Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
LilMissDrift

Default Whats with Labelling chicks when it comes to cars.. haven't the old ways left?

OK... So Im a chick, that was a bottle blonde (just love changing my hair) I love getting my nails done, and gettin all dressed up for no particular reason. But I have a passion for cars.. Is that OK? To be a girl and to have a keen interest for cars/bikes. Im my dad's only child, so i guess havin his little girl get out and work on the car with him was a bonus. And I always believed it was ok, as the whole sexist thing didnt hit me until i was about 14! I was sick of being able to show all the guys up at school with anything motor related.. and often got labelled as being too "boyish".. guess the older guys loved it.. But.. when i left school, I realised that it wasn't too acceptable for a girl to want to do anything automotive related.. I applied for Mechanics apprenticeships, spray painting/panel beating apprenticeships.. and got nothing but dissapointment from any response.. at one stage got told they wouldnt hire me as my "bodily features" may distract the "boys" in the workshop!!
Well, Even tho Im only 17.. I honestly think those of you out there who label "chicks" about stuff like this need to grow up.. and whats the go with dissing chicks that like the "Ricers" its a matter of personal preference.. what about all the guys that DRIVE the ricers.. Heres something to think about..

When meeting 2 chicks at a "CAR SHOW" who's your attention most likely to turn too? The Petite, Skinny, Blonde.. that drives the TWIN TURBOED r33 skyline/or Supra.. or the Tall, Bigger built brunette, that drives the Falcon/Commodore.. think about that one!

~Spoiler

~*.No its NOT my Boyfriends Car.*~
LilMissDrift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Dont get worked up over it.

It will never end, but thats ok too.

Remember it is women who are attempting to take over traditionally mens positions, both in the workforce and in hobbies etc. There is going to be resistance.

Just think of it this way, you have two things men want, a nice car and b00bies!!! :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Heffnic
this is true

its cool to like cars yes there is some males out there that dont like the fact that chicks like cars but hey i know a few females who love there cars. Be yourself dont let others judge u its u doing what u like. :sm_headba
Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
LilMissDrift

Im not gettin worked up hey... Im just proving a point over the "car domination" theory... Im a chick.. so i cant be a mechanic right.. couldnt handle the heavy work... Yeah well Im nearly 6'0 and strong built.. Just think guys need to realise this and ease up a little hey..
And as for women trying to take over it... OK so does that mean a MAN can't be a hairdresser.. God theres plenty of them around here... We're not trying to take over... we're trying to be ACCEPTED...
~Spoiler

Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
nick81xd

Girls with interests in cars rock, car shows girls are stuck up sluts. Give me a smart girl that looks decent and has cars on the brain 80% of the time anyday haha
nick81xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
nitroman
nitroman

It's all attitude. I know girls in the automotive industry who just get on with the job like (and sometimes better than) a bloke and you don't even think about them being a peice of candy when you just want to buy a water pump. It's all in your head!
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Psycho Chicken
Banned

You can be a mechanic. There's a female apprentice at my work. Somehow I haven't got a sexual harrasment lawsuit.

Just keep trying at it. And if you end up working with me, ignore my flange gasket jokes.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
XzLr8
Banned

100% agree with tha^^^, if i can find a girl thats as dedicated to cars as i am (and loves fords) ill be a happy man
XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
LilMissDrift

I think u misread me there.. I was meaning like if u met them there.. Im not meaning promotional girls (not all of us promo girls are stuck up sluts its the "stigma" that goes with it... we're stereotyped!) Im just saying if u had ur car in a show n those 2 girls approached u talking about it (with a genuine interest)
~Spoiler

Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

i think that ur a little fired up about this, i think u should be able to go get a trade doin wat u love no matter what sum stupid blokes told u about gettin distracted in the workshop cuz he's sum grease monkey whos never been laid... but apart from that i love chicks who are into cars cuz then u can share the interest and she wont go ape when u decide to spend a little at C.A.P.A lol....u shouldnt get to upset about it, and it IS[U] ur choice wat cars ur into but i wouldnt cum to a ford site havin a go at people who hate ricers cuz most of the guys here dont like them which is why they have a ford.... go ahead a rip into the guys who drive rice crap but u wont find many on this site.... maybe hit up the pulsarclub
The guys who are into cars go to car shows to respect peoples efforts and amazing stuff they got there cars doin, not to go up to chicks, the chicks are eye candy if there is a few ricers until the next blown clevo.... ;)

dont take this as a go at ur point but this sites about fords not cranky chicks who like rice?? but yeh go yell at sum rice guys man
finnyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
Steve
torque is your friend

A girl I'm attracted to, can have a laugh with and who is genuinely interested in cars? That's my ideal package.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
nick81xd

ok im lost haha. you shouldn't be turned away from a job cause your a women, its all about the skills and passion you have for the work. If a women was employed at my work and could swing a spanner better then me congrats to her.
nick81xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #13
nitroman
nitroman

Well if these promo girls are wearing tighter than skin tight leotards and approach you with sexy smiles and want to talk what are you supposed to think?!! It's all a con and we all know it!
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
Old 12-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
LilMissDrift

No dont think i started that to stir a fight.. Im a girl who's got blue blood ok.. my fords my life... Im just saying how unfair it is to stereotype.. I mean i work with cars.. a lot.. I am just so annoyed with "coz im a chick" i must be fluking it.. I mean do u know too many chicks who try 2 sit there and explain the difference to their mates between a 302 & a 351... or explain to ur best friend whos just said theres a whine in her diff.. that her MIRAGE/LANCER doesnt have a DIFF coz its front wheel drive.. Like Im just sayin it gets old after a while... And the fact my best friend has a Lancer EVO9.. he gets stereotyped as a ricer.. and I mean whats to say he doesnt have the appreciation for the roar of a Blown 351?!

Not to mention >>>> if i were a ricer chick... I would be sittin here with a mirage with a bodykit, or lancer with chromies... or s13 out the front... not an au fairmont that im whinging about coz i cant supercharge it coz of Damn P plater regulations righr :sm_headba
~Spoiler

Old 12-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #15
bEAn86

yeah go the ricer chick
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #16
falconlover
Bathurst 2007, Ford 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick81xd
Girls with interests in cars rock, car shows girls are stuck up sluts. Give me a smart girl that looks decent and has cars on the brain 80% of the time anyday haha
Not all of them are i could have an awesome conversation with these girls and they're hot too. One even kissed me on the lips! :sm_headba
falconlover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #17
woteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissDrift
OK... So Im a chick, that was a bottle blonde (just love changing my hair) I love getting my nails done, and gettin all dressed up for no particular reason. But I have a passion for cars.. Is that OK? To be a girl and to have a keen interest for cars/bikes. Im my dad's only child, so i guess havin his little girl get out and work on the car with him was a bonus. And I always believed it was ok, as the whole sexist thing didnt hit me until i was about 14! I was sick of being able to show all the guys up at school with anything motor related.. and often got labelled as being too "boyish".. guess the older guys loved it.. But.. when i left school, I realised that it wasn't too acceptable for a girl to want to do anything automotive related.. I applied for Mechanics apprenticeships, spray painting/panel beating apprenticeships.. and got nothing but dissapointment from any response.. at one stage got told they wouldnt hire me as my "bodily features" may distract the "boys" in the workshop!!
Well, Even tho Im only 17.. I honestly think those of you out there who label "chicks" about stuff like this need to grow up.. and whats the go with dissing chicks that like the "Ricers" its a matter of personal preference.. what about all the guys that DRIVE the ricers.. Heres something to think about..

When meeting 2 chicks at a "CAR SHOW" who's your attention most likely to turn too? The Petite, Skinny, Blonde.. that drives the TWIN TURBOED r33 skyline/or Supra.. or the Tall, Bigger built brunette, that drives the Falcon/Commodore.. think about that one!
Go after an apprenticeship at a prestige Euro dealer. Girl I went to uni with had pretty much the same problem you're having. She ended up getting an apprenticeship in a city Porsche dealer. Not only that, but she also won apprentice of the year at her tafe not once but twice!
:hihi:
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #18
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Your still in Armidale? Country town won't help, lot's of "old fashioned" people (in the preconceptions of who should do what in relation to careers). Keep trying mate, someone will see your potential and hire you....By the way, I wish there were more like women like you (and most of the others on here)!

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #19
JG3282
Awake after dark

I can see this being discussed in a mature fashion for quite some time :

Anyway, my 2 cents...

I've got a partner, who's not a six foot blonde bimbo and is into cars. Particularly Fords. She even owns and drives a modified Ford. BUT she also likes old school Monaro's, GTR Skylines and Euro cars such as BMW and Renault.

She knows a bit about cars, which is essential in my family and is doing her utmost to make sure our son grows up to be a diehard Ford and Craig Lowndes supporter.

If I ever turned up in a Commodore, the chances are I'd be sleeping in the dog kennel for a week.

Oh and she takes a pretty good photo at the drags, just ask my friend the friendly ghost...

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #20
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Is that a trick question?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #21
nitroman
nitroman

You obviously know how to appreciate the finer things in life. Don't worry about other peoples opinions, they don't matter and aren't worth worrying about!
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #22
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:
if i were a ricer chick... I would be sittin here with a mirage with a bodykit, or lancer with chromies... or s13 out the front...
I've seen some pretty riced up VN-VS Commodores and unfortunately some very riced up E-series Fords too :nutsycuck

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #23
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For every guy that annoys you, there are 1000 more that admire you and what you stand for. I drive Falcons and get plenty of people come up to me to talk about my car, especially my XB. This whole being a chick thing, wears thin, and you begin to ignore it. People will start appreciating you for your passion for cars.

Anyway, now I find more chicks have a dig at my cars than blokes do...
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #24
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

It was once the same in my field (law) but that has changed greatly.

It takes time.

It does seem you are a little worked up about it (FEMI-NAZI lol....im just joking) but just let it slide right by.

People take me seriously most of the time when it comes to cars and im blonde, wear heels and skirts and have a girly giggle (so im told).
Use it to your advantage, suprise people with your knowledge. When they get embarrased that you know more, offer to teach them something.

If they still pick on you etc, its just because they are jealous. It is always because they are jealous.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #25
LilMissDrift

Yes I still live in Armidale... Im only 17.. moving away from my family at this stage probably wouldnt be too smart (im a18 in 6 weeks though),... Limited opportunities in a small town.. yes i agree with that... and moving to the city is in the cards at some stage soon...Im not having a shot at all you ford fans either.. LOL.. IM BUILT TOUGH.. but im just saying how stereotyped i can be... I mean the tall brunette.. i was referring to up above was indeed me.. and it wasnt a trick question.. im just saying.. if i were put against a blonde with a Skyline.. i know who the most common choice would be.. and i wouldnt change that because my fairmont is my baby (even if she is a straight 6)...

(By the way im not dissing the blondes.. i dye my hair a lot lol.. im only brunette for the moment.. LOL)
~Spoiler

Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #26
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

just ignore the *******s. there's alot of chicks out there that like cars my sis in law is building a datsun 1200 ute drag car ffs

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #27
XzLr8
Banned

so your saying the blonde with the skyline is better then you and your ford??? sorry mate but your wayyyyy to concious about this, you`ll get your apprentiship just gotta keep trying, ignore the d**** that tell girls arent as good as guys cause i guarantee they are just as good if not better. But just hang in there your turn will come.
XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #28
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Stereotypes, male/female, gay/straight...will always exist..as long as people have opinions...

You get out there and drive what YOU like.

Persue the career of YOUR choice.

If people put obstacles and opinions in your way.. Give them the bird and move on...

There is no greater satisfaction than knowing you did it your way !

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #29
LilMissDrift

LOL... as for the ricer thing.. yes i agree with the point that whats the go with someone putting an evo kit on a lancer and somehow thinking that its actually made it high performance is pretty pathetic.. but when it comes to the real deal.. like an evo.. a TURBOED skyline/supra.. etc... they can be pretty nice cars!

And yes.. that is coming from a FORD girl! LOL...
~Spoiler

Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Um yeah I think you need to get out of that town. My brother is 21 and started an apprentenceship with RACV (south melbourne), and he said there were quite a few chicks.

What freaks me out about women that know alot about cars is that its rare, and takes me by suprise. After that its great having a chat.

BTW, pics? :dr_Evil:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post