Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Purfit Car Covers

Anyone heard of or used one of these covers? I was looking at ordering a covercraft form-fit cover for my car through car accessory world but couldn't find anywhere to list Australia as the delivery country. So I gave them a call. When I mentioned it to M(N?)ick, he suggested I jump on to his covers site (purfit) and look at one of his instead. He mentioned that he thinks they are a better cover (why wouldn't he!) and they'll be cheaper than the covercraft cover.

The covercraft cover would have cost me about $1000 with postage, but the purfit cover is only $650 including postage and comes with the XR8 logo on it, which looks pretty good.

He mentioned that they used to make them for Ford/FPV as well?

Be interested in peoples thoughts/input.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 06:58 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Purfit Car Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Anyone heard of or used one of these covers? I was looking at ordering a covercraft form-fit cover for my car through car accessory world but couldn't find anywhere to list Australia as the delivery country. So I gave them a call. When I mentioned it to M(N?)ick, he suggested I jump on to his covers site (purfit) and look at one of his instead. He mentioned that he thinks they are a better cover (why wouldn't he!) and they'll be cheaper than the covercraft cover.

The covercraft cover would have cost me about $1000 with postage, but the purfit cover is only $650 including postage and comes with the XR8 logo on it, which looks pretty good.

He mentioned that they used to make them for Ford/FPV as well?

Be interested in peoples thoughts/input.
Covercraft are now sold through Car Accessory World in Australia now -

https://www.caraccessoryworld.com/fa...submodel=13156

Wow, they are out of the ballpark with pricing now. I have all my cars covered with FormFit's and they were not that expensive when I ordered them. And yes, they also made them for Ford and FPV.

I would be looking at those Purfit ones myself now -

https://purfitcovers.com/collections...42422232187051

These are options if you want to go for a more generic fit -

https://procarcovers.com.au/product/large-car-cover/
https://www.thecovershop.com.au/coll...ping-bag-large
https://carcoversandshelter.com.au/

You may also want to swap out your large aerial for a stubby unit for easier and a better-looking fitment................

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2023, 07:39 PM   #3
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Thanks DFB, I figured you'd have some input to share on the subject of car covers.

Not sure if you caught it in my op, but I tried to order from car accessory world, and the person I called pointed me in the direction of the purfit site. I guess the own/run both businesses.

Well, I've placed my order. When I was in the phone to Mick earlier today, he talked about the cover being available in blue as well as black (as per the feedback on the indoor fgx Xr8 page). I said I liked the blue so he added that to the Web page immediately for me to order.

I signed up to their newsletter and got 5% off my order, so it only came to a little under $620 delivered, which I'm pretty happy with.

Now just have to wait up to six weeks for it to get here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2023, 08:08 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Thanks DFB, I figured you'd have some input to share on the subject of car covers.

Not sure if you caught it in my op, but I tried to order from car accessory world, and the person I called pointed me in the direction of the purfit site. I guess the own/run both businesses.

Well, I've placed my order. When I was in the phone to Mick earlier today, he talked about the cover being available in blue as well as black (as per the feedback on the indoor fgx Xr8 page). I said I liked the blue so he added that to the Web page immediately for me to order.

I signed up to their newsletter and got 5% off my order, so it only came to a little under $620 delivered, which I'm pretty happy with.

Now just have to wait up to six weeks for it to get here.
Well, I guess he has jacked up the price on CoverCraft to make his options more appealing to customers.

I'm keen to hear about your thoughts when it arrives, my XR8 is probably due for a new one. Should look like this.............

As for care, I wash them in the washing machine every few months using the same detergent I use for my detailing towels, P&S Rag's To Riches or Bowden's Microfiber Cleaner.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2023, 09:16 PM   #5
ford12

Do these covers not scratch the paint unless it is very clean ?
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2023, 09:21 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
Both the cover and car need to be clean before being used.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 12:30 AM   #7
Late braker

I think it would be good if there was also an option to have one in the design of whichever Ford supercar you like the most ie. DJR Shell colour scheme with car displayed on the material or perhaps a retro design from liveries of the past (Group C, A)
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2023, 06:55 AM   #8
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
I have had a few cars ceramic coated, & was advised by both companies NOT to use a car cover of any description.They do scratch.They tend to leave micro scratches on your bodywork, & I have a had this happen..Dust is easily removed by other means without the need for a car cover.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #9
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scratches are inevitable unless you live in a vacuum, and of course it stands to reason your car and cover needs to be clean. You will find micro scratches on any car if you delve deep enough.
If you buy a good car cover , use it correctly on a clean car you will get years of use without problems, i know this may not sit well with some purists but to each their own and cars cop a lot more damage on the road tahn they do under a cover.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 07:09 PM   #10
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late braker View Post
I think it would be good if there was also an option to have one in the design of whichever Ford supercar you like the most ie. DJR Shell colour scheme with car displayed on the material or perhaps a retro design from liveries of the past (Group C, A)
I would be happy with any of these...............

Mustang GT

7 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #11
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Been meaning to get back into this thread to provide a review of the cover for ages. A cold, wet, windy morning outside is a prefect opportunity.

I ordered my cover right at the start of the year. Pleasantly, it arrived on my birthday, half way through February. Could not have planned it better if I'd tried . So, if you order one of these, be prepared to wait around 6 to 7 weeks to get your hands on it.

Purfit XR8 indoor cover review:

The cover arrived packaged with a storage bag made out of the same material as the cover, some tie down cord and some antennae grommets, even though this cover comes with an antenna sock.

The material seems to be of good standard, with a flocked pile on the reverse side. The material is reasonably thick, with the entire cover being noticeably heavier than the generic plastic like covers I've used in the past.

The cover itself is very fitted, with elasticised edging at both the front and the rear.

The cover sits much lower on the car than the generic covers I've used in the past, sitting low enough to fit well under the exhaust tips at the back.

As highlighted earlier, the cover has an antenna sock and wing mirror pockets.

I love the colour and think I like the blue better than I would the black: it's a bit more 'fordish'. I also love the Xr8 logo; it really stands out on the cover.

Not having had a style of cover like this before, it's a bit hard to say how it compares to other brands, but I'm pretty happy with it. With regard to the earlier discussion about damage from the cover, it's worth noting this cover is designed to be used indoors and would not be subject to wind and inclement weather. As has been noted, both the car and cover need to be clean to reduce the risk of any damage. Even not using a cover and cleaning the car instead has a risk associated with it, so it's up to the user to choose what suits them best.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2023, 04:05 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Been meaning to get back into this thread to provide a review of the cover for ages. A cold, wet, windy morning outside is a prefect opportunity.

I ordered my cover right at the start of the year. Pleasantly, it arrived on my birthday, half way through February. Could not have planned it better if I'd tried . So, if you order one of these, be prepared to wait around 6 to 7 weeks to get your hands on it.

Purfit XR8 indoor cover review:

The cover arrived packaged with a storage bag made out of the same material as the cover, some tie down cord and some antennae grommets, even though this cover comes with an antenna sock.

The material seems to be of good standard, with a flocked pile on the reverse side. The material is reasonably thick, with the entire cover being noticeably heavier than the generic plastic like covers I've used in the past.

The cover itself is very fitted, with elasticised edging at both the front and the rear.

The cover sits much lower on the car than the generic covers I've used in the past, sitting low enough to fit well under the exhaust tips at the back.

As highlighted earlier, the cover has an antenna sock and wing mirror pockets.

I love the colour and think I like the blue better than I would the black: it's a bit more 'fordish'. I also love the Xr8 logo; it really stands out on the cover.

Not having had a style of cover like this before, it's a bit hard to say how it compares to other brands, but I'm pretty happy with it. With regard to the earlier discussion about damage from the cover, it's worth noting this cover is designed to be used indoors and would not be subject to wind and inclement weather. As has been noted, both the car and cover need to be clean to reduce the risk of any damage. Even not using a cover and cleaning the car instead has a risk associated with it, so it's up to the user to choose what suits them best.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.
Thanks for the feedback, I think this will be where I go in the future. CoverCraft have basically priced themselves out of the market now.

In terms of care, I wash with microfiber detergent at a laundromat or in a reasonably large home washing machine. DO NOT USE POWDER DETERGENT!

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2023, 04:49 PM   #13
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I think this will be where I go in the future. CoverCraft have basically priced themselves out of the market now.

In terms of care, I wash with microfiber detergent at a laundromat or in a reasonably large home washing machine. DO NOT USE POWDER DETERGENT!

Thanks DFB, I'll keep that in mind. Altho, me being the lazy guy I am, I'm not sure how often it would get washed.

Is there a reason you use a commercial washer? Initially I thought it might be because the cover is so large, but I reckon it would not be that different in volume to a queen or king size bed linen load, which would fit into my washer comfortably.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 09-04-2023, 05:04 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks DFB, I'll keep that in mind. Altho, me being the lazy guy I am, I'm not sure how often it would get washed.

Is there a reason you use a commercial washer? Initially I thought it might be because the cover is so large, but I reckon it would not be that different in volume to a queen or king size bed linen load, which would fit into my washer comfortably.
I initially struggled to fit them into our washing machine, so was taking them to a laundromat, they are quite large and made from a heavier weight fabric. The last time I washed them, I run them through the machine at home. I do this every 6 months or so.
Mustang GT

Old 11-04-2023, 01:30 PM   #15
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Beautiful, looks exactly like my covercraft ones. Might be worth getting some wheel covers to stop the tyre shine product going onto the cover now too. They are a pain to put on but keep the cover much cleaner.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2023, 08:34 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Beautiful, looks exactly like my covercraft ones. Might be worth getting some wheel covers to stop the tyre shine product going onto the cover now too. They are a pain to put on but keep the cover much cleaner.
OMG, what a great idea! For once, it's not me directing others how to spend their money!

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...c98811dd&_ss=r
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...d17a0c88&_ss=r

These ones are on sale at the moment...........

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/ca...21756888940633
Mustang GT

Old 12-04-2023, 12:54 PM   #17
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
OMG, what a great idea! For once, it's not me directing others how to spend their money!

https://www.detailstore.com.au/produ...c98811dd&_ss=r
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...d17a0c88&_ss=r

These ones are on sale at the moment...........

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/ca...21756888940633
My initial thought was "Wow, hadn't thought of that! Good idea." Then I thought to myself if a simple piece of cardboard cut to size would be just as effective and cheaper.

Then I saw your post DFB, and I realised that a few pieces of cardboard is going to be far more likely in my garage than those commercially available products at that price! Even on special, a set of wheel covers would be about a third of the price of the cover itself

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2023, 02:27 PM   #18
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
My initial thought was "Wow, hadn't thought of that! Good idea." Then I thought to myself if a simple piece of cardboard cut to size would be just as effective and cheaper.

Then I saw your post DFB, and I realised that a few pieces of cardboard is going to be far more likely in my garage than those commercially available products at that price! Even on special, a set of wheel covers would be about a third of the price of the cover itself
Waxit is $64 for the set of 4, I thought that was pretty cheap.

Personally i'm not sold on car covers. I used a covercraft one on my old T3 and it caused micro scratching from where the seams met the felt on the join points. That was enough for me, now I just let them get dusty. Appreciate not everyone is as OCD and they do a very good job at keeping the dust off.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:46 PM   #19
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Oh, yep, you're right fordo. I'd missed that bit What do they say about men and their ability to multitask?!?

Quote:
Personally i'm not sold on car covers. I used a covercraft one on my old T3 and it caused micro scratching from where the seams met the felt on the join points. That was enough for me, now I just let them get dusty. Appreciate not everyone is as OCD and they do a very good job at keeping the dust off.
Yeah, I get it. I just can't stand having a clean car that gets covered in dust a week after I've given it a tub. The wind here in Gippsland can be pretty bad at times, and that means there's a lot more dust flying around than there might be at other places, even if the car is stored in the garage. For me, it's the lesser of two evils.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2023, 03:04 PM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

yes the 4 pack price is reasonable for those inclined, I couldn't be bothered.

I'm with you re the carcovers, got a few hardly use em, got sick and tired pretty much like carbras as well.
I enjoy washing the dust off for its few and far between some drives.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-02-2024, 03:21 PM   #21
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Purfit have an extra 10% off all covers atm to celebrate their new website, in case anyone is interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post: