Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #61
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
You are right, it it is as smooth as punchy down low as the F6 and as fuel efficient then the market for the F6 will be killed pretty much stone dead. The current market for the F6 grew out of people not happy with the performance of the 8, so if the stock blower install does that reliably then yes the F6 may as well be discontinued. And the XR6T engine would then be best used in cheaper larger volume cars.
Nope

I reckon the F6 will still be much cheaper to produce as an overall package and will be at a price point much lower than a S/C V8 offering. FPV would be mad to cut it. Not everyone will be happy to fork out 80+ K for a S/C Falcon ????

The F6 deserves its place in the line up. I imagine it would also be a walk in the park to keep upping the power figures reliably for the F6 to keep it at the pointy end of the performance market.

Regardless.........I think the old addage stands here.......an F6 buyer is a TURBO buyer and will not necessarily go buy the S/C V8. Just like us BOSS owners haven't gone out and bought the F6 regardless of the performance gap. They'd more than likely leave the FPV camp altogether...........Not Good for FPV

Last edited by Whitey-AMG; 17-06-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #62
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I agree with a lot of that, including your early points that contradict me. But I think it is unreliastic to classify F6 buyers as Turbo buyers.... For some of us the F6 is the smallest engined car they had ever owned. Also I think a fair proportion of us have always had V8s but when something better came along we didn't allow our history to cloud our judgement when choosing something new. I think the opinion that F6 buyers are turbo only boys is somewhat unrealstic.
Old 17-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #63
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
You are right, it it is as smooth as punchy down low as the F6 and as fuel efficient then the market for the F6 will be killed pretty much stone dead. The current market for the F6 grew out of people not happy with the performance of the 8, so if the stock blower install does that reliably then yes the F6 may as well be discontinued. And the XR6T engine would then be best used in cheaper larger volume cars.
Well said...
A F6 customer is mostly a customer that wasn't happy with the other "Preferred" options..

Old 17-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #64
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

what would the insurance be on a supercharged GT compared to a FG F6?How many numbers do you think they will produce?the F6 is a very reliable package for the capabilitys of the car,lets wait and see if the S/C GT can match that before we start talking about killing off fords biggest bombshell since the early GTs.By the way i own to V8s as well so no bias in my driveway,and their holdens :
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #65
burnz
VFII SS UTE

alloy motor which is good for better steering and economy.

will there be a power war of old??
will the media say bullets on wheels again??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #66
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBA
now we v8 owners can go to the tune shop and pick up 50rwkw with tune only... this wont make the f6 redundant but will leave no reason to buy the f6.
There are many reasons why I bought the F6. Yes performance was important but more so, I don't want a burbling noisy V8 waking up my neigbours when I come home late at night. Im not interested in the look at me sound. And to say that the Supercharged V8 will have just as good economy as the F6 is a bit odd and a bit premature. Lots of people want a quiet big family car that will give you a rush when you stick your foot down. I disagree that the F6 byer is a Turbo buyer. This F6 is the first turbo I have owned and I did almost buy a V8. But it was just too noisy. Yes the sound is great but unlike alot of you guys, I didn't want to put up with it all the time as my daily driver. (however I must admit the noisy V8 reasoning for buying the F6 came in retrospect after I had owned the F6 for a week or so)
Hell. I can stick my foot down in my F6 with the kids asleep in the back and not be worried about waking them up (within the speed limit of course)

Now don't get me wrong (again) I'm not bashing the supercharged V8 at all. I think it will be fantastic. But I think there will still be a market for the F6. And as a previous poster said. Theres tonnes of potential for tuning with the F6. The Engine isn't anywhere near it's limits.
Old 17-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #67
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Well said...
A F6 customer is mostly a customer that wasn't happy with the other "Preferred" options..
Agreed 100%. I have always had V8's and only just got into a blown 6.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #68
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I'd like to see some official market research that suggests the F6 following and acceptance was merely born out of the lack of a decent V8 option.

I strongly disagree with that notion.

The BOSS V8 isn't a complete pile of , it has actually sold quite well, is no slouch under most circumstances, and from 302-315kW guise is a considerable step up from the first BOSS release. It's a good performer in anybody's language.

Owners of the BOSS V8 tend to really enjoy them, so I can't see how that argument is valid. The BOSS has been good enough to attract a fair market share.

The F6 certainly has a place in the lineup as far as I can tell, has a mix of buyers and I think would always have an attraction to certain market demographics that the V8 will not (and the same applies to the V8).
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #69
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I'd like to see some official market research that suggests the F6 following and acceptance was merely born out of the lack of a decent V8 option.

The BOSS V8 isn't a complete pile of , it has actually sold quite well, is no slouch under most circumstances, and from 302-315kW guise is a considerable step up from the first BOSS release. It's a good performer in anybody's language.

Owners of the BOSS V8 tend to really enjoy them, so I can't see how that argument is valid. The BOSS has been good enough to attract a fair market share.

The F6 certainly has a place in the lineup as far as I can tell, has a mix of buyers and I think would always have an attraction to certain market demographics that the V8 will not (and the same applies to the V8).
Well said.
Old 17-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #70
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you read through the various threads doing the rounds there is an undeniable growing "groundswell" of enthusiasm from current turbo owners admitting that after having owned 1 for a while it just doesn't do it for them and they miss their "V8".
These people are eagerly looking forward to returning to the GT if its as good as it sounds... (pardon the pun!)
"Hate" it all you like but its a fact.

Old 17-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #71
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

Spot on.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #72
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
If you read through the various threads doing the rounds there is an undeniable growing "groundswell" of enthusiasm from current turbo owners admitting that after having owned 1 for a while it just doesn't do it for them and they miss their "V8".
These people are eagerly looking forward to returning to the GT if its as good as it sounds... (pardon the pun!)
I do understand what these F6 owners are talking about, I have owned V8s b4. The V8s power delivery is a kick in the back where as the Turbo is a surge. But I like the surge. It doesnt wake the kids as easily as the kick lol.

PS. Although it would be nice to think so, not every F6 owner writes in forums. Those that do would more likely be enthusiasts and as such, would care about the lack of V8 feel.
Old 17-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #73
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
I do understand what these F6 owners are talking about, I have owned V8s b4. The V8s power delivery is a kick in the back where as the Turbo is a surge. But I like the surge. It doesnt wake the kids as easily as the kick lol.
Shh..! if my wife reads that i'll be stuck with a G6ET rather than a new GT!!

Old 17-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #74
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Shh..! if my wife reads that i'll be stuck with a G6ET rather than a new GT!!
ooooh a bloke secret huh? ok sorry I'll shut up about the kids stuff now lol.
Old 17-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #75
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
true you will find this in threads,but in now way majority wise turbo owners are dissapointed and think the only option is a "V8"(to solve their so called problems)dont always beleive what you hear,only what i type : in the same breath tough i wish i had my auntys breeze BF GT. :sm_drool:

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 17-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 17-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #76
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Who's hating what???

The proof will be in the sales when the new models are released. Up until now though, the F6 has its rightful place against a V8 product that is by no means a failure. That's my point.

If the V8 sales suddenly pick up significantly and F6 plummets, then the writing will be on the wall for F6, fair enough. But another deciding factor will be how FPV decide to position the F6 from a marketing/pricing point of view when the new 8 is here. If they do it right, I'm sure they can retain a flexible lineup that offers to the broader consumer several performance options. If they can do this profitably without much compromise, I would be a supporter of it.
Old 17-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #77
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who's hating what???

The proof will be in the sales when the new models are released. Up until now though, the F6 has its rightful place against a V8 product that is by no means a failure. That's my point.

If the V8 sales suddenly pick up significantly and F6 plummets, then the writing will be on the wall for F6, fair enough. But another deciding factor will be how FPV decide to position the F6 from a marketing/pricing point of view when the new 8 is here. If they do it right, I'm sure they can retain a flexible lineup that offers to the broader consumer several performance options. If they can do this profitably without much compromise, I would be a supporter of it.
I actually agree with you on all of that.

Old 17-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #78
Sprint347
Tickford

For the first time in a decade I'm truely excited about the upcoming GT... I can't wait.

Good on you FORD if this eventuates.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #79
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I actually agree with you on all of that.
well give me a rep point... :

;)
Old 17-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #80
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

if it eventuates no doubt it will be a winner,would they s/c the existing engine as paul@elite has done or have a lower comp engine for extra extra saftey,mmmm.something similar to the s/c mustags in the states would be nice.
Old 17-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #81
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are many reasons why I bought the F6. Yes performance was important but more so, I don't want a burbling noisy V8 waking up my neigbours when I come home late at night. Im not interested in the look at me sound. And to say that the Supercharged V8 will have just as good economy as the F6 is a bit odd and a bit premature. Lots of people want a quiet big family car that will give you a rush when you stick your foot down. I disagree that the F6 byer is a Turbo buyer. This F6 is the first turbo I have owned and I did almost buy a V8. But it was just too noisy. Yes the sound is great but unlike alot of you guys, I didn't want to put up with it all the time as my daily driver. (however I must admit the noisy V8 reasoning for buying the F6 came in retrospect after I had owned the F6 for a week or so)
Hell. I can stick my foot down in my F6 with the kids asleep in the back and not be worried about waking them up (within the speed limit of course)

Now don't get me wrong (again) I'm not bashing the supercharged V8 at all. I think it will be fantastic. But I think there will still be a market for the F6. And as a previous poster said. Theres tonnes of potential for tuning with the F6. The Engine isn't anywhere near it's limits.
noise levels on the v8 fpv & f6 both pass the same tests, one is no louder than the other. after hearing them drive by on WOT i would probably say the f6 is actually louder.
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #82
Bakis
XR6ED

A S/C GT shouldn't take away too many sales from the F6, it should be aiming at taking away sales from the HSV's more so.

Weekend Cruiser/Project -1993 ED XR6

XR6ED Thread
Bakis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #83
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I disagree that the F6 byer is a Turbo buyer.
That may be referring to my earlier post......

By that I meant that there is a definitive difference in the way these cars deliver their power. I understand that the F6 is a weapon......and I've driven a heavily modified XR6T......the power delivery is not something I fell in love with. It is lacking that instant snap that I personally like. The V8 is also more predictable and easier to drive on the throttle around corners........having boost come on mid corner in the 6T requires a nappy change........

The 6T afficianados love this and is certainly stuff of legend on this forum........but us V8 zealots still love the raw instant shove accompanied by the manic howl you get with the 8.........They are 2 distinctly different experiences and as much as the F6 may be warp enabled.......a Supercharged V8 will just add a stratospheric amount of extra response and driveability that will make the 6T feel like an overstretched elastic band.

Both "styles" are addictive but I still think that in "general" they appeal to separate camps judging by historical sales of the FPV V8. I guess that's the beauty of having both on offer.........you choose what rocks your boat.....and everyone's happy.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #84
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very exciting news.

As long as they can keep the price down to near F6 level it sure will be a winner. no one wants an low number high $$$ thing that only collectors can afford.

I'm also of the opinion that turbo and V8 markets are quite distinct. I think Ford was always going after a younger market with the XR6T's and the F6's (the skyline, WRX, 200sx market), the benefits of which will be reaped 5, 10, 15 years down the track when these youngsters can afford a new XR6T/F6 rather than a used one. On the other side of the coin there will also always be a market for V8's in Aus. I don't think they cannabilise each other at all.

Anyway - a supercharged alloy 5.0L V8 sounds like an absolute beast of a car - think I would buy one just for the noise it would make when you hit the go pedal! It would have to be a weekend car only though
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #85
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly
Bahahah, - do you even know whats in a Ford v8 supercar?! :
Yes, a Ford Motorsport engine, not a Windsor..
This new 5.0l is far closer in design and spec to the current Boss motor than the wheezor...

Old 17-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #86
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought 1 GT-P and 2 F6s.

I bought the GT-P because it was the quickest and highest spec falcon available.
I bought the first F6 because it was quicker.
I bought the second F6 because the first one was too povvo.

I don't care how many cylinders, stripes, throttle bodies or whatever are used in the engine. I don't care if it is turbocharged, supercharged or naturally aspirated.

I DO care if it is not the fastest, best handling, best braking, highest performance, most well appointed model available.

I have been keen on a F6-E. I suspect it will not happen. If the new V8 is as quick or quicker than the T6 AND there is a GT-E then that will be the target. If no GT-E then maybe a GT-P. If there is nothing that I like (and a basic GT with stripes or anything with racoon eyes is not for me) then I will do what I did last year and buy something else.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #87
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I bought 1 GT-P and 2 F6s.

I bought the GT-P because it was the quickest and highest spec falcon available.
I bought the first F6 because it was quicker.
I bought the second F6 because the first one was too povvo.

I don't care how many cylinders, stripes, throttle bodies or whatever are used in the engine. I don't care if it is turbocharged, supercharged or naturally aspirated.

I DO care if it is not the fastest, best handling, best braking, highest performance, most well appointed model available.

I have been keen on a F6-E. I suspect it will not happen. If the new V8 is as quick or quicker than the T6 AND there is a GT-E then that will be the target. If no GT-E then maybe a GT-P. If there is nothing that I like (and a basic GT with stripes or anything with racoon eyes is not for me) then I will do what I did last year and buy something else.
Yep, and that's exactly my point, you are a driving purist, and there a quite a few like you who want function over form, anyone who wanted the fastest, best handling, best braking Aussie 4 door sedan bought the F6..
But if it gets "out classed" by its bigger brother who already outsells it 2 : 1 with a distinct selling advantage based on engine note and name alone despite a perceived performance shortfall.. well then.....
As others have alluded to it depending on price points that both vehicles sit at, there maybe room for both, if the "performance advantage" justifies the extra price of the GT, or cheaper price for the F6 depending on where they sit them both may live happily side by side.
I hope the GT price remains about the same and the F6 drops back (relative) to where it was in the BA days..

Last edited by 4Vman; 17-06-2009 at 05:32 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #88
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
noise levels on the v8 fpv & f6 both pass the same tests, one is no louder than the other. after hearing them drive by on WOT i would probably say the f6 is actually louder.
hahaha yea ok now my ears are wrong.
Old 17-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #89
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hahaha yea ok now my ears are wrong.
I didnt mean it like that mate but the v8's are only really noisier with an exhaust fitted. you cant say a stock gt is noisy or a noiser car than an f6?
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #90
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
I didnt mean it like that mate but the v8's are only really noisier with an exhaust fitted. you cant say a stock gt is noisy or a noiser car than an f6?
Yes I can... watch me... a stock gt is noisy or a noiser car than an f6. :