Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2024, 03:43 PM   #1
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 302 Windsor into an ZD Falcon.

Hi Guys,
Seeing that the V8's only came from the factory as Clevelands...would I need an engineer's certificate to install it into a factory 6cyl car?....in Victoria

Last edited by malbaby; 22-02-2024 at 04:07 PM.
malbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2024, 03:59 PM   #2
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 302 Windsor into an ZD Falcon.

Are we talking ZD Fairlane or XD Falcon ? Typo ??

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2024, 06:59 AM   #3
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oooops...XD Falcon.
Old 23-02-2024, 08:02 AM   #4
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbaby View Post
Hi Guys,
Seeing that the V8's only came from the factory as Clevelands...would I need an engineer's certificate to install it into a factory 6cyl car?....in Victoria
I believe the car would need to pass an Emissions Test.
From memory I believe ADR27A is the relevant design rule for an XD era built vehicle.

If the 302 Windsor is from the late 60's I think it would be pretty difficult to get the engine to pass the emissions test.

I don't know if this is an urban myth, I read that if you fit an engine designed for a later model car to an older car the car has to pass the emissions regulations at the time of the engine manufacture.
If the Windsor engine was built for a Car from the EB to AU era then your XD would have to pass the relevant emissions test from that era.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2024, 11:54 AM   #5
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
I don't know if this is an urban myth, I read that if you fit an engine designed for a later model car to an older car the car has to pass the emissions regulations at the time of the engine manufacture.
If the Windsor engine was built for a Car from the EB to AU era then your XD would have to pass the relevant emissions test from that era.
Thinking about this, I seem to think it might be the other way around. The car body is fitted with the compliance plate which stipulates what ADR's the vehicle was built to comply with. Wouldn't it be the case that the fitting of a later model engine would therefore mean that it would only have to comply with the ADR's for that car as per the compliance plate?
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2024, 07:13 PM   #6
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. The engine has to comply with the emissions for the engine and has to be the same year or later than the car and evaporative emissions (fuel tank venting) need to comply with the age of the car and an engine from an unleaded fuel car needs to have a fuel fill pipe that will only take an unleaded filler. it would also need an exhaust catalytic convertor or 2. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2024, 07:47 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In the end, it might be easier to sell the Windsor and just put together a nice Cleveland for the car
with all emissions and Thermoquad to get past the emissions declaration as it was legal engine option
for that vehicle. Some uploaded Ford manuals here on the site under Tech Resources guide you.

If you’re determined to go the Windsor route, maybe talk to an authorised engineer first before
you commit too far, they might also offer some good suggestion on what to do to comply and get more power.

Last edited by jpd80; 23-02-2024 at 07:56 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2024, 08:55 AM   #8
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys...very helpful.
Old 25-02-2024, 02:37 AM   #9
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. The engine has to comply with the emissions for the engine and has to be the same year or later than the car and evaporative emissions (fuel tank venting) need to comply with the age of the car and an engine from an unleaded fuel car needs to have a fuel fill pipe that will only take an unleaded filler. it would also need an exhaust catalytic convertor or 2. Cheers MD
Correct, except the filler pipe that was only in place until leaded was phased out.

Mal, is it a old school 302 or 5.0?
If Im remembering correctly the 5.0 inlet manifold fowled on the heater pipes or something like that.
Old 25-02-2024, 09:42 AM   #10
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
Correct, except the filler pipe that was only in place until leaded was phased out.

Mal, is it a old school 302 or 5.0?
If Im remembering correctly the 5.0 inlet manifold fowled on the heater pipes or something like that.
Same as me old skool.