Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #61
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
You clearly haven't been in a German built Focus.
I had an ls xr5 and there was always something going wrong with it. 26,000 k's of problem after problem. That said, lemons come in all makes and models and I was unlucky to get a lemon that was blue in color. I'd still happily buy another, and want one of these. White fir my money. But it's a lot of coin and I'm happy with my Mondeo XR5.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #62
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Couple of things I am sick of hearing on this thread:

Cruise control (it doesn't need it)

FWD (drive it before you knock it)

At least a few of the Falcon boys are exciting to see a great hot hatch coming down under .

I have had a Focus and a Falcon, and the Falcon doesn't compare to the Focus at all...different in every way.

If I had 60k to buy a car would I choose the RS or a GT....I would buy the RS hands down

If I am honest the fwd thing was worrying me, so much so that I have been researching this car over the last four weeks. I have changed my mind and if I weren't already committed I would be buying one of these.

I loved what I saw and heard and it looked like an engaging experience. Then there is the appearance.

For me though not having cruise is an issue if I were to travel any distance. In Tassie you don’t tend to stop too much and many years ago I essentially broke my right ankle. I use CC to give the foot a rest instead of stopping and walking about for a while so it’s an issue for me as it was in the XR5.

I love this car. Glad Ford have it instead of FPV. The green one has been my wallpaper for two weeks.

Really hope this is successful for Ford. Love to see it sell out.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #63
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Now thats a Hot Hatch!!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #64
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
224kw FRONT WHEEL DRIVE????? That's just appalling. I'll have golf R with ECU flash thanks. At least I know the all the power will get to the ground and won't be limited by some electronic gizmo not letting me fully unleash.

Not to mention if I hit my head on the dash in a golf I won't knock myself out like I would in a Focus with its rock hard plastics used, although the shoddy build quality might save me as the panel might move.

Never understood why people have gotten so excited over focus's on here, they are unreliable, poorly built cars. Sure the dynamics are ok But they can only be so Good and revo knuckle or not, 224kw is too much for a FWD!!!

Stoney!
Want to step off your soap box now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Couple of things I am sick of hearing on this thread:

Cruise control (it doesn't need it)

FWD (drive it before you knock it)

At least a few of the Falcon boys are exciting to see a great hot hatch coming down under .

I have had a Focus and a Falcon, and the Falcon doesn't compare to the Focus at all...different in every way.

If I had 60k to buy a car would I choose the RS or a GT....I would buy the RS hands down
Mate the lack of cruise doesnt bother me one iota, ive never owned a FWD car but im seriously looking at a Focus (XR5 Turbo). I really hope this car says in the Ford stable and its even better that Ford got it and not FPV
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/76590/fo...for-australia/

Quote:
Ford Focus RS confirmed for Australia
By Karl Peskett | August 2nd, 2010

In news that has taken everyone by surprise, Ford Australia has just fulfilled the greatest wish for any hot hatch fan – the Ford Focus RS is coming down under.

Going on sale in the fourth quarter of this year, only 315 examples will be available, meaning exclusivity will be assured. Three different colours will be coming: Ultimate Green, Performance Blue, and Frozen White; each being associated with the current RS for some time now.

Using its acclaimed RevoKnuckle front-wheel-drive system, the Focus RS delivers 224kW and 440Nm from its 2.5-litre, turbocharged five cylinder. Peak torque comes in at just 2300rpm.

Ford Australia President & CEO Marin Burela today said he was “very pleased and incredibly excited” to announce the Focus RS’s availability.

“The buzz and excitement surrounding Focus RS has spread rapidly around the globe since it was introduced in Europe early last year, winning a host of motoring awards and receiving widespread critical acclaim for its outstanding combination of high-performance road car technology and every day Focus practicality,” said Mr Burela.

“Now it is poised to conquer the Australia market, setting a new benchmark for hot hatch performance in this country and creating a whole new generation of performance car enthusiasts in the process,” he said.

Bespoke Continental tyres wrap around 19-inch alloys connected to the – excuse me while I type this out – Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing Helical Limited Slip Differential (whew!) meaning grip will be plentiful.

Inside, the Australian Focus RS features Recaro front seats with a leather/alcantara mix, six-disc Sony sound system with eight speakers, rain sensing wipers, and rear parking sensors. Bluetooth will be offered, along with iPod connectivity and keyless entry. A start/stop button brings the Duratec engine to life. Outside, the Focus RS receives self-levelling xenon lights with washers, and rear parking sensors, to prevent scratching of its precious bumper.

The price? Ford Australia tells us it’s going to be $59,990. More details when they come to hand.

We can’t wait.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #66
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Also how could we forget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GCT2zHKi_0
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #67
jumbuck
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
$60k is a lot of $$$$$$, for a small car.

I bet they won't all go this year.
I rang my local dealer who said that they have probably already sold out. He was suggesting I put my name down as a reserve in case there is a cancellation! 300 = 150 green + 75 blue + 75 white I was told.
jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #68
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Oh, nice! Not an FPV as we might have thought...

Any one suggesting AWD, it add's weight..., and the Revonuckle thingamedo seems to do the work according to many road reviews.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #69
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Who would want a bum dragger? - Me (I drive one a FWD the moment and race it in sprints occasionally).

Well done Ford - the numbers are enough that they aren't going to sit around.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #70
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Thanks for that, i really do love this car if i had the pennys my name would be on the list
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #71
RS027
Perth XR5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbuck
I rang my local dealer who said that they have probably already sold out. He was suggesting I put my name down as a reserve in case there is a cancellation! 300 = 150 green + 75 blue + 75 white I was told.

Nice Dealer trick to get you to put a deposit down...

I agree that 150-200 will walk out the door, then the last 100 odd will sell very slowly. I remember the Evo6.5 when it was released in Oz... they couldn't giv'em away in the end and that was after a public outcry to sell them here in the first place.

Given that if I had 60k I'd buy one in a second. I'll take it in Green
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #72
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
For me that would be a tough choice Head says Evo, heart says RS. Those new evos are a damn good bit of gear
Fifth Gear did a decent comparo between the 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jhlExoRaM

*Note it seems to be the FQ-300 Evo X... not sure if it makes that much of a difference but I know the FQ-400 version would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
When it comes to bang for your buck, this car is a winner.
Hmm... Not so sure about that. I think it shows how good our local bang for buck car line up is. FG XR6T low 5 second 0-100 (possibly into the 4s for forum members) and mid 12s 1/4 (proven by forum members here), out of a car that costs less than 45k and can carry 5 people and their luggage in relative comfort.

Having said that I really like the Focus RS and wouldn't mind one in white.

Glad they finally decided to bring it out here even if it is only in relatively limited numbers.

Last edited by 5.4 GT; 02-08-2010 at 08:15 PM.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #73
jumbuck
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS027
Nice Dealer trick to get you to put a deposit down...

Hope you are right as I am seriously considering one of these.
I forgot to ask the dealer if there was so many per dealership or just first in....don't suppose anyone else asked this question?
jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #74
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if anybody has mentioned what a great investment vehicle this would make as long as they never brought more over to sell that is.

At 300 only ever sold in this country & with its aggressive looks combined with rather large balls in such limited numbers what a great investment.
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #75
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

It is a very nice car indeed. I think the FWD 'issue' shouldn't be problem for 90% of the drivers of this car on the road. It has been designed to work, and I'm sure it works a treat.

Having said all that, I also own a FWD turbo car that probably weighs the same, but puts out about 75kw less. It is very front heavy but performs exceedingly well for what it is, and probably more importantly, what I can handle as an everyday driver of a performance car.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #76
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbuck
Hope you are right as I am seriously considering one of these.
I forgot to ask the dealer if there was so many per dealership or just first in....don't suppose anyone else asked this question?
Each major dealer should at least get one.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #77
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
224kw FRONT WHEEL DRIVE????? That's just appalling. I'll have golf R with ECU flash thanks. At least I know the all the power will get to the ground and won't be limited by some electronic gizmo not letting me fully unleash.

Not to mention if I hit my head on the dash in a golf I won't knock myself out like I would in a Focus with its rock hard plastics used, although the shoddy build quality might save me as the panel might move.

Never understood why people have gotten so excited over focus's on here, they are unreliable, poorly built cars. Sure the dynamics are ok But they can only be so Good and revo knuckle or not, 224kw is too much for a FWD!!!

Stoney!

I've had an XR5 for 3 years and the only issue I had with it was the Sony stereo. With all the punishment I have given it, it hasn't missed a beat. There are no squeaks or rattles. It is a great car to drive, handles well and sounds great.
I am not going to say they're better than VWs, etc. They're not but they're not worse either, VW has their share of issues too.
Horses for courses. If you enjoy your Golf that's good, they're a fantastic car, but please do not come on here with factless banter. You make yourself look like a spoilt brat.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #78
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'm wondering about two things,
1) normally these are a very limited run hence the $60,000 price tag
2) what price will the Supercharged Coyote be when it arrives....

I have no doubt that the Focus RS is the Ford Europe halo car but please,
it hardly compares to the value you can get from Ford Australia of FPV.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #79
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I have no doubt that the Focus RS is the Ford Europe halo car but please, it hardly compares to the value you can get from Ford Australia of FPV.
It's really really sad that you are bragging about FPV's value for money.
Since when FPVs become eco-Ford?
KenLee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #80
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

"You dont see Europe salivating to import anything worth while from Australia. Did you ever think the reason is that its all Ballonie... with the only positive is going fast in a straightline?? Any muppet can do that....
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #81
HSE2

Let’s dial it back a bit. It’s not a situation where current choices are under attack
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #82
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Does anyone at Drive proof read their articles?

The RS is listed as a 4 pot on their home page, then the article has incorrect power and torque figures (but is then correctly listed a a 5 cyl)

www.drive.com.au
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #83
SnoWhite
------------

Take it from me - anyone who gets to drive this car WILL WANT ONE.

Thank you FORD. It's been almost 30 years, you have delivered another exciting RS at last.

This car will also interest Subaru Rex, VW R32 Golf, and Evo previous buyers.

CheeRS
SnoWhite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #84
SnoWhite
------------

THANK YOU AGAIN FORD!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #85
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched

I've had an XR5 for 3 years and the only issue I had with it was the Sony stereo. With all the punishment I have given it, it hasn't missed a beat. There are no squeaks or rattles. It is a great car to drive, handles well and sounds great.
I am not going to say they're better than VWs, etc. They're not but they're not worse either, VW has their share of issues too.
Horses for courses. If you enjoy your Golf that's good, they're a fantastic car, but please do not come on here with factless banter. You make yourself look like a spoilt brat.

Well I apologies If i came around that way, But I wasn't impressed one bit with the Zetec I test drove amongst other cars before eventually buying the golf. My opinion on the look of the interior and especially materials used was quite a low one. The performance was ok but engine sounded to thrashy to me at high rpm, it did handle very well and didn't quite make the ride suffer as bad as the golf. But just couldn't get my head around the interior where I would be spending all of my time with it, that and it made a good stereo sound cheap. Sorry But that was my opinion of which I am entitled to.

I'm glad you have had a great run with your car as I don't wish car trouble upon anyone, and though I don't have fist hand experience with focus problems, My Dad owns his own mobile repair business and says anytime he's doing work on a focus the customer can't wait to be rid of it due to the amount of problems they have had with them.

Other people in this thread can say what they like about my original post, but when you can get more power out of a car thats better behvaed and also has AWD with a lower price tag, why wouldn't you.

Has nothing to do with latte machine (2 sugars thanks) or being a homo as your trying to say. I like a car I can drive to work smoothly one day, Or drive my Grandparents comfortably out to a nice country town for a nice morning breakfast, then cane the *** out of it on the twisties while they have gone to look at the town markets.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #86
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Does the limited number of 315 have any relationship to upcoming coyote power levels or is it just coincidence?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #87
SnoWhite
------------

A few comments about FPV I see in these pages. The story is that FPV wanted it, but Ford in Europe would not allow their Ford badge to be removed. Also FPV did not have any interest in marketing such a successful hot hatch in Australia as they thought the RS was dead and buried here!
So Ford Australia have come to the party. Well done.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #88
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoWhite
A few comments about FPV I see in these pages. The story is that FPV wanted it, but Ford in Europe would not allow their Ford badge to be removed. Also FPV did not have any interest in marketing such a successful hot hatch in Australia as they thought the RS was dead and buried here!
So Ford Australia have come to the party. Well done.
Well if thats true, at least it wasn't tarnished with the FPV badge.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #89
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

i wanted to start selling organs to be able to get one of these, but Mrs RSgerry reckoned she still needed them. shame. i love these cars and would have one in a flash. i loved the green, but saw one in the metal in Switzerland earlier this year and it didnt look as good as the pics IMO. still wouldnt say no. how hard is it to remove wifes organs while she sleeps? i have no medical experience, but the nternet should be able to help me get close to the major organs.....
2012 Ford Focus ST
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #90
WASP
Whipple Induced

Love it, almost enough enough to ask for forgiveness from the wife for purchasing one by impulse. I was saving that experience for my replacement for the FG XR6T next year however. It only works once every now and then and I have kind of worn it out with the GT...lol