Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 17-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
ahmcn1
Starter Motor

Default MD Mondeo Ecoboost - Normal Turbo sound?

Hi All,
I've recently noticed a whoosh sound coming from the engine bay when releasing the accelerator at low speed and below 2k rpm. I've never had a turbo car before and this sound might have been there since I've had the car from new, so is it something I should get checked out?
ahmcn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
asteele-xr6

Default Re: MD Mondeo Ecoboost - Normal Turbo sound?

Mine does that sometimes too and the odd chatter noise... I presume it's meant to do that.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
bungfritz
Starter Motor

I can sometimes hear a fluttering sound when releasing the throttle, assume its the waste gate releasing excess exhaust pressure. I find that happens when you release the throttle at low rpm as well.

Try googling wastegate sound to see if it matches what your hearing.
bungfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
jmfong
Starter Motor

Pretty sure this is normal, like bungfritz said I think it's the wastegate. I thought this was a bit strange when I first bought my Mondeo, my previous car was an Evoque with the same 2.0L Ecoboost engine and didn't make the noise. But the dealer said it's normal and they checked other Mondeos and they are the same.
jmfong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Fully sick Bro.... ;) pshhhhhhhh
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
lotusproject

bungfritz has it right. It is the wastegate blowing off. I actually like the sound as it is muted but reminds me I am driving a turbo vehicle with a fair bit of go....
lotusproject is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post