Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 28-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
crazylady

Default Accelerator Cables faulty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, not sure if this is the place to post this or not, so appologies if not. I am looking for some advice on Accellerator cables, and if anyone knows what causes certain problems.

I had cause to replace the accellerator cable in my '84 Telstar AR back in February. I bought and installed a non genuine cable from AutoBarn, and then 2 weeks ago today, it seized while driving on the open highway at 100 klms an hour. I was in a rural area so had to ring a friend who could only locate a Genuine cable from the local Ford Dealers. That cable was installed, I returned the non genuine cable and was given a full refund as it proved to be a manufacturing fault, and I had no further problems.
Then on Sunday the GENUINE FORD part too seized, but it had been after standing overnight. I had driven the car the day before, parked it, and when I got into it in the morning, it wasnt going to go anywhere, the cable was stuck in the "idle" position. (It had lasted 2 weeks)
SO....... a wait till Monday morning, and my car (on a traytop truck) and I were taken to the Ford Dealer who had sold me the cable 2 weeks ago. They agreed it had been a faulty cable and replaced it for me at no cost, of course.
GREAT so far!!
I left the Ford Dealership, and drove back to my hometown, parked my car in my carport last night, and Tuesday morning,
THE NEW GENUINE FORD PART HAD SEIZED!!!!!
THIS one had only lasted me less than 24 hours.
It is now in the hands of the Ford Dealership here in my hometown, who say THAT cable was also faulty. Their mechanic will be here this morning to fit yet ANOTHER cable for me, making this a total of 3 Genuine parts, and one Non genuine part in the space of 7 months

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?
Is there anyway I can be sure it wont happen again?
Does anyone know who actually manufactures the "FORD GENUINE PARTS" ??? Could it possibly be the same company who manfactured the NON genuine cable? And I have just been unlucky enough to cop 3 in a row from a bad batch??
I did ring Ford Customer Care in Melbourne about it Tuesday morning, but was told to contact a Dealer in my home town, and Customer Care told me they could not divulge the manufacturer's name and it was priveleged info. He also told me that "like any moving part, the cable needs to be lubricated"........ sorry, but after 30+ years of driving and never haveing had ANY problems with accellerator cables before, I find this hard to believe.
It cannot be blamed on fitting, since the last one was fitted by a Ford Dealership Mechanic. Nor can it be blamed on being the wrong part......
Any thoughts or suggestions????? (besides the box of matches, of course. It (the car) may be old, but I enjoy my car). But this is downright dangerous.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
TX5 GT
Sold one of the Telstars

hmmmmmmmmm seems awfully familiar :P I saw this on MX.co
CAI - SUNROOF - ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION - SOUND SYSTEM - CRONOS FRONT END - 4SPEED AUTO - 15PSI - EXHAUST - FRONT MOUNT COOLER - HEAVY DUTY BANDS - TORSEN LSD - DYNOED AT 145KW ATW @ 6000RPM everything after 4 speed auto is a typo
TX5 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post