Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Default Hooning Fact Sheet from QUT Brings Car Club Cruising into Disrepute

There is a new Hooning Fact Sheet out (linked to below) that mentions Cruising in a very discriminatory way.
Hooning Fact Sheet

I have drafted a letter to the authors regarding this.

I encourage all interested people to send a copy of this letter to the Fact Sheet Authors at:
marketing.carrsq@qut.edu.au

Quote:
To Whom it may concern.

I have recently been made aware of fact sheet on Hooning produced by your office.

While this document does contain a lot of statistics that I do not have the resources to verify, there is one paragraph that caught my attention as not belonging in a document purporting to be a "Fact Sheet".

I Quote from your "Fact Sheet":

“Cruising” - where groups of vehicles slowly drive around an area to exhibit their vehicles is a behaviour that can be associated with hooning. While cruising, in and of itself, is not a hooning behaviour per se, it is a behaviour sometimes engaged in by those drivers who engage in the hooning behaviours described. However, many drivers who engage in cruising behaviour do not engage in the hooning behaviours listed at left.

This paragraph serves no purpose other than to attempt to drag into disrepute all owners of vehicles who enjoy cruising in the company of like minded people.

I note that in stark contrast to the rest of your document, you have not included any statistics regarding the proportion of drivers who participate in cruising and also engage in hooning behaviours.

To demonstrate how flawed the inclusion of this paragraph in your "Fact Sheet" is, I have provided 3 examples below where I have simply substituted another common activity undertaken on our roads for the word "Cruising".

“Driving to work” - where groups of vehicles slowly drive around an area to get to work is a behaviour that can be associated with hooning. While driving to work, in and of itself, is not a hooning behaviour per se, it is a behaviour sometimes engaged in by those drivers who engage in the hooning behaviours described. However, many drivers who engage in driving to work behaviour do not engage in the hooning behaviours listed at left.

“Going to the shops” - where groups of vehicles slowly drive around an area to obtain food and other goods is a behaviour that can be associated with hooning. While going to the shops, in and of itself, is not a hooning behaviour per se, it is a behaviour sometimes engaged in by those drivers who engage in the hooning behaviours described. However, many drivers who engage in going to the shops behaviour do not engage in the hooning behaviours listed at left.

“Going to visit Grandparents” - where groups of vehicles slowly drive around an area to visit their Grandparents is a behaviour that can be associated with hooning. While going to visit Grandparents, in and of itself, is not a hooning behaviour per se, it is a behaviour sometimes engaged in by those drivers who engage in the hooning behaviours described. However, many drivers who engage in going to visit Grandparents behaviour do not engage in the hooning behaviours listed at left.

As you can see, your logic fits these activities perfectly and will also fit almost every other activity undertaken by road users.

By singling out "Cruising" with no mention of the myriad of other driving activities "sometimes engaged in by those drivers who engage in the hooning behaviours described", you are discriminating against the enormous section of the population who are members of Automobile Clubs and enjoy participating in cruises organised by those clubs.

The inclusion of this paragraph in this document will have the effect of bringing into disrepute the entire Automobile Club community, rather than focusing attention on the tiny portion of that community who engage in hooning behaviours.

I respectfully request that you remove the paragraph quoted above from your document.

I also request that you remove the word "cruising" from the following paragraph on page 3 of your "Fact Sheet":
Qualitative exploratory study to examine the experiences and thoughts of local car enthusiasts who are typically associated with street racing, hooning or cruising activities.

Kind Regards,
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Re: Hooning Fact Sheet from QUT Brings Car Club Cruising into Disrepute

Of all the descriptions, only one is 'hooning', and that is illegal street racing.
NONE of the others mention performing these acts on the street, therefore they are not anti-social, rather they are sanctioned sports/competitions.
Old 13-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think you've missed the point they're trying to get at. To me it clearly says they don't consider cruising itself a hooning behaviour, and with a little imagination I think I know what they're on a out. They're trying to include the behaviour where Mr X drives at half the speed limit down the Main Street slow enough so that everyone can look at him in his likely modified car.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

So you can drive to be quickand wreckless and be a hoon, or drive slowly at a safe speed without breaking any road laws and still be a hoon.
Wait till my grandma finds out she's a hoon too.
Old 13-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Of all the descriptions, only one is 'hooning', and that is illegal street racing.
NONE of the others mention performing these acts on the street, therefore they are not anti-social, rather they are sanctioned sports/competitions.
ah... me thinks your wrong...

Quote:
“burn outs” - when the rear tyres of
a vehicle are spun until they heat
and smoke;
- “donuts” - when the driver turns the
front tyres until the steering is fully
locked during a burn out, so that the
car rotates and a circular (donut)
pattern of tread marks remains on
the road surface;
- “drifting” - when a vehicle slides
sideways through a turn taken at
high speed;
- unnecessary speed or acceleration;
and
- “speed trials” - when the
acceleration and top-speed
capability of a vehicle and/or the
skill of its driver are tested, usually
on a straight road of a set distance,
sometimes to establish or break
records.
These are all illegal on the road....

I do have issue with the "slow cruising" which isnt hooning, but is hooning...

I was on a sanctioned cruise (123 cars) on Sunday with 4 police vehicles in tow.
Due to the heavy traffic we all went slow along the strand in our modified cars.... dear oh dear (and the cops were good, all went well)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
I do have issue with the "slow cruising" which isnt hooning, but is hooning...
i guess they figure that sometimes the 'hoons' might have a 'go slow' protest (purposefully going slow, but not a sanctioned cruise). they do this to disrupt traffic and thumb the police.

"You can't arrest us because we're going the speed limit" kinda thing.
Old 14-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
i guess they figure that sometimes the 'hoons' might have a 'go slow' protest (purposefully going slow, but not a sanctioned cruise). they do this to disrupt traffic and thumb the police.

"You can't arrest us because we're going the speed limit" kinda thing.
the issue is not about speed, it has always been illegal to do less than 20kms from the posted speed limit, but its one of those laws that does not get enforced unless its a problem.

It is illegal to drive too slow.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
the issue is not about speed, it has always been illegal to do less than 20kms from the posted speed limit, but its one of those laws that does not get enforced unless its a problem.

It is illegal to drive too slow.
Oh, this is a new one to me. Where (in any states road rules) does it say that?
Old 13-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
MAD
Petro-sexual

Super hoons...
http://www.motorclassica.com.au/general-information/
Old 13-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC-Cruiser View Post
There is a new Hooning Fact Sheet out (linked to below) that mentions Cruising in a very discriminatory way.
Hooning Fact Sheet

I have drafted a letter to the authors regarding this.

I encourage all interested people to send a copy of this letter to the Fact Sheet Authors at:
marketing.carrsq@qut.edu.au
Well what do you expect from a goup of car hating academic nutters.

How about a fact sheet on universities:

Facts:
1) Illegal drug use is rife within tertiary education.
2) Extreme anti government and anti society groups who engage in protests some involving damage to public and private property are very common in tertiary education institutions.
3) Unroadworthy and dangerous motor vehicles are very common in universities.

So for a start we have drug using terrorist mentality road hazzards telling us how we should live our lives.

I wonder if they would dispute my facts.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
What I expect is that when they produce a report on a subject, that they stick to the relevant facts and not lump a large group of law-abiding citizens in with the law-breaking minority that this report is aimed at defining and measuring.

Be aware that reports such as this will be used by the media, and future Law-Makers.

Unless you are happy for Cruising to be included in future Anti-Hooning Legislation, I would ask for support in getting the authors of this report to remove that section from it.

Last edited by ZC-Cruiser; 13-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 13-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:

How about a fact sheet on universities:

Facts:
1) Illegal drug use is rife within tertiary education.
2) Extreme anti government and anti society groups who engage in protests some involving damage to public and private property are very common in tertiary education institutions.
3) Unroadworthy and dangerous motor vehicles are very common in universities.

So for a start we have drug using terrorist mentality road hazzards telling us how we should live our lives.

I wonder if they would dispute my facts.....
I think you may need to have a rethink about classifying uni students as academics. Most uni students are not "academics."

There are few who choose the academic path because it is so gruelling for little short-term reward. It involves at minimum a 4 to 5 year Honours degree, then a 4 year PhD, and then post-doctoral studies. It is difficult because during a Bachelor w/ Honours degree you usually only have the money you get from parents, centrelink or part-time job. It's very hard to work a part time job when striving for 1st class honours which is necessary to qualify for a PhD scholarship. PhD scholarships are just over $20,000 a year for 3.5 years max (FYI PhD's are the equivalent of a full time job, often more because of weekend work). You only start earning decent money when you start post-docing (which is very competitive) and continued success and opportunity to 'climb the ladder' is largely dependent on how many papers you can get published.

This means that you end up about 26-27 with no money or assets to your name, whilst you've watched all your friends go travelling, have kids and buy a house. The point I'm making is that an academic is about as far as you can get from the binge drinking 'happy with a pass' yobs who live in the unibar or those who use their short time at university to launch their 'political' careers.
Old 13-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj View Post
I think you may need to have a rethink about classifying uni students as academics. Most uni students are not "academics."

There are few who choose the academic path because it is so gruelling for little short-term reward. It involves at minimum a 4 to 5 year Honours degree, then a 4 year PhD, and then post-doctoral studies. It is difficult because during a Bachelor w/ Honours degree you usually only have the money you get from parents, centrelink or part-time job. It's very hard to work a part time job when striving for 1st class honours which is necessary to qualify for a PhD scholarship. PhD scholarships are just over $20,000 a year for 3.5 years max (FYI PhD's are the equivalent of a full time job, often more because of weekend work). You only start earning decent money when you start post-docing (which is very competitive) and continued success and opportunity to 'climb the ladder' is largely dependent on how many papers you can get published.

This means that you end up about 26-27 with no money or assets to your name, whilst you've watched all your friends go travelling, have kids and buy a house. The point I'm making is that an academic is about as far as you can get from the binge drinking 'happy with a pass' yobs who live in the unibar or those who use their short time at university to launch their 'political' careers.
Yes, some students eventually leave the school environment and discover often to their horror that the real world is not anything like the theories and practices they were taught.

Other students never leave school and continue to develop and/or teach theories and practices based on what they were taught earlier. These are called academics........
6 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Yes, some students eventually leave the school environment and discover often to their horror that the real world is not anything like the theories and practices they were taught.

Other students never leave school and continue to develop and/or teach theories and practices based on what they were taught earlier. These are called academics........
Are you serious? Academics are primarily involved in research, and an academics "worth" is usually defined by the amount of papers they get published as a result of their research. Teaching is often a small part of academic life.
Old 13-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj View Post

I don't think you got the point behind his post...
Old 13-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
I don't think you got the point behind his post...
Well it was a practical example of real world views not a theoretical paper based on selected statitistics and peer reviewed agenda.
Old 13-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
MAD
Petro-sexual

Jim, where do they mention any of those activities being performed on the street?

When has anyone set up sophisticated timing devices to 'break records' for illegal street based time trials?
Old 13-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Jim, where do they mention any of those activities being performed on the street?

When has anyone set up sophisticated timing devices to 'break records' for illegal street based time trials?
Through the 1960s and early 1970s in Cairns if the stories are to be believed - on the concrete section of Aumuller St...
Old 13-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I though the report was good. If you read through it actually states most cars are not modified and are common cars such as a ford or Holden.

It also makes the difference between an enthusiast and a hoon.

It does not say cruising is a hoon act, but it is associated with hooning. This is correct, look at Cruise for Charity in Vic last few years it has turned into a burnout fest at the end.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
I though the report was good. If you read through it actually states most cars are not modified and are common cars such as a ford or Holden.

It also makes the difference between an enthusiast and a hoon.

It does not say cruising is a hoon act, but it is associated with hooning. This is correct, look at Cruise for Charity in Vic last few years it has turned into a burnout fest at the end.
My point is that the inclusion of the paragraph on Cruising brings unnecessary negative attention to an activity that is regularly undertaken in a responsible and legal manner by large numbers of car enthusiasts.

It's inclusion in a document such as this could result in future legislation containing sanctions against cruising.

The fact that no statistics are given as to the proportion of hooning offenders who were participating in a cruise when they committed the offence is suspicious.

The way that the proportions of hooning cruisers are referred to in vague terms is also suspicious:
Quote:
it is a behaviour sometimes engaged in by those drivers who engage in the hooning behaviours
Quote:
many drivers who engage in cruising behaviour do not engage in the hooning behaviours
This paragraph has clearly been included, without any research being done on the topic, with the intent of including cruising under the umbrella of "hooning".
Old 13-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drink ..

It is a behaviour sometimes engaged in by those drivers who engage in drink driving..

I don't actually but the point is there.

Fools.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

We are all hoons, because we don't just think of cars as a form of transport. So just don't do the wrong thing and they can label us as they want. There's no use upsetting ourselves by trying to justify not being a hoon. As you a fighting a loosing battle, don't forget if you don't break the law, you have nothing to worry about.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
We are all hoons, because we don't just think of cars as a form of transport. So just don't do the wrong thing and they can label us as they want. There's no use upsetting ourselves by trying to justify not being a hoon. As you a fighting a loosing battle, don't forget if you don't break the law, you have nothing to worry about.
OK, lets be clear here.

I am simply pointing out that in this report on hooning, there is one paragraph that has clearly not been subjected to the same rigor as the rest of the document.

I am not trying to fight a battle against hoon laws, I am trying to ensure that non-hoon behaviour (in this case Cruising) is not included in future Anti-Hooning Legislation because we couldn't be bothered to point out to these researchers that we have spotted this suspicious, statistic-free reference to cruising in a report on hooning and would like it removed.

Anthony Standfield, President at Queensland Torana Car Club, has already managed to get that paragraph changed to what it is now by making representation to the researchers.

I applaud Anthony for achieving this and would now like to take it one step further and have the reference to cruising removed altogether.

I am proposing that anyone who is interested in ensuring that cruising is not defined as hooning in the future should send a copy of the letter above to the email address of the researchers (also above).
Old 13-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #24
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

You know, I'm getting sick of hearing the "If you don't break the law, you got nothing to worry about".
Old 13-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
You know, I'm getting sick of hearing the "If you don't break the law, you got nothing to worry about".
Well mate better get used to it, because that's the only thing that's going to protect you from hoon laws. And yes it gets said alot, but that's because it's the truth. Look I love taking of from a set of light fast or putting the foot down when ever possible. But the laws have changed and so do I, otherwise it could be my XBGT coupe getting crushed. We all have to face facts, these laws are here to stay.
Old 13-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well mate better get used to it, because that's the only thing that's going to protect you from hoon laws. And yes it gets said alot, but that's because it's the truth. Look I love taking of from a set of light fast or putting the foot down when ever possible. But the laws have changed and so do I, otherwise it could be my XBGT coupe getting crushed. We all have to face facts, these laws are here to stay.
Seriously?

I mean do you actually believe that not breaking the law will protect you from our paranoid overly litigious public vegetables?

These laws are here to stay? Sort of like a 1000 year reich really........
Old 13-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Seriously?

I mean do you actually believe that not breaking the law will protect you from our paranoid overly litigious public vegetables?

These laws are here to stay? Sort of like a 1000 year reich really........
Yes seriously, if you've done nothing wrong then you can't get done, even by hear say. Like the worlds going to end it's all up in the air. I've been driving for over 20 years, I've been convicted of street racing twice. But all I got was a 6 months suppension. So I'm no angel but I know when the law is being rediculious. And these new hoon laws are over the top, but because of the few idiots that don't know a good time or place to play up, then we're all stuck with the laws. And they have been around a few years now and seem to be getting stricter.
Old 13-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #28
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

lol

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #29
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
I, like most reasonable people here, aim to avoid the hoon legislation by driving sensibly on public roads.

I will not, however, cease to scrutinize unjust laws. I can't see how having a defeatist attitude will protect me from anything, in fact I believe it would make me more exposed. Feel free to 'get used to it' if that works for you, it does not work for me.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #30
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
I, like most reasonable people here, aim to avoid the hoon legislation by driving sensibly on public roads.

I will not, however, cease to scrutinize unjust laws. I can't see how having a defeatist attitude will protect me from anything, in fact I believe it would make me more exposed. Feel free to 'get used to it' if that works for you, it does not work for me.
Cool mate keep fighting for what's right, my problem is they're crushing cars. So it's a given I'm going to behave myself, and I know people can dob you in and the cops come and hassel you. But unless they have cold hard evident any lawyer would get you off,if it got that far. So again I'll say don't break the law and you should be right.

But I know where you're coming from 20 years ago the cops used always pull me up in the hardtop. But now I don't get pulled up for no reason anymore, so not much has change just they crush cars now. I'd probably get pulled up alot if I drove a newer modified car, as that's what they seem to target these days. But it used to be me and my mates in monaros,toranas, XY/W/A/B's getting ran over the pits on a number of occasions.