Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #31
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Default Re: The 'Automotive Environmental' Thread - Electric Cars/Fuel Quality/Alternative Fuel

Kmav23, and this is not a personal dig but a real question of interest as ur the biggest supporter of all electric,
1 what part of Australia do you live in
2 is your home totally self sufficient ie off the grid or do you use mainstream power also
3 given that wind turbines and solar power alone cannot power everyone's home how do you suggest we get our power

Disclaimer, when I looked at going solar a number of reps clearly told me this was not a option for my home as my only north facing roof was too small to make any panels viable and that I'd be better off on the grid, so yes, I'm a grid whore and will be for life
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #32
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The 'Automotive Environmental' Thread - Electric Cars/Fuel Quality/Alternative Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
A second article of interest was Labours plans to introduce another new car tax of between $1500 and $5000 per new car sold stating that this tax is cost effective due to the petrol savings over 10 years which should equate to approx $8,500 that hybrids etc will save in fuel, so correct me if I'm wrong but labours plans are to make you pay extra tax for buying a fuel efficient vehicle,
Yep that's what Shortens genius plan will entail.

Another article in todays West with the headline " Tradies to Get Nasty Electric Shock"

Basically outlines Shortens plan will mean Tradies updating to a new Hilux etc in the future means it will cost them an additonal $5k in tax.

All this due to climate change launacy when nothing Australia can do will make any meaningful contribution yet many seem to be prepared to accept this dumbarse policy and pay threw the nose for zero results. Countries would be laughing at our stupidity.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #33
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Herald sun today ran a article re melbourne's new hi tech tram fleet, summary of that article is that due to introduction of these new trams, the network needs 20 new substations built as the current systems cannot supply enough power, as a result these substations are being built in residential areas with the first completed one copping fines off the EPA as the hum they produce is past acceptable levels for local residents, so my real point is this , if we can't currently supply enough power to adequately part of our public transport network, how the hell are we gonna do it for every household with a electric car?
This would be figured out by the smart engineers, as the world uses more electricity every year.

50 years ago we used a tiny fraction of electricity, it will be easily solved its not that complex.

In Norway 60% of their new cars are EVs, their grid is ok.

Shenzen China it has converted all 22,000 taxis and 16,000 buses to electric !!!

Have a look at the smartphones 10 years ago.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #34
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Kmav23, and this is not a personal dig but a real question of interest as ur the biggest supporter of all electric,
1 what part of Australia do you live in
2 is your home totally self sufficient ie off the grid or do you use mainstream power also
3 given that wind turbines and solar power alone cannot power everyone's home how do you suggest we get our power

Disclaimer, when I looked at going solar a number of reps clearly told me this was not a option for my home as my only north facing roof was too small to make any panels viable and that I'd be better off on the grid, so yes, I'm a grid whore and will be for life
I live in Sydney.

The uptake of solar and batteries is booming now to record installation levels.

Yes it does not apply to every single house or situation.
Actually people with solar and batteries would benefit to stay connected to sell their excess power during peak demand time which is happening now.

When batteries come down in price you can install just the battery and charge during off peak prices to save on peak prices.
Old 15-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #35
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
This would be figured out by the smart engineers, as the world uses more electricity every year.

50 years ago we used a tiny fraction of electricity, it will be easily solved its not that complex.

Shenzen China it has converted all 22,000 taxis and 16,000 buses to electric !!!

kmav, you said this in another thread.

Norway's grid and Australia's grid(s) do not compare and this goes for China's as well.

I'll concede that things like solar and wind will help ease that demand on our grid but it is not going to be enough for the demand that EV's will create.

You have to admit, that if everyone in Australia was to buy an EV tomorrow the grid would not cope.

Considering this, when do you think Australia will be ready for everyone to own EVs?

Quote:

Not being smart but if it is not that complex, then try and explain to someone as dumb as me.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #36
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
kmav,

Not being smart but if it is not that complex, then try and explain to someone as dumb as me.

^^^^^^^^^^^Plus one to This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 11:07 PM   #37
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
kmav, you said this in another thread.

Norway's grid and Australia's grid(s) do not compare and this goes for China's as well.

I'll concede that things like solar and wind will help ease that demand on our grid but it is not going to be enough for the demand that EV's will create.

You have to admit, that if everyone in Australia was to buy an EV tomorrow the grid would not cope.

Considering this, when do you think Australia will be ready for everyone to own EVs?

100% EV is not going to happen overnight, there is plenty of time.

To phase out all ice cars will take 20 years, if we stop selling new Ice cars by 2030.

20 years ago Australia has a population of 20 million and people were saying how are we going to handle more people in Australia ?

What about the infrastructure and schools etc blah blah...

We have now an extra 5 million people in Australia.

So in 20 years Australia was able to handle the increase electricity usage of 5 million more people plus people use more electricity overall now.

Other countries have had even greater increases in populations in cities.

Last edited by kmav23; 15-04-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 15-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #38
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
100% EV is not going to happen overnight, there is plenty of time.

To phase out all ice cars will take 20 years, if we stop selling new Ice cars by 2030.

20 years ago Australia has a population of 20 million and people were saying how are we going to handle more people in Australia ?

What about the infrastructure and schools etc blah blah...

We have now an extra 5 million people in Australia.

So in 20 years Australia was able to handle the increase electricity usage of 5 million more people plus people use more electricity overall now.

Other countries have had even greater increases in populations in cities.
Granted, that is all true about population increases etc and what we were saying 20 years ago.

Do you think that it will take 20 years though to make petrol/diesel cars almost obsolete? I am thinking more like 10 years, 15 years absolute maximum.

The reason I am thinking that the changeover will happen sooner is that once EVs become mainstream Governments are going to tax the hell out of fuel and diesel due to trying to maintain their tax stream and pressure from environmental/green groups. Also, as more EVs come on line, it will become less and less convenient for people to own, fuel and maintain petrol/diesel cars. The only thing I could see stopping from people from changing over will be the resale of their fossil fuelled vehicles.

Even if as you say by 2050 99% of Australia own EVs I still don't think that with our current crop of political leaders that we will have the infrastructure and/or systems in place for this sort of timeline.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #39
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
I live in Sydney.

The uptake of solar and batteries is booming now to record installation levels.

Yes it does not apply to every single house or situation.
Actually people with solar and batteries would benefit to stay connected to sell their excess power during peak demand time which is happening now.

When batteries come down in price you can install just the battery and charge during off peak prices to save on peak prices.
Sorry but I don't work off what if's

What if the power companies become greedy and stop off peak rates?
What if they gouge consumers as they now have a larger monopoly without petrol about?
What if petrol companies band together and create a new clean fuel?
What if governments are now in plans with power companies and will get more $$ from underhanded payments from the companies to force people into ev?
Wha if my petrol gussler becomes a million dollar collect able?
What if there was no gang culture in victoria?
What if the greens never existed?

See, lots of what ifs can be put out there but they mean fark all in the here and now if they can't be backed up
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 16-04-2019, 12:38 AM   #40
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry but I don't work off what if's

What if the power companies become greedy and stop off peak rates?
What if they gouge consumers as they now have a larger monopoly without petrol about?
What if petrol companies band together and create a new clean fuel?
What if governments are now in plans with power companies and will get more $$ from underhanded payments from the companies to force people into ev?
Wha if my petrol gussler becomes a million dollar collect able?
What if there was no gang culture in victoria?
What if the greens never existed?

See, lots of what ifs can be put out there but they mean fark all in the here and now if they can't be backed up
Okay install an underground bomb shelter and buy some MREs, the world is going to collapse with the introduction of EVs.
Old 16-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #41
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Granted, that is all true about population increases etc and what we were saying 20 years ago.

Do you think that it will take 20 years though to make petrol/diesel cars almost obsolete? I am thinking more like 10 years, 15 years absolute maximum.

The reason I am thinking that the changeover will happen sooner is that once EVs become mainstream Governments are going to tax the hell out of fuel and diesel due to trying to maintain their tax stream and pressure from environmental/green groups. Also, as more EVs come on line, it will become less and less convenient for people to own, fuel and maintain petrol/diesel cars. The only thing I could see stopping from people from changing over will be the resale of their fossil fuelled vehicles.

Even if as you say by 2050 99% of Australia own EVs I still don't think that with our current crop of political leaders that we will have the infrastructure and/or systems in place for this sort of timeline.
I really think you guys are worrying too much about the grid.
In California there has been 500,000 EVs sold so far!

Their grid is okay.
Old 16-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #42
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
I really think you guys are worrying too much about the grid.
In California there has been 500,000 EVs sold so far!

Their grid is okay.
Again, how about some Aussie power grid references

Callifornia's grid as below

Natural gas-fired power plants typically account for more than one-half of in-state electricity generation. California is one of the largest hydroelectric power producers in the United States, and with adequate rainfall, hydroelectric power typically accounts for close to one-fifth of State electricity generation. Due to strict emission laws, only one coal-fired power plant still operates in California, the 63 MW Argus Cogeneration plant in San Bernardino County.[2]

California leads the nation in electricity generation from non-hydroelectric renewable energy sources, including geothermal power, wind power, and solar power. California has some of the most aggressive renewable energy goals in the United States.[3] The state is required to obtain at least 33% of its electricity from renewable resources by 2020, and 50% by 2030, excluding large hydro.[4][5]Solar Energy Generating Systems (SEGS) is the name given to nine solar power plants in the Mojave Desert which were built in the 1980s. These plants have a combined capacity of 354 megawatts (MW) making them at one time the largest solar power installation in the world.[6] Other large solar plants in the Mojave Desert include the 392 MW Ivanpah Solar Power Facility,[7] opened in 2014, and the 550 MW Desert Sunlight Solar Farm and 579 MW Solar Star, both completed in 2015. The Alta Wind Energy Center in the Tehachapi Mountains is the largest wind power plant in the United States with 1,548 MW installed capacity.[8] A facility known as “The Geysers,” located in the Mayacamas Mountains north of San Francisco, is the largest group of geothermal power plants in the world, with more than 750 MW of installed capacity. California’s hydroelectric power potential ranks second in the United States (behind Washington State), and substantial geothermal and wind power resources are found along the coastal mountain ranges and the eastern border with Nevada. High solar power potential is found in southeastern California’s deserts.

Natural gas is half of their suppy and oh wait, hydro Is one fifth

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 16-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #43
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
……….20 years ago Australia has a population of 20 million and people were saying how are we going to handle more people in Australia ?...………….We have now an extra 5 million people in Australia...………………….So in 20 years Australia was able to handle the increase electricity usage of 5 million more people plus people use more electricity overall now.
Are you for real. 20 years ago to now we had increases in coal fired power stations etc etc so this extra 5 million peoples electrical needs were nothing in the scheme of things.

But now ideological idiots are closing these down but we will still need more electricity for further population increases and now for freaking EV charging. Where's all that coming from Einstein.

And don't come up with renewables as you just have to look at SA for a classic example of what NOT to do in relation to the renewable energy BS "bandwagon industry".
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #44
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
Are you for real. 20 years ago to now we had increases in coal fired power stations etc etc so this extra 5 million peoples electrical needs were nothing in the scheme of things.

But now ideological idiots are closing these down but we will still need more electricity for further population increases and now for freaking EV charging. Where's all that coming from Einstein.

And don't come up with renewables as you just have to look at SA for a classic example of what NOT to do in relation to the renewable energy BS "bandwagon industry".
Renewables were not the problem is SA. The battery has been a real winner in SA as well. Coal plants are closing around the world, renewables are getting cheaper. Eventually all will be closed in Australia as we have plenty of renewable sources.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #45
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
The reason I am thinking that the changeover will happen sooner is that once EVs become mainstream Governments are going to tax the hell out of fuel and diesel due to trying to maintain their tax stream
You'll be just like us smokers. Welcome and enjoy the reaming...
Old 16-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #46
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

If only they could invent a car that runs on my sense of disappointment in the world. It would probably be too powerful to control though.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #47
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

If only all those lane clogging no road tax paying cyclists could move off roads and use their Lycra skills for good as in creating energy of the benefit of the massess

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If only we had Politicians with enough intestinal fortitude to build Nuclear power plants like other parts of the world.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/informa...worldwide.aspx

Power reactors under construction

Start † Reactor Model Gross MWe
2019 Belarus, BNPP Ostrovets 1 VVER-1200 1194
2019 China, CGN Fangchenggang 3 Hualong One 1180
2019 China, CGN Hongyanhe 5 ACPR-1000 1119
2019 China, CGN Yangjiang 6 ACPR-1000 1086
2019 China, CNNC Fuqing 5 Hualong One 1150
2019 China, China Huaneng Shidaowan HTR-PM 210
2019 China, CGN Taishan 2 EPR 1750
2019 Finland, TVO Olkiluoto 3 EPR 1720
2019 France, EDF Flamanville 3 EPR 1650
2019 Korea, KHNP Shin Kori 4 APR1400 1400
2019 Korea, KHNP Shin Hanul 1 APR1400 1400
2019 Russia, Rosenergoatom Pevek FNPP KLT40S x 2 70
2019 Russia, Rosenergoatom Novovoronezh II-2 VVER-1200 1200
2019 Slovakia, SE Mochovce 3 VVER-440 471

2020 Belarus, BNPP Ostrovets 2 VVER-1200 1194
2020 China, CGN Hongyanhe 6 ACPR-1000 1119
2020 China, CGN Fangchenggang 4 Hualong One 1180
2020 China, CNNC Tianwan 5 ACPR-1000 1118
2020 China, CNNC Fuqing 6 Hualong One 1150
2020 China, CGN Bohai shipyard ACPR50S 60
2020 India, Bhavini Kalpakkam PFBR FBR 500
2020 Japan, Chugoku Shimane 3 ABWR 1373
2020 Korea, KHNP Shin Hanul 2 APR1400 1400
2020 Slovakia, SE Mochovce 4 VVER-440 471
2020 UAE, ENEC Barakah 1 APR1400 1400
2020 UAE, ENEC Barakah 2 APR1400 1400

2021 Argentina, CNEA Carem25 Carem 29
2021 China, CNNC Tianwan 6 ACPR-1000 1118
2021 Pakistan Karachi/KANUPP 2 ACP1000 1100
2021 USA, Southern Vogtle 3 AP1000 1250
2021 UAE, ENEC Barakah 3 APR1400 1400
2021 UAE, ENEC Barakah 4 APR1400 1400

2022 India, NPCIL Kakrapar 3 PHWR-700 700
2022 India, NPCIL Kakrapar 4 PHWR-700 700
2022 India, NPCIL Rajasthan 7 PHWR-700 700
2022 India, NPCIL Rajasthan 8 PHWR-700 700
2022 Pakistan Karachi/KANUPP 3 ACP1000 1100
2022 Russia, Rosenergoatom Kursk II-1 VVER-TOI 1255
2022 Russia, Rosenergoatom Leningrad II-2 VVER-1200 1199
2022 USA, Southern Vogtle 4 AP1000 1250

2023 Bangladesh Rooppur 1 VVER-1200 1200
2023 China, CNNC Xiapu 1 CFR600 600
2023 Korea, KHNP Shin Kori 5 APR1400 1400
2023 Turkey Akkuyu 1 VVER-1200 1200

2024 Bangladesh Rooppur 2 VVER-1200 1200
2024 Korea, KHNP Shin Kori 6 APR1400 1400

2025 India, NPCIL Kudankulam 3 VVER-1000 1050
2025 UK, EDF Hinkley Point C1 EPR 1720

2026 India, NPCIL Kudankulam 4 VVER-1000 1050
2026 Japan, EPDC Ohma 1 ABWR 1383
Old 16-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #49
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
If only we had Politicians with enough intestinal fortitude to build Nuclear power plants like other parts of the world.

No one wants to live near nuclear reactors.

Australians donīt want nuclear.

Terrorism, accidents and nuclear waste lasting thousands of years.

Chernobyl and Fukushima... no thanks

I prefer my fish and children not to have 2 heads.
Old 16-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #50
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
You'll be just like us smokers. Welcome and enjoy the reaming...
There is a solution to that
All this talk about electrikory cars makes me think when is the right time to off load my environment destroying petroleum guzzling pre pollution V8...
Oh and I enjoy a good piece ribeye steak as well.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #51
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...n-study-finds/

Seven years on, radioactive water at Fukushima plant still flowing into ocean, study finds. More than seven years after the March 2011 Fukushima nuclear crisis, radioactive water is continuing to flow into the Pacific Ocean from the crippled No. 1 plant at a rate of around 2 billion becquerels a day, a study has found.
Old 16-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #52
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
There is a solution to that
All this talk about electrikory cars makes me think when is the right time to off load my environment destroying petroleum guzzling pre pollution V8...
Oh and I enjoy a good piece ribeye steak as well.
Steak tonight, get rid of the car tomorrow, cause the market will collapse.

We should all invest in Pig Farms and run the world on Methane, cures hunger, gives kids something to do, creates power, and....... makes BACON.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #53
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUNPMPrxvA

President Camacho : "Number 1: We've got this guy Not Sure. Number 2: He's got a higher IQ than ANY MAN ALIVE. and Number 3: He's going to fix EVERYTHING."
Old 16-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #54
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Renewables were not the problem is SA. The battery has been a real winner in SA as well. Coal plants are closing around the world, renewables are getting cheaper. Eventually all will be closed in Australia as we have plenty of renewable sources.
Renewables are getting cheaper, yes. However coal plants are on a net increase, a massive increase. Why? China and India. If you believe in the link between CO2 and global warming/climate change; and if you believe that the upper level CO2 emission levels will lead to climate catastrophe, then we're toast, no matter what Australia does.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/c...buildup-2018-9

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45640706

https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-...y_2679901.html
Old 16-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #55
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Renewables are getting cheaper, yes. However coal plants are on a net increase, a massive increase. Why? China and India. If you believe in the link between CO2 and global warming/climate change; and if you believe that the upper level CO2 emission levels will lead to climate catastrophe, then we're toast, no matter what Australia does.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/c...buildup-2018-9

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45640706

https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-...y_2679901.html

Very true on the increased power plants run by coal, our governments are eager to export our coal reserves to India & China for peanuts, same as our gas reserves being exported and sold for peanuts.
We are the joke of the world and the gullible believe all the B.S. uttered from the mouths of political masters.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #56
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Very true on the increased power plants run by coal, our governments are eager to export our coal reserves to India & China for peanuts, same as our gas reserves being exported and sold for peanuts.
We are the joke of the world and the gullible believe all the B.S. uttered from the mouths of political masters.
They sell for what price they can get.

Prices are determined what the market is willing to pay at that time.
Old 16-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #57
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really, tell that to the bucket load of people in Sydney who have been living next to one for a long.time.

It is ridiculous that Australia has enormous reserves of uranium but we ship it out yet we will have major future power supply problems.

Why each State doesn't have its own mini reactor is just crazy. Bloody hell even US Subs and gigantic carriers run on nuclear reactors with no issues and they never need to dock for refuelling, unlike our pathetic diesel subs.

Renewables will never be able to fully power earth and those that think so are living in a dream.

Quote:
............….as we have plenty of renewable sources.
Name them.
Old 16-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

They tried to hike taxes on diesel and ban diesel cars in France and look what that started when people realised they were going to get the pinecone with no lube:

If the Government tries to hike fuel prices massively prior to them becoming mainstream/viable under some BS environmental excuse people will crack the ****s big time.

In my opinion its not happening before 2050 here unless there is exponential leaps and bounds in battery technology and power infrastructure in Australia.

We cant even have a train line prior to 2045 from Melbourne CBD to Melbourne Airport because we sold our soul to Transurban and NBN is still going after only a single government change a term in before the dismantled it.

Unless you get rid of 3 year election cycles in Australia and overhaul our political system, we can't do long term infrastructure projects exceeding two election cycles.

Voting doesn't overhaul political systems, history shows the only way political systems change is by violence.

You won't ever be able to pull of massive infrastructure projects like China can knock out hand over fist, they have a one party state and they do what they want without opposition - the byproduct of our democracy is that we spend much more time arguing on the fringes than actually building things.

If you're going to pull off long term infrastructure projects you need a government to go a few terms with a significant majority in both houses with a leader who can control the party with an iron fist - so far we've had like 36 prime ministers in the last decade with two major political parties with factions who don't see eye to eye with each other.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-04-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #59
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

[QUOTE=kmav23;6283095]No one wants to live near nuclear reactors.

Might wanna follow your own advise then as I have no issues with nuclear power, it's better powering our cities then available going into weapons
Just substitute ev with nuclear power ;)

Okay install an underground bomb shelter and buy some MREs, the world is going to collapse with the introduction of EVs.

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 16-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #60
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting read.

Quote:
Saudi Arabia's oil reserves, which it has almost exclusive access to, are also vast. The country holds more than 263 billion barrels of proven oil underground.
https://theworldnews.net/au-news/oil...-years-to-come

Not a luddite when it comes to EV's but I still enjoy the gasoline powered Falcon
2 users like this post: