Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
FumDuk

Default Stupid AC

Well the bloody AC compressor that I got last year is a leaky B%&*CH ... Now I have the privilege of hot air blowing on me in this beautiful hot weather. Grrrrrrr

Old 09-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
REDDYZ

where is it leaking from? My AC compressor was loosing gas and I put some die in it and found die is leaking out from top of the compressor and not from lines or joints so didnt bother thinking to repair. Trying to find a new or reconditioned one. Dont want to take chances with second hand ones.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
FumDuk

I got it second hand... and it has leaked from the top of the unit, I put a can of stop-leak through the system hoping it's going to hold gas... fingers crossed
Old 10-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
REDDYZ

I tired that already. In my case, gas was leaking out in day and half. Stop-leak couldnt fix it. I think we have similar issue. Just hold on to it. I will let you know what is the cause onece I take mine off.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
FumDuk

cheers
Old 19-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
REDDYZ

Rick, I have few updates on my kitty's air con. 1). I tried second hand compressor and it didn't fix the leak. 2). Recently got the whole system checked at my mate's place and found the hose that bolts on to the compressor has a minor crack. I couldn't detect the crack with die. When we inject nitrogen we found the leak. Ordered replacement parts and waiting for them. Will update once I fit them. What happened to yours? Did you find the problem?
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
Old 23-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
FumDuk

I got lucky man, the stop-leak worked for me... so far

Good Luck mate
Old 23-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
REDDYZ

Good on you mate.. I got the parts and waiting to fit them. Probably tomorrow.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 24-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
REDDYZ

what a disaster. The new air con hoses I ordered doesn't fit my car. My kitty is off road and no car to go around.

Old 25-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
FumDuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
what a disaster. The new air con hoses I ordered doesn't fit my car. My kitty is off road and no car to go around.
:( Mate... sorry to hear, hope you get it sorted without too much more hastle
Old 25-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
REDDYZ

With not much choice, got the old hose welded and hooked up everything back together. Bad news is the hose is still leaking. Good news is my kitty is back roaring on road again and its only the hose which leaking, no other leak. I was worried about evaporator. Phew.

Old 26-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
thearrow

Surely it's possible to get a replacement hose and use the existing fittings....??
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
REDDYZ

I doubt. Its very hard to find the right hose, as difficult as finding a new compressor. Do you remember we couldn't find right a/c compressors for our cougars and had to rely on wreckers. Same thing with the hose. All the hoses out there are designed to fit the other type of a/c compressors and unfortunately our cougars are fitted with those compressors which are hard to find.

Old 28-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
baz

This might sound stupid but a few years ago i had trouble with my compressor in my 1975 celica, the workshop said they were none repairable so they fitted another compressor and all they had to do was change the bracket to make it fit.
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
REDDYZ

Its kind of complicated on this one because there is a dell on top of compressor where the hose fits. This dell sits between the compressor and hose as a guide and the bolt that holds hose and compressor together sits in between that dell. I would consider this as a last option.

Old 30-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
thearrow

What I am thinking is maybe get a mobile hose repair guy to come and have a look at it...he may be be able to remove the fittings and replace it with a new hose, it shouldn't be that hard to do I wouldn't have thought.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #17
REDDYZ

Thats a good idea but the problem is not exactly with the hose. Its the hose joint/head. Its the metal part. If it is the rubber part then its piece of cake for me. I have fitted so many transmission oil coolers so far, I know how to play with them. See the pic below, you will know where it is leaking from

1)Where the crack was and then got it welded.
2)Leaking from there after I got the hose welded. Weld was a bit dodgy.
3)Main difference between the original hose and new hose. Also the lines.