Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2021, 05:12 AM   #1
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default ‘Holy grail’ Holden could set new auction record.

How many more ultra low mileage classics are still hidden away?

https://www.speedcafe.com/torquecafe...uction-record/

Quote:
The Holden Torana A9X is one of the most iconic models ever built by the Lion brand. Now one of only 33 specially-built examples is up for sale and could set a new benchmark for Australian-made cars sold at auction.

This 1977 A9X is one of 33 built for race teams that year, each were double seam welded and painted white. Each were sold through General Motors Parts and Accessories division to race teams, so they are known as ‘GMP&A’ models. This is one of three shells purchased by Ron Hodgson Motors and was originally meant to be a spare in case of damage to the team’s other two racing examples. When it was needed for that the shell was built into the road-going specification it’s current in.

It will go under the hammer at this weekend’s Lloyds Auction and bidding was already up to $250,000 at the time of publication (Tuesday).

With only 475km on the odometer and still in factory condition, Lloyds chief operating officer, Lee Hames, believes this Torana could fetch more than the record-setting $1.1m HSV Maloo GTSR W1 ute that sold earlier this year.

“This is the holy grail of Holden motor collector cars in Australia, since Holden closed their doors many muscle car enthusiasts are mourning the loss of performance cars, and there has since been a resurgence in these classic cars,” Hames explained.

“With the Holden prices we’ve seen achieved at auction in the last six months, we certainly wouldn’t be surprised to see this car break records once again.”

Hames has reason to be confident with demand for Holdens at an all-time high. In addition to the HSV Maloo, the last Commodore off the local production line sold for $750,000 and a ‘77 Torana raced by John Harvey sold for $910,000 late in 2020.

Also going up for sale soon is another famous Holden, a 1982 HDT VH Group 3 that was once Peter Brock’s personal road car. Grays Auctions is selling the famous Commodore, which graced the cover of Modern Motor magazine alongside Brock’s racing version.

Bidding for the extremely rare Torana A9X will end on Saturday.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 05:48 AM   #2
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Default Re: ‘Holy grail’ Holden could set new auction record.

Is this the same car?
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/str...up-for-auction
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #3
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

So it was a shell. Did GMH put it into the road config or someone else? I'd want to see evidence.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
So it was a shell. Did GMH put it into the road config or someone else? I'd want to see evidence.
AFAIK the GM P&A A9Xs were more than a bare shell when they left the factory. I believe that they were a fully trimmed car, less the driveline, so that the race teams could transfer the running gear from an existing racecar, to make it more time efficient.

The blurb as read by Alan Jones (in the Lloyds video clip) says that it was "made into a complete car by Peter Malloy", who worked for Ron Hodgson.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcodezd View Post
According to the whichcar link that is Build #10, the one up for auction with Lloyds is listed as build #1

Auction >>> https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...&pgn=2&pgs=100

Quote:
Ron Hodgson had been running a very successful team racing Holden's and he purchased three of these shells in 1977. Two were immediately transformed into race cars for the team and the other was a spare in case of a major accident requiring a re-shell of a car. Two years later after the model was to be replaced with the first of the commodores, Hodgen's chief mechanic Peter Molloy was instructed to build up the untouched shell into a complete car in the same/similar race specs of the other two cars.
It has has just 475km since.

ICAARS Verification Certificate attached.

Chassis No: CLX061238M
ENG No: T933849

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
How many more ultra low mileage classics are still hidden away?
At least 2 low k A9X then.

There is no way I could resist adding big clicks if I owned it.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Im not one to usually bag cars but that is one ugly shed ornament! ;-)
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #8
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Each to his own and I'm sure someone will cough up considerable dollars for it and good luck to them.

But for me its just a shell that was then built up into road car configuration as per published comments. They were not complete cars just bodyshells.

This is one of three shells purchased by Ron Hodgson Motors...

Thus this comment is also total BS.

"With only 475km on the odometer and still in factory condition,"

So it's 475k's since it was rebuilt using all the spare bits from the workshop as it was only delivered as a body shell. Motor is probably a rebuild or had more that 475k on it or the odometer used was wound back .

It cannot be wholly described as being in factory condition built by the factory although some parts used may have been. It was put together by Peter Molloy probably using a variety of parts from numerous others.

It was never a factory built A9X. Much like the many HO's we see built up but they are not the full on genuine article.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
Each to his own and I'm sure someone will cough up considerable dollars for it and good luck to them.

But for me its just a shell that was then built up into road car configuration as per published comments. They were not complete cars just bodyshells.

So it's 475k's since it was rebuilt using all the spare bits from the workshop as it was only delivered as a body shell. Motor is probably a rebuild or had more that 475k on it or the odometer used was wound back .

It cannot be wholly described as being in factory condition built by the factory although some parts used may have been. It was put together by Peter Molloy probably using a variety of parts from numerous others.

It was never a factory built A9X. Much like the many HO's we see built up but they are not the full on genuine article.
Tend to agree. A bit like the 3 race-prepared "P4s". I'd rather a factory A9X. If I was buying a GMP&A car I'd want racing history at least.

As it is it's neither fish nor fowl...tricky one.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Im not one to usually bag cars but that is one ugly shed ornament! ;-)
Really? I reckon it's horny as.
Sure it's no GT coupe, but sexy all the same.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2021, 08:54 PM   #11
slowsnake
Banned

This may be a silly question but what type of tag would it have, as in to be road registered, etc, if it was a shell or rolling chassis would it have the original chassis?...or has someone taken a wrecked car/body and just swapped old body for new on an existing car.

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2021, 11:58 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

If I had the spare coin I would definitely find a spot for it in my shed, wouldn't think twice about it.....

Old 24-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #13
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post

I realise that they were called 'SHELLS' but I believe that they were rolling shells complete with trim.

They even came with a factory body plate which listed the paint colour & interior trim code. They are factory built A9X rolling shells.

The 'factory condition' comment would apply to the body & trim, but not the drivetrain, so it's not all BS. Same with the 475 km on the odo, it probably has travelled that distance since the drivetrain was fitted.

Dr Terry
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 09:04 AM   #14
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
This may be a silly question but what type of tag would it have, as in to be road registered, etc, if it was a shell or rolling chassis would it have the original chassis?...or has someone taken a wrecked car/body and just swapped old body for new on an existing car.

Cheers King Billy
It has a factory body plate with paint & trim details along with codes for an L31/Super T10/2.6 diff.

It also has a factory stamped chassis number.

It does not have a factory fitted ADR compliance plate because it didn't leave the factory as a complete driving car.

Dr Terry
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #15
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
It has a factory body plate with paint & trim details along with codes for an L31/Super T10/2.6 diff.

It also has a factory stamped chassis number.

It does not have a factory fitted ADR compliance plate because it didn't leave the factory as a complete driving car.

Dr Terry
I thought the body number was GMP&A on these spare shells?

The another spare A9X shell that Street Machine gave away had that stamped on the ID tag at least
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #16
Pis-ton broke
Banned

can a ADR compliance plate be gotten?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #17
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare ss View Post
I thought the body number was GMP&A on these spare shells?

The another spare A9X shell that Street Machine gave away had that stamped on the ID tag at least
The chassis number & body number are 2 different things. The body number is (as you correctly say) is GM P&A, but the chassis number is CLXxxxxx.

Pre-1989 the chassis number was stamped into the body work & the body number is stamped on the body plate.

Dr Terry
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
can a ADR compliance plate be gotten?
In a word NO.

Having said that, I believe that once over a certain age & with documentary proof the vehicle can still be road registered.

Dr Terry
5 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #19
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

........It does not have a factory fitted ADR compliance plate because it didn't leave the factory as a complete driving car...
So essentially it is BS to be advertised as being a full on factory condition A9X as it never existed in this current guise as it was only a shell or rolling shell from the factory. It probably got its 495klm on the back on a tilt tray being delivered

It's obviously got some pedigree but you have to agree it IS NOT a factory produced complete A9X.

Same as the HO discussed on here that was a body and built up. Body was a HO the rest no.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #20
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Don’t get why it’s going to be a million dollar car.
This should be as it is a GMP&A car with full race history in race guise.
https://www.australianmusclecarsales...ace-car-244426
The white one is a shell with some bits screwed on that made it into a car similar to an A9X.
Someone with too much money will buy it.
Old 26-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #21
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Not quite the what was predicted though still impressive.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #22
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just as moffat and bonds 1978/79 falcons were not true cobras
the 3 lot 4 xa sedans are not true gtho ph4
this is not a true a9x
its a torana hatch racing body with a9x spec running gear

and you might have a lot of trouble registering it, tho i doubt you would want to risk it on parramatta road with all the school mums in suvs and bogons in twin cabs and old commodores.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 12:24 AM   #23
zilo
BANNED

I preferred the shape of the UC Torana hatch, the LX looked like a dinosaur after the UC hit the showrooms.
Haven't seen one in years now....wish we had kept ours.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post