the car from Brad Garlick Ford in Sydney and I have to say they have been fantastic through out the whole process. They called dad today and are going to get the car back in and re ferb the total box at their cost. I just hope it bloody fixes the problem.
Old 18-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
b2428

Don't suppose they mentioned any problem or why the we're going to fix it. Just thinking might give an idea of what might be wrong with mine.

Old 18-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
nevetsg

My old MA did it some times but it was never often enough to do anything about it. I just put it down to how the box works. I loved everything else about that gearbox so I didn't hold it against it.
If I remember correctly that gearbox is 'sealed for life'.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
b2428

It is supposedly sealed by life unless you ask around. The local service manager at the time still recommended servicing it every 60000 at least. Would really hate to see what state the oil would be in at 150000 for example after seeing what mine was like when it was done at 70000.

Old 18-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
nevetsg

When I called the local service department at 120K to ask about transmission service he wouldn't believe me that it didn't have a powershift... I tried to convince him and he thought I was stupid.
Oh wells, she got written off at 135K anyway. :-(
I now have a powershift and love it in its own way.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
jj6789
FPV FG F6E MKii

They were saying some switches and other stuff that were going to be replaced as well as redoing the whole transmission. I think Ford have said there is a soft ware problem with them and a updated soft ware patch would fix it, but it certainly hasn't in this case.