Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #61
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Smile

Thanks for the info JPFS1.... oh dear Ford fumbled the ball again

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #62
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
So we're basing this argument off the fact that the XR8 isn't on the website?

Forgive me if all this appears like a huge overreaction on this threads part.
If you are that worried pick up the phone and call a Ford dealer.

Best comment in this thread so far !!!

If you're in the market for an XR8 and are worried that Ford aren't offering it now or in the near future, then give them a call (if you're genuine).

If not, what does it matter if you don't want to buy one ???

I understand that the original OP started the thread to highlight Ford's lack of communication around the XR8 model (which is pretty poor - I mean, how savage would us Turbo blokes be if Ford ripped the XR6T off their availability list and didn't tell anyone what the G.O. was), but if no one is buying, then what's the hoo haa all about ???
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #63
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
If you are that worried pick up the phone and call a Ford dealer.
One thing's for sure! They Ain't tellin us either! Save your 30cents
phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #64
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoonfan
One thing's for sure! They Ain't tellin us either! Save your 30cents
One would assume that if the XR8 was being discontinued altogether Ford Dealerships would be given some sort of notice from Ford HQ letting them know of the change.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #65
HSE2

In fairness to Ford, what they have said is that they will reveal their plans for this "Iconic brand" at a later date.

It’s an interesting choice of words. If you were going to pull that model completely and compressively you would not word a press statement like that. But then again this is Ford we are talking about.

The fact that it’s gone from the website and there has been no official press release to signify its demise would indicate to me that it’s likely to be launched with the cars that share the same engine family.

I am as frustrated as anyone with the lack of direction but the signs are very positive. If people are truly in the market to buy then holding off a while longer isn't going to hurt. Let’s face it, Holden have done SFA to VE from what we have seen.

What we are effectively talking about is a Ford V8 that will forever change the face of V8s for Ford fans. Holden’s V8 advantage is over and most likely will never return. We will be on an equal footing with a way forward in future proofing, and equalisation it terms of construction materials, the one real deficiency of the gone generation.

While its frustration for the loyalists, we also have to remember Ford are in a competitive environment. The latest Holden learn of the facts the better.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #66
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2

The fact that it’s gone from the website and there has been no official press release to signify its demise would indicate to me that it’s likely to be launched with the cars that share the same engine family.
This is a good point and you would be hoping that this is the case.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #67
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ford haven't woken up to the fact that they are in a war to win performance buyers,
especially when Holden is prepared to devalue their SS to a lowly $41,990 drive away.
In Holden's mind, they have just killed the XR8.

Next move is yours, Ford......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #68
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The XR8 may be gone or it may still be around but one thing is for sure.....

If you do not want the XR8 to join:

THEN BUY ONE.........

Not a second hand one but a NEW one.

FORD are in business to make money not cars
When "The People" have been saying it's been in it's little brother shadow for the last 7 years, maybe they should have listened..

The XR8 is atleast equal with the SS now on performance & fitment yet it hasn't helped sales so it's internal competition thats killing this model.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The XR8 may be gone or it may still be around but one thing is for sure.....

If you do not want the XR8 to join:

Panelvan
LTD
Fairlane
Wagon
RTV
Landau
Hardtop

THEN BUY ONE.........

Not a second hand one but a NEW one.

FORD are in business to make money not cars and building genericly unpopular vehicles just to "fill out the range" or "for a small enthusiast group" is a recipe for disaster.

I understand that many cannot afford a new XR8 and many of those who can have bought a GT instead but the real world is not a fair or just place and after all, there is no substitute for sales.
I dont want an FG, doesnt mean i dont want the XR8 to be gone from the range.
But your right Ford are there to make money and if the XR8 isnt viable then dont make it, shame though there is so much history with the nameplate.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #70
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

XR8's are no good anyway

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #71
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I started this thread to highlight the fact that Ford are happy to pull a model out from under you, and not communicate or assure customers that it will either be available in the future or not.

I understand that when you only have pieces of a puzzle, that questions are raised and speculation runs rife. But considering there's no outgoing model to worry about, why not start a campaign to keep buyers on your side so at least they don't take a walk over the road to a competitor?

The lack of communication and ambiguity is a sign that Ford don't know how XR8 will be positioned themselves yet!

Where other members take the topic is their choice.
I understand why you started the thread, no problems there, it just seems like people are reading too much into it.
If you are really in the market for a Aussie V8 sedan, would someone really go "Well I can;t find the XR8 on Fords website so I guess I'll go straight to the Holden Dealership tomorrow and order an SS"

There are probably a million reasons why its not on the website, I just dont see why the first reason that comes to mind should be that Ford are dropping the V8 behind everyones back and hoping that no one notices.

Anyone concerned enough to Email Ford?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #72
WASP
Whipple Induced

Ford insiders are remaining very tight lipped about what's going on at this time. Even people that have previously been given limited product knowledge are at this point being offered very little, if no more information than details we already know. They (Ford/FPV) are getting closer now to releasing some details soon so you'll have to be patient.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #73
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was speaking to my dealer today after getting the xr8's 27000km service, he told the info he had, was a there will be a N/A XR8 and 3 versions of SC'ed FPV's, 1 supercharged non intercooled version, 1 low boost intercooled version and then the highest model, high boost intercooled version.

Not sure if he was just making stuff up to finally shut me up, as i always ask when im in there, or if it holds some ground

All 20th Ann extras

: |||Mods To Date - Lowered all Round on Walkinshaw Springs. More to come . Tuned by ?????- Power - . ||| :

|Hers| 2009 LV XR5 Turbo in Silhouette
AzuR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #74
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
For me it would have been just as easy for Ford to have used the 6.2 SOHC
and got an easy 450 hp and 450 lbft without too much engineering enterprise.
Trust Ford to take the high moral ground and over complicate a simple plan.

Now we have a complicated interlude where Ford and the XR8 seems lost in a sea of figures
while the SS powers on with sales from $41,990 drive away, I'd say Ford better find their feet fast...
Yeah ford don't really give a stuff what you think is easier. Their probably more concerned about what's actually easier and what’s going to yield the best results.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #75
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Whats worse is that this would have been the 3rd new I bought from the same dealer. He even tried to tell me "at trade in time the first rego is what determines the age of the vehicle, not the build date". He then tells me he remembers me from the last new I bought there. I have never met that salesman.

2 lies in 5 minutes from a dealer I trusted.

I know what you are saying here.

When we were looking for a replacement for the ute (we bought second hand because we are a bit tired of the financial hit of buying new) we found a car that was built in dec 2006. It was priced pretty high so we asked why and the salesman said it was because it was a 2007, we said no its not it was built in 2006. He answered this by telling us it goes on when it was registered.

So we got him to price the ute for a trade in and he gave a figure that was very low. We asked him why it was so low and he told us it was because our ute was a 2005. We asked him how it could be a 2005 as it was built in dec but delivered and registered in jan 2006, surely that makes it a 2006. He answered that it doesn't and he offered a good price in his opinion on a 2005 SP. I suggested he drop a considerable amount of his 2006 typhoon and he again argued it was a 2007 and that he could not drop much off it.

Anyway, we went elsewhere and bought a typhoon that was 6 months younger (according to build date), $4000 cheaper, with less km's and got $7000 more trade in on the ute.

By the way, yes it was a very reputable dealer in QLD that was the subject of the this.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #76
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I know what you are saying here.

When we were looking for a replacement for the ute (we bought second hand because we are a bit tired of the financial hit of buying new) we found a car that was built in dec 2006. It was priced pretty high so we asked why and the salesman said it was because it was a 2007, we said no its not it was built in 2006. He answered this by telling us it goes on when it was registered.

So we got him to price the ute for a trade in and he gave a figure that was very low. We asked him why it was so low and he told us it was because our ute was a 2005. We asked him how it could be a 2005 as it was built in dec but delivered and registered in jan 2006, surely that makes it a 2006. He answered that it doesn't and he offered a good price in his opinion on a 2005 SP. I suggested he drop a considerable amount of his 2006 typhoon and he again argued it was a 2007 and that he could not drop much off it.

Anyway, we went elsewhere and bought a typhoon that was 6 months younger (according to build date), $4000 cheaper, with less km's and got $7000 more trade in on the ute.

By the way, yes it was a very reputable dealer in QLD that was the subject of the this.

Thank You. Someone else who gets it.

There is 2 ways to value a car. The way a dealer will value it to sell it to you, and the way they value it when they buy it from you.

Everyone has an opinion on what Ford are going to do next. Euro 4 has been on the cards for quite some time, and when it comes around, surprise suprise Ford still isn't ready.

Does anyone think it is a coincidence I decided to buy a new ute before the 30th of June? How many others went looking to buy a new XR8 ute at this particular time? Sorry, but this is very poor form.

Secondly the dealer has done the brand no favours. I will buy another new Ford sooner or later. I won't be buying it from that dealer however.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #77
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Thank You. Someone else who gets it.

There is 2 ways to value a car. The way a dealer will value it to sell it to you, and the way they value it when they buy it from you.

Everyone has an opinion on what Ford are going to do next. Euro 4 has been on the cards for quite some time, and when it comes around, surprise suprise Ford still isn't ready.

Does anyone think it is a coincidence I decided to buy a new ute before the 30th of June? How many others went looking to buy a new XR8 ute at this particular time? Sorry, but this is very poor form.

Secondly the dealer has done the brand no favours. I will buy another new Ford sooner or later. I won't be buying it from that dealer however.
Some dealers just don't seem to want to sell a car and unfortunately Ford seem to have their fair share of bad dealers. Like the other one that I test drove their car, was really interested and got them to appraise the ute. They leave me waiting for ages and then tell me they have to do some research and will call me back. I am still waiting for the call.

The good news for Ford is that the quality of some of these dealers do not taint the product in my eyes. I do wish they would give some of their dealers a good smack upside the head though.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #78
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Some dealers just don't seem to want to sell a car and unfortunately Ford seem to have their fair share of bad dealers. Like the other one that I test drove their car, was really interested and got them to appraise the ute. They leave me waiting for ages and then tell me they have to do some research and will call me back. I am still waiting for the call.

The good news for Ford is that the quality of some of these dealers do not taint the product in my eyes. I do wish they would give some of their dealers a good smack upside the head though.
Very true. I had exactly the same experience. Almost 2 weeks ago, they told me the best they could on that ute they has was $43k on road. Saw it advertised on the today for $38,500 on road. I guess they didn't want to sell it me.

Sad thing is that I thought there service department was great. Had all my Fords serviced there and always swore by them. They actually went the extra mile. (Hence why I wanted to stay loyal).

Pity Sales let that go out the window. Lesson in business. It costs less to keep an existing customer than it cost to attract a new one.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #79
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
In fairness to Ford, what they have said is that they will reveal their plans for this "Iconic brand" at a later date.

It’s an interesting choice of words. If you were going to pull that model completely and compressively you would not word a press statement like that. But then again this is Ford we are talking about.

I am as frustrated as anyone with the lack of direction but the signs are very positive. If people are truly in the market to buy then holding off a while longer isn't going to hurt. Let’s face it, Holden have done SFA to VE from what we have seen.

What we are effectively talking about is a Ford V8 that will forever change the face of V8s for Ford fans. Holden’s V8 advantage is over and most likely will never return. We will be on an equal footing with a way forward in future proofing, and equalisation it terms of construction materials, the one real deficiency of the gone generation.

While its frustration for the loyalists, we also have to remember Ford are in a competitive environment. The latest Holden learn of the facts the better.
There's a lot to learn from this post.

It's a relatively short phase Ford are going through and before long, when the proof's in the pudding, this detail will be forgotten. Your last comment is certainly food for thought.

When it returns, and it will do so with a bang - think what the XR6t did when it landed - there will be few anywhere not aspiring to having one.

The comment "What we are effectively talking about is a Ford V8 that will forever change the face of V8s for Ford fans", is one for us to pay a little attention to as it holds a lot of weight; this will be reality. It will take a while for it all to sink in, having the XR8 belting not only the SS, but also putting the HSVs under a lot of stress.

Upon it's return it will no longer be looked down on.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #80
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
There's a lot to learn from this post.

It's a relatively short phase Ford are going through and before long, when the proof's in the pudding, this detail will be forgotten. Your last comment is certainly food for thought.

When it returns, and it will do so with a bang - think what the XR6t did when it landed - there will be few anywhere not aspiring to having one.

The comment "What we are effectively talking about is a Ford V8 that will forever change the face of V8s for Ford fans", is one for us to pay a little attention to as it holds a lot of weight; this will be reality. It will take a while for it all to sink in, having the XR8 belting not only the SS, but also putting the HSVs under a lot of stress.

Upon it's return it will no longer be looked down on.
Fully agree. HSE has made some very good points. I do agree with the OP that the removal of the product from the website, while not unusual given the model is not currently in build (if some left around the place), is a bit more worrying because they have provided no such advice as to its possible replacement (ford badged or otherwise).

With people going to the internet for info these days it might lose you some sales if the model just 'disapears' and then not a peep of info is given for a possible replacement. Ford may be able to retain some interest in the model by letting everyone know a new XR8 is on the way, even if no details are provided. With ford's history on this issue people are understandably nervous....

BUT, i think the pivotal issue is the market for the car. Yes the XR6T has taken sales from the XR8, but the six has been doing that for years before the XR8 came out (in theory at least, since unlike holden the ford 6s are very good). It is the perception that the current XR8 (or even going back to E series days) is slower and 'inferior' to the XR6T AND the SS (both of which are debatable, esp the latter) that has killed it. By deleting the model and then waiting to make an announcement about the 'iconic' XR8 brand (FPV relations also) some time later it effectivley 'reboots' the car. Also, being an 'enthusiast' vehicle (which it certainly is, no one buys a slower car than the XR6T unless they hunger after that V8) the XR8 owners have always been first to seek out info. Whether rumour or not most people i've spoken to, including non-forum members, who like cars have heard about the SC coyote 5.0 and its 'holden crushing' ability. So have the holden faithful too.

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Whatever badge it wears i think Ford Aus, espeically with marin at the helm, know the importance of an 'entry level' V8 falcon. With the brilliance of the coyote package (and so much local fpv involvement) it would be stupid to not provide some sort of XR8 vehicle. How its packaged i don't know....and maybe neither do Ford. When Ford and FPV come to an arangment going forward they will announce, almost certainly some time in the next few months so the cars can be established before next years ecoboost falcon and diesel territory launches.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #81
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
XR8 will reappear in October this year.
More optimistic than my local dealer who today kinda' suggested that that there were plenty of 8's available and that the 'new one' "wouldn't be available until early next year..."

But he may just have been trying for a sale (I expect)?
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #82
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
Yeah ford don't really give a stuff what you think is easier. Their probably more concerned about what's actually easier and what’s going to yield the best results.
Sticker shock, be prepared for a starting price north of $52,000.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #83
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me it seems Ford are doing with the new engine what they did with the BA when it first arrived. IIRC the 6 cylinder and 6 cylinder Turbo rolled out late '02, the V8 didn't arrive until March '03. No big deal is it?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #84
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
To me it seems Ford are doing with the new engine what they did with the BA when it first arrived. IIRC the 6 cylinder and 6 cylinder Turbo rolled out late '02, the V8 didn't arrive until March '03. No big deal is it?
It is when you're an alarmist.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #85
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Sticker shock, be prepared for a starting price north of $52,000.
Given the power and torque figures that people are speculating on, I don't think 52k is entirely unreasonable.
After reading MotorTrend's review of the Coyote equipped Mustang, the new XR8 is going to be an absolute cracker.

MT quoted a 1/4 mile time of 12.7 seconds in the Mustang FWIW
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #86
blk6t

Everyone seems to be a little disappointed that Ford has quietly removed the XR8 from their website, reasons could be as stated:
- New V8 version is not yet ready and no more 5.4l versions to produce, so why market the car. BUT, that raises questions, any other car marker will indicate that a NEW VERSION is approaching to create hype. This is something Ford have not done which is concerning.
- If it has been dumped why create negative hype whilst the FG commercials are airing at the moment?

Just let it slide away.

- Also there were never any 50 year versions available...

In all honesty, how may XR8's do you see. For me I hardly see any, actually see more GT's.

If the car doesn't sell why produce it? Would you make a product and lose money on it out of your own product?

People need to start buying the XR8 to keep it going, Ford have done TOO well with the XR6T for purchasers to consider the XR8.

Everyone should start banding up and contacting Ford in large numbers to create a ripple in the company, show disappointment with their decisions and show Ford some deposits for a new XR8.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #87
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It is when you're an alarmist.
where would FF be without alarmists and Ford bashers..

Old 09-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #88
crunchbunty

I had a similar issue recently. I took a friend to the local ford dealer becuase he was after a new car to update his ba xr6 turbo. They had a demo/runout FG xr8 with all the options for 43,000 but my mate said he wasn't sure about owning a V8 (always been a turbo saab, falcon, volvo man).

He asked if he could take a test drive. The dealer said no. He reassured him that he was expecting the dealer to come with him and not just let him take the car for a spin without him.

Long story short - the dealer said "Look mate, you either want the car or you don't." My mate told him that he did want the car but having never driven one, didn't know whether to spend a bit more on a non-runout turbo or save a few pennies and grab this (face it - really cheap demo/runout xr8).

The dealer just didn't want to know. He then offered my friend 6000 for his 2004 ba turbo with 93,000 on the clock. . . .

That smae day, my mate went to holden and got an SS-V. Holden bent over backwards to help him. He got a demo with AFM and the changeover figure was only a bit over 25k.

Hmmmm, I wonder why he bought the holden
crunchbunty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #89
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbunty
He asked if he could take a test drive. The dealer said no. He reassured him that he was expecting the dealer to come with him and not just let him take the car for a spin without him.

Long story short - the dealer said "Look mate, you either want the car or you don't." My mate told him that he did want the car but having never driven one, didn't know whether to spend a bit more on a non-runout turbo or save a few pennies and grab this (face it - really cheap demo/runout xr8).

The dealer just didn't want to know.
Really annoys me when they do that - happened when I was looking for my BA (not at a Ford dealer mind you), wouldn't let me drive the car without the $$$ component sorted out first and a deal struck.

Told him I'm going elsewhere and walked out.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #90
crunchbunty

Ford are the masters at producing self fulfiling prophecy.

Example 1: Fairlane - Even in the deep dark AU days, fairlane was pulling good sales numbers (sometimes over a 1000 a month! - just look at how many of the buggers are for sale second-hand). Then, at the time of the BA upgrade the fairlane looked just like a slightly longer falcon. Considering that an audi-esque front bumper and a more stylish boot pressing could have seperated the fairlane and falcon. Advertising was virtually non-existent. A lack of ford specials wiped out another group of buyers. By the time it was axed the fairlane/LTD were selling at a rate of less than 10 per month. SIGH.

Example 2: Falcon wagon - as far back as BA, base model XT falcon sales were tumbling in deference to higher end models such as futura, fairmont, ghia and especially XR6 (not to mention specials like SR). SO... What does ford do? They de-content the wagon until it eventually becomes available as a base model only. It was interesting that by the time they killed the wagon, the base XT accounted for 5% of falcon sales. Interestingly, most of those were wagons!!!!

Falcon V8 (cleveland) - by 1982 the only way you could get a 351 was in an ESP or a cop car.

There is a pattern here. If a car company (well, they guy who runs the show) wants to dump a car, all they have to do is slowly reduce the availability or desirability of that vehicle until it becomes oh so simple to say "Well, it's hardly had any sales. Let's ditch it."

We could thank people like Tom Gorman for amazing decisions like these. Uncle Geoff Polites would be appalled.
crunchbunty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post