Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #211
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 3L - 195kw, 620nm, 6.1L/100km - Build a bloody Turbo Diesel Falcon already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
sounds like your speedo is way out, 100 in first? how far past the red line?
The first BA's were able to do just on an indicated 105km/h sitting on the redline.

Ford seemed to progressively lower the redline as time went on. Ended up being close to 95km/h.

Was really trippy being able to set the cruise on 100km/hin first driving down a freeway...
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #212
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 3L - 195kw, 620nm, 6.1L/100km - Build a bloody Turbo Diesel Falcon already!

There was rumours ages ago they tried a diesel version of the Barra, where they just rumours?

I wonder why it didnt go ahead.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #213
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
There was rumours ages ago they tried a diesel version of the Barra, where they just rumours?

I wonder why it didnt go ahead.

Engine was to expensive to produce.
Old 20-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #214
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
why are you rating an engine by how quick you can drive your car in a quarter mile? no one cares about that with a 6 cylinder enigine. i started this thread to discuss a diesel alternative for a falcon. i know people want diesels, and none of them would care about the quarter mile time, my $1500 motorcycle, can do sub 12 quarter mile, that doesnt make it great either.
Why did ask about my speedo if this threads about diesels, then three minutes later you ask why I'm talking about a 6 cyl when the thread's about diesels?
To answer your useless question I was having a discussion with Buntz93ED so mind your own business.
Old 20-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #215
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Why did ask about my speedo if this threads about diesels, then three minutes later you ask why I'm talking about a 6 cyl when the thread's about diesels?
To answer your useless question I was having a discussion with Buntz93ED so mind your own business.
Which model do falcon are you running btw?
Old 20-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #216
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I could forsee the Geelong engine plant making a go at producing the Territory's 2.7 TDCi as a replacement for the trusty I6. The 2.7 oil burner would be a much more relevant engine for the Falcon going forward than the I6 as people seem to be obsessed with economy and torque - both things that engine would deliver in spades if it was fitted to future Falcons...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #217
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I could forsee the Geelong engine plant making a go at producing the Territory's 2.7 TDCi as a replacement for the trusty I6. The 2.7 oil burner would be a much more relevant engine for the Falcon going forward than the I6 as people seem to be obsessed with economy and torque - both things that engine would deliver in spades if it was fitted to future Falcons...
It's what LPG is for.

Aussies have shown they will fork out for the LPG, and they have good resale rates.

LiLPG is Ford's way forward now. And EcoBoost of course. Let's not dirty our favourite sedan with a truck engine. Let's look forward to the moment they whack another turbo on the 2.7 for territory... to keep it fresh and vigorous.
Old 20-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #218
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Which model do falcon are you running btw?
Careful, someone might have a go at you for being off-topic. It's a BF.
Old 20-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #219
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
It's what LPG is for.

Aussies have shown they will fork out for the LPG, and they have good resale rates.

LiLPG is Ford's way forward now. And EcoBoost of course. Let's not dirty our favourite sedan with a truck engine. Let's look forward to the moment they whack another turbo on the 2.7 for territory... to keep it fresh and vigorous.
I was referring to post-2015 when the I6 is retired.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #220
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Careful, someone might have a go at you for being off-topic. It's a BF.
I'm gonna have to see what mine does when I take it for a long run tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I was referring to post-2015 when the I6 is retired.
LiLPG 3.7L V6.

Ford will have to bring the I6 up to Emissions V.... so we may see them hold off on retiring the engine, if they can make it more fuel efficient than the yankee engines.

It could happen.
Old 20-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #221
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford will have to bring the I6 up to Emissions V.... so we may see them hold off on retiring the engine, if they can make it more fuel efficient than the yankee engines.
Who's paying? Wasnt it the government most recently? With carbon taxes and more pandering to greens over the next few years, I doubt the government will be keen to fund anything to do with big engines.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #222
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Who's paying? Wasnt it the government most recently? With carbon taxes and more pandering to greens over the next few years, I doubt the government will be keen to fund anything to do with big engines.
That's not the point. It's jobs. Local skills. Local manufacturer.

The government will throw in a bit. They can call it a 'green initiative', and count the lives of saved polar bears. but the fact remains. The engine is here till 2016 at least. And the new emissions laws will be in before that. So Ford will have to bring it up to scratch.

That should mean the last will be the best ever built.
Old 20-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #223
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
That's not the point. It's jobs. Local skills. Local manufacturer.

The government will throw in a bit. They can call it a 'green initiative', and count the lives of saved polar bears. but the fact remains. The engine is here till 2016 at least. And the new emissions laws will be in before that. So Ford will have to bring it up to scratch.

That should mean the last will be the best ever built.
If you read the new emissions regs, engines only need to be Euro 5 if a new model is released after November 2013, if its introduced before that date it can stay Euro 4 until 2016.

Ford have pencilled in the FG's last update in 2013, no doubt before November so they will not ever need to make the I6 Euro 5 until its probably replaced by a Euro 6 compliant V6 in 2016.

Its like these new regs were designed to suit Ford, and due to the government consultation that the manufacturers were asked to provide, it probably was.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #224
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If you read the new emissions regs, engines only need to be Euro 5 if a new model is released after November 2013, if its introduced before that date it can stay Euro 4 until 2016.

Ford have pencilled in the FG's last update in 2013, no doubt before November so they will not ever need to make the I6 Euro 5 until its probably replaced by a Euro 6 compliant V6 in 2016.

Its like these new regs were designed to suit Ford, and due to the government consultation that the manufacturers were asked to provide, it probably was.
Well that just makes me sad Boss. That just makes me sad.