Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
kpcart
Banned

Default 3L - 195kw, 620nm, 6.1L/100km - Build a bloody Turbo Diesel Falcon already!

From Wheels: http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/...class-facelift

the new c-class mercedes (nearly as heavy as a falcon these days):
"Its upgraded 3.0-litre turbo-diesel V6 now produces 195kW and 620Nm (up 30kW/110Nm), yet the slurp drops to 6.1L/100km (ADR average, down from 7.4)"

I have driven a 2007 merc c-class. it had a 1.9L 4cyl turbo diesel which made 400nm torque! and felt super smooth with the torque and quite rapid.

why cant they at least put that 2.7/3.0L jaguar turbo-diesel into the falcon like they have with the territory? imagine how sweet and smooth it would be to drive a 500nm falcon that only uses about 7-8l of diesel per 100km?

kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
fordv8!

Default Re: 3L - 195kw, 620nm, 6.1L/100km - Build a bloody Turbo Diesel Falcon already!

should have been done already!!!!!
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
98AUXR6

Default Re: 3L - 195kw, 620nm, 6.1L/100km - Build a bloody Turbo Diesel Falcon already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
From Wheels: http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/...class-faceliftwhy cant they at least put that 2.7/3.0L jaguar turbo-diesel into the falcon like they have with the territory? imagine how sweet and smooth it would be to drive a 500nm falcon that only uses about 7-8l of diesel per 100km?
I don't think Ford owns Jaguar anymore so can't pinch their stuff, like the ZF! Good idea though!
2006 BIONIC XR6 - 6 Speed manual (of course), F6 upper and lower snorkels, 19" Replica GT Rims, lowered SL Front/SSL Rear, iPod AUX attachment, tinted. Hopefully, more to come!!! UPDATE!!! Colour coded engine parts! :

For your photographic needs see

www.alluringlightimages.com.au
98AUXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98AUXR6
I don't think Ford owns Jaguar anymore so can't pinch their stuff, like the ZF! Good idea though!
The V6 Diesel was developed and built at Dagenham diesel, it was started early in the piece by
Jaguar/land Rover as a Joint effort with PSA (Peugeot) but I'm pretty sure Ford owns it now.

The reason FoA has access to the 2.7 diesel is because costs have been sufficiently amortized
to allow it use at a reasonable pierce. Sure the 3.0 V6 single and twin turbos are available but
I think the horrendous cost of the newer designed hardware like injectors, turbo and engine
programming keep them J/LR exclusive for now.

Heck, I'd be happy with in a Falcon that used the 2.2 I-4 from T6 Ranger/Mondeo,
if that couldn't average around 6 l/100 km with 400nm torque then I'm not here....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Kryton

Been saying it for years - Diesel Falcon.
Theres the usual nay sayers, who dont get the point but there always will be.
Id happily buy a TD Falcon, however, since it doesnt exist, i wont be buying Ford for my next car.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great idea, but there is still the stigma of the noisy/ slow diesel which people still think exists.

Not to mention how diesel fuel here is more expensive then unleaded, despite the fact that it is less refined. People will baulk at the cost of fuel and when you work out the average fuel cost with the petrol version it cancels each other out

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
spvd02

Falcon doesn't need diesel, end of story. It's hardly justifiable in the Territory as it is so why would you put it in the Falcon. For once be happy with what's on offer instead of always looking for alternatives. The I6 on offer is superb; now go and enjoy it. If anything, it's the EcoLPI we should be looking forward to, as it will cost far less to run than a diesel option in the Falcon.

Diesel owners seem to love talking about big numbers, but those numbers are only impressive on paper. In the real world, the massive numbers do not translate into performance. So what exactly do they translate into? Nothing more than bragging rights.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Great idea, but there is still the stigma of the noisy/ slow diesel which people still think exists.
Such a stigma that Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, Territory all offer diesel variants
yet Ford's "volume selling" Falcon misses out....

Ecoboost I-4 is kinda like second prize....
Old 29-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02
Falcon doesn't need diesel, end of story. It's hardly justifiable in the Territory as it is so why would you put it in the Falcon.
Hardly justifiable?
Ford expects 50% of sales to be diesel, they wouldn't bother if it wasn't worth the effort.

Ford is obviously putting all its money on EcoLPI and Ecoboost I-4 for Falcon buyers,
I hope they are right...
Old 29-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The V6 Diesel was developed and built at Dagenham diesel, it was started early in the piece by
Jaguar/land Rover as a Joint effort with PSA (Peugeot) but I'm pretty sure Ford owns it now.

The reason FoA has access to the 2.7 diesel is because costs have been sufficiently amortized
to allow it use at a reasonable pierce. Sure the 3.0 V6 single and twin turbos are available but
I think the horrendous cost of the newer designed hardware like injectors, turbo and engine
programming keep them J/LR exclusive for now.

Heck, I'd be happy with in a Falcon that used the 2.2 I-4 from T6 Ranger/Mondeo,
if that couldn't average around 6 l/100 km with 400nm torque then I'm not here....
I suspect another reason for the 2.7, was they had already started and then aborted work on getting this engine into Terri years ago, when the project was cancelled. Putting the new 3.0 engine in would have wasted that earlier expenditure as they would have to start from scratch again. Add on what you say about getting the 2.7 cheap and no one at the meeting is going to suggest the 3 litre was a better idea. Accountants would kill them.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
I suspect another reason for the 2.7, was they had already started and then aborted work on getting this engine into Terri years ago, when the project was cancelled. Putting the new 3.0 engine in would have wasted that earlier expenditure as they would have to start from scratch again. Add on what you say about getting the 2.7 cheap and no one at the meeting is going to suggest the 3 litre was a better idea. Accountants would kill them.

Dan
I'll be interested to see the actual uptake of V6 diesels in Territory sales,
like a lot of things, Ford may be watching for positive signs before committing
to anything more regarding Falcon engine variants, they've made their choices
so now let's see what comes back....
Old 29-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I wonder what the uptake on AWD is with the Terry? Perhaps this is part of the reason why you cant get certain configs.

IMO the biggest sellers will be RWD Diesel TX and TS. To start off with anyway.

spvd02 I think you will find the majority of diesel people, or people looking at diesel, are more worried about the L/100 than the 0-100. Thats the reason. If you want performance you dont buy a diesel Terry, you buy a XR6T.

Yes there are some diesels that are marketed as performance cars, and most do well, but they dont give the same feel even though the end result might be as good.

A diesel Falcon ute would be a better prospect, but id love to see the 2.7 in a sedan aswell. All this talk about it being old is nonsense, if it returns the figures needed then who cares. Some V8's still use pushrods but they get the job done.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02
Falcon doesn't need diesel, end of story. It's hardly justifiable in the Territory as it is so why would you put it in the Falcon. For once be happy with what's on offer instead of always looking for alternatives. The I6 on offer is superb; now go and enjoy it. If anything, it's the EcoLPI we should be looking forward to, as it will cost far less to run than a diesel option in the Falcon.

Diesel owners seem to love talking about big numbers, but those numbers are only impressive on paper. In the real world, the massive numbers do not translate into performance. So what exactly do they translate into? Nothing more than bragging rights.

It seems you have not driven a modern turbo diesel. Why do you think that BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar etc are selling so many diesels? Why is it that 70% of new cars sold in europe are diesel? Could it be because they offer fuel economy, torque and lowered emissions improvements?

The extra expense of the diesel sale price is more than made up for when you consider the better fuel consumption, the higher resale of the diesel and the fact that many modern petrol cars (particularly turbo models) will not run on anything less than 95 octane fuel (which is equivalent price to diesel).

For those that don't think a diesel can perform, take a BMW 330D for a drive, 180 kw and 520 nm makes these things move. Also lets not forget what Audi has done with one in a certain 24 hr race.

Ford needs to do something to get with the times, a fuel consumption of 9.9L/100km is not considered good anymore, not when you look at the figures of its competitors.

A diesel offers better consumption and more torque than a larger size petrol, what's not to love in a large family car? Considering Falcon sales in the last few years, it seems they are doing something wrong, a real shame as the rest of the car is so good.
Old 29-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Gecko the euro diesel thing is correct, but they also have price incentives buy it in the first place, I cant remember the exact difference but it was a bit cheaper than PULP and you get better mileage...not a hard choice.

You dont even need to drive a sporty diesel to see they are lively, just get used to swapping cogs a bit more and not revving them out.

In saying that once cruising the torque is good, you can leave it in top gear and overtake in most cases.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
It seems you have not driven a modern turbo diesel. Why do you think that BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar etc are selling so many diesels? Why is it that 70% of new cars sold in europe are diesel? Could it be because they offer fuel economy, torque and lowered emissions improvements?

The extra expense of the diesel sale price is more than made up for when you consider the better fuel consumption, the higher resale of the diesel and the fact that many modern petrol cars (particularly turbo models) will not run on anything less than 95 octane fuel (which is equivalent price to diesel).

For those that don't think a diesel can perform, take a BMW 330D for a drive, 180 kw and 520 nm makes these things move. Also lets not forget what Audi has done with one in a certain 24 hr race.

Ford needs to do something to get with the times, a fuel consumption of 9.9L/100km is not considered good anymore, not when you look at the figures of its competitors.

A diesel offers better consumption and more torque than a larger size petrol, what's not to love in a large family car? Considering Falcon sales in the last few years, it seems they are doing something wrong, a real shame as the rest of the car is so good.

Exactly.
Some just dont want to listen though.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Nothing wrong with the Mondeo diesel. Looked at the average fuel consumption on dads when I was driving it the other day (probably never been reset) and it has an average consumption of I think 6.1l/100km. Admittedly probably 90% Highway.

Only thing I don't like about it is the bit of lag, but its still got plenty of torque/power for overtaking.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Big Bird 17

With all the R and D at their disposal you would think that Ford could do what Audi do in the diesel stakes or are their bean counters too profit driven and don't want to spend the dollars.
Old 29-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 17
With all the R and D at their disposal you would think that Ford could do what Audi do in the diesel stakes or are their bean counters too profit driven and don't want to spend the dollars.
What R&D Money?

Ford has to make it stretch.

I think the EcoBoost 4 will do for now, and then for an eco minded money saver, the 2.5L Duratec on LPi.
Old 29-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Benz with the powerful diesel with discounted price of $84000 is in a whole different price range, i don`t think a falcon would be cheap with this engine and an upgraded driveline to handle it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its a bit concerning they decided on that 2.7L diesel V6 for the Territory, its fairly old and its power/torque figures suck for the amount of cylinders/displacement it has compared to more recent rivals like Kia and their 2.2L 4 cylinder diesel Sorento (145kW and 436Nm of torque)

But hey, old diesel is better than no diesel.

Something like the BMW 330D would be awesome, XR6TD or something, lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
the Benz with the powerful diesel with discounted price of $84000 is in a whole different price range, i don`t think a falcon would be cheap with this engine and an upgraded driveline to handle it.
You mean about the same price as a TX RWD Diesel?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

possibly, but i think we are talking diesel in a falcon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep diesels are a huge success in Australia.

Other than the 4WD heroes just how many diesel cars do you ACTUALLY see on the road?

After all with every brand selling them and they being the true messiah they should be everywhere.........must be using stealth mode.

In the real world the cost of your car is (initial purchase + fuel + maintenance + admin costs - resale) / km covered.

So if your car costs more and is more expensive to maintain and you do not do squillions of kilometres (which very few here actually do) then owning a diesel is MORE EXPENSIVE than owning a similar petrol, if it were not the fleets would be full of them......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #24
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
possibly, but i think we are talking diesel in a falcon.
Well then work backwards.

Territory = as good as falcon

Ford get the RWD TX Diesel RRP of ~$43k

The falcon should be cheaper as its based off a car that moves more units (well for now)....just saying that a Falcon diesel in the same spec as a TX terry should be cheaper if your looking at "how much would it cost".
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Other than the 4WD heroes just how many diesel cars do you ACTUALLY see on the road?

After all with every brand selling them and they being the true messiah they should be everywhere.........must be using stealth mode.

In the real world the cost of your car is (initial purchase + fuel + maintenance + admin costs - resale) / km covered.

So if your car costs more and is more expensive to maintain and you do not do squillions of kilometres (which very few here actually do) then owning a diesel is MORE EXPENSIVE than owning a similar petrol, if it were not the fleets would be full of them......
Agreed it makes less sense here, but in the Territory's case the fuel consumption difference is pretty large and most normal families hold onto there cars for say a min 3 years atleast.

Havent done the maths but its the same payback period like a LPG install, just need to work out the kms you do.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #26
Big Bird 17

Plenty of non 4wd diesels on the road.Mondeo,focus,hyundai,golf and peugeot.
Old 29-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

What is the point of releasing a diesel Falcon when the Mondeo diesel is already here? Nearly the same dimensions as the Falcon, more tech than the Falcon. Ford Aust. could build it here and slap Falcon badges on it...
Old 29-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

I'd say they are a success in Australia, considering no locally manufacturered large passenger vehicle is available with a diesel engine. They're hedging their bets on flex fuel and small capacity forced induction engines. Turboed petrol engines have a larger stigma attached to them than noisy, rattle, smokey diesel engines.

I'd be quite happy owning a TDI V12 Quattro.
Old 29-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #29
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Almost half the mondeo's on carsales are diesel. 322/725
BMW: 1270/7561....now lets go 2005-present....1228/4129
Audi: 663/3508...2005-present...657/2628

Yup, diesels definately arent increasing in popularity.....
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #30
spvd02

Considering the alternative is a 2.3L n/a petrol, there's no surprises there. If there were as many ECOboost style engines available as turbo diesels, it'd be interesting to see how diesel would fare then.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post