Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #61
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Default Re: VFACTS Feb 2012

I think Territory is a good figure. I am disappointed in the number of sales for the Falcon.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #62
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I still cant get over the "out of stock" issues, thats been happening since the first focus...do they learn nothing?
They have no choice...

They are only allocated a certain amount of stock...

Can't blame Ford Australia when Thailand will only supply them a certain amount of units each month.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #63
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They have no choice...

They are only allocated a certain amount of stock...

Can't blame Ford Australia when Thailand will only supply them a certain amount of units each month.
So Ford NA should word up Ford of Europe that the market is changing in Oz, or simply that they are concentrating on Mondeo/Focus and will need more stock.

Sure its not that simple, but this "problem" has been around for years. Boost production..do what ever it takes...just do it and stop making excuses.

Seems the companies that are selling at the moment are just examples of firms with their crap in order.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #64
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

It really hasn't been that much of an issue in the past... The issue in the past is Ford Aus does not stock pile stock before launch, therefore during the initial months of launch they get smashed and run out of stock. 6 - 12 months in and stock is plentiful. In the case of the current Focus theres plenty of stock around, just not enough of the right sort (Diesel Titanium's with Satnav apparently!). If you don't want satnav theres plenty of cars available.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
So Ford NA should word up Ford of Europe that the market is changing in Oz, or simply that they are concentrating on Mondeo/Focus and will need more stock.

Sure its not that simple, but this "problem" has been around for years. Boost production..do what ever it takes...just do it and stop making excuses.

Seems the companies that are selling at the moment are just examples of firms with their crap in order.
We're just a small pimple on Fords ****, all the other regions get priority, we just get the crumbs. Ford do not give a stuff about Ford Australia, they have been having these supply issues for years now and still nothing changes.

Switching Focus to Thailand will help but until the US Ecoboost line gets up and running and they can somehow build more diesel engines it won't change much.

Ford are becoming a bit of a joke in this country. Its no wonder they keep slipping down the sales charts with one hand always tied behind their back and no support from Detroit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #66
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Diesel Mondeo is basically unobtanium as the engine is shared across a lot of Ford Europe products,
I think you'll find a healthy portion of those sales are Ecoboost as FoE are holding onto as many diesels as they can...

Transaction price, last of SYII 80% were RWd petrol at $36,990 drive away.
SZ is 75-80% diesel with +$43,000 retail price...that's the difference.

A combination of down balancing to 209/day, return of four day week and
Territory being built 1 to 1 with falcon are the chief reasons why we're not
seeing more Territory...[B]heck, the segment leader, Prado only sold 24

Jeez you blokes are a tough crowd......

Terry and Prado should be in different category - one is an SUV and the other one is a 4WD , Kluger is a Terri competitor ...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #67
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Saw a focus hatch again today in the flesh, its a great looking car.

3000 commies...WTF

Mind you I guess Ford is thinking that the Tez is a Falcon wagon really...so I can see how adding them together perhaps works? Tez would be a bit of a cash cow wouldnt it?

Id love to know how many sportswagons are selling, and how many SS's (V8's) are part of that 3000.
On last years figures about 115 SS/SS-V Sportwagons a month. Can't see it changing much.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #68
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Terry and Prado should be in different category - one is an SUV and the other one is a 4WD , Kluger is a Terri competitor ...
As I've noted before, the VFACTs categories are based on the dartboard method. Theoretically they are supposed to be based on wheelbase, vehicle mass, passenger carrying capacity and a whole pile of other weird metrics but the logic is sometimes hard to fathom.

While we haven't changed our SUV categories this year, VFACTs have so we now have:

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #69
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote "On last years figures about 115 SS/SS-V Sportwagons a month. Can't see it changing much." Thats more than I thought, they are around $60k.
And Ford reckon theres no market for wagons ?? Add Omega, SV6, Berlina and Calais wagons to the sales..Holden must be happy with wagon sales...
From Motorama Moorooka : Sportswagons : SSV $61,990 on road. SSV Redline $64,990 on road.
Calais V $66,443 on road. There must be a market or Holden wouldn't build them.

Last edited by csv8; 05-03-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Add $$
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Until recently,they were all Mid sized SUVs, Territory and Kluger are soft roaders, while Prado and T6 Everest are off roaders..

Fortunately, that's changing so will be interesting whether buyers now view products in a different light...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #71
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Wretched. on those figures, EcoLpi isn't selling???
I don't know what the expected sales of EcoLPI that Ford are expecting.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #72
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
I think Territory is a good figure. I am disappointed in the number of sales for the Falcon.
My dealer told me my XR6T Ute was due to be delivered to them early last week (notified by factory). Friday I get a memo past to me from Ford me via the dealer about part shortages(EcoLPI parts & Ute drive shafts), so all February builds delayed indefinitely. Excuse? They aren't selling any Falcons yet have part shortages?? How do they expect to compete when they operate with such incompetence?

Whether it's management in Australia or restrictions via the USA, the company is without doubt in a questionable state. The dealers are sick to death of it, many have bad mouthed Ford to me in recent times, especially for part shortages, which are obviously shoestring budget related. Ford needed to release FG2 with a full head of steam for it to be a success (marketing and customer wise)... they didn't, it isn't.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I don't know what the expected sales of EcoLPI that Ford are expecting.
Currently making around 30 per day but plant is now back to four day weeks in March.
That would make production around 480-500 a month compared to last month's 600 odd..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #74
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Quote "On last years figures about 115 SS/SS-V Sportwagons a month. Can't see it changing much." Thats more than I thought, they are around $60k.
And Ford reckon theres no market for wagons ?? Add Omega, SV6, Berlina and Calais wagons to the sales..Holden must be happy with wagon sales...
From Motorama Moorooka : Sportswagons : SSV $61,990 on road. SSV Redline $64,990 on road.
Calais V $66,443 on road. There must be a market or Holden wouldn't build them.
Exactly.
As Commodore's volume has fallen as fleet sales have gone off the boil and
as you've hinted, private and high series sales could be staying pretty strong

RWD Territory with XR6T running gear for a flash wagon?
XR6T in sedan, Ute and Territory might make an interesting combo..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #75
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
My dealer told me my XR6T Ute was due to be delivered to them early last week (notified by factory). Friday I get a memo past to me from Ford me via the dealer about part shortages(EcoLPI parts & Ute drive shafts), so all February builds delayed indefinitely. Excuse? They aren't selling any Falcons yet have part shortages?? How do they expect to compete when they operate with such incompetence?

Whether it's management in Australia or restrictions via the USA, the company is without doubt in a questionable state. The dealers are sick to death of it, many have bad mouthed Ford to me in recent times, especially for part shortages, which are obviously shoestring budget related. Ford needed to release FG2 with a full head of steam for it to be a success (marketing and customer wise)... they didn't, it isn't.
My recent new found optimism is starting to evaporate. What excuses for Falcon's poor showing now?
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #76
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There were 380 lpg sales, I would think they would all have been Falcons?

The high price of lpg is going to hurt that though! Ford and Holden should get onto the Govt to stop this crazy price inflation the fuel companies are doint to LPG!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #77
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Goodbye Falcon my old friend. You will be missed very much.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #78
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
There were 380 lpg sales, I would think they would all have been Falcons?

The high price of lpg is going to hurt that though! Ford and Holden should get onto the Govt to stop this crazy price inflation the fuel companies are doint to LPG!
A few would have been Commodores and old dedicated LPGs... Yes Ford still has some of those laying around the place, in particular wagons!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #79
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
[CODE] Passenger Private 2012 2011
Diesel 2,053 1,682
Hybrid 178 106
LPG 32 5
Petrol 23,830 24,109

Passenger Non-Private 2012 2011
Diesel 2,284 2,277
Electric 2 0
Hybrid 363 341
LPG 223 122
Petrol 17,054 16,786

][/CODE]
Hmm, Diesel sedans seem to be selling significantly better than LPG and Hybrid
Seems like those companies able to provide them are seeing real gains in sales..
Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #80
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Exactly.
As Commodore's volume has fallen as fleet sales have gone off the boil and
as you've hinted, private and high series sales could be staying pretty strong

RWD Territory with XR6T running gear for a flash wagon?
XR6T in sedan, Ute and Territory might make an interesting combo..
Yep, even 50-100 sales a month has got to be worth it. It would be a vehicle that kept BOTH my wife and myself very happy.

Under 6 seconds 0-100kmh, mid 12L/100km economy and a price that started mid-high 40k driveaway for the entry level.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #81
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
price, last of SYII 80% were RWd petrol at $36,990 drive away.
SZ is 75-80% diesel with +$43,000 retail price...that's the difference.

A combination of down balancing to 209/day, return of four day week and
Territory being built 1 to 1 with falcon are the chief reasons why we're not
seeing more Territory...heck, the segment leader, Prado only sold 24 units more.

Jeez you blokes are a tough crowd......
I don’t agree with most of that...

Yes profit on diesel is better (maybe), but not by the amount you have painted above, there is a R&D cost for Diesel (that would not be there if petrol only). So we truly don’t know the real profit again on petrol vs. diesel. However, the build qty surly gets to a point where they have to say “why bother”, profit or not?

Also, if they are building 209 cars per day & are 1 to 1 with Falcon, that makes 104 territories build each day. 104 x 21 days is 2,184 territories build in February. They only sold 1400, so there must be a **** load of them out there somewhere? Also Falcon still did out sell Territory in February in Sedan ute combined (1192 + 403 = 1595). So there should be more Territories lying around than Falcons? If next month does not see a mid-high teen number for territory, then numbers are not holding strong as there is heaps of stock out there to be sold!!.

Last edited by Joe5619; 05-03-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #82
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Reminder, these results are for registed cars only, if the car wasn't registed at the time of data collection, then its no counted.

Sales can only go up.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #83
martyk54

Quote:
Seems like those companies able to provide them are seeing real gains in sales..
Diesels are represented well in the popular classes... mid sized / SUVs.

Diesel also has a healthy perception too, as many expensive Euros use it (no LPG in Europe / big rebate on diesel purchases). Other than on large (towing sized vehicles), I still see it as pointless in Australia. When calculating how long it takes to recover additional layout of the (diesel) car, it's a lot longer than the average car holding period for a typical owner. Unless of course people enjoy the light commercial sounding idle, greasy pumps, lifeless engines etc, etc.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #84
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
Diesels are represented well in the popular classes... mid sized / SUVs.

Diesel also has a healthy perception too, as many expensive Euros use it (no LPG in Europe / big rebate on diesel purchases). Other than on large (towing sized vehicles), I still see it as pointless in Australia. When calculating how long it takes to recover additional layout of the (diesel) car, it's a lot longer than the average car holding period for a typical owner. Unless of course people enjoy the light commercial sounding idle, greasy pumps, lifeless engines etc, etc.
Don't worry about that, just give buyers what they want.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #85
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
The diesel V6 needs to be in the Falcon Ute and sedan. Hybrid and LPG vehicles were outsold by diesel 2053 to 210 in the private and 2284 to 586 in the non-private sector.

Diesel practically sells itself as the 'advertising' is already done. EcoBoost and EcoLPi which are both fantastic technologies, rely on Ford to market them for themselves.

If Ford is serious about letting the market determine the various technologies fates. Then include diesel in the Falcon by leveraging the Territory (and Ranger) knowledge base(s).

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #86
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Focus is taking some sales away from Fiesta, Ambiente in particular will persuade some buyers who were looking at Fiesta LX.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #87
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
If Ford is serious about letting the market determine the various technologies fates. Then include diesel in the Falcon by leveraging the Territory (and Ranger) knowledge base(s).
If you're right here, this is seriously a sad state of affairs.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #88
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I don’t agree with most of that...

Yes profit on diesel is better (maybe), but not by the amount you have painted above, there is a R&D cost for Diesel (that would not be there if petrol only). So we truly don’t know the real profit again on petrol vs. diesel.
The fact that Ford were busted by the union starving Territory of I-6 engines to boost diesel sales is pretty compelling..

Quote:
Also, if they are building 209 cars per day & are 1 to 1 with Falcon, that makes 104 territories build each month. 104 x 21 days is 2,184 territories build in February.

They only sold 1400, so there must be a **** load of them out there somewhere? Also Falcon still did out sell Territory in February in Sedan ute combined (1192 + 403 = 1595). So there should be more Territories lying around than Falcons? If next month does not see a mid teen number for territory, then numbers are not holding strong as there is heaps of stock out there to be sold!!.
I said one to one with Falcon, not Falcon + Ute...(Sorry if I misled you)

Of around 4,300 builds, that figures at around 900 Utes, and 1700 a piece Falcon and Territory..

Factory is on four day weeks, four down days were announced last month plus labor Day Monday.
Combined production will be back to around 3400 this month, so maybe closer to the sales this month..
Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
The diesel V6 needs to be in the Falcon Ute and sedan. Hybrid and LPG vehicles were outsold by diesel 2053 to 210 in the private and 2284 to 586 in the non-private sector.

Diesel practically sells itself as the 'advertising' is already done. EcoBoost and EcoLPi which are both fantastic technologies, rely on Ford to market them for themselves.

That's what I don't understand, Ford sees the demand for diesel in Focus & Mondeo but
knows it can't get enough of them, cant get any diesel Kugas whatsoever yet completely
dismisses diesel Falcon in favor of Ecoboost and EcoLPI because apparently, that's what fleets want...

But that's me looking at Falcon with retail eyes, maybe diesel wouldn't sell any good either.
We'll never know because it's not happening as there's no cash in the tin to even try...
Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #90
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think one reason to buy a Falcon ute over a Ranger would be vehicle length. I wonder how someone can manage to deal with a vehicle that's 5.35 metres long on a daily basis. That's the same length as a Ford Crown Victoria. Wouldn't it be too long to fit in most parking spaces and garages? My garage at my old place only had a max length of about 5 metres so no way would a Ranger fit.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post