Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #31
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Ford assumes sole responsibility for FPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1
Hopefully this also means some oversea's ST models can be sold in OZ with FPV badges
No, I would rather they're imported with what they are built with, I don't want any local badges on them.
Old 30-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
I couldn't see Ford alone taking the full risk (or allocating additional resources) to bring a unique S/C 5.0 to the FPV range (given all the work that was needed to do so).
Ford would have simply used a crate engine from the US.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
“What we’ve done is to take a look at the business in total and projecting where that business was going in future, and we came to the conclusion that the present business situation really wasn’t sustainable longer term,” he said.
From a GoAuto article on the subject.

If the business was unsustainable long term, why would Ford take it over if they were supposedly shutting up shop in 4 years?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 30-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
WPR1

Even if they did use a crate engine the Miami used for the Mustang is fantastic. A lot of people who have driven the S/C and N/A versions say the N/A Mustang version is better.
It may also mean Ford Australia have easier access to US and UK performance parts.
Just trying to stay positive! I love the product!
Unfortunately the worm has turned and all models will end up 'world cars' Australianised through different names and badging. In Australia FPV is Ford's performance brand so it makes far more sense to call a Focus ST an FPV Focus in Australia from a marketing perspective.
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #35
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior

If the business was unsustainable long term, why would Ford take it over if they were supposedly shutting up shop in 4 years?
Unsustainable with the current way the business was setup. By folding it into FoA they would significantly reduce staffing overheads, especially at the senior management level.

Plus the other big expense to go is FPV's own factory, especially if the Ford Factory is underutilised anyway.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #36
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I see this as good news towards the Falcons longevity. All Falcons and FPV's being built in the one factory should increase production efficiency and subsequently lower production costs which may be reflected in the rrp.

Sure it may mean that the FPV range may be squeezed down to its best sellers only, but it may also mean that FPV engineering may spread into the Falcon range. Example, GS and GTE dropped, but the XR8 returns and a G8E may be developed!

The merger seems to agree with the discussion on "One Ford" and the concept of Australia playing a vital role in the development of the global RWD platform. FPV could never export products or deal with the US, but FORD Oz can!

My 2 cents.
Old 30-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....light=prodrive

I shed no tear. I really expected more synergies from Prodrive for technology to "filter" form their various other performance enterprises. All I ever saw was ford doing the bulk of the work.

Its perhaps a sign, but I look forward to being able to buy a Ford XR8 or Ford GT.

Im also hoping it lowers red tape, agreed the GT might get lost in the overall processes at Ford but I think they will handle it fine.

Would they not just transfer the people they need to Ford Special vehicles internally? So not really a huge change.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 30-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #38
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior

That's what I thought too.,..You'd be mad to take on an unsustainable business unless that business had some valuable intellectual property that you could make use of.

In their case though they could reduce costs through synergies and avoiding duplication, but if it's only for 4 years, why?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #39
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

SVO changed named to SVT, and is inhouse with Ford. The European RS division is inhouse with Ford. FTE changed name to FPV is now inhouse with Ford.

Hmm.

Is it time for some jump-into-bed-together one-Ford lovin' in the performance divisions? I wonder if we'll continue to see localised brands continue, or if there'll be some unification and rebranding coming up.....

Perhaps they want the FPV brand to go worldwide? That acronym seems to make more direct sense to what it is and does and for what base brand than the somewhat obscure SVT and RS Division names.

Lukeyson
Old 30-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #40
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

This would mean a better turnaround time between order of vehicle to delivery to customer i would imagine which can only be a good thing. Streamlining the whole process i think will improve the brand.
But this will mean squat unless sales pick up and profits are made.
I could imagine seeing FPV disappearing altogether and GT being branded solely Ford.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #41
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
This would mean a better turnaround time between order of vehicle to delivery to customer i would imagine which can only be a good thing. Streamlining the whole process i think will improve the brand.
But this will mean squat unless sales pick up and profits are made.
I could imagine seeing FPV disappearing altogether and GT being branded solely Ford.
5 bucks says that when the 2014 update rolls around, there won't be FPV badges on the cars.

But I want to highlight a point made above by Thunder. Bryan Mears made a comment a couple of weeks ago about a 3 year, $80 Million dollar cost to make the Falcon-based FPV's LHD and suitable for export. FPV would not have done that costing and engineering analysis themselves. Now Ford has taken control of the entity and the product, they also have control of engineering, design and export opportunities. Ford would have more resources to throw at this than FPV (not right now though)

Old 30-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #42
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
SVO changed named to SVT, and is inhouse with Ford. The European RS division is inhouse with Ford. FTE changed name to FPV is now inhouse with Ford.

Hmm.

Is it time for some jump-into-bed-together one-Ford lovin' in the performance divisions? I wonder if we'll continue to see localised brands continue, or if there'll be some unification and rebranding coming up.....

Perhaps they want the FPV brand to go worldwide? That acronym seems to make more direct sense to what it is and does and for what base brand than the somewhat obscure SVT and RS Division names.

Lukeyson
TeamRS and SVT are already consolidated and the new Focus and Fiesta will be the work of their collaborative effort. This is why I think FPV were gone anyway. They're the most vulnerable aspect of an Australian Falcon becoming a OneFord Falcon.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I've always found the idea of building a complete donar car, driving it 500m down the road to FPV, stripping it of its unnecessary parts and then building a GT rediculous anyways!

Building it on the Ford production line sounds more efficient anyways, both in time and money. That's how they did it in the hey days.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #44
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
That's what I thought too.,..You'd be mad to take on an unsustainable business unless that business had some valuable intellectual property that you could make use of. In their case though they could reduce costs through synergies and avoiding duplication, but if it's only for 4 years, why?
Why not ? The R&D is all done, new R Spec handling all sorted, just add more interior tech ASAP which they're doing for Falcon anyway in 2014 and with the lower manufacturing costs they should make solid unit profits. Even if its only for four years if they buy out Prodrive cheaply enough...
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #45
Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
I've always found the idea of building a complete donar car, driving it 500m down the road to FPV, stripping it of its unnecessary parts and then building a GT rediculous anyways!

Building it on the Ford production line sounds more efficient anyways, both in time and money. That's how they did it in the hey days.
You'd find that a lot of the parts that go into FPVs are either already on the vehicle (engine, brakes, etc - and F6 spoiler, GS front and rear bars), fitted with slave units (wheels, yellow BA 18s typically), or not fitted at all (GT, F6 bumpers, etc)...
Elements is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #46
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

No impact on FPR.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champi...8/default.aspx

Lukeyson
Old 30-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #47
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

And here:

http://www.fpr.com.au/2012/08/30/for...tement-on-fpv/

Lukeyson
Old 30-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #48
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

So what are Ford buying exactly ?
Is it the FPV name... And rights to use it.

If everything is going inhouse to Ford....what's left over....is it the tooling and moulds for FPV bodykits and a couple of box loads of stickers ?

Personally i think Ford will muff it up....they dont have the money , the drive and enthusiasm or the local in house culture to maintain and grow a perdormance car line up.

Sure FPV may have lost money on S/C Coyote ... But does anyone really believe that Ford would have produced anything like it under their own steam......
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #49
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Wow. Developing the Turbo 6 must have been a figment of my imagination.

Lukeyson
Old 30-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #50
max_torq
From the Futura

Will there be future FPV badging and upgrades on cars other than falcons, on rangers or mondeo etc?
Old 30-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #51
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Wow. Developing the Turbo 6 must have been a figment of my imagination.

Lukeyson
Exactly my point...look at what FPV managed to do with the donor engine.
Without the dedicated skunkworks .... It would never have achieved the status it has now.
Old 30-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #52
tweeked
N/A all the way

Prodrive develop the FPV product, I am pretty sure the "FPV" development for the rest of the Falcons life is done, so they were effectively finished.

I just hope they release everything that was developed!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #53
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I wonder if the FPV open day will still go ahead, 2011 was our last when we were told it changed from every year to every 2 years, Feb 2013 would have been the next one.
If nothing is to change for the FPV consumer/enthusiast we hope Ford retain a FPV open day in some sort of format, this day also raised a lot of money for FPV's chosen charity..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #54
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Open day at Fords main factory would be a nice change of venue, would be a massive shame to lose that day.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #55
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Without the dedicated skunkworks .... It would never have achieved the status it has now.
They would have done the smart thing and got something from the US a long time ago instead of developing an orphan engine for an orphan car. GMH have been doing it successfully for ages.

Your giving "FPV"..which is to actually say prodrive to much credit.

Ford does the bulk, and the only difference between a FPV employee and a Ford one is the portable they sit in at the PG.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #56
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

IN any event, all the durability and power testing for the I6 was done by Ford, it's their core engine after all.

Old 30-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #57
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Unsustainable with the current way the business was setup. By folding it into FoA they would significantly reduce staffing overheads, especially at the senior management level.

Plus the other big expense to go is FPV's own factory, especially if the Ford Factory is underutilised anyway.
Yes I would imagine the lease cost on that premises would be hefty. Then there are the other fixed costs, electricity, Council rates, utility charges, tax etcetera - and then you have the costs arising from the duplicity going on with the actual work on the cars.

Could we see a little reduction in the RRP of FPV's over time?

Also, with this being brought under total control of Ford, and with this One Ford BS, could this mean easier access to hi-po goodies from the US?

Old 30-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #58
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
They would have done the smart thing and got something from the US a long time ago instead of developing an orphan engine for an orphan car. GMH have been doing it successfully for ages.

Your giving "FPV"..which is to actually say prodrive to much credit.

Ford does the bulk, and the only difference between a FPV employee and a Ford one is the portable they sit in at the PG.
They ( FORD ) have had plenty of opportunity to Import performance USA engines over the last 20 years and provide Tickford / Prodrive - or their own staff ample opportunity to enhance them - or just drop them straight in..........have they ??
My point is that without Prodrive - would FORD have provided us with the Supercharged version of the COYOTE we have now - or would they have just imported the N/A 5.0 version - as good as it is - which would have left the GT lacking or just on par against the HSV .....or worse still - as they have demonstrated back in the 80's - pulled the pin altogether and just given us 6 cylinder S packs.

I give Kudos to Prodrive because they deserve it........the 5.0 Supercharged engine is a spanker............some people around here have such short memories.

Time will tell i guess..........
Old 30-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #59
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I can't agree with that. FPV took Ford's creation and tinkered with it slightly to produce slightly more power. Personally I think giving FPV and the F6 credit for the turbo 6 achieving cult status is a stretch at best- it was the droves of people who bought and modified XR6 Turbos that gave the turbo 6 the status it currently enjoys. Many people I've spoken to don't even know what an F6 is.

Having FPV under the Ford roof is a step in the right direction. They never did much anyway, besides putting powerful motors in basically standard cars.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #60
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Unfortunately this means Prodrives services will no longer be required and this makes it easier for FoA to dismantle this operation post 2016 when there will be no donor car for FPV to modify.

To those who don't agree with me, bookmark this post and contact me in 2017.

A sad day.
This is truely sad and bad for FPV, prodrive spent how much just on the miami dev, how much did FoA buy it back for?
FoA has as much power as it's given from the boss at homeland U.S. End of story, does anyone think they don't have a say on what gets spent or what product has a case, doesn't it all have to get signed off from the boss. Redwhiteblue RSPECs is this a sign lol All I feel is a blackeyebloodred future for Falcon and now FPV...
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post